• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I count only 29 confirmations thus far, I think you are assuming to much about who is going to be in the game.
Like I said, I will entertain the possibility of 44, but if what sakurai said still holds true, I say there is no way we are getting more than that.
I'm counting with the obvious veterans from Brawl, though. ^^

With all Brawl's characters, plus the 6 Newcomers, there's 45. If you remove Ivy, Squirtle, Snake, and Ike, there's 41 characters. If the roster is only 41, then we already know all the newcomers. :/

No way that's the case. Especially not with the extremely likely leaks saying Mii, PacMan, Chrom, Shulk, Palutena, Chorus Dudes, etc will be in. As well as the still likely Ridley, and the KINDA slightly likely Rool, but even ignoring those two, I Think it's safe to assume there will be at least extremely Close to 50.

Not trying to argue or so, just saying. :)

D

Deleted member

No way will the roster be close to 40 as opposed to 50. I'd say anything from 48-52 is a good guess.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
It's looking the roster will be larger in spite of what Sakurai said early on. People on here didn't seem to believe him anyway but miiverse seemed convinced we were getting a 20 person roster with mario and link replaced with goku and shadow the hedgehog.

The moral of the story, Sakurai is a troll and doesn't know what he wants himself half the time. I'm surprised I've not got a heart condition considering all the pinches of salt I've taken with what he's said over the last year.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Alright guys, let's debate again play a game :

Since Direct's broadcasting, I as trying to remake my fan-roster, but I block on some choices that are represented with logos of series like DK, FIre Emblem and Pokémon.

For the DK slot, I hesitate between K. Rool and Dixie.
For the first FE slot, I hesitate between Ike and Chrom.
For the second FE slot, I hesitate between Chrom and Robin.
And for the Pokémon slot, I hesitate between Jigglypuff and Mewtwo.

What would be your choices for each of those slots ?
King K Rool, because more popular, unique, and also becauseKrittersareinSmashRun.
Ike. If there are three FE characters, he's not going anywhere.
Robin, because I don't buy into leaks ever and she is far more unique.
Mewtwo. Since I doubt "Both" is an option, which I choose everytime because there's literally no reason to not have either of them, Mewtwo has slightly more going for him.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I'm counting with the obvious veterans from Brawl, though. ^^

With all Brawl's characters, plus the 6 Newcomers, there's 45. If you remove Ivy, Squirtle, Snake, and Ike, there's 41 characters. If the roster is only 41, then we already know all the newcomers. :/

No way that's the case. Especially not with the extremely likely leaks saying Mii, PacMan, Chrom, Shulk, Palutena, Chorus Dudes, etc will be in. As well as the still likely Ridley, and the KINDA slightly likely Rool, but even ignoring those two, I Think it's safe to assume there will be at least extremely Close to 50.

Not trying to argue or so, just saying. :)
But, the only solid reasoning and evidence I have heard thus far would be for the inclusion of Palutena and Rool. Everyone else seems to be based on people's feelings and speculation.

D

Deleted member

Nothing can be as disastrous as post-Brawl roster threads. 48-52 was about the size of the average Brawl roster on here. It'll be hilarious if even SSB4 can't match those expectations.

On one hand, the fact that Sheik and ZSS are their own characters, and Charizard has been balkanized to get rid of Squirtle/Ivysaur, suggests a small roster. On the other, no SSE means there is far more development time and Namco-Bandai has their top men on the job. I lean towards optimism, in the long term. If E3 is crap, though, I'm going to start guessing low too.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
34 veterans plus the 6 confirmed and the leaky chorus and leaky 3 (Chorus Men, Chrom, Palutena, Shulk, Pac-Man, Mii)
Which would make 13 newcomers plus the retro (Takamaru).
Honestly expecting 45-50 is fine by me.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Nothing can be as disastrous as post-Brawl roster threads. 48-52 was about the size of the average Brawl roster on here. It'll be hilarious if even SSB4 can't match those expectations.
What characters were they even adding?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

On one hand, the fact that Sheik and ZSS are their own characters, and Charizard has been balkanized to get rid of Squirtle/Ivysaur, suggests a small roster. On the other, no SSE means there is far more development time and Namco-Bandai has their top men on the job. I lean towards optimism, in the long term. If E3 is crap, though, I'm going to start guessing low too.
Yeah, I agree, having separate characters now is another reason to expect a small roster. I can't imagine a 50 plus character selection screen on the 3ds. It'd be time to invest in some good ol' reading spectacles.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
But, the only solid reasoning and evidence I have heard thus far would be for the inclusion of Palutena and Rool. Everyone else seems to be based on people's feelings and speculation.
I am not sure there are much 'evidence' for King K. Rool, not counting the Kremlings. Palutena is a given by now.

The others, well, have you followed the Rumors and such? Most/all those I mentiones are VERY likely to be in by now. ^^

D

Deleted member

There was no self-restraint back then, so basically every character you could imagine.

Yeah, I agree, having separate characters now is another reason to expect a small roster. I can't imagine a 50 plus character selection screen on the 3ds. It'd be time to invest in some good ol' reading spectacles.
Good point, but I'm sure that Sakurai could find a way to get around that problem, plus it's not much better to have 40 on the CSS than 50.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
A lot of the characters that we're requesting; I remember staunchly supporting Ridley, Mach Rider, and Paper Mario, and I thought Geno and Skull Kid would be really cool but moderately unlikely.

Fully possible they'll change from a giant screen with all the characters to a list that you need to iterate through, somewhat like anime fighting games that have FAR too many characters for one screen. I don't think that the format for character selection is really a limiting factor in this case.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
A lot of the characters that we're requesting; I remember staunchly supporting Ridley, Mach Rider, and Paper Mario, and I thought Geno and Skull Kid would be really cool but moderately unlikely.

Fully possible they'll change from a giant screen with all the characters to a list that you need to iterate through, somewhat like anime fighting games that have FAR too many characters for one screen. I don't think that the format for character selection is really a limiting factor in this case.
Possibly, but I'd rather have a selection screen for aesthetic reasons.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
For god knows why, I have decided to make a new roster.

Yes, I'm taking my chances with the Gematsu leaks.

My problem with there being less than 50 or so characters is that, considering transformations more than certainly now count as their own characters, we'd go from 39 characters, to like, 45.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I am not sure there are much 'evidence' for King K. Rool, not counting the Kremlings. Palutena is a given by now.

The others, well, have you followed the Rumors and such? Most/all those I mentiones are VERY likely to be in by now. ^^
I don't hold much stock in rumors and leaks, solid reasoning and some evidence are what I need before I can truly consider a character to be plausible, and even then I'm never prepared to say that somebody must be a shoe-in.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't hold much stock in rumors and leaks, solid reasoning and some evidence are what I need before I can truly consider a character to be plausible, and even then I'm never prepared to say that somebody must be a shoe-in.
Only Palutena has great evidence as to why she's practically confirmed.

I doubt the leak is real.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why is everyone putting Marshall on their rosters? Who even is that?
And is it because of leaks?
A Rhythm Heaven character, I believe.

And yes, because of leaks. Apparently they came from the same person who gave the E3 leak.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Leaving behind all arguments of "I would have wanted X character in that spot instead!", how happy would you be if marshall was added to the roster? Do you believe he would make a good character?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'll be honest: I'm willing to make a bet with you all that all of those characters from the Gematsu leaks are indeed in the game.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Leaving behind all arguments of "I would have wanted X character in that spot instead!", how happy would you be if marshall was added to the roster? Do you believe he would make a good character?
I... honestly don't really know what Rhythm Heaven is, exactly. Probably poor research on my part. Marshall seems cute though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
A Rhythm Heaven character, I believe.

And yes, because of leaks. Apparently they came from the same person who gave the E3 leak.
Ugh, every time I hear "leak" when someone is justifying a character.
Do I have to list all the historical examples of people predicting something that happened a year later and then were treated as prophets?
So silly...

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ugh, every time I hear "leak" when someone is justifying a character.
Do I have to list all the historical examples of people predicting something that happened a year later and then were treated as prophets?
So silly...
Yeah, I don't really believe the leak myself. It has a couple of very likely characters, like Palutena and Chrom, a vague "XY Pokemon" which could refer to Mewtwo or anything else from that game, and then a really random thing that's so weird it "has to be real." I just don't find it that believable. On top of that, the leak apparently comes from the E3 leaker, which also leaked Miis. Now that there is evidence from the Direct to doubt their inclusion, it throws the whole leak into question.

Staarih

Smash Master
Does anyone know what the percentage is based on?

A lot of these characters changes seem to be pretty negative.
Could it be how likely the characters are thought of getting in the game? Seeing as Mario and company have 100% and have always been in the games (and are now). Or something like that. Not much faith in many of the characters (Chrom and Lucina have pretty high bars though).

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, I don't really believe the leak myself. It has a couple of very likely characters, like Palutena and Chrom, a vague "XY Pokemon" which could refer to Mewtwo or anything else from that game, and then a really random thing that's so weird it "has to be real." I just don't find it that believable. On top of that, the leak apparently comes from the E3 leaker, which also leaked Miis. Now that there is evidence from the Direct to doubt their inclusion, it throws the whole leak into question.
So weird it has to be real? Ugh...I would go on a rant comparing prophets to believing leaks, but it's an overreaction.
You just can't convince some people.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So weird it has to be real? Ugh...I would go on a rant comparing prophets to believing leaks, but it's an overreaction.
You just can't convince some people.
Yeah, I think that's a real thing. Most people realize that we can't get the roster exactly right, so when they see a leak that has a good number of expected characters, and then something completely unexpected, people will think it's so strange that it has to have come from the twisted mind of Sakurai.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There are obvious fake leaks, and there are certain leaks whom have lots of credibility, one such is Salromano.
You can't completely fade away from believing leaks, there will be ones that are real.
They are the lottery of Smash speculation.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, I think that's a real thing. Most people realize that we can't get the roster exactly right, so when they see a leak that has a good number of expected characters, and then something completely unexpected, people will think it's so strange that it has to have come from the twisted mind of Sakurai.
Because that would imply Sakurai has a pattern of revealing unexpected characters? I agree.
But if we're including someone I didn't even know, after being here for five months, there's a problem.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder how much complaints there would have been in an alternate scenario where the Brawl+ Mewtwo predictions were correct and those were the only Pokemon characters we would have gotten in said scenario.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I wonder how much complaints there would have been in an alternate scenario where the Brawl+ Mewtwo predictions were correct and those were the only Pokemon characters we would have gotten in said scenario.
There probably would be some from those who wanted a brand new Pokemon character, but I don't think it would have been overwhelming. Mewtwo is still the most popular choice for a Pokemon character, and in Brawl we had a similar situation where the Mario series didn't get any new characters, so I think the complaints wouldn't have been huge in number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom