• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'll give this some credit: they got the format and the links for the site down pretty well. Enough to give me a brief scare till I looked at the pictures and web address.
It's really easy to download a site's files and edit it from there, I've done it once before with the Smash site to see how its responsive design reacts.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
with how the industry likes to pull stunts on april fools, im not going to believe anything that comes within the next few days unless its on sakurai's miiverse
I'd seriously doubt the sincerity of any announcement on April Fools Day at all. I may not even bother checking Sakurai's post that day, it could be a big joke!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
...Is April Fools Day a celebrated holiday in Japan? I really doubt Sakurai even knows about it.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
From what I understand, it's a surprisingly widespread holiday. I've been told that even Japan celebrates it.
Huh. Ok, I wasn't sure if they did it or not.

So maybe we will get something special on that day.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
The whole Reggie/Nester business earlier got me thinking. I really want a character who fights using Nintendo products, like Consoles, Accessories, etc. (Wii remote, Wii U gamepad, 3DS, NES Cartridges, Swinging Gamecubes by the handle as a melee weapon, Styluses, NES Zappers, Heck, even Ultra Hands and Virtual Boys)

There are several ways to incorporate this into a character. Ignoring Reggie, Miis seem like the obvious way to do this, and if they get in, I hope the moveset works like so, but there are more obscure ways to achieve this, so maybe we could find other possibilities?

But since those ways are Nester and Captain N, we aren't even gonna bother talking about them.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The whole Reggie/Nester business earlier got me thinking. I really want a character who fights using Nintendo products, like Consoles, Accessories, etc. (Wii remote, Wii U gamepad, 3DS, NES Cartridges, Swinging Gamecubes by the handle as a melee weapon, Styluses, NES Zappers, Heck, even Ultra Hands and Virtual Boys)

There are several ways to incorporate this into a character. Ignoring Reggie, Miis seem like the obvious way to do this, and if they get in, I hope the moveset works like so, but there are more obscure ways to achieve this, so maybe we could find other possibilities?

But since those ways are Nester and Captain N, we aren't even gonna bother talking about them.
Does R.O.B. count as someone who fights using Nintendo products?

Although, for some reason, I never thought of the Miis using Nintendo products, although they could very easily incorporate it into their moveset. I imagine that them using the Wii Remote could allow for a lot of interesting move set possibilities.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Too bad the April Fool's attempts will never be on par with stuff like the Sheng Long rumor.
True, and with magazines really the only thing we had then it was much easier for them to pull off. Every attempt now is easy to spot, since most dont even come close to looking believable.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Does R.O.B. count as someone who fights using Nintendo products?

Although, for some reason, I never thought of the Miis using Nintendo products, although they could very easily incorporate it into their moveset. I imagine that them using the Wii Remote could allow for a lot of interesting move set possibilities.
ROB IS the product, so no.

And don't forget Gamecubes as a Melee weapon. Held by the handle, that's key stuff.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Finally, SOMEONE gets it! :)

But seriously, the handle was really cool and those things are durable as heck. Do want in some form.
I'm not too sure about the Gamecube being used as a blunt weapon, though, especially not by the Miis. They weren't exactly in existence during that time, so using a Gamecube in their move set would be a little weird. Especially since the Gamecube is most definitely not something that would typically be used to directly or indirectly inflict damage. A system controller, like a Wii remote, would be better for that sort of thing.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I'm not too sure about the Gamecube being used as a blunt weapon, though, especially not by the Miis. They weren't exactly in existence during that time, so using a Gamecube in their move set would be a little weird. Especially since the Gamecube is most definitely not something that would typically be used to directly or indirectly inflict damage. A system controller, like a Wii remote, would be better for that sort of thing.
I agree, but the whole concept would be kind of like this: they mainly use Wii, Wii U, 3DS, and occasionally DS hardware/software/appliances, as well as some Find Mii, Wii Sports, and Wii Sports Resort inspiration; but some lesser A button moves or Smash Attacks draw inspiration from the NES, SNES, GC, Gameboy, and their respective add-ons. See what I'm getting at?

That would be the pain relief cream for butthurt Mii haters, right there.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So apparently you can't hit things with a Gamecube now.

Seriously, Villager's presence alone defies the conventions of what is or isn't a weapon.

Groose

Smash Champion

From Official Nintendo Magazine (UK)
If only... if only. Too bad that the article itself mentions that it's just a suggestion, and it does not reflect knowledge of Smash's development.

Layton would be a dream for me. I originally thought he was a second-party character, and I assumed he would be a shoo-in for the next Smash. I labored under these delusions for several months until I read somewhere that it wasn't true. That was a pretty big letdown... :/

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If only... if only. Too bad that the article itself mentions that it's just a suggestion, and it does not reflect knowledge of Smash's development.

Layton would be a dream for me. I originally thought he was a second-party character, and I assumed he would be a shoo-in for the next Smash. I labored under these delusions for several months until I read somewhere that it wasn't true. That was a pretty big letdown... :/
Oh, I know, right? Professor Layton does come off as a second-party character for whatever reason, doesn't he? My guess is that most people who play through the games don't realize what Level-5 actually is. And it's a real pity, too. Really, if Layton wasn't third party, I think he would be a prime candidate for Smash. I might even go so far as to say he could have been a near shoo-in. Sadly, as a third party character, he doesn't quite reach the standards that have been set before him...

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499

I'm sorry for the disappointment, I just saw this being posted on a message board and decided to take this.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I still think layton isn't exactly 3rd party, the series is in a similar boat as Tetris. Which is third party but got music in brawl.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Speaking of Tetris (excuse this for not being on topic,) wouldn't a Tetris stage be a really unique stage to create? I could see it being the next Pictochat. Heck, even Tetris blocks as items.

Groose

Smash Champion
I finished my updated predictions roster a few weeks ago. I told myself I would post it as soon as we get the next character confirmation... :glare:

I plan to post it here next weekend regardless of whether or not we get a new character. I'm rather proud of the design of this one; it looks rather "official."

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Can someone please start a Saki thread please. And if there already is one give me a link to it.
I would make one but I'm terrible at it and almost always mess up the content but can someone please do it.
Sakurai's DOJO post about him really bothers me for some reason.
http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist12.html

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

From Official Nintendo Magazine (UK)
As much as I would love this, it doesn't have any significance.
As @ Groose Groose said above, it states it is only a suggestion. Plus, this thing has been done for other games besides Smash Bros., as it was part of a "Professor Layton Vs." section, which was a celebration for Professor Layton vs Pheonix Wright where they took a look at what may happen if Layton crossed over with other games.
For example, here is an Ocarina of Time one.
image.jpg

As for what I think of the possibility of the top-hated professor being in Smash, I love the idea! I think he does actually stand a decent chance!
Yes, he is legally a 3rd Party character, I feel he is spiritually a Nintendo character all the way.
When you think of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Snake, you don't immediately think of Nintendo. All those characters have been associated with many different consoles and companies throughout their lifespan.
Professor Layton, on the other hand, has ALWAYS been on the DS and 3DS. He has NEVER appeared on a non-Nintendo system, and has never left Nintendo since his start! So, yes, on paper he is a 3rd Party character, and I'm sure Sakurai would have to go through SOME legal stuff to get him in, but in Layton's spirit and personality, he is a Nintendo character until the end.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As much as I would love this, it doesn't have any significance.
As @ Groose Groose said above, it states it is only a suggestion. Plus, this thing has been done for other games besides Smash Bros., as it was part of a "Professor Layton Vs." section, which was a celebration for Professor Layton vs Pheonix Wright where they took a look at what may happen if Layton crossed over with other games.
For example, here is an Ocarina of Time one.
View attachment 11122

As for what I think of the possibility of the top-hated professor being in Smash, I love the idea! I think he does actually stand a decent chance!
Yes, he is legally a 3rd Party character, I feel he is spiritually a Nintendo character all the way.
When you think of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Snake, you don't immediately think of Nintendo. All those characters have been associated with many different consoles and companies throughout their lifespan.
Professor Layton, on the other hand, has ALWAYS been on the DS and 3DS. He has NEVER appeared on a non-Nintendo system, and has never left Nintendo since his start! So, yes, on paper he is a 3rd Party character, and I'm sure Sakurai would have to go through SOME legal stuff to get him in, but in Layton's spirit and personality, he is a Nintendo character until the end.
His problem is that he probably isn't considered "legendary", as opposed to the other 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom