• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Believe it or not, trite, I see your point. BUT!
A silhouette is just as viable. Dark Emperor's name was also not mentioned, yet his fate is obvious.
And YES, I believe it MAY have an unfinished stage hazard. EVERYTHING is SUBJECT TO CHANGE, and when he SAID an old foe of Samus' may appear at any second, he MAY have been referring to the fact they were WORKING on him..

If Ridley did infact start being made by the time that Pic of the Day OF COURSE he'd be finished by now.

NOT TO MENTION THE FACT SAKURAI IS KNOWN TO TROLL HIS FANS WITH FALSE HOPE!

When it comes to highly requested characters, Sakurai has either done two things.

1) He's outright De-Confirmed them
As He did we Walugi, Ashley, Skull Kid, Dillon, ect.

2) He teases them.
As he did with Little Mac's Boxing Ring.

And i don't know if you've ever had something teased at you before.

BUT THIS

Is most certainly. A. Tease.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

If Ridley did infact start being made by the time that Pic of the Day OF COURSE he'd be finished by now.

When it comes to highly requested characters, Sakurai has either done two things.

2) He teases them.
As he did with Little Mac's Boxing Ring. PROVIDE ANOTHER 1 OR 2 EXAMPLES.

BUT THIS

Implying that Dillon was as popular as Ashley and Skull Kid DOES NOT help your argument.
And since when does Sakurai ever do the exact same thing all through development?

Also, see comment in bold in your quote.

D

Deleted member

It would take a pretty simple mind to not find something odd with that.
Then I must have a simple mind.

What's clear to me is that with Yellow Devil being shown as the only Stage Boss so far (no, Dark Emperor hasn't been shown as one), Sakurai wants to hype up this new-to-Smash concept.
Why I feel he's keeping Ridley relatively hidden is because Ridley is part of this new concept. The little hints, including the shadow on Pyrosphere during the statement that there will be other Stage Bosses, are a way to say "Ridley's one too!" without directly giving it away.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

2) He teases them.

BUT THIS

It's a tease. But a tease at a stage hazard most likely. Unless we get information that were to turn the tables on the whole boss idea.

Doesn't matter if he's finished. Sakurai could just as easily be saying here, "Stay tuned for more Boss character info! Get pumped for Ridley on Pyrosphere!" Just because Ridley is highly requested doesn't mean he's automatically going to be playable. From what we've been shown, it should be assumed he's a boss hazard thing.

There is literally nothing that shows him as playable. All the questionable things about the footage can be explained easily.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm sorry but I don't see how it would be "too late" to show him as a hazard when it's all but confirmed he'll be a boss on Pyrosphere.
ah I have to repeat this again but if you just take the potd quote and the direct, it can be proven by FACTS ONLY that it is impossible to tell. Pm me if you want details but EVERY evidences has a double meaning (example: Sakurai either said that other boss character which includes ridley makes appearance on other stages which includes pyroshpere. But if you take his word literally, he said that other boss character which might not be ridley makes appearance on other stages which might not be pyrosphere. I can tell you this for everything.)

This double meaning is either

he's hyping the fact that he's an hazard
or
he's hiding the fact that he's playable

I think it's clear that this clip was prepared so that we can only speculate and interpret the fact but again, this could have been for the same reason above which means that you can't even tell after you know about it.

If you understand this, then just read again my previous message it will make more sense.

D

Deleted member

Some say Sakurai showing the shadow hints towards Ridley at some playable role.
I myself is unsure about the matter, but I'm leaning a 51/50 about it.
No it doesn't. That hint came at where the bosses were mentioned. It's pretty obvious that Ridley is a boss at this point.
...... He showed his F**ing silhouette while talking about bosses. Anyone who honestly thinks he still has a chance must be on something/

No offense, but he's not getting in, especially with Samus/Zamus now taking 2 SEPERATE spots.
I doubt Ridley will be in, but this is a horrible reason. Sakurai doesn't count characters by slots, he counts them by individual move sets. That's why Sakurai considered Brawl to have thirty-nine characters instead of thirty-five.
Meanwhile while everyone is denying Ridley obviously being a boss on Pyrosphere, I'm anticipating Shulk to be revealed at E3. Shulk being revealed at E3 would be perfect timing considering the factors of the up coming X going to get exposure again, and more importantly the game Xenoblade Chronicles was first released on June 10th, coincidentally the same day E3 starts.
I'm more so hoping for Mewtwo or King K. Rool to show up at E3 myself. But right now, I'm expecting Palutena, Mii, and Pac-Man, although to be fair, that doesn't take into account the possibility of the entire roster being shown off.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Keybladeguy said:
2) He teases them. PROVIDE ANOTHER 1 OR 2 EXAMPLES.

The... defense ..

Has no evidence your honour.

...Debating isn't my thing....

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You're kinda suggesting that Sakurai wouldn't purposely hold off on info concerning stages, which isn't the case at all. Let's look at the Punch Out stage for example.

• E3 2013: We get a look at the Smash Boxing Ring stage.
  • About a month later: You can use the ropes around the ring to improve your jumps.
  • Feb Nintendo Direct: Little Mac reveal showing the stage has been changed to a Punch Out Stage.
  • 2 weeks later: Sakurai reveals that there are 2 versions of this stage.
  • Just a few days ago: Sakurai informs us that you can use the ropes to jump onto the lights up above and can cause the lights to come crashing down.

My point is that Sakurai purposely holds off on things. I understand that you guys want to hold onto the idea that Ridley can be playable, but right now his chances are unlikely.
But you can see the same points this way:
• Generic boxing stage shown; people's hope diminishes for Little Mac
• When Little Mac is revealed, we see the boxing ring decked out with Punch Out logos (Sakurai was being deceiving with the stage)
• Sakurai hints twice that Ridley is a boss on Pyrosphere
• Maybe it turns out that Ridley is also playable

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Assuming that Ridley is only going to be a boss, why hype him in a non-playable role despite Western demands for a playable Ridley?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
• When Little Mac is revealed, we see the boxing ring decked out with Punch Out logos (Sakurai was being deceiving with the stage)
Yes, because Little Mac was shown as a Boss on that stage :applejack:

Assuming that Ridley is only going to be a boss, why hype him in a non-playable role despite Western demands for a playable Ridley?
Sakurai doesn't always seem to understand demand. And he aims to please the Japanese a tad but more than our side of the world.

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
NO! When that Boxing Ring got shown, most people thought that meant Little Mac had a serious chance at being playable. Also, it's not like Sakurai showed a shadow of Little Mac on that stage while saying, "Other playable characters might appear" so there is a clear cut difference.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Ridley is fishy for sure. I think he's going to be playable, along with the rest of the Sal leaked characters, and maybe one or two more. It just seems weird to drag out his reveal. I think other M Ridley will be the boss, and normal Ridley will be playable

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ridley's Clone is a stage hazard, there is no denying this.

Whether the original Ridley has any role in this Smash title has yet to be determined.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Ridley is fishy for sure. I think he's going to be playable, along with the rest of the Sal leaked characters, and maybe one or two more. It just seems weird to drag out his reveal. I think other M Ridley will be the boss, and normal Ridley will be playable
It doesn't seem weird when you consider the fact that Stage Bosses are a completely new concept in Smash and Sakurai probably wants to hold off on revealing many things about it or how the Bosses will differ from each other.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
Out of curiosity, what is your explanation for the way Ridley moves?
The game is almost complete, so he's likely not in early development. He moves much like a playable character, rather than a boss (man I've said that so many times lately).

And also the fact that lava seems to be treated as a stage hazard in Pyrosphere in a Final Destination (no lava, that is) makes me skeptical of a boss appearance (two stage hazards?). Plus the gaping hole that many expected Ridley's head to pop out of is still there.

So there's a lot going in his favor, believe it or not. I become more confident each day because it's looking like a classic Sakurai move more and more.
I really didn't expect you to say that, since you have been pretty negative in the past about Ridley, but I'm glad you've changed sides Shorti- uh, Shorts.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yep. Think they spent the one western slot on Little Mac. Not that I'm complaining.
That's one more western slot than we got in Brawl.
So we can't really make that judgement. Sakurai could be putting a much larger focus on the west this time.

Also, Sakurai usually trolls us not to be mean or because he doesn't give us what we want. Most of the time it ends well or directly after the trolling.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
The game is almost complete, so he's likely not in early development. He moves much like a playable character, rather than a boss (man I've said that so many times lately).

And also the fact that lava seems to be treated as a stage hazard in Pyrosphere in a Final Destination (no lava, that is) makes me skeptical of a boss appearance (two stage hazards?). Plus the gaping hole that many expected Ridley's head to pop out of is still there.

So there's a lot going in his favor, believe it or not. I become more confident each day because it's looking like a classic Sakurai move more and more.

I really didn't expect you to say that, since you have been pretty negative in the past about Ridley, but I'm glad you've changed sides Shorti- uh, Shorts.
The Wii U version comes out at the end of the year, so it's very likely that Ridley might not have been as complete as the Yellow Devil. Also, was there some picture showing the lava in Pyroshpere as a Stage Hazard? I don't remember seeing anything showing that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Something I'd like to note about Ridley "not moving like a boss" is that the only boss we've seen in full is the Yellow Devil. The movements of the bosses could easily vary greatly between one and another this time around.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The Wii U version comes out at the end of the year, so it's very likely that Ridley might not have been as complete as the Yellow Devil. Also, was there some picture showing the lava in Pyroshpere as a Stage Hazard? I don't remember seeing anything showing that.
Nothing showed lava as a stage hazard, but I've come to that conclusion using simple judgement.
In normal Pyrosphere, lava pours from the walls.
On Final Destination Pyrosphere, it does not.
So it's probably a stage hazard.

And the Wii U version is coming out later but there's no way that the game is anywhere behind "finishing touches" mode.
Something I'd like to note about Ridley "not moving like a boss" is that the only boss we've seen in full is the Yellow Devil. The movements of the bosses could easily vary greatly between one and another this time around.
I like comparing it to Subspace, at least until we see more bosses.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The key aspect of the Direct that Ridley detractors seem to have completely disregarded would have to be the notion ambiguity. Fun fact: silhouettes are historically used to keep something vague or mysterious. Ironically, I am using this term to describe the vagueness and the premise that there were two separate messages presented to the audience. One has to remember, it was an audio clip over a game-play clip. Sakurai didn't necessarily allude to anything objectively, it was edited to appear as though Ridley was a boss character. This is where logic applies, one might assert that it is logical to interpret what Sakurai said verbatim; however, that is not rational as there is a direct contradiction.

1. It is counter-intuitive for him to reveal Ridley without revealing him if his intent was to establish Ridley as a boss character, this is fairly common sense.
2. If he is establishing Ridley as a boss character, why does he only show-case that shadow, a symbol of ambiguity? There is no feasible reason, well actually there is, and that would be that Ridley isn't a stage-hazard.
3. This one is redundant; but de-confirmations are usually overt. This was not a de-confirmation by definition.

I have more reasons, but they escape me as of current. This is honestly a case of evidence vs. logic. Ridley detractors have more "evidence" and Ridley supporters are using more "logic" to support their arguments.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

Unfortunately for you this BS Theory has already been disproven.

You are to seriously think that a stage that's been shown since the announcement would have an Unfinished Stage Hazard?
Even Yellow Devil was shown then.

Yes the said "Other Boss Characters Will Appear too"
BUT, you give me the exact time Ridley's NAME was mentioned.

Long Story Short,

It wasn't.

BS Reasoning aside we didn't even SEE him.

It would take a pretty simple mind to not find something odd with that.
You think the direct was aimed only at hardcore Smash Bros. fanatics or that it was made specifically to cater to us at Smash Boards? No. Nintendo needs to push the Wii U and appeal to everyone as much as possible. True gamers argue about frames per second and care about that stuff, but in the direct Sakurai clearly made the statement he was going to be technical for a moment when describing assist trophies and Pokemon on the 3DS version. We here didn't think it was technical. We thought it was cool.

But think about the hundreds of thousands of people who play Smash and don't visit these boards and aren't expecting Ridley to be playable. They probably haven't even thought of him being playable. So when Sakurai showed that shadow and said "other bosses may appear as well," to me, like the FPS subject, he wasn't catering to us. He was aiming that at the rest of the gaming world or to all those people who really don't know Metroid that well but remember vaguely what Ridley looks like from Brawl.

Not everyone is a Metroid fan or even expects Ridley to get in the game. That's a mindset pretty specific to us here at Smash Boards. Heck, I don't even see Ridley mentioned on Miiverse. Showing him as a shadow during the direct was, to me, Sakurai teasing a boss character, not toying with Smash Boards Ridley fans' emotions.

I think this is again up to interpretation. Ridley, to me, moved in a very robotic motion. He moved in a straight line across at a consistent speed (flying in the air at the exact same height, I might add, a feat which no character except Peach can do), stopped completely still with no slowdown or slight momentum after letting go of the controller like every other character has, and then dropped down in an exact straight line and picked up Pikachu, only to return to hovering in the air again while hitting him once or twice. I honestly can't see how people see it as moving like a playable character.

He moved like a boss. He swoops in the stage. Floats around in the air, and will occasionally chase someone back and forth before grabbing them in his claws and dealing damage. Meanwhile, while they're stunned and grabbed, other opponents can hit him or the other player who's being held. It makes sense for a boss encounter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because the fact some stages are getting special boss fights is a hypable thing to Sakurai?

Everything isn't always about the Ridley fanbase, you know.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
...... He showed his F**ing silhouette while talking about bosses. Anyone who honestly thinks he still has a chance must be on something/

No offense, but he's not getting in, especially with Samus/Zamus now taking 2 SEPERATE spots.
If Ridley was a boss, they would've shown his freaking body already! Trolling us with just his shadow only tells us he still has a shot at being playable. Then again, we can go ahead and say that Ridley can also pull a Toon Link.

With all this Shulk discussion, I should probably consider playing Xenoblade because I don't really care for Shulk's inclusion.
I think Dixie will be revealed during E3, and I doubt K. Rool will be playable. Just a gut feeling, and a bad one. . .
Damn I really need to play Xenoblade right now. Bought it in September and barely started lol

Meanwhile I'm here not giving a ****.
I like you already

D

Deleted member

If Ridley was a boss, they would've shown his freaking body already! Trolling us with just his shadow only tells us he still has a shot at being playable. Then again, we can go ahead and say that Ridley can also pull a Toon Link.
Explain the logic behind "they would've shown his freaking body already".

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
ohh cool we have 2 Ridley threads now, this is awesome. This one needs to be re-titled so everyone can know though the wording is a little ambiguous.

Thankfully speaking, this whole Ridley debate over whether or not he is non-playable should be all over at E3.
Or Sakurai will show another 4 seconds of his shadow

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm seeing so much controversy that I not gonna bother about this whole Ridley argument. I shall wait to talk about my opinions until we know what he is in this title

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
"they would've shown his freaking body already"

While it does make sense that he would be finished by now, it's not unreasonable to assume otherwise. There is nothing that can prove that is indeed the case.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I'm pretty sure you can figure this out. No need to tease Ridley when one can just slam the deconfirmation card on a character.
OR he just wanted to tease a boss character. Seriously, when has Sakurai ever teased an actual character, other than the two seconds he said Zero Suit Samus wasn't playable? He's not that cruel. I'm pretty certain he meant the shadow as a deconfirmation and people here took it the exact opposite way.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Guys, guys.

Regardless of whether or not Ridley is playable this time around, he's been able to blow up so much controversy in smashboards again after almost 10 years.

That's a true legacy.

after that, does his playability even matter?

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Ignoring the Ridley topic, did anyone else notice Issac was not revealed with all the other Brawl assists in the direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom