• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I just to had an interesting thought. How much different would Mr Game And Watch be in HD?
It will be the highest quality black texture money can buy.
As black and breathtaking as the abyss of space. Such hypothetical beauty. It will truly be a sight to behold.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, with all this talk of roster sizes as of late, how big do we actually think the final roster will be? The Direct kind of shook things up a bit in that regard, didn't it? So, what could be considered a reasonable and likely roster size at this point in time?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
You know, with all this talk of roster sizes as of late, how big do we actually think the final roster will be? The Direct kind of shook things up a bit in that regard, didn't it? So, what could be considered a reasonable and likely roster size at this point in time?
I'd say 45 is the most minimal size of slots.
We're at least getting a 10 slot increase at this point from what I can see.
As for a max, I'd say 52 or something.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, with Veterans that are pretty much guaranteed to return, we'd get a minimum of about 37, maximum of 41. Plus 6 newcomers if you believe the Salromano leak, and 6 newcomers seems unlikely as a total anyway. (Just the ones we already have I mean.)

Honestly 46-50 seems like an actually reasonable number. Especially considering the game doesn't get bogged down by an adventure mode, and hopefully customization can be used to its fullest, even with that number.

Last edited:

CalumG

Smash Lord
42 seems like a very conservative number. Too conservative, in my humble opinion.

Considering the separation of tag team characters like Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zero Suit Samus, not to mention the increased size of the development staff, I'd place the roster at something like 45-48 characters - not quite the 50 people are hoping for, but close enough. Smash isn't in the same position as other fighting games are; with every Smash Bros. game so far, Nintendo has poured an even bigger amount of money and assembled an even bigger development team to handle the game. This combined with the knowledge that characters sell the game (the developers know this - there's a reason Sakurai 'loses sleep' over the games roster, considering how crucial it is) puts the development staff in a tricky position, desiring both balance in the roster but also a substantial enough increase in characters.

I don't think we're getting 50, that's too high. But at the same time, 42 seems way too low. Somewhere inbetween sounds realistic to me.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
42 is definitely too low seeing that we're standing at 29 characters and several who are givens/near givens.

Would bet on at least 45 from what characters are more or less shoe ins based on the Direct (Falcon (Goroh)/Wario (Ashley/Waluigi)/Mother Series (items)/Ice Climbers (someone said IC enemies were in Smash Run)) and I doubt they'd cut 6 more additional characters (Falco/Wolf/Ike/ROB/G&W/Jigglypuff) to those who are most likely out (Snake/Squirtle/Ivysaur).

Potentially taking into account Sal's leak (especially Palutena/Pac-man), only 42 is just ridiculous.

EDIT: Forgot Meta Knight would be a cut as well.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
he is going to happen, he simply has to...
That clay model of classic Link is funny to me.

Just look at that face. It's like "duuuhhhhhh I'm bored."

And speaking of which, wouldn't Classic Link be a better name for LoZ and LoZ:AoL Link? I feel like Young Link is OoT Link, and nobody else.

I mean, Sakurai could've easily called Toon Link in Brawl "Young Link", like so many people did pre-Brawl release, but he didn't.

-----

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
If this '16 Newcomers' thing is true, then these are the Newcomers I want/expect.

Villager
MegaMan
Wii-Fit Trainers
Rosalina
Little Mac
Greninja

PacMan
Mii
Ridley
Palutena
Chrom
Shulk
Duck Hunt Dog
Takamaru
King K. Rool
Ganon

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
42 ;)

42 characters would be 3 more than in Brawl. Melee had 14 more than 64 and Brawl had 13 more than Melee.

So yeah, that would be quite a drop.
Yeah but if they have started to reach the limit of feasible characters, they have to start slowing down at some point, a roster of 42 with 6 cuts ( melee saw 5) would be 9 new comers, and I said before I could entertain the possibility of 44 with 11 new comers, but that's as high as I will go.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Yeah but if they have started to reach the limit of feasible characters, they have to start slowing down at some point, a roster of 42 with 6 cuts ( melee saw 5) would be 9 new comers, and I said before I could entertain the possibility of 44 with 11 new comers, but that's as high as I will go.
I asure you, it will be higher than 42. 3 more than Brawl, yeah, no, it will be more than that. :/
Even with Squirtle and Ivysaur, and maybe Snake and Ike cut, we already have more than that.

I expect a 49-50 character roster. And I asure you, there are still plenty of Allstars to choose from. :p

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
42 is definitely too low seeing that we're standing at 29 characters and several who are givens/near givens.

Would bet on at least 45 from what characters are more or less shoe ins based on the Direct (Falcon (Goroh)/Wario (Ashley/Waluigi)/Mother Series (items)/Ice Climbers (someone said IC enemies were in Smash Run)) and I doubt they'd cut 6 more additional characters (Falco/Wolf/Ike/ROB/G&W/Jigglypuff) to those who are most likely out (Snake/Squirtle/Ivysaur).

Potentially taking into account Sal's leak (especially Palutena/Pac-man), only 42 is just ridiculous.

EDIT: Forgot Meta Knight would be a cut as well.
I respectfully disagree, 42 is not ridiculous. I think people are putting too much stock in their so called "shoe-in" characters, the only new comer I would even put close to that category is king k rool, because of the kremlings sighting of course. But even then I say there is no guarantee.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
we already have more than that.
I count only 29 confirmations thus far, I think you are assuming to much about who is going to be in the game.
Like I said, I will entertain the possibility of 44, but if what sakurai said still holds true, I say there is no way we are getting more than that.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
To be completely honest, 42 is a ridiculous number. The characters are what make or break this game, and adding only a few to the last roster is a bad move on Sakurai's part. I say the minimum roster size we'll get is 45.

While only having a small number is plausible, Sakurai must know that will be poorly-received.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I think we should start a poll on character estimates, 44 or less, 45-49, and 50 or more, what does everyone think? My vote is 44 or less, and I know I'm probably in the minority with that. I'm betting most people will vote 45-49.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm guessing a solid 50. That's an additional 11 slots from the last iteration. The least it's ever been, but still decent amount of new spaces.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
To be completely honest, 42 is a ridiculous number. The characters are what make or break this game, and adding only a few to the last roster is a bad move on Sakurai's part. I say the minimum roster size we'll get is 45.

While only having a small number is plausible, Sakurai must know that will be poorly-received.
Poor reception because of that is possible, but Sakurai talked about new direction. I think part of that new direction could be redoing and updating old characters and their move sets, to help keep things fresh, I mean look at some of the major changes to characters that we already know about.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I respectfully disagree, 42 is not ridiculous. I think people are putting too much stock in their so called "shoe-in" characters, the only new comer I would even put close to that category is king k rool, because of the kremlings sighting of course. But even then I say there is no guarantee.
I think Palutena is the biggest shoe-in in terms of newcomers considering the supposed leaked screens and the direct.

42 is a bit defeatist in my opinion. We've got 29 at the moment with probably 3-4 months until the 3DS launch with an E3 and potential more directs between now and then. Even if they announce the full roster between now and then I'd be surprised if the roster is not at least 46 strong.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Poor reception because of that is possible, but Sakurai talked about new direction. I think part of that new direction could be redoing and updating old characters and their move sets, to help keep things fresh, I mean look at some of the major changes to characters that we already know about.
That won't mean we're gonna cut 5-7 characters and only add a small handful.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I think Palutena is the biggest shoe-in in terms of newcomers considering the supposed leaked screens and the direct.

42 is a bit defeatist in my opinion. We've got 29 at the moment with probably 3-4 months until the 3DS launch with an E3 and potential more directs between now and then. Even if they announce the full roster between now and then I'd be surprised if the roster is not at least 46 strong.
I do have a question what was it about the direct that makes people think she is in? Just that thing he did with the fake Palutena?

But, "supposed leaked screens" that does not really quantify as reliable evidence IMO.

D

Deleted member

Alright guys, let's debate again play a game :

Since Direct's broadcasting, I as trying to remake my fan-roster, but I block on some choices that are represented with logos of series like DK, FIre Emblem and Pokémon.

For the DK slot, I hesitate between K. Rool and Dixie.
For the first FE slot, I hesitate between Ike and Chrom.
For the second FE slot, I hesitate between Chrom and Robin.
And for the Pokémon slot, I hesitate between Jigglypuff and Mewtwo.

What would be your choices for each of those slots ?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Again, think of the reception. Despite Sakurai going a different direction, people won't like a good amount of cuts and only a few newcomers.
Well that is what scares me, I hope the game is well received regardless of roster. Because if they have reached the limits of what is feasible, then not much can be done with adding new characters to keep people interested. I really want this series to continue on, so if the roster is not as large as people hoped I do hope they can get over it and still love the game for what it is.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I do have a question what was it about the direct that makes people think she is in? Just that thing he did with the fake Palutena?

But, "supposed leaked screens" that does not really quantify as reliable evidence IMO.
That's part of it, yes. The fake out made it obvious that Sakurai is aware of Palutena's popularity as a character choice, and I think a fake out like that does imply that she's in the game. But on top of that, there's also a huge amount of Kid Icarus content in this game, including tons of items, a gigantic stage in the Wii U version, and multiple enemies in Smash Run. There's also the fact that Pit's Final Smash has been changed; it no longer incorporates Palutena. In other words, the big obstacle for her being playable has been officially removed.

Honestly, I think Palutena is the closest thing we have to a shoo-in at this point. More so than K. Rool or Mewtwo, I think. Every bit of evidence we've seen in the game seems to point to her inclusion. And all that isn't even counting the leak, which has yet to be proven fake after several months. So, yeah, Palutena's pretty likely. I think it would be hard to find anyone more likely than her at this point.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Since Direct's broadcasting, I as trying to remake my fan-roster, but I block on some choices that are represented with logos of series like DK, FIre Emblem and Pokémon.

Dixie
Chrom because of Salromano leak
Mewtwo

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

First of all, being one of the most likely outside of the leak and direct.

Hinted at numerous times in the Direct. Pit's Final Smash has changed. The Pseudo-Scare was an obvious troll by Sakurai: "hey, Palutena's one of the most wanted newcomers? Let me scare you for a second with this trophy." And the way he revealed that trophy, it's obvious he's hinting at her reveal.

Not to mention the gargantuan amount of KI stuff in this game. Her reveal is more obvious than any newcomer we want.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
That's part of it, yes. The fake out made it obvious that Sakurai is aware of Palutena's popularity as a character choice, and I think a fake out like that does imply that she's in the game. But on top of that, there's also a huge amount of Kid Icarus content in this game, including tons of items, a gigantic stage in the Wii U version, and multiple enemies in Smash Run. There's also the fact that Pit's Final Smash has been changed; it no longer incorporates Palutena. In other words, the big obstacle for her being playable has been officially removed.

Honestly, I think Palutena is the closest thing we have to a shoo-in at this point. More so than K. Rool or Mewtwo, I think. Every bit of evidence we've seen in the game seems to point to her inclusion. And all that isn't even counting the leak, which has yet to be proven fake after several months. So, yeah, Palutena's pretty likely. I think it would be hard to find anyone more likely than her at this point.
That sounds plausible, so yeah she probably is in.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I think we should start a poll on character estimates, 44 or less, 45-49, and 50 or more, what does everyone think? My vote is 44 or less, and I know I'm probably in the minority with that. I'm betting most people will vote 45-49.
45-49.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

For DK, I'd go with K. Rool. Not only is he more popular, but with the presence of Kremlings in this game, he seems all the more likely now.
For Fire Emblem, if you're going to have three character slots regardless, I'd definitely keep Ike. I don't really think two brand new characters from Awakening are that likely, especially when Ike is still fine as a character choice. As for the third slot, Chrom is the more likely, but I'd go with Robin, personally. I think he has more to offer as a character to the roster and Sakurai seems to like the less obvious choices.
For Pokemon... I guess Jigglypuff is more likely. I really want to say put Mewtwo on there, but I don't know if that's entirely likely. But you'll probably get a couple of people saying that you should have both on there. That could work, though you'd have to cut someone else...

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649

K. Rool
Ike
Chrom
Jigglypuff

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well that is what scares me, I hope the game is well received regardless of roster. Because if they have reached the limits of what is feasible, then not much can be done with adding new characters to keep people interested. I really want this series to continue on, so if the roster is not as large as people hoped I do hope they can get over it and still love the game for what it is.
I do agree, but I really do think that you're reading too much into it.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman

It's more that she's no longer present during Pit's final smash that's convinced me rather than the trophy. Still, I think Sakurai is aware she's expected and putting that trophy in was an act of trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom