• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Outside of the clone newcomers I think everyone should stay.
Love how no one pointed out I didn't mention Dark Pit earlier
I'm cool with the clone characters staying. So long as they change them even a little and don't add anymore. Keep the Doc the way he is though.... I'm nostalgic OK?

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I'm cool with the clone characters staying. So long as they change them even a little and don't add anymore. Keep the Doc the way he is though.... I'm nostalgic OK?
I'm fine with Lucina, because she's a different person and all, but Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are literally costumes for Pit and Mario. Dr.Mario isn't even very good in this game.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Offtopic but i decided to have my mom name all the characters should could on the current roster.Was interesting to say the least

Characters she know::4mario::4luigi::4link::4dk::4pacman::4sonic::4wiifit::4pikachu:

Characters she kinda knew::4bowser::4yoshi::4diddy::4zelda::4ryu::4mii:

Characters she thought were T.V or Movies::4pit:(tarzan):4samus:(iron man):4duckhunt:(pluto):4palutena:(buttercup)

Characters she didn't know::4bowserjr::4falcon::4charizard::4darkpit::4dedede::4falco::4fox::4ganondorf::4gaw::4greninja::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucas::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4ness::4olimar::4peach::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4feroy::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4zss:

So with a roster of 55 characters my mother only 9 and barely know 6.So in all 12/55.Better than i thought.
She thought that Pit was Tarzan of all things? What? I might actually want to try doing this with my mom, my predictions are that she won't recognize anyone but Mario, Pikachu and DK, possibly Ganondorf and Bowser, but just as "that scary dude you play a lot in that game" and "the monster on your T-shirt".

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The Smash 4 clones just lack any sort of... oomph. I mean, look at Ganondorf in Melee. Despite being a last minute character, they made him play incredibly different from Captain Falcon thanks to his emphasis on power and weight over speed. The Smash 4 clones just feel like palette swaps that occupy space on the roster screen ('cause... that's what they are). Lucina is alright, but I still don't really care for Dark Pit or Doc.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
[FE Fates SPOILER] http://andrea-ritsu.tumblr.com/post/123014145700/a-new-degree-of-homophobia-in-fire-emblem-fates

I'm sorry if there are Kamui/Corrin supporters among you, but I feel he/she'll get a hatebase as huge as Ridley's.

And for a legitimate reason this time.
What the actual ****.

EDIT:

Wait, Tumblr's full of it again. Turns out this girl's weakness is cute girls. As in; she faints around those she fancies. Which makes her unable to become the cool warrior she wants to be.

To rectify this Corrin uses a magic potion to help her overcome the weakness so she doesn't pass out on the battlefield with no intention of converting her straight.

Tumblr overreacting to **** yet again. Ignore that bait.

To view the support yourself:

http://pastebin.com/bgQC0yEa

Make your own judgement, but I honestly don't think it's gay conversion like they're making out it is.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Anyone who says Doc isn't viable has never played custom Doc.

Incidentally, if you call Doc a "full" clone, you have to call Toon Link and Falco "full" clones too.

They aren't.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't know why people are hating on Dr. Mario. He is a million times cooler than OG Mario.
Works a hard full-time job as a doctor but still has enough time to lay down an ass beating. :4drmario:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So guys, I wanna ask, what is you're preferred Nintendo Retro pick for the ballot. If any Nintendo retro newcomer was added. Mine is Goku, *Waits to hear angry people rioting outside my door*

from Yuyuki.
Well, mine is Captain N despite him not being a video game character but at least he is still a Nintendo character.

Second choice is Takamaru because he seems pretty interesting and Sakurai considered him for SSB4 before he realized that my most-wanted choice is the best choice. :4duckhunt:

Third choice is Muddy Mole... I liked Mole Mania.

I knew who :yoshi64::mario64::luigi64::dk64: :pikachu64::jigglypuff64: and :link64: were. Played a fair bit the listed characters games when I was a kid. Mostly the SNES, N64, GB,GBC,GBA SP and Gamecube with a bit of NES, DS and PS2, PS1 thrown in.

:kirby64:, :fox64:, :samus64:, :falcon64: and :ness64: I did not know, was 7 when Smash 64 came out.

Melee comes round and pretty familiar with :bowsermelee::peachmelee: :pichumelee::mewtwomelee: :zeldamelee::sheikmelee: :ganondorfmelee: :younglinkmelee::drmario:, again played a lot of games they were in.

I didn't know :gawmelee: as well as the above but played te Game Boy Gallerys on GBC so recognised him.

:icsmelee::marthmelee::roymelee: and Falco, Didn't know these 4.

With Brawl :pt::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::toonlink::diddy::olimar::warioc: were easily familiar.
:lucario: I did not know, getting a bit old for Pokemon now :p
:rob: from Mario Kart DS, that was all I knew of him at the time, then went back and researched.
:sonic: Never owned a Sega console growing up but Sonic was enough of an icon to know about him.
:snake: Played a few Metal Gear games over the years so recognised him.

:ike: :lucas: :pit::metaknight::dedede: :zerosuitsamus::wolf: I didn't know. If you can't already tell I'm not a huge Star Fox, FE or Kirby fan :p

:4bowserjr:Heard of him from mostly the spin off Mario games
:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: Super Mario World FTW!(Do people still say that?) Knew them well.
:rosalina:Played a tiny bit of Galaxy so had a small idea of who she was
:4darkpit::4palutena: :4greninja::4robinm::4lucina: :4shulk:Didn't know.
:4duckhunt: Did hear about the game and the infamous laugh
:4littlemac: Saw him in Brawl and recognised him, looked him up.
:4wiifit: Knew of the franchise itself and what she stood for.
:4villager: Had a passing knowledge of the game and character
:4megaman: :4pacman: , Ryu Knew them off the bat, easy.

Possible DLC...

King K. Rool, Dixie Kong: Does a bear sh*t in the woods? :p
Isaac. First saw him in Brawl, looked him up.
Inkling: Playing Splatoon, familiar.
Bandana Dee: Hmmm is that DDD's Waddle Dee with a bandana and spear?
Chibi Robo, Shantae, Shovel Knight: No idea

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
The biggest twist would be Dr Mario not being related to Mario at all

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If you expect most of these characters, then I'm afraid to say that you may find yourself a bit disappointed...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Out of all the true clones Dr. Mario is the most unique compared to his counterpart, however he is still just a palette swap with a few changes in animations and a different Down B, not on the same level of Toon Link and Ganondorf who both function with completely different models...
So the Doc is still a True Clone though he plays like a Semi-clone...

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Out of all the true clones Dr. Mario is the most unique compared to his counterpart, however he is still just a palette swap with a few changes in animations and a different Down B, not on the same level of Toon Link and Ganondorf who both function with completely different models...
- Heavier, slower physics
- Different down-b
- Neutral-b has different trajectory and properties
- Different d-air
- F-air functions differently
- U-smash launches at a different angle
- Defensive playstyle as opposed to quick and nimble tactics
- Combo game is totally different

Yep, totally the same thing. ;3

Burruni

Smash Hero
Clones are determined by how differently they play, not how much they look the same.
Otherwise :4jigglypuff: would be a semi clone of :4kirby:
:4darkpit::4lucina: are a tier below clone, "Variants.' Like Melee :drmario:.
:falcomelee: is a full clone, and I call :4drmario:the same level because, in spite of the differences Winnie listed...
:4feroy::4ganondorf::4falco::4tlink: are still in a league above him in differentiation.
At least in my analysis of the characters.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
- Heavier, slower physics
- Different down-b
- Neutral-b has different trajectory and properties
- Different d-air
- F-air functions differently
- U-smash launches at a different angle
- Defensive playstyle as opposed to quick and nimble tactics
- Combo game is totally different

Yep, totally the same thing. ;3
I think you missed my point....Dr. Mario's attacks work differently yes, but they are still the same attacks, minus his Down B which was based off of Mario's original Down B to begin with...Dr. Mario's base model was worked off of Mario's rather than being a new model to begin with...

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think you missed my point....Dr. Mario's attacks work differently yes, but they are still the same attacks, minus his Down B which was based off of Mario's original Down B to begin with...Dr. Mario's base model was worked off of Mario's rather than being a new model to begin with...
Yes, and...?

Splitting hairs, friend.

Clones are determined by how differently they play, not how much they look the same.
Otherwise :4jigglypuff: would be a semi clone of :4kirby:
:4darkpit::4lucina: are a tier below clone, "Variants.' Like Melee :drmario:.
:falcomelee: is a full clone, and I call :4drmario:the same level because, in spite of the differences Winnie listed...
:4feroy::4ganondorf::4falco::4tlink: are still in a league above him in differentiation.
At least in my analysis of the characters.
You and I analyse characters very differently, then.

What matters to me beyond all else, of course, is how they feel.

Doc feels very different to Mario.

And he is very, very fun~ ;3

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
With the clones, you can't even really play Lucina the same as Marth. Even then it makes sense for her to be a clone.

Imo, Dark Pit is the worst offender, but even then I welcome him. More characters to play as, and another character that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Well, mine is Captain N despite him not being a video game character but at least he is still a Nintendo character.

Second choice is Takamaru because he seems pretty interesting and Sakurai considered him for SSB4 before he realized that my most-wanted choice is the best choice. :4duckhunt:

Third choice is Muddy Mole... I liked Mole Mania.
>Captain N

You rang? :4megaman: :4pit:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The Smash 4 clones just lack any sort of... oomph. I mean, look at Ganondorf in Melee. Despite being a last minute character, they made him play incredibly different from Captain Falcon thanks to his emphasis on power and weight over speed. The Smash 4 clones just feel like palette swaps that occupy space on the roster screen ('cause... that's what they are). Lucina is alright, but I still don't really care for Dark Pit or Doc.
I agree about Dark Pit and Lucina, but Doc is far more different than Mario in Smash 4 than you give him credit for. There's plenty of statistical differences between him and OG Mario, much more than the differences between DP and Pit. He even has a different down-air and down special.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
[FE Fates SPOILER] http://andrea-ritsu.tumblr.com/post/123014145700/a-new-degree-of-homophobia-in-fire-emblem-fates

EDIT : Other M seems to have found its successor in term of female character's sexist development.

I'm sorry if there are Kamui/Corrin supporters among you, but I feel he/she'll get a hatebase as huge as Ridley's.

And for a legitimate reason this time.
I guess you could call Tumblr.... Trigger Happy.

*Puts on sunglasses*

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAA-

Srsly though this is funny but painful to read.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yes, and...?

Splitting hairs, friend.
Splitting hairs? I call things how I see them, I don't really like any clones to begin with as it just looks lazy (yes I am aware of the whole development time and deadlines, and time saving that Sakurai and co has to do) but when it comes to certain characters that have more to offer :4ganondorf::4tlink: and those that just seem to be added for the hell of it:drmario::younglinkmelee::pichumelee: :4darkpit::4lucina:. This is where the whole issue comes into play.
Though some characters I'm fine with how they are :4falco::4lucas::wolf:, because it suits their character to begin with...and they differ greatly from their counterparts aside from their Final Smashes...
:4feroy:is a bit of a special case, but his cloneliness (word?) has been watered down greatly, but feels true to his character at least without having too much similar to his counterparts...

Sakurai has compared the whole clone thing to a free dessert that comes with a gourmet meal, it's one thing when we get a Gourmet Pasta dish, it's another when we get a Dairy Queen ice cream cone that comes with it for free (especially when we ordered a Steak dinner to begin with, but the Steak was too big to fit on the plate)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The problem with clones like Gannondorf is that Smash players do not want his moveset to change. Sakurai doesn't want to disappoint fans by changing their character. So, Gannondorf will not be treated like other big named characters.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I thought clones were characters with the same animations as others, all the clones in Melee play different to the original characters, but they are still, obviously, clones.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think it's worth noting that Dr. Mario, the series, is actually significant. It's Nintendo's biggest puzzle game series and it consistently gets games released.
So he's a completely justifiable character addition, in my opinion. Especially as a clone.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The problem with clones like Gannondorf is that Smash players do not want his moveset to change. Sakurai doesn't want to disappoint fans by changing their character. So, Gannondorf will not be treated like other big named characters.
I don't think like a few small changes like his neutral air being similar to Mewtwo except with Dark Magic and fixing his attacks so he's still the same magic brawler without having the similarities to :4falcon:. I just hate the idea of turning him to another character and to give his moveset away because that's stupid and the moveset fits the triforce form of

:4link:Courage=Weapons and Sword master

:4zelda:Wisdom=Magic based

:4ganondorf:Power=Pure Brawler

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
With the clones, you can't even really play Lucina the same as Marth. Even then it makes sense for her to be a clone.

Imo, Dark Pit is the worst offender, but even then I welcome him. More characters to play as, and another character that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
I still feel like they could've done more to differentiate him from Pit. Whenever I fight against Dark Pit the only real significant thing I see from him over Pit is that Electroshock just smacks Luma right off the stage instead of just knocking him straight up.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Let me go down this list...

1. Icies
While one of the most requested veterans worldwide, there is a REASON they were cut far greater than being low priority. They were locked out because, while working fine on WiiU, the 3DS lacked the hardware needed to handle them properly. It is entirely based on if the team IS EVEN WORKING ON THEM ANYMORE, and IF they can be forced to work. Simply having one Ice Climber who summons the other for attacks like Belay and Hammer Spin would compromise the identity of the fighter, which is basically the grounds by which Sakurai kept Ridley off the roster.

2. Birdo
Basically no demand and being a damn unpopular character. Nothing more to say here.

3. Donkey Kong Junior
Hasn't been seen since Mario Tennis 64 and isn't a name that people even throw around.

4 King K Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
Arguably the single most likely newcomer.

5 Wart (Super Mario Bros 2)
A character that hasn't been brought back once from a game that got reskinned into a Mario title and isn't asked for even remotely close enough.

6 Tatanga (Super Mario Land)
Final boss to a practically unreferenced Mario subseries and just a world boss to the sequel who hasn't been seen since. Almost as bad of a case as Wart.

7 Daisy (Super Mario Land)
Far better hopes to have been an alt than to be a new character.

8 Professor E Gadd (Luigi's Mansion)
No demand and his series is enveloped in a stage and Luigi's final smash, likely not to be seen even be an assist trophy.

9 Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
One of the best choice on merit for 3rd Party but little demand. We're incredibly unlikely to see 3rd Party DLC due to the contracting matters, especially with the reserved company of Square.

10 Bomberman (Bomberman)
Snake dominates any hopes for a Konami character, but Bomberman is one of the more requested 3rd Party newcomers worldwide, still. 3rd Part & Konami.

11 White Mage (Final Fantasy)
Every issue of Black Mage with less iconicism.

12 Dr Eggman (Sonic)
I don't see any 3rd Party series getting a second character until at least Smash 5 but even then HIGHLY unlikely.

13-16 Megaman charcters
No characters from the same 3rd party series, especially when most of the ones listed are VERY low in requests.

17-19 Mortal Kombat characters
M rated fighting game characters whose only claim to fame is over the top gory as all hell finishers with near no demand? Not a chance.

20-22 Killer Instinct Characters
A less iconic or famous fighting game series with less popularity that I believe is rated M AND OWNED BY RARE, WHICH IS NOW OWNED BY MICROSOFT? NO. HOPE.

23 Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
Most likely 3rd Party DLC. But is 3rd Party DLC.

24 Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
Nowhere near the needed level of iconicism or legacy, on top of being 3rd Capcom character.

25-27 Street Fighter Characters
Listed issues above and Evil Ryu would be an even worse Dark Pit situation.

28 Amaterasu (Okami)
Viewtiful Joe's issue.

29 Dig Dug (Dig Dug)
Iconicism but no legacy other than being "That OTHER Namco arcade series" and I don't think I've seen him truly requested.

30-31 Pac-Man characters
Next-to-no demand and multi-character 3rd party series issue.

32 Cat and Mouse (Mappy)
Pac-Man's Up+B is the only thing people remember about this game. Nowhere near the level of iconicism, legeacy, or requests needed.

Expecting even 5 of these 32 is being beyond optimistic in my eyes and I believe it's a view shared with a large population of the community.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hey, why don't we make a compromise. Ganondorf gets a whole new moveset (keeps Fair, F tilt, and Side Special) in the next game and we give the old Falcondorf moveset to Black Shadow. You know, after Samurai Goroh gets in Smash,

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Hey, why don't we make a compromise. Ganondorf gets a whole new moveset (keeps Fair, F tilt, and Side Special) in the next game and we give the old Falcondorf moveset to Black Shadow. You know, after Samurai Goroh gets in Smash,
Keep the glorious D-Air.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It isn't a damn compromise.
It's "Hey, you Ganondorf players who have gotten to love him playing this way for the past 3 games? Here's a totally different character you probably don't care at all about that has the same moveset!"
Have ACTUAL GANON and get that magical moveset with an iconic weapon.
Creating a newcomer to take a veteran's moveset for the sake of giving a veteran a new moveset is ass-backwards thinking!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Until we get Ridley, Ganon's not any likelier.

And no, this isn't open for more Ridley ********.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Splitting hairs? I call things how I see them, I don't really like any clones to begin with as it just looks lazy (yes I am aware of the whole development time and deadlines, and time saving that Sakurai and co has to do) but when it comes to certain characters that have more to offer :4ganondorf::4tlink: and those that just seem to be added for the hell of it:drmario::younglinkmelee::pichumelee: :4darkpit::4lucina:. This is where the whole issue comes into play.
Though some characters I'm fine with how they are :4falco::4lucas::wolf:, because it suits their character to begin with...and they differ greatly from their counterparts aside from their Final Smashes...
:4feroy:is a bit of a special case, but his cloneliness (word?) has been watered down greatly, but feels true to his character at least without having too much similar to his counterparts...

Sakurai has compared the whole clone thing to a free dessert that comes with a gourmet meal, it's one thing when we get a Gourmet Pasta dish, it's another when we get a Dairy Queen ice cream cone that comes with it for free (especially when we ordered a Steak dinner to begin with, but the Steak was too big to fit on the plate)
Call it as you wish.

It's still splitting hairs.

Until we get Ridley, Ganon's not any likelier.

And no, this isn't open for more Ridley ********.
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME

I disagree with you on the Ganon point, but that's got nothing to do with Ridley, so I'll just let it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom