• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
So... who's Final Smash do you guys think has changed?

I'm totally not trying to get away from the Ridley discussion... but can't we just wait and see what happens?
Well let's see...we already have new Final Smashes for Luigi and Kirby, which is surprising for Kirby as Sakurai doesn't like to stray away from design ideas that aren't from actual Kirby games he's designed, but to be honest, the Hocotate Bomb gives me the notion that Olimar will have a new final smash, Zero Suit Samus will obviously have a new final smash, I don't know what could be given to Sheik, hopefully ROB gets a new final smash, Pit's got a new final smash that possibly eludes to playable Palutena, maybe Toon Link will have a new final smash, and I'm just waiting to see HD Giga Bowser at this point, although I think it'd contrast with how much more Mario-like they've made Bowser this time around.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That's my experience. Maybe it's just the fighting games I've played? Or am I wrong about Soul Calibur? Cause I have it. And play it quite a bit.
Most fighting games allow to play as the same character, normally forcing you to have an alternate costume or differing contrast in order to prevent confusion.

?????????????

Smash Master
Most fighting games allow to play as the same character, normally forcing you to have an alternate costume or differing contrast in order to prevent confusion.
I guess I've been playing different fighting games then. Can you give me examples of which ones do? I know Soul Calibur and Street Fighter don't.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Do you think there will be more character unveilments this month or will they save it for E3 2014 (if the game will be there that is.)
The game will defiantly be at E3 it will probably be Nintendo biggest release from E3 onward i belive we may get some veterans maybe like ice climbers for nes remix 2,.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Do you think there will be more character unveilments this month or will they save it for E3 2014 (if the game will be there that is.)
Laugh if you will, but I think we'll be seeing one more character this month, two next month, and the rest of the entire unconfirmed roster at E3.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
We could see the Ice Climbers for the NES Remix 2 release, but other then that, I see one more veteran and then E3 hits.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think we'll see Ice Climbers this month for NES Remix 2, maaaybe Wario in May for Mario Kart 8, and then E3.

It's certainly possible we see another character in May. Personally, I want me some Earthbound kids. Where's Ness, where's Lucas? I'm waiting patiently.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I guess I've been playing different fighting games then. Can you give me examples of which ones do? I know Soul Calibur and Street Fighter don't.
Actually, Street Fighter games do have the ability to have mirror matches starting with Street Fighter II: Championship Edition, with the exception of the SNES version of the first iteration of Street Fighter II having a cheat code allowing it.

Not sure about Soul Calibur, however I do know most fighting games gives you the option to have a mirror match.

Last edited:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
I think we'll see Ice Climbers this month for NES Remix 2, maaaybe Wario in May for Mario Kart 8, and then E3.

It's certainly possible we see another character in May. Personally, I want me some Earthbound kids. Where's Ness, where's Lucas? I'm waiting patiently.
I can see ness being unlockable again but i guess it depends if sakurai wants to reveal all the fighters.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
So... who's Final Smash do you guys think has changed?

I'm totally not trying to get away from the Ridley discussion... but can't we just wait and see what happens?
Zero Suit Samus, would be cool if she called huge baby metroid.

I want a new final smash for DK too!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Laugh if you will, but I think we'll be seeing one more character this month, two next month, and the rest of the entire unconfirmed roster at E3.
You think the entire unconfirmed roster? I don't think so. At E3, I predict 4-8 characters (a mix of newcomers and veterans), and then the rest will remain hidden, and revealed on the website upon 3DS release.

The characters I think will stay hidden until release will be:
  • Ganondorf
  • Captain Falcon
  • Ness or Lucas
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • R.O.B.
  • Falco
  • Wolf
  • Jigglypuff
The characters left after that are Wario, Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, one of Ness or Lucas, Ike, and Snake. I say Ice Climbers, Wario, and an Earthbound kid we'll get before E3, then we're down to 3: Meta Knight, Ike, and Snake. That's 3 veterans that can be shown at E3. 3 Veterans, and then 3 newcomers will be a great E3.

Not to mention that Snake, Ike, and Meta Knight are the perfect veterans to be shown off at E3.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I think the new DK final smash is MORE than self explanatory at this point:
There is a realm of possibilities: Rambi, Dk Family, instrument from DK Tropical Freeze, Canon Barrels, DK Pow ( power from TF), Rocket Barrel, Cart and etc.

A lot of ideias that are better tham DK Bongos.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Or he could punch the moon down at the opponents.

Perhaps DK would've made a better hero for Majora's Mask.
So basically Makoto Nanaya's Astral Finish in reverse? I guess that could work. :p

Though punching the opponent clean through the moon like Planet Crusher is also definitely befitting of Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
When it comes to final smashes, I sincerely think we should start looking to the designs of other fighting games for ideas, because basically alot of the new final smashes we have this time around can indeed be quite identical to other hyper attacks in other fighting games:

Greninja: Valkenhayn's Blut Vollmond
Kirby: Dante's Devil May Die from MVC3
Villager: Felicia's Please Help Me!
Pit: Zero's Sougenmu from MVC3
Rosalina: Strider Hiryu's Ouroboros & Almost every Dark Force in Darkstalkers 3
Wii Fit Trainer: Shuma-Gorath's Hyper Mystic Smash
MegaMan: B.B. Hood's Cool Hunting and Parasoul's Inferno Brigade
Little Mac: Many characters have attacks that change forms and buff attack power

With Namco-Bandai involved, I'm not surprised alot of these new final smashes are taking inspiration from other fighting games

Last edited:

Gune

Smash Lord
When it comes to final smashes, I sincerely think we should start looking to the designs of other fighting games for ideas, because basically alot of the new final smashes we have this time around can indeed be quite identical to other hyper attacks in other fighting games:

Greninja: Valkenhayn's Blut Vollmond
Kirby: Dante's Devil May Die from MVC3
Villager: Felicia's Please Help Me!
Pit: Zero's Sougenmu from MVC3

With Namco-Bandai involved, I'm not surprised alot of these new final smashes are taking inspiration from other fighting games
Devil may die is kind of a stretch though, there is a lot more stabbing in DMD than kirbys FS which is purely slashing, but I guess the rest of them make sense.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Devil may die is kind of a stretch though, there is a lot more stabbing in DMD than kirbys FS which is purely slashing, but I guess the rest of them make sense.
Both feature the same dash from side to side attacking and a final powerful hit to end the attack, both of which knock the opponent away to the other side of the screen.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Made this today. This is my current roster under the assumption that Ridley's, in fact, not in. Hopefully I'm wrong on that. :p

Squirtle and Ivysaur are the only cuts on this roster. Mewtwo returns.

Unconfirmed Newcomers include:

King K. Rool
Palutena
Chrom
Pac-Man

10 Newcomers. 38 Veterans.

Disclaimer: If Snake and Pac-Man are not shown at E3, they will be removed from this roster.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
You know, I really don't see why people think Jigglypuff has a good chance of being cut. I mean, when they bring up the argument that she was a joke character, they often mention the she had little priority, and was almost cut. However, Sakurai decided to keep her, and I believe he'll do the same this time around.

Just because a character was almost cut in a previous game, does not mean that they will be cut this time.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I don't think it's so much an issue of limitations. That old quote of Sakurai's suggested that a smaller roster would be easier to balance, and perhaps that would be the direction the game should be focused in. Keep in mind that previously, Sakurai did most of the character balancing himself and look how that turned out. If Sakurai wanted to focus on achieving game balance over adding new characters, then a small roster would only be the result of limitations Sakurai placed on himself. Now, Sakurai's not working alone. He now has other professionals there to help contribute to the game balance, as well as develop the game in other key areas. As such, it seems reasonable to assume that achieving balance within the game would not be as difficult as before due to the much larger team, which in turn would allow the roster to expand beyond the previous limits.

So yeah, I don't see how the support of an experienced group of people would make little to no impact.
Having the right team, and right budget may impact balancing issues somewhat, but they can't keep adding 15 new characters with every installment, balancing issues seem like a problem that amplifies exponentially with each new character being added affecting every other character, and there has to be a realistic limit at some point.

That is why I think we are starting to see big changes to older characters, part of what sakurai said about turning the game in a new direction, could be referring to revamping and updating old characters with each new installment.

Eventually if the fans prove to be this thirsty for new characters, they would probably have to split the game into two series. Say this game does get 50 characters, which I'm sure it won't, are we honestly going to be expecting 65 in the next installment?

I will conced that 42 seems low, but I think it is a reasonable guess, and I'd even be willing to raise my guess up to 43-44 based on some decent speculation about mewtwo and chrom, but I'm not holding my breath. We are going see at least 5-6 cuts and I think there is just no fricking way we are getting 50 characters or more.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Having the right team, and right budget may impact balancing issues somewhat, but they can't keep adding 15 new characters with every installment, balancing issues seem like a problem that amplifies exponentially with each new character being added affecting every other character, and there has to be a realistic limit at some point.

That is why I think we are starting to see big changes to older characters, part of what sakurai said about turning the game in a new direction, could be referring to revamping and updating old characters with each new installment.

Eventually if the fans prove to be this thirsty for new characters, they would probably have to split the game into two series. Say this game does get 50 characters, which I'm sure it won't, are we honestly going to be expecting 65 in the next installment?

I will conced that 42 seems low, but I think it is a reasonable guess, and I'd even be willing to raise my guess up to 43-44 based on some decent speculation about mewtwo and chrom, but I'm not holding my breath. We are going see at least 5-6 cuts and I think there is just no fricking way we are getting 50 characters or more.
Think about this though. WHY should people be okay after losing 5-6 veterans, and only getting 8 newcomers? Characters are the biggest part of this game, and have the largest impact on sales (most likely). Adding only 8 characters (not to mention after cutting as many as you're saying) would be simply put, terrible.

Take a look at who, at this point, is practically guaranteed based on what we know.

Palutena has been hinted at a crap ton. She's essentially a given.
Pac-Man is the only third party with a good chance, and based on the Namco items shown, it's probable that they also have a character in the game. Pac-Man fits the bill.
Mii's are a likely addition to the game based on what we've seen...etc..

Sakurai has said to not expect as many newcomers as past games, but in a different article, he also said that he isn't going to let limitations stop him from adding a good amount of characters.

Being "thirsty" for more than 8 characters is absolutely not a bad thing. Anything less than 10 would likely cause an awful lot of backlash.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, that came a little late.

But I think you're kind of missing the point I was trying to make. Sakurai said previously that he wanted to focus on game balance and that trying to work with a larger cast of characters would make that difficult. This is what you're basing your roster size on.

However, the situation has changed since then. Sakurai has more help now. They're able to do more with the game than was previously possible. I wouldn't underestimate the influence Namco will have on this game; their assistance will likely allow the game to thrive beyond old expectations.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
They'll probably save it for E3.

Not to mention that Snake, Ike, and Meta Knight are the perfect veterans to be shown off at E3.
Why Meta Knight and Ike? I can understand Snake, due to his status as a third-party character, but otherwise I would expect only newcomers at this year's E3.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Why Meta Knight and Ike? I can understand Snake, due to his status as a third-party character, but otherwise I would expect only newcomers at this year's E3.
I don't know. That was bias there, but I feel like they have the right fit as veterans to be seen at E3, just my own opinion. I do think we'll see veterans at E3, but I know the heavy focus will be on newcomers.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I've just read an interesting story on the internet, when Sakurai was trying to get the permission from Capcom to use the other four "MegaMen" in MegaMan's Final Smash, Capcom didn't know what characters Sakurai was talking about! Wild, isn't it?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
People have been speculating that those four trophies quizzes may possibly hint to newcomers, and that's possible, but if anything...I think they'll most likely be our four hidden newcomers, characters we won't know about until the game's release. For example, I think we may possibly see the likes of K.Rool, Shulk and Pac-Man at E3, probably a few other veterans as well that're well known and liked (I'm looking at you Mewtwo) but we'll indeed have our four hidden newcomers, like Lucario, Toon Link, ROB and Wolf in Brawl. And if we can really assume these trophies mean anything...then our newcomers hidden away will be Palutena, Ridley, Chrom and possibly either Ghirahim or Tingle.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I've just read an interesting story on the internet, when Sakurai was trying to get the permission from Capcom to use the other four "MegaMen" in MegaMan's Final Smash, Capcom didn't know what characters Sakurai was talking about! Wild, isn't it?
That story was a joke. That website is like the "Onion" of video game stories.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Wouldn't having a gauge like Little Mac take away a key component of what makes Little Mac a unique character?
If it serves a different purpose than a 1 hit kill, it wouldn't take anything away from Mac imo

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
@ Hotfeet444 Hotfeet444

Good morning/afternoon/whatever. I see you are finally here.

However, there is a little bit of unfinished business though if you don't mind coming back to it.
http://smashboards.com/threads/official-character-discussion-thread.347464/page-468#post-16606272

On the current topic, I think they would show veterans at E3.

Especially if the veteran has something to do with newcomer, (as we saw with charizard).

We could also see a veteran if Snake is returning. That would be a good, (and possibly only time), to reveal Snake.

I don't expect too many character reveals at E3 though. :/

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
People have been speculating that those four trophies quizzes may possibly hint to newcomers, and that's possible, but if anything...I think they'll most likely be our four hidden newcomers, characters we won't know about until the game's release. For example, I think we may possibly see the likes of K.Rool, Shulk and Pac-Man at E3, probably a few other veterans as well that're well known and liked (I'm looking at you Mewtwo) but we'll indeed have our four hidden newcomers, like Lucario, Toon Link, ROB and Wolf in Brawl. And if we can really assume these trophies mean anything...then our newcomers hidden away will be Palutena, Ridley, Chrom and possibly either Ghirahim or Tingle.
Eh, I think people may be overspeculating with the trophies. The only one that seems to have meant something is the Psuedo-Palutena, which was an obvious troll move on Sakurai's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom