• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's not really the place to talk about that letdown of a livestream. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
Don't worry; Sceptile will show up in Smash once his Mega Evolution is revealed during E3, right before the Smash Brothers trailer. :troll:
(I keed, I keed)

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
THANKS GAME FREAK

This obviously tells us that a Groudon + Kyogre tag team will be appearing as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. For the Wii U and 3DS. :lick:

Last edited:

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
Oh cool. It was just Groudon and Kyogre using Drought and Drizzle respectively.

Goodbye friends, the dream is dead and I'm going back to hoping they add Naruto to Smash. :troll:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
THANKS GAME FREAK

This obviously tells us that a Groudon + Kyogre tag team will be appearing as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. For the Wii U and 3DS. :lick:
Kyogre is de-confirmed though.

But not Groudon!

Groudon for Smash.

...You know, you'd think Groudon would show up if the remakes mattered to Smash 4...

Last edited:

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
More like waste of hype. It was only a 40 second clip if that.

Enough of the Sceptile talk, we all know that the true Gen 3 rep is Slakoth.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Kyogre is de-confirmed though.

But not Groudon!

Groudon for Smash.

...You know, you'd think Groudon would show up if the remakes mattered to Smash 4...
When Kyogre joins the battle, Huntail is in charge of his Pokeball.
Huntail: "Leave it to me!"

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
What Xeno said, except maybe less direct about it. This is really getting out of hand to think that we'll get Pokemon from a past generation simply because it's getting remakes.

Don't get me wrong. I love Generation III. Easily one of my favorite. Hell, I even started a thread specifically for a Hoenn Pokemon Trainer way before forms were separated into their own characters. I know where you're all coming from, in other words. But, there is nothing to denote any Hoenn Pokemon being more likely than any other Pokemon representative at this point.

Jigglypuff has been a veteran since the start and is easy to make compared to other characters. That's one slot for her.
Mewtwo is literally the most requested Smash Bros. character and was a veteran in Melee. He has had exposure as both a legendary of the main region of the generation and has actually been mentioned by Sakurai himself post-SSB4's development. That's, in all likelihood, one slot for him

Add those two with our confirmed Pokemon and we have 6 Pokemon characters. Not mere moveslots like in Brawl--6 parts of the actual roster. That's already larger than Mario's amount... Yet you guys are pushing the idea for 7 (or a Hoenn Pokemon replacing either of the above, which is absurd in its own right)... For what? Remakes being announced late in SSB4's development? Hoenn is great and it's currently the shiny new thing, but for god's sake, that doesn't make it Sakurai's top priority to advertise. Considering how the roster would have had to have been conceptually finalized a while ago, that leaves no time or reason for Sakurai to just grab a Hoenn Pokemon and put them in over the other two big characters left for Pokemon in Smash.

Seriously, who are we holding a candle up to Jigglypuff and Mewtwo? Plusle/Minun? Sceptile? Captain Falcon Blaziken? Can you seriously tell me any of you would expect any of these characters in Smash Bros. 10 years from now? Unless you are blinded by nostalgia or hype for the Ruby/Sapphire remakes, then no, I do not think you would.

Again, this coming from a Hoenn die-hard: We're not due for getting a playable Hoenn Pokemon in Smash Bros. Period.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
So, I was doing some modifications on one of my rosters (it's become a hobby since joining), and noticed that I didn't have ICs. I had no intention of 'cutting' them, and I know for a fact they were on a previous version. I simply have no ****ing idea where they went. And now I'm seriously struggling to fit them back in. So I guess what I'm asking is, anyone else create rosters just for fun?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Sigh. I'd love Sceptile or Grovyle, but Blaziken was the Lucario/Zoroark of gen 3, so it'd be odd to promote Sceppy over it, assuming there's even a Hoenn Pokemon at all. And the Swampert fans would be left out.

----

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Keep things on topic, guys. Discussion about the Gen III remakes should remain strictly related to Smash and even then keep it brief. That being said, I'm totally cool with Sceptile. However, my top pick for a Gen III rep would of been Blaziken but that's sadly not happening. I do not see a Hoenn newcomer happening at all.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What Xeno said, except maybe less direct about it. This is really getting out of hand to think that we'll get Pokemon from a past generation simply because it's getting remakes.

Don't get me wrong. I love Generation III. Easily one of my favorite. Hell, I even started a thread specifically for a Hoenn Pokemon Trainer way before forms were separated into their own characters. I know where you're all coming from, in other words. But, there is nothing to denote any Hoenn Pokemon being more likely than any other Pokemon representative at this point.

Jigglypuff has been a veteran since the start and is easy to make compared to other characters. That's one slot for her.
Mewtwo is literally the most requested Smash Bros. character and was a veteran in Melee. He has had exposure as both a legendary of the main region of the generation and has actually been mentioned by Sakurai himself post-SSB4's development. That's, in all likelihood, one slot for him

Add those two with our confirmed Pokemon and we have 6 Pokemon characters. Not mere moveslots like in Brawl--6 parts of the actual roster. That's already larger than Mario's amount... Yet you guys are pushing the idea for 7 (or a Hoenn Pokemon replacing either of the above, which is absurd in its own right)... For what? Remakes being announced late in SSB4's development? Hoenn is great and it's currently the shiny new thing, but for god's sake, that doesn't make it Sakurai's top priority to advertise. Considering how the roster would have had to have been conceptually finalized a while ago, that leaves no time or reason for Sakurai to just grab a Hoenn Pokemon and put them in over the other two big characters left for Pokemon in Smash.

Seriously, who are we holding a candle up to Jigglypuff and Mewtwo? Plusle/Minun? Sceptile? Captain Falcon Blaziken? Can you seriously tell me any of you would expect any of these characters in Smash Bros. 10 years from now? Unless you are blinded by nostalgia or hype for the Ruby/Sapphire remakes, then no, I do not think you would.

Again, this coming from a Hoenn die-hard: We're not due for getting a playable Hoenn Pokemon in Smash Bros. Period.
Oh thank goodness, a voice of reason.

KEEP THE STARTER TRIFECTA!

A grass starter shall prevail!
I don't think that's necessary if there isn't an actually good, obvious choice for such a role. The closest thing to that at the moment is Sceptile, but even that has some major problems.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
But we already have a type trifecta.

Charizard beats Lucario
Lucario beats Greninja
Greninja beats Charizard

A perfect triangle.
Heh, didn't notice that. Nice one. I think that they'd grab a grass type if they were seriously after THE trifecta, though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But we already have a type trifecta.

Charizard beats Lucario
Lucario beats Greninja
Greninja beats Charizard

A perfect triangle.
Add into that:

Pikachu beats Charizard
Mewtwo beats Lucario
Jigglypuff beats Greninja.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Add into that:

Pikachu beats Charizard
Mewtwo beats Lucario
Psychic is neutral against Lucario. Steel(resist)/Fighting(super)

Well, unless you count the Psychic/Fighting Mega-Evolution

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Psychic is neutral against Lucario. Steel(resist)/Fighting(super)

Well, unless you count the Psychic/Fighting Mega-Evolution
Oh yeah...well, Mega Mewtwo X beats Lucario, anyway. :p

Anyway, I don't really get the whole "Ike is an inevitable cut" thing. I don't expect a lot of cuts, and Squirtle and Ivysaur are basically confirmed to be gone already. Add in the fact that Snake's extremely questionable because Kojima, and I still don't find Ike to be a likely cut. Heck, I still think they'd cut Lucas before Ike...

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Heck, I still think they'd cut Lucas before Ike...
Lucas doesn't have a threat of a replacement looming in terms of there being a new poster-boy. We can't say the same for Ike.

I don't think Ike is going to be cut, but in a flavor of the month series like Fire Emblem, I'd assume he'd be on the chopping block before Lucas ever is.

Last edited:

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
Oh yeah...well, Mega Mewtwo X beats Lucario, anyway. :p

Anyway, I don't really get the whole "Ike is an inevitable cut" thing. I don't expect a lot of cuts, and Squirtle and Ivysaur are basically confirmed to be gone already. Add in the fact that Snake's extremely questionable because Kojima, and I still don't find Ike to be a likely cut. Heck, I still think they'd cut Lucas before Ike...
UGGHH MY HEART. Sadly, I have to agree. Lucas would definitely get cut before Ike. I can't think of a reason why he WOULD be cut.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lucas doesn't have a threat of a replacement looming in terms of there being a new poster-boy. We can't say the same for Ike.

I don't think Ike is going to be cut, but in a flavor of the month series like Fire Emblem, I'd assume he'd be on the chopping block before Lucas ever is.
While admittedly not my strongest reasoning, the reason I see Ike over Lucas if the situation ever came down to it boils down to this:

• Despite being a flavor-of-the-month cast, Fire Emblem Awakening does give Ike quite a bit of regard (Priam exists, after all). They've acknowledged his popularity, so I think Ike has become sort of a Fire Emblem icon at this point, at least to IS.
  • Ness and Lucas are quite similar (obviously not full-on clones, but still similar) and were thought to be interchangeable at one point (during Melee, at least). Ness can be seen as the series' posterchild due to Smash Bros. Lucas doesn't have as much clout yet, and though it doesn't matter really, he's the only veteran left from a Japan-only title. And worse come to worse, many of Lucas' moves...fit right in for Ness' custom move fodder. Add in the fact that Mother's a dead series, and I just honestly find Lucas to be closer to the chopping block than Ike. Though, admittedly, I don't really think either will be cut.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Plusle and Minun, Sceptile, and Blaziken>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mewtwo

I still can't grasp why people like that ugly boring thing, but to each their own I guess.

Still gonna support Sceptile. :troll:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Plusle and Minun, Sceptile, and Blaziken>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mewtwo

I still can't grasp why people like that ugly boring thing, but to each their own I guess.

Still gonna support Sceptile. :troll:
Almost had me there. Good one! :troll:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Almost had me there. Good one! :troll:
:troll:

Now don't get me wrong, despite Mewtwo being my third least favorite Pokémon (:234: and :125: are the only things I find to be worse), he is totally deserving of being in Smash. So basically, I hate him, but I acknowledge his popularity and how much he deserves to be in Smash. I won't try to be a Mewtwo Detractor before or after his possible reveal. Of course, I'll be happy if he doesn't get in, but I guess I could try to be slightly happy for his legion of fans if he does.

I'll still express my distaste for him every once and a while :p

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
The Internet is officially over.
[collapse=oh really?]
252+ SpA Mewtwo Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 290-342 (103.2 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I used the stats for my own Mewtwo, who is rash.
Technically, Mewtwo beats everyone who has been playable in smash so far due to being OP as **** :rolleyes:[/collapse]
People Just think he'll go down the route of the ONE character cut before him because he's not Marth.
I've seen people who thought Marth was a cut for Lucina or something before his reveal, and i saw people thinking he was gone in brawl as well.. People just really like cutting FE chars.
Add into that:

Pikachu beats Charizard
Mewtwo beats Lucario
Lucario beats jiggs if he has any steel moves

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
[collapse=oh really?]
252+ SpA Mewtwo Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 290-342 (103.2 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I used the stats for my own Mewtwo, who is rash. [/collapse]

People Just think he'll go down the route of the ONE character cut before him because he's not Marth.
I've seen people who thought Marth was a cut for Lucina or something before his reveal, and i saw people thinking he was gone in brawl as well.. People just really like cutting FE chars.
People just like cutting characters in general; they believe that some of the safest veterans such as Toon Link, Jigglypuff or Wolf are in danger (because of their low-priority 6 years ago), only to find that they are going to return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom