• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Most of the time, myself included, I desire Mewtwo's return far more than Roy's. When you consider that Mewtwo was the only truly unique character cut, he appears to be the biggest loss.

That's not to say Roy wouldn't have his fans. But I definitely don't think there would be as many people who would want him back if Mewtwo were in Brawl. Bandwagoners if you will.

Of course I'm probably wrong, but we'll never know.
I can see where you're going with this. Sort of the whole, "Hey if we're getting Mewtwo back, we may as well" sort of thing?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Most of the time, myself included, I desire Mewtwo's return far more than Roy's. When you consider that Mewtwo was the only truly unique character cut, he appears to be the biggest loss.

That's not to say Roy wouldn't have his fans. But I definitely don't think there would be as many people who would want him back if Mewtwo were in Brawl. Bandwagoners if you will.

Doesn't exactly explain why very few people care about Dr. Mario and Pichu though.

I would say no one but there are still fans out there.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Interesting theory. Can't say I've thought about it that way before. Though to be perfectly honest, I've never really understood why people want Roy back so much. I can certainly understand it for fans of his game, but outside of that... I mean, he was just a clone in Melee. Pretty much a red haired version of Marth with fire. Maybe there's something I'm missing here...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Doesn't exactly explain why very few people care about Dr. Mario and Pichu though.

I would say no one but there are still fans out there.
That's certainly a flaw in the idea.

I'm not trying to start a Roy war here, but after thinking about it, he's literally the Fire Emblem version of Dr.Mario. I didn't even think of that. He basically shares all attacks with the source material character, but only has aesthetic changes to make him stand out. Well, that and weight differences and the like.

Is that weird that I just realized that? It's almost as weird as me also figuring out just the other day that you can aim Bowser's fire in Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would argue that Roy has more contrast from Marth then Dr. Mario has with Mario.

Let's just say that with Roy you'll be damned to try any of Marth's strategies and advanced techniques with the different properties Roy has.

Try to preform a Ken Combo with Roy.

I dare you.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm not trying to start a Roy war here, but after thinking about it, he's literally the Fire Emblem version of Dr.Mario.
Well, Roy was also the only cut clone that wasn't a different version of an existing character. I think that people want Roy back because they are a fan of his game/character, rather than actually wanting to play as him again, since he's literally just an inferior Marth. I think people are eager to see him "Luigified", or balanced better, or whatever.

To those people I say, "Go play Project M", because they handled him better and respected Roy more than Sakurai ever will. Not to mention he's solid as hell to play as.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Well, Roy was also the only cut clone that wasn't a different version of an existing character. I think that people want Roy back because they are a fan of his game/character, rather than actually wanting to play as him again, since he's literally just an inferior Marth. I think people are eager to see him "Luigified", or balanced better, or whatever.

To those people I say, "Go play Project M", because they handled him better and respected Roy more than Sakurai ever will. Not to mention he's solid as hell to play as.
To add on to this, Roy was one of the first Fire Emblem characters in Smash, and for Westerners, one of the first Fire Emblem characters they experienced. Most Roy fans I've seen say that they liked playing as Roy better because of t3h ph1r3.

I generally played as him more often than Marth as well, but that was the same for all the clones. I usually played Pichu, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Falco, etc. more than the original counterparts.

Overall, I think it has something to do with "memories", "first experiences" or stuff related with the character itself rather than actual gameplay.

-----

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
For me Roy was a great lost, it was one of my three mains (Marth, Ice Climbers and Roy), after sometime with Brawl I did change and get new mains (Olimar, King Dedede and of course Marth and Ice Climbers), will I change back to Roy if he is not altered in any form and copy pasted in this new Smash, I would say with confidence that probably not, I will main again Olimar, Ice Climbers, Marth, King Dedede and the new to add Megaman and Rosalina with a test to Little Mac and Villager, will I change any of this new comers to get back Roy, Hell No! I prefer to see even more new comers and new movesets than get back into the past and stay there.

.n_n.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
So to cut through all the Roy talk, if that's still what we're talking about by the time I stop writing (I just love trying to change conversations, don't I?) how about a Zelda newcomer? The series warrants five reps, and the biggest question is who it should be.

I personally advocate for Toon Zelda/Tetra, out of fondness for the WW timeline and for quite a few other reasons. The "Toon" style is obviously how Nintendo likes their Young Link nowadays, so I think that as a growing subdivision of the series, it should get a new representative, and Tetra and T. Zelda seem just right for the job. (Bonus points: Sheik is a Ninja, Tetra is a Pirate. Pirates V.S. Ninjas =Winning)

Tingle definitely makes sense, I mean he's the only Zelda character with a recurring spinoff series, but the only thing he has going against him is his hatebase. Sakurai has expressed disinterest (PreBrawl, of course) in adding him because of this 'Americans Hate Tingle' stereotype and mentality. Unless he changes his mind like with the Villager, I'm not too sure about Tingle's chances. BESIDES HE WAS INSANELY CREEPY IN WIND WAKER.

Ghirahim is very popular, and gets a mention for being recent, buuut c'mon. If FABULOUS was all it took to be in Smash, we would've gotten Doc Louis by now :troll: . What I mean in a nutshell is, he was in one game, and unlike other characters I support who have that same concept going around them, he doesn't appear to be returning soon, he didn't introduce a major plot point to his franchise (Demise did it for him), and he doesn't promote say, a new Zelda game, or a key relationship between two companies *COUGHCOUGHLIKEGENODOESWITHSQUAREENIXCOUGHCOUGH* , and I don't see a legitimate reason for his inclusion.

Vaati is on the other hand, the only recurring Zelda villan other than the Ganon Cannon himself, and reps the Toon side of Zelda with a Villan. He has good moveset potential, and an obvious choice for a cool Final Smash.

What, or more specifically WHO, do you guys think?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
So to cut through all the Roy talk, if that's still what we're talking about by the time I stop writing (I just love trying to change conversations, don't I?) how about a Zelda newcomer? The series warrants five reps, and the biggest question is who it should be.

I personally advocate for Toon Zelda/Tetra, out of fondness for the WW timeline and for quite a few other reasons. The "Toon" style is obviously how Nintendo likes their Young Link nowadays, so I think that as a growing subdivision of the series, it should get a new representative, and Tetra and T. Zelda seem just right for the job. (Bonus points: Sheik is a Ninja, Tetra is a Pirate. Pirates V.S. Ninjas =Winning)

Tingle definitely makes sense, I mean he's the only Zelda character with a recurring spinoff series, but the only thing he has going against him is his hatebase. Sakurai has expressed disinterest (PreBrawl, of course) in adding him because of this 'Americans Hate Tingle' stereotype and mentality. Unless he changes his mind like with the Villager, I'm not too sure about Tingle's chances. BESIDES HE WAS INSANELY CREEPY IN WIND WAKER.

Ghirahim is very popular, and gets a mention for being recent, buuut c'mon. If FABULOUS was all it took to be in Smash, we would've gotten Doc Louis by now :troll: . What I mean in a nutshell is, he was in one game, and unlike other characters I support who have that same concept going around them, he doesn't appear to be returning soon, he didn't introduce a major plot point to his franchise (Demise did it for him), and he doesn't promote say, a new Zelda game, or a key relationship between two companies *COUGHCOUGHLIKEGENODOESWITHSQUAREENIXCOUGHCOUGH* , and I don't see a legitimate reason for his inclusion.

Vaati is on the other hand, the only recurring Zelda villan other than the Ganon Cannon himself, and reps the Toon side of Zelda with a Villan. He has good moveset potential, and an obvious choice for a cool Final Smash.

What, or more specifically WHO, do you guys think?
For me would be Classic Ganon with his Trident, by now we have two versions of Link and two versions of Zelda, the ice on the cake would be two versions of the holder of Power, one representing the more mainstream series Ganondorf and the other representing the Classic part of the game.

For me there are three main series for Zelda; Classic: Zelda I, A Link to the Past, Between Worlds, etc.; Toon: Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, etc., and finally Mainstream: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, so the only series missing is the classic one and what better character to represent that part than Ganon and his iconic look.

.n_n.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
For me would be Classic Ganon with his Trident, by now we have two versions of Link and two versions of Zelda, the ice on the cake would be two versions of the holder of Power, one representing the more mainstream series Ganondorf and the other representing the Classic part of the game.

For me there are three main series for Zelda; Classic: Zelda I, A Link to the Past, Between Worlds, etc.; Toon: Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, etc., and finally Mainstream: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, so the only series missing is the classic one and what better character to represent that part than Ganon and his iconic look.

.n_n.
The iconic look from the CDi games? Be specific.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Why ONLY Ivysaur instead of the trio?
Because as much as I like Charizard and Squirtle as Pokémon, I can't stand playing as them in Smash, their movesets aren't all that fun imo. Ivysaur on the other hand is a blast.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Ghirahim is very popular, and gets a mention for being recent, buuut c'mon. If FABULOUS was all it took to be in Smash, we would've gotten Doc Louis by now :troll: . What I mean in a nutshell is, he was in one game, and unlike other characters I support who have that same concept going around them, he doesn't appear to be returning soon, he didn't introduce a major plot point to his franchise (Demise did it for him), and he doesn't promote say, a new Zelda game, or a key relationship between two companies *COUGHCOUGHLIKEGENODOESWITHSQUAREENIXCOUGHCOUGH* , and I don't see a legitimate reason for his inclusion .
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. While you might be right that Ghirahim doesn't promote a new Zelda game, the fact remains that if it wasn't for him the Zelda series might not exist in the first place. If it wasn't for him, Demise wouldn't have been resurrected, and subsequently Ganondorf wouldn't have been reincarnated alongside Link and Zelda. So yes, Ghirahim did indeed introduce a major plot point to the series, regardless of whether he makes another appearance in the future or not.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, are people really so stupid as to thinking size is still an issue?
With all of those Ridley size images still being used, it's not all that surprising that the size topic is still in progress. Ridley doesn't literally have to be bigger than Bowser, but he should at least be a size that's comparable to that of his NES incarnation.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Breaking news: size doesn't matter.

Well, if there's a Direct next month, I wouldn't count on Yoshi to be revealed. If Zelda's reveal is anything to go by, I'm almost sure Yoshi will be unveiled on Yoshi's New Island Japanese release date.

Also, with all the fuss about GBA games on Wii U, what if Mother 3 and/or Fire Emblem 6 get revealed as import titles? Not saying it will happen, as it's kind of a stretch, but it's a possibility certainly worth considering. I don't know why, but I have the feeling the next Direct will have its share of GBA stuff...

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well, if there's a Direct next month, I wouldn't count on Yoshi to be revealed. If Zelda's reveal is anything to go by, I'm almost sure Yoshi will be unveiled on Yoshi's New Island Japanese release date.
Frosty, I understand that I'd be expected to have patience, but it's just that Sonic and Yoshi are/were my highest desires for smash. We cannot have Smash without Yoshi.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. While you might be right that Ghirahim doesn't promote a new Zelda game, the fact remains that if it wasn't for him the Zelda series might not exist in the first place. If it wasn't for him, Demise wouldn't have been resurrected, and subsequently Ganondorf wouldn't have been reincarnated alongside Link and Zelda. So yes, Ghirahim did indeed introduce a major plot point to the series, regardless of whether he makes another appearance in the future or not.
But what I meant is, when you think of Geno, you think of the origin of the
"Stars are more than an item" concept as a key role in Mario games. The same goes for Chaos in the Sonic series, making Chaos Emeralds a plot writer.

What both of these characters have in common is that despite their minimal game appearances, they brought in or diversified new elements that in later games were key plot devices.

Canonically, Ghirahim is important. Mechanically, not as much.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Frosty, I understand that I'd be expected to have patience, but it's just that Sonic and Yoshi are/were my highest desires for smash. We cannot have Smash without Yoshi.
Yes, but is it really necessary to TALK IN GIANT TEXT WHILE SPAMMING EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!!!!!?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
WELL, YOU'RE DOING IT TOO!!!!!!!!!!
The point is that he's using it to prove a point, whereas you're doing it just to continue your past behavior. I'll have to ask you to stop doing that.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Yes, but is it really necessary to TALK IN GIANT TEXT WHILE SPAMMING EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!!!!!?
BUT ONE EXCLAMATION MARK ISN'T ENOUGH!!!!!!1!
WE NEED EMPHASIS!!!!!!!!! EMPHASIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

MOD NOTE: Please stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh, sorry, I'm just saying that I'm going crazy without Yoshi
I don't see why. He's obviously not getting cut. Veterans like Ike, Wolf, Lucas, and Snake deserve far more worry, honestly (even though I heavily doubt the former two are getting cut, personally).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mode notes saving the day.

When's this direct every ones talking about.
Currently, it's unannounced. But we always have a worldwide Direct every two months, so having one in April's pretty much a given thing, y'know?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't see why. Yoshi's obviously not getting cut.
I know that Yoshi won't ever be getting the bus ride, but I really think he's overdue. Like I've been saying, he and Sonic were my deepest most desperate desires for Smash 4, both guaranteed to return, but we get Sonic first before Yoshi, a third party character mind you, and as much as a Sonic fanboy I am more than Yoshi, I was very surprised with that. I guess you got a point though, it was really stupid of me to express my concern like some crazy maniacal monster, especially over a character who never missed a Smash game, never been unlockable, and never been doubted to return.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I know that Yoshi won't ever be getting the bus ride, but I really think he's overdue. Like I've been saying, he and Sonic were my deepest most desperate desires for Smash 4, both guaranteed to return, but we get Sonic first before Yoshi, a third party character mind you, and as much as a Sonic fanboy I am more than Yoshi, I was very surprised with that. I guess you got a point though, it was really stupid of me to express my concern like some crazy maniacal monster, especially over a character who never missed a Smash game, never been unlockable, and never been doubted to return.
Wait.
Didn't it take a while before Yoshi was revealed in Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom