• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm was only assuming, but I heard Sony was on an exclusive deal with bringing the MGS only on the PS4. That left some concern to me.
Not true, metal gear is on many platforms. The only one that has any legal ties to sony is the original ps1 version (possibly MGS4 too, only a guess though), but twin snakes is the same for nintendo.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maybe we already passed this topic,I don't care,but If that's the custom stages returning,I'm glad.
but what scares me is my poll if it will returns ends today. I feel psychic.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Maybe we already passed this topic,I don't care,but If that's the custom stages returning,I'm glad.
but what scares me is my poll if it will returns ends today. I feel psychic.
I thought it was pretty obvious that it was part of the Kid Icarus Wii U stage. The only other thing I see it relating to is Pandora's Tower, and we wouldn't even get a glimpse of anything from that game without anything from Xenoblade first.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Why would they make a custom stage SO SIMILAR to Palutena's Temple when we already have Palutena's Temple as a stage? That doesn't make logical sense.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why would they make a custom stage SO SIMILAR to Palutena's Temple when we already have Palutena's Temple as a stage? That doesn't make logical sense.
Well, one thing to consider is that Sakurai directed all of said games, and not only do the motifs resemble ones from Stage Builder pieces in Brawl, but it also resembles Palutena's stage, leading me to believe that it is just a generic, but visually appealing temple motif they used.

edit: Though I would like to point out this is not character discussion.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
While I highly doubt this is a Stage Builder stage with a Kid Icarus theme, having items and backdrops themed after different franchises could possibly happen. It would be a nice touch. It could feature famous places from different franchises that didn't get a stage.

Super Mario Bros: Princess Peach's Castle and/or possibly something from Super Mario Galaxy
Donkey Kong: Jungle Hijinx, designed after the tiki-themed jungle of Donkey Kong Country Returns
The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Field, most likely styled after a cross between the version used in the Sonic Lost World DLC and Twilight Princess
Metroid: Any classic location from Planet Zebes or locations from the Metroid Prime series

And so on and so forth.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Even if the Spring isn't an item, it's not the first time it's been used in a regular stage as DK's Rumble Falls back in Brawl had it. So it could just be the same thing here where it's the only asset used from the Stage Builder template.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
While I highly doubt this is a Stage Builder stage with a Kid Icarus theme, having items and backdrops themed after different franchises could possibly happen. It would be a nice touch. It could feature famous places from different franchises that didn't get a stage.

Super Mario Bros: Princess Peach's Castle and/or possibly something from Super Mario Galaxy
Donkey Kong: Jungle Hijinx, designed after the tiki-themed jungle of Donkey Kong Country Returns
The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Field, most likely styled after a cross between the version used in the Sonic Lost World DLC and Twilight Princess
Metroid: Any classic location from Planet Zebes or locations from the Metroid Prime series

And so on and so forth.
I think this would be a fantastic idea, because it would offer stages in the iconic, yet generic locales from each series without wasting an entire new stage on them (for the second, third or fourth time in some cases).

Also, some of the characters we're supposed to be discussing in this thread *cough* could use them as secondary home stages.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In a perfect world, I'd imagine every character getting their own personal stage. It would at least give us the excuse to get Bowser's Castle.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Chrom was fake, but at least the guy was kind enough to provide me with a nice image to use for my roster. :troll:

Now I just need a better Lip and Shulk, for the most part.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A samurai whom can shoot fireballs, hide in an invisible cloak, and throw ninja stars. From a Japan only game called Nazo no Muramase Jo (for the NES) which was sold in April 14, 1986.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
This is out of sheer honesty and confusion, and I know people are gonna make fun of me for this, but who the heck is Takamaru?
Takamaru is the protagonist of Mysterious Murasame Castle, a game that came out for the NES/Famicom in 1986. He's a samurai from Edo-period Japan, using his katana, shurikens, and spells to make his way through the game.

He's considered to be the most probable Retro pick for Smash 4 (much as Pit was the Retro pick for Brawl). Murasame is to the original Legend of Zelda as Kid Icarus is to the original Metroid. As a result, Takamaru is often designated as one of the Famicom Four, alongside Link, Samus, and Pit (especially since all of their original games came out in 1986).

If you're interested in learning more, visit the Takamaru Support Thread. Suffice it to say that he has a very strong case for the probability of his inclusion in Smash 4. :)

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
This is out of sheer honesty and confusion, and I know people are gonna make fun of me for this, but who the heck is Takamaru?
that figures.

OH SORRY I WAS THINKING TO MYSELF!

ever played nintendo land? I guess you haven't. his franchise is in that game.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Takamaru is from the Japanese-only game Nazo no Murasame Jō, released in the 80s on the Computer Disk system. Since then, he has made appearances in Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, and Nintendo Land. He's a popular choice for a retro.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Takamaru is the protagonist of Mysterious Murasame Castle, a game that came out for the NES/Famicom in 1986. He's a samurai from Edo-period Japan, using his katana, shurikens, and spells to make his way through the game.

He's considered to be the most probable Retro pick for Smash 4 (much as Pit was the Retro pick for Brawl). Murasame is to the original Legend of Zelda as Kid Icarus is to the original Metroid. As a result, Takamaru is often designated as one of the Famicom Four, alongside Link, Samus, and Pit.

If you're interested in learning more, visit the Takamaru Support Thread. Suffice it to say that he has a very strong case for the probability of his inclusion in Smash 4. :)
I wouldn't say very strong, but the hints and minigames he has something going for him.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I wouldn't say very strong, but the hints and minigames he has something going for him.
Well, he probably has more going for him than any other retro pick. The fact that Nintendo still references him now in their games (getting a mini game in Nintendo Land is apparently considered a fairly big deal), along with the fact that he could certainly bring something unique and interesting to Smash, makes him a prime candidate for a retro character.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
What other Retro candidates could rival or surpass Takamaru in terms of probability and/or viability? I imagine that you would propose Prince Sable as one, as he would constitute a Handheld Retro (with whatever Pros he has in his favour). Anyone else?

In either case, it remains that Takamaru is a strong Console Retro, at the very least; and regardless of his probability, his inclusion would be most appropriate, if only to complete the Famicom Four. :shades:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mach Rider would be amazing. Transforming motorcycle armor should be the redesign.

* I also believe Sakurai really adores the character.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Takamaru is from the Japanese-only game Nazo no Murasame Jō, released in the 80s on the Computer Disk system. Since then, he has made appearances in Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, and Nintendo Land. He's a popular choice for a retro.
I think I may have played his game at Nintendo Land once, was it the one with the Ninja Stars?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
In terms of handheld retro, Sable would be competing against Muddy, as that is his only competition.

Well, he probably has more going for him than any other retro pick. The fact that Nintendo still references him now in their games (getting a mini game in Nintendo Land is apparently considered a fairly big deal), along with the fact that he could certainly bring something unique and interesting to Smash, makes him a prime candidate for a retro character.
I agree, it's a new style of cultural fighting we haven't seen.

Now if only we had a fencing type of character join the fray.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I think I may have played his game at Nintendo Land once, was it the one with the Ninja Stars?
That's correct. The shuriken minigame in Nintendoland is attributed to Takamaru/Murasame. The fact that Nintendo has given that rather obscure series some spotlight alongside its more major franchises in Nintendoland is fairly significant, and may bode positively for Takamaru's inclusion in Smash 4 (though then again, it could just as easily not).

Don't support Takamaru for some made up retro criteria.
Support him instead because he's a badass samurai. :smirk:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Takamaru has a little more going for him compared to other potential Retro Reps and he has a lot of supporters. I'd personally rather see a different Retro Rep but I've never even played his game. The most I've seen of Takamaru was in Nintendo Land. Wasn't he only in Japanese exclusive games? I'm not too big on playable characters that are regional exclusive but that's not to say others are. Anyway, if they decide to put him in, please base him off this appearance:
I don't like his Samurai Warriors 3 appearance.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Don't support Takamaru for some made up retro criteria.
Well, if I recall, didn't Sakurai mention that he wanted to add a character to the roster that he could revive like he did with Pit and Kid Icarus?

Oh, and out of curiosity, was anyone here responsible for that obvious April Fools Goku thread that was created today?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'll just quote what I said about Takamaru in his thread:

What's interesting to consider about retro characters is that they don't just seem to be arbitrarily added for the sake of having retro characters. In a way, each of them basically represent a piece of old Nintendo hardware.

Obviously, Mr. Game & Watch represents the Game & Watch, Nintendo's first fooray into handhelds. As we all know, the ICs got into Melee because Sakurai wanted to include a character that would represent the NES, or Famicom if you will, console. They were on a list alongside other various one-off NES characters, and Sakurai felt they were the best option. Nintendo's home console business had its roots in the one-off, arcade styled games of the NES such as Ice Climber, so it makes sense why they were added. I see them as representing the NES as a whole, not just Ice Climber. That's my problem with including other NES only characters like Mach Rider and Balloon Fighter, because their inclusion would ultimately make the ICs seem less important.

Now, at first glance, R.O.B and Pit seem like characters that were added to represent the NES console as well, but I don't see it that way. R.O.B., for example, mostly represents the peripheral that ended up saving the video game industry in America, rather than one-off NES games like ICs. As for Pit, something interesting to consider is that Kid Icarus wasn't actually released for the NES when it first came out in Japan (Only America and Europe got it in that format). Rather, KI was exclusive to the Famicom Disk System, the disk-based peripheral that was the birth place for some of Nintendo's key franchises (Metroid, Legend of Zelda). Argurably, Pit represents (or represented) that more than he does the NES/Famicom itself.

I believe that's where Takamaru comes in. Much like KI, Nazo no Murasame Jō wasn't released on the NES/Famicom, but for the Disk System. With Kid Icarus Uprising, Pit no longer really counts as a retro character, like Little Mac. So, Takamaru could easily come in and take his spot as the FDS representative.

Another interesting thing is that Takamaru is basically to Link as Pit was to Samus. I believe Nazo no Murasame Jō ran on the same engine as Legend of Zelda, like how Kid Icarus ran on the same engine as Metroid. It'd be interesting to see all four franchises reunited in Smash.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
FDS representative, I don't think would be a real good reason to add Takamaru. More like reviving back a franchise to reinvent it like with Kid Icarus, and maybe the T to L to P to S might have some benefit, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom