• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brawl was my first game, and I recognised :mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2::warioc::yoshi2::dk2::diddy::pikachu2::jigglypuff::ivysaur::pt::squirtle::charizard::lucario::kirby2::metaknight: and :dedede: because of games/anime. I also recognised :link2::zelda::sheik::falcon::fox::gw: and :samus2: because of Super Smash Flash. I had no idea of other characters, mainly because my first Nintendo console was Nintendo DS so I hadn't played older Nintendo games (however, I had seen my friend playing some older Mario games, like SMB2, SMB3, SMW and SMW2: YI). I recognised all characters except :4wiifit: from SSB4.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Going back to Smash 64 the characters I could and couldn't recognize
:mario64::luigi64::yoshi64::dk64::kirby64::pikachu64::jigglypuff64::falcon64: we're the characters I recognized the most (if you're asking about Falcon, I played F-Zero X before I did of Smash) I knew of the Zelda series for a while but I didn't recognize the protagonist so :link64::samus64::ness64::fox64: were unfamiliar to me.

Melee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::zeldamelee::mewtwomelee::drmario::gawmelee::pichumelee::icsmelee:
I knew of the ICs due to actually playing the game they came from before and G&W due to playing the GBC games I really didn't know who :sheikmelee:&:ganondorfmelee: were so i was confused same with :falcomelee:. :marthmelee::roymelee: don't count.

Brawl::charizard::dedede::diddy::ivysaur::lucario::metaknight::olimar::rob::sonic::snake::pit::wario::zerosuitsamus: I knew of a lot of characters due to playing more games but I didn't get into FE until I played :ike:. Brawl is easier.

Smash 4:
EVERY SINGLE NEWCOMER, yes even :4shulk:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Out of interest, which newcomers in this iteration did you support during speculation?

:4bowserjr: Never even crossed my mind as a viable candidate, much less the Koopalings
:4darkpit: I figured he'd appear in some capacity, especially after Palutena's trailer, though I expected him to be an alt
:4duckhunt: Never once even thought of 'em
:4greninja: Definitely expected a Gen 6 Pokémon, though I was more so thinking Kalos Pokémon Trainer, and didn't really have much interest in it either way
:4littlemac: Thought he had a good chance and really wanted to see him
:4lucina: Never considered
:4megaman: Never considered
:4mii: Expected (though not as they turned out), had tepid interest
:4palutena: My most-wanted newcomer, full stop
:4pacman: Expected, and again had tepid interest
:4robinm: I definitely thought Chrom was the most viable candidate, though I did really like the idea of Robin (though I thought they'd be called "Avatar")
:rosalina: Didn't really think of her or have more than mild interest
:4ryu: Never considered
:4shulk: Didn't want him at all, due to my ignorance of his character
:4villager: Never considered
:4wiifit: Who honestly saw this coming or supported it unironically?

Aside from that, the only other character I really wanted was Wonder Red. I guess I got what I wanted in the end!
Newcomers in order of release
:4villager:: Thought he was kind of due but never thought about it.
:4megaman:: WAS FRIGGIN HYPED FOR BECAUSE I WANTED HIM SO BAD END NEVER SAW IT COMING TRUE.
:4wiifit:: ....... Moving on.
:rosalina:: One of my favorite Mario characters but never thought of her getting into Smash.
:4littlemac:: Thought he'd just get an updated look to the Assist Trophy and maybe a stage.
:4greninja:: I... expected him and wanted him as part of Kalos Trainer (Chespin-Braixen-Greninja). Does that count?
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:: Not how I wanted miis to work and am still a little upset. I wanted them to have a moveset that's all references to nintendo hardware or scraps of attacks from obscure references.
:4palutena:: Was certain she was going to happen once we saw Pit's final smash change. Disappointed by her specials.
:4pacman:: Cool and all but never really cared.
:4robinm::4robinf:: "More unique than Chrom, but less likely due to not really having a firm design and such." - Me, before "Monado Monday."
:4lucina:: Didn't want her in and wouldn't shed a tear if she got cut from Smash 5.
:4shulk:: ONCE I PLAYED HIS GAME, total damn support. Still upset they call Monado Armor & Enchant by the names Shield and Buster in this game.
:4darkpit:: BROOKLYN RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE. Everything wrong about Lucina but worse because there were so many weapon types he could have used that are still absent.
:4duckhunt:: No. No. No. Points to Sakurai for the moveset even though it's TOTALLY not my style, but you screwed up the BREED of this dog, his COLOUR REGIONS, and HIS LAUGH, THE ONLY THING HE'S REMEMBERED BY. The STAGE is a better representation of the game than the character and he just scorns me like some joke of not being Icies or B&K.
:4bowserjr:: Better than I ever expected. I expected to be a luigified clone of his dad with his paintbrush making up for what he lacked in strength. I MAIN THIS KID NOW.
:4ryu:: What. Ever. Like Pac-Man but with a control scheme I'm historically garbage at.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Newcomer reactions?
:4villager:Sure, why not?
:4megaman:I literally ran circles for an hour going "MEGA MAN! MEGA MAAAAAAN!"
:4wiifit:Kinda...Dumb
:rosalina:Not Nabbit 0/10, she's in everything outside of Mario Forum Simulator now
:4littlemac:Why do people like him?
:4greninja:No. He's not in. There is no way my favourite pokemon would ever be in sma-SQUEEEEEE
:4mii:Much better than I thought they'd be
:4palutena:She looks...Bland
:4pacman:SWEET JESUS THEY USED THE GOOD DESIGN
:4robinm:Oh cool! Definitely getting Awakening now!
:4lucina: **** you Chrom♪
:4shulk:Monado brat's pretty damn nifty!
:4bowserjr:Could we seriously not have gotten Nabbit instead?
:4duckhunt:I legitimately threw up
:4ryu:THISISNOTNINTEN-Wait, he's pretty damn cool. Input commands? Hope they work well (HAHAHA I THOUGHT I'D BE COMPETENT)

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I guess I can share my reactions towards the newcomers.

:4villager:: Never played Animal Crossing, but thought he was a great choice
:4megaman:: Screamed internally, and was very happy he got into the game
:4wiifit:: Laughed when I saw her, then thought she was an interesting choice
:rosalina:: I thought she was a good choice, and happy she got in
:4littlemac:: Probably my biggest reaction to a character. I was extremely happy, and planned to main him day one.
:4greninja:: A character I never expected, but thought he was a great choice to be added to the game.
:4mii:: I never liked the ideas of miis in the game. When I saw them, I waited to see them entirely. Now, i'm glad they aren't online, and think they are a neat addition.
:4palutena:: Expected, and was glad to see in the game.
:4pacman:: Very happy he had his classic design, and wanted to play as him so badly.
:4lucina:: I didn't care for her, since I didn't know how to play as Marth. However, it's thanks to her I now know how to use Marth's moveset.
:4robinm:: Looked like a cool choice and I preferred him over chrom when I saw the moveset.
:4shulk:: I thought he looked great, though I haven't played Xenoblade. I felt happy for his fans though.
:4bowserjr:: Never expected after Rosalina, yet I thought his moveset was amazing, as well as the costumes.
:4duckhunt:: After the shock of him in, I admired him. He's adorable, his moveset is great, and I love his remix and stage.
:4ryu:: I never wanted Ryu. But after I saw he was possibly getting in, I thought about it. And then I thought of the moveset. And finally, I was very excited to see him. That trailer was great, and i'm glad he's in the game.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Newcomer reactions:
:4villager: - [too hype blind of seeing the very first trailer of Smash4] ---YEAH, AWESOME! WHO'S THAT AGAIN?!
:4megaman: - OH MY GOOOOOOOD!!! *0* .. E3 IS FINISHED!
:4wiifit: - hahahahah, seriously, that's genius!
:rosalina: - ..wait... why her?..
:4littlemac: - YES, YES! [first seconds of the trailer]
:4greninja: - ..Who?...
:4lucina: - But that's not Rayman.. .-.
:4robinm: - definitively not Rayman...
:4mii: - HECK YEAH! The leak is real!
:4palutena: - eh...
:4darkpit: - he's not in the game, right?
:4pacman: - *screams late in the night*
:4shulk: - LEAKS, OMG! Who's that?!
:4duckhunt: - HOLY S***! --IT'S AMAZING!
:4bowserjr: - I hope he can turn in Shadow Mario!
:4ryu: - Ryu?! Ryu from Street Fighter?! It can't be! Oh Gosh, Smash4 don't let me have a break! =D

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ah, finalyl a different topic :)

I'm just going to do melee because when I played brawl, I pretty much knew everyone. These characters took years to fully know who they were as I could not read any English text so the trophies text were a mystery to me for a very long time.....IT WAS DAMM ANNOYING!

Anyway: here's eho I knew/ who the heck is this guy?

:bowsermelee:: yeah, I knew him of course. Pretty much the main mario character....I knew them already.
:falconmelee:: no freaking idea. I remember that I loved to complete the classic modes with the falcon punch and the cpu always falling into the hitbox, but I really had no idea whatsoever of who this guy was.
:dkmelee:: I actually knew him because I played dk64 before, a bit memorable experience so I knew him.
:drmario:: no idea what the heck. Seriously i heavilly wondered why he was there (remember, I had no idea there was actually legit reasons, I learned them a long time after).
:falcomelee:: absolutely no idea, there was that fox....i jsut don;t know the relevance of that guy.
:foxmelee:: also no idea, never touched any starfox nor saw them.
:ganondorfmelee:: ok this one was a mystery. He looked so coll BUT WHO THE HECK IS HE???? Seriously, this is the one I remember the most that I don;t remember because he looked so cool and I didn;t know he was actually an important character of zelda series which btw, I never heard of that serie before :)
:icsmelee:: really no idea.....
:jigglypuffmelee::.....well I got she was a pokemon, but.....what?
:kirbymelee::.....I think I might have knew him, but very far back in memories.
:linkmelee:: .....no. Guys, I had no idea what what the zelda series was and it took me a long time to get it.
:luigimelee:: I knew him, but it is worth mentioning that I knew him the least of the main 4.
:mariomelee:: of course I knew him.
:marthmelee:: do you seriously expect me to know what was FE if I don;t even know ganondorf? However, damm the FE theme was awesome....
:mewtwomelee:: I got it was pokemon.....but like jigglypuff, what? Altough let me jsut say it, I loved the way he do stuff :)
:gawmelee:: ok.....this one.....I think it;s the one I wanted to know the most. He QUICKLY became my main for several reasons that has to do with my wyessight.....but that feel when the game told you who he is, and you just couldn;t possibly understand it. Look, I legit was annoyed by this.....I really wanted to know who he weas because I had no clue.
:nessmelee:: no idea, see marth.
:peachmelee:: like mario, of course I knew her.
:pichumelee:: like jigglypluff.
:pikachumelee:: this one however I legit knew him, thanks to the anime that was broadcasted at the time (I don't think they are doing it here anymore).
:roymelee:: see marth, but love the fire :)
:samusmelee::.....ok this one I don;t really know. I played metroid prime and it looked to be the same character....but I don;t think i realised that both were the same character. I think I lean towards idk who she was, but one thing for sure, no I had no idea this character was female.
:sheikmelee:: no idea whatsoever.....
:yoshimelee:: actually.....no. yeah, no I didn;t knew him :)
:younglinkmelee:: this one is dr mario, why? I never got it, to me it felt random why having a young version of a character? Again, I never knew that there were reasons for that.
:zeldamelee:: see link, no idea.

So, how did i magically learned everyone?

After I took the VERY bad decision to sold my GC with all my games, years passed. i eventually acquired some English reading skills and use a pc. I got into a series of youtube videos about explained everything in ssbm when they came from. That includes character and it's at this moment that I realised games were arts.

This is actually the reasons I love video games int he first place and ssbm taught it to me :)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Newcomer Reactions:
:4villager:"Well that's a pleasant surprise"
:4megaman:"Mega Man?! nssd,jfnskjfs"
:4wiifit:".....okay"
:rosalina:"Was expecting her, that's a rather cool moveset!"
:4littlemac:"Huh, he looks pretty fun, about time he showed up"
:4greninja:"Looks pretty cool, not sure if I'll use him"
:4mii:"They look better than I expected"
:4palutena:"YUS! Second most wanted"
:4pacman:~Sweet Victory plays in my head~
:4robinm::4lucina:"You're not Rayman..."
:4shulk:"Oh hey, the leak was real"
:4darkpit:"You should have been a costume"
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:"That's a really interesting moveset. The Koopalings as alts? Yes please"
:4duckhunt:"I never knew I wanted you"
:4ryu:"Wow, he looks a lot better than I thought he would"

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Offtopic but i decided to have my mom name all the characters should could on the current roster.Was interesting to say the least

Characters she know::4mario::4luigi::4link::4dk::4pacman::4sonic::4wiifit::4pikachu:

Characters she kinda knew::4bowser::4yoshi::4diddy::4zelda::4ryu::4mii:

Characters she thought were T.V or Movies::4pit:(tarzan):4samus:(iron man):4duckhunt:(pluto):4palutena:(buttercup)

Characters she didn't know::4bowserjr::4falcon::4charizard::4darkpit::4dedede::4falco::4fox::4ganondorf::4gaw::4greninja::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucas::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4ness::4olimar::4peach::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4feroy::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4zss:

So with a roster of 55 characters my mother only 9 and barely know 6.So in all 12/55.Better than i thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Smash 4:

:4villager: - Fair enough.
:4megaman: - Good choice.
:4wiifit: - Wait, what?
:rosalina: - Sweet jesus that looks fun.
:4littlemac: - Fair enough.
:4greninja: - Good choice.
:4mii: - Now we've got that out of the way...
:4palutena: - God no, not more Kid Icarus.
:4pacman: - OH YES.
:4lucina: - The only good thing about your appearance is Captain Falcon.
:4robinm: - Well at least it's not Chrom...
:4shulk: - Another character I don't care about...
:4darkpit: - *Salt Intensifies*
:4bowserjr: - Pretty cool movese..OH MY GOD THE KOOPALINGS ARE ALTS
:4duckhunt: - This is pretty neat.
:4ryu: - DEAR GOD YES SAKURAI I FORGIVE YOU

Yeah, overall a little salty about 4 especially round Gematsu time and having Ice Climbers removed, but it's got enough stuff that I can still feel the hype.

My opinion on Smash 4 newcomer choices:

Excellent: :4megaman::4greninja::4bowserjr::4duckhunt:
Great: :4villager::4littlemac::4pacman::4robinm::4ryu:
Good: :rosalina::4palutena::4shulk:
Meh: :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: (though I don't think it was necessary to make three different Mii characters)
No: :4darkpit::4lucina: (would've been fine as alts, now FE and KI are overrepped imo):4wiifit:(she was just so random choice and no one really wanted her before her reveal, plus there were franchises that deserved a rep in Smash more than Wii Fit)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll do you guys one better.
:metaknight: - Cool more Kirby characters!
:pit: - Oh, the angel guy? He looks pretty cool!
:zerosuitsamus: - Uh... ehhh... meh.
:wario: - But of course!
:snake: - I don't know how to feel about this.
:ike: - Cool!
:pt: - Ok.
:diddy: - YAAAAAAAY DIDDY!!!

:lucas: - Yup. Another Ness.
:sonic: -

:dedede: - Here he is! My friend is going to go mental.
:olimar: - There's not going to be a character today. There hasn't been a character for like three months. I might as well not look. *looks* ....

:lucario: - Yep, the leak was real! Cool!
:toonlink: - Better than Young Link I suppose. Nice pirate ship stage tho!
:rob: - Huh. Ok. Heh look at everyone rage. :p
:wolf: - Yeah alright. But where's Isaac?

:4villager: - Oh Sakurai's a liar, that's cool. My friend is gonna die when I tell her.
:4megaman: - Yay! And awesome stage!
:4wiifit: - You must be joking. -_-
:rosalina: - Uh, ok.
:4littlemac: - Yup. Wow he is little.
:4greninja: - Ehhhhhhhhhhh
:4mii: - Interesting gimmick, but I still hate em. Dumb Miis, NOBODY WANTED YOU!
:4palutena: - THATSTOOMANYATTACKSSAKURAIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*noises**falls over* (freakout also partially due to the culmination of the E3 2014 Direct)
:4pacman: - Oh thank gawd it's the good design
:4lucina: - What? You aren't Chrom.
:4robinm: - What??? You aren't Chrom!!! :DD
:4shulk: - Glad they kept the same VA. Also lovely music, glad it was included. Can I just have this game already? *not even a little surprised*
:4bowserjr: - Cool!
:4duckhunt: - Cool!
:4drmario: - Ehhhhhhhhhhhh wurs Mewtwo tho
:4darkpit: -

:4mewtwo: - YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY (pfft I knew it was gonna happen :smirk:)
:4lucas: - Is it Lucas? It's Lucas isn't it? It's Lucas. Is it Lucas? LUCAS! ... ok that's neat. Where's Wolf?
:4feroy: - K. Glad they went with that design.
:4ryu: - Nehhhhhhhhhhhhhh nehhhhhhhhhhh :/

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My opinion on Smash 4's newcomers...

:4villager: - meh...
:4megaman: - Awesome!
:4wiifit: - ....really?
:rosalina: - Cool, but meh...
:4littlemac: - Expected, but looks fun
:4greninja: - HOLY GRENINJA!!! AWESOME!!!
:4mii: - *chuckles*...also Goku confirmed!
:4palutena: - Expected also but cool....wait, plz no Dark Pit...
:4pacman: - NICE!!!
:4lucina: - Who?
:4robinm: - um....Who?
:4shulk: - um................Who?
:4darkpit: - ......*sigh*
:4bowserjr: - Jr?... really?....
:4duckhunt: - Cool I guess...
:4ryu: - 1st leak-Ryu? really?....2nd leak-Ok, now this looks hype...Reveal and release-Ryu too OP plz nerf....

yeah didn't have a lot to be excited about, save for Greninja and third party newcomers...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My opinion on Smash 4's newcomers:
Meh: :4greninja::4darkpit: :4palutena:(Dark Pit is self-explanatory, Greninja annoys me because he's not Hawlucha and wasn't Mewtwo)
Good: :4villagerf::4bowserjr::4duckhunt:
Great: :4shulk::4pacman::4ryu:
Awesome: :4robinf::4littlemac:
Outstanding::rosalina::4megaman:(Rosalina was a very pleasant surprise, and Mega Man is the embodiment of hype)
AMAZING: :4lucina: (my most wanted character after Ghirahim (RIP), completely satisfied with the clone tbh)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My reactions to ssb4 newcomers.
:4villager: Diddn't care.
:4megaman: YES!!!!!!!!!!
:4wiifit:(Laughs at the trailer)
:rosalina:Sorta happy but didn't really care
:4littlemac:didn't care
:4greninja:Thought it was fake at first (cuz a friend only showed me the splash art.). When I found out it was real I raged for about a good 10 minutes
:4palutena::4darkpit:Didn't care
:4pacman:Funny thing is, I was wondering why he wasn't in the game the same morning he was revealed
:4mii:Was happy. And wierded out by the "trailer"
:4lucina::4robinm:Was disappointed
:4shulk:Didn't care
:4bowserjr:Was happy
:4duckhunt:Was happy, cuz dog bias

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
:4villager:: Didn't pay too much mind to it because I knew AC was getting a rep in the game.
:4megaman:: Didn't really care all that much but I did acknowledge it was a great addition to the Smash Bros roster and I was generally happy for the people that wanted him in.
:4wiifit:: Was disgusted by her and I hope she doesn't make it to the next game.
:rosalina:: I wanted other Mario characters and I didn't like the fact that Nin was putting her in pretty much every Mario related game so I was salty about her getting in.

:4littlemac:: Thought he was a wasted spot on the roster until I found out more about him and the game he came from and changed my mind. I also kinda enjoyed his playstyle in the game.
:4greninja:: Extremely Salty (more so than any newcomer beforehand) because his inclusion meant that :4mewtwo:'s chances were down the drain. I guess my hate for him was unwarranted though I couldn't get over my bitterness for that happening. Thankfully, :4mewtwo:is in the game now so I don't really dislike him anymore.
:4palutena::4darkpit:: New KI reps and I wasn't really familiar with the series so I just didn't care about both of their inclusions.
:4pacman:: Pretty much the same story as :4megaman:. I thought both of them being in the game was pretty neat.
:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:: Probably the only newcomer that excited me really. Mii's in Smash were overdue IMO.
:4robinm::4lucina:: Didn't really care all that much though :4robinm:was a much better addition to the roster than Chrom could ever be really. :4lucina:I was salty about getting in the game because her spot could have easily went to :4feroy:(whom I really wanted to return with the revamped moveset he has in Sm4sH) and she could have been an alt for :4marth:(same goes for :4darkpit:as well).
:4shulk:: Had no idea what Xenoblade was and I even got him confused with :4robinm:once. Have no idea how that happened lol. I ended up really enjoying his moveset and he's one of my mains in the game now.
:4bowserjr:: Decent I suppose. Still wanted other Mario characters.
:4duckhunt:: Every Smash game has a new retro rep so I wasn't all that surprised.
:4ryu:: The only newcomer I can actually say I was legitmately hyped for.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm going to be fully honest about what was going on in my mind.

:4villager: Despite what Sakurai said? Who cares now anyway, awesome!
:4megaman: Holy.... (I had never been that hyped in my life. His trailer was downright bone-chilling.)
:4wiifit: LMAO what. Yoga though, I approve. :yeahboi:
:rosalina: Finally a Mario newcomer! YES YES YES!
:4littlemac: At long last we got ONE prediction correct. Yay!
:4greninja: That was quite the troll. Where's Mewtwo though?
:4palutena: As expected. The trailer was confusing though...
:4mii: Also expected but not in this way. Thank God that they're not allowed in 'With Anyone'
:4pacman: THEY DID NOT USE THE GHOSTLY ADVENTURES DESIGN. YES YES YES!
:4lucina::4robinm: The second Holy... LONG LIVE SPECULATION. GEMATSU IS DEAD!
:4shulk: Why the hell did you reveal him in a Japan-only Direct? But hey, cool!
:4drmario: HE-HE'S BACK? HE'S BACK!!! :colorful:
:4bowserjr: MOAR MARIO! BRING 'EM ON! :awesome:
:4darkpit: THIS IS A THING? ...WHY?
:4duckhunt: Absolute disbelief. This is either the worst mover ever or the best move ever (looking back, I'll say best move ever, indeed.)
:4ryu: Leak: Hmm. Interesting. Trailer: The third holy... HOW ON EARTH DID THEY BRING HIM WHOLESALE FROM STREET FIGHTER? :colorful:

:231:

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Newcomer Reactions:
:4villager:: OMG YESH! Didn't expect him though because of Sakurai's previous statements.
:4megaman:: HOLY **** OMG! ITS MEGUH MAN SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT! One of my most wanted newcomers because he Mega Man
:4wiifit::What the ****? Okay, this is funny. Didn't expect her but I liked her anyway.
:rosalina:: GOD DAMMIT! Now Bowser Jr. can't join. I thought she was cool none the less.
:4littlemac:: YESH! MAC IS BACK! Was excited for Little Mac and was glad to see him in the roster.
:4greninja:: MEWTWO! MEWTWO! Wait that's not Mewtwo. I was kind of pissed, even though he was my starter in Pokemon X. Didn't mind seeing him but I wouldn't mind him not coming back.
:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:: Lol, Reggie and Iwata fighting. Seems cool. Kind of expected it after Villager.
:4palutena:: Cool. Kind of expected her.
:4darkpit:: Is he playable??? If he is, why the three Kid Icarus reps. And why is he not Medusa.
:4pacman:: Cool. That's bout it. Was excited to play him.
:4lucina:: Yep, Chrom's playable. Wat, Lucina? Ugh, Marth clone.
:4robinm::4robinf:: Cool, cool. My friend was excited and he/she looked cool.
:4shulk:: Yay! Shulk is in Smash. Why the Japan only announcement though?
:4bowserjr:: YES! GIVE MEH MAH BOWSER JR. WHY THE **** IS HE IN HIS CLOWN CAR! GOD THEY MADE IT SO HE HAS THE KOOPALINGS AS ALTS SO THAT'S WHY HE'S IN THE CLOWN CAR! **** BUT STILL COOL!
:4duckhunt:: Cool cool. Can't wait to play him.
:4ryu:: Why does Capcom get two reps??? Would rather have Bomberman but whatever. Don't come back for Smash 5.

:4charizard:: No, Pokemon Trainer?
:4drmario::

:4ganondorf:: WHY DO YOU NOT CHANGE HIS MOVES SAKURAI! HE'S THE KING OF EVIL NOT CAPTAIN FALCON'S STUNT DOUBLE!

Pyrosphere Ridley: **** you Sakurai. That reasoning is bull****. For reference look above.

:4mewtwo:: MEWTWO MEWTWO MEWTWO MEWTWO MEWTWO MEWTWO MEWTWO!
:4lucas:: LUCAS IS BACK! LUCAS IS BACK!

Smash Ballot: OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.
:4feroy:: NO! GOD PLEASE NO! Wait he semi-cloned. Yesh.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
:4villager:: Huh. I was expecting somebody from Animal Crossing, but not him..
:4megaman:: YES! They took the abilities from his games too!
:4wiifit:: Wait.... what?
:rosalina:: Huh. A new Mario character that isn't Bowser Jr.
:4littlemac:: YES! I am so glad for the community!
:4greninja:: MEWTWO MEWTWO MEWTWO..... wait GRENINJA?! Can't say I'm disappointed.
:4mii:: Was expecting them. Nothing special either.
:4palutena:: Huh. So Gematsu's probably real now.
:4pacman:: YES! They didn't use the ugly redesign.
:4lucina:: It's Chrom. Gematsu is real... wait, you're not Chrom.
:4robinm:: GEMATSU IS DEAAAAAD!
:4shulk:: So the leak is real.
:4drmario:: Totally unexpected, but I'm not disappointed.
:4bowserjr:: So he's actually in. His playstyle seems really interesting too.
:4duckhunt:: So this is our new retro rep. I LOVE IT!
:4darkpit:: Ehhhhhh......

:4mewtwo:: MEWTWO MEWTWO MEWTWO MEWTWO
:4lucas:: Nice. Look forward to playing him when he drops. (Ness was a secondary of mine back then.)
:4feroy:: I really like his design.
:4ryu:: Ryu has Street Fighter inputs? That is awesome!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Me going into Brawl without knowing many characters. Wasn't a huge fan back then.

:mario2:: Its Mario, how would I not know him. First introduction that I remember, was from my sister playing Sunshine.
:luigi2:: Luigi yay! (I always liked Luigi more). Double Dash.
:peach:: That's peachy. Knew her. See Mario for how I knew her.
:bowser2:: Bowser. Duh. Double Dash.
:dk2:: Donkey Kong. Duh. Double Dash.
:diddy:: Diddy Kong! from Mario Kart Double Dash!
:yoshi2:: Yoshi. Duh. Knew him from Sunshine.
:wario::warioc:: Wario! from Mario Kart Double Dash!
:link2:: That's Link. from Wind Waker but he looked different so it was weird.
:zelda:: Zelda... maybe? I knew she existed, but didn't know her that well.
:sheik:: I don't know who you are.
:ganondorf:: That guy looks like he'd the bad guy from the Zelda games.
:toonlink:: ITS LINK! FROM WIND WAKER! YAY!
:pikachu2:: Pikachu. from Pokemans Fire Red and Leaf Green.
:pt:: Pokemon Trainer with Pokemon I know of. from Pokemans Fire Red and Leaf Green.
:lucario:: The new Pokemon from the movie.
:jigglypuff:: Jigglypuff. from Pokemans Fire Red and Leaf Green.
:kirby2:: Kirby. knew him from Nightmare in Dreamland.
:dedede:: I know who he is, just don't know his name. knew him from Nightmare in Dreamland.
:metaknight:: That asshole from the Kirby games that I had trouble beating. Meta Knight. knew him from Nightmare in Dreamland.
:samus2:: Samus... maybe. Knew of her existence.
:zerosuitsamus:: I knew Samus was a girl already. Same as above.
:olimar:: Knew him from watching my sister and me trying (really failing) at Pikmin 2.
:sonic:: Sonic. Just knew who he was. Didn't really have a game of his or anything.
:falcon::ness2::lucas::fox::falco::wolf::popo::marth::ike::gw::pit::rob::snake:: Who?

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So, gonna go ahead and change topics...With Dreamland returning and both Hyrule and Peach's Castles being on the way...What stages are people interested/excited in seeing for DLC?
Let's talk about 'new' stages rather than old ones cuz then I'm sure we'll see lots of Saffron City, Fountain of Dreams, Fourside, Brinstar Depths, etc...And perhaps some music to go with it, if you want!

I'd like to see these stages...

Last edited:

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
My head literally ached from trying to read all these character comments in one sitting.

Not relevant to what's being discussed right now, but I used to wonder about Shy Guy getting into this game as Spear Guy, a spear user like Azura and Bandana Dee (SPEAR WARS!!) just for the fun of it. After :4ryu: got in, I messed around with a screenshot of him in an replay from an online match. :shyguy:

Would furiously buy :4ryu: if he had an alt that has a Shy Guy mask. Inspired by a silly scene in a fan-made animated movie I saw as a kid.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Reactions at the time:

:4villager:: Not personally invested, but glad to see the "too peaceful" fallacy was abandoned. Maybe "too big" will follow suit?
:4megaman:: Excellent! Not personally invested, but glad for his fans after all they've endured, and glad to see that fans are being heard to some degree.
:4wiifit:: Unfunny waste, why does everyone find "lol so shocking" to be some ultimate punchline indicative of Sakurai being a super-genius? Also, moveset looks dull.
:rosalina:: Moveset looks interesting, but not looking forward to all the muhrelevance frenzy she'll generate. Also, pity Bowser Jr. and Toad fans have to get sidelined for a character with a fraction of their history.
:4littlemac:: YES! Third/fourth most wanted newcomer makes it in, and at a time where the obsession over "Kong Duo" because muhrelevance + Tropical Freeze was at a fever pitch. Not a surprising inclusion, but a cathartic, surprising reveal.
:4greninja:: Feels forced. At least Lucario was really beloved in addition to being from the latest Brawl-era generation.
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:: God, why do they have to pander to the stupid "body is ready" crowd with that Reggie/Iwata trailer? Also, these look not only uninteresting with their movesets, but there are three of them instead of three actual characters. Sigh.
:4palutena:: Eh, expected due to popularity due to expectation from Sakurai making Uprising. Also, looks like they've added Dark Pit as a boss or something.
:4pacman:: Expected due to popularity due to expectation due to Namco's involvement, but with actual enjoyment involved, since Pac-Man's fans took a lot of crap from abrasive anti-third party users calling them foolish manchildren in their own thread. Trailer looks great, why the bloody hell did they show it behind closed doors instead of at the invitational?
:4robinm::4robinf:: No personal investment, but happy for his/her fans. Also, how pleasantly surprising it wasn't a Gematsu character.
:4lucina:: Oh yes! If we can get a unique FE character and a clone, surely we can get the same for DK, right? Right?
:4shulk:: Expected due to popularity due to expectation due to Gematsu. Might as well get him out of the way now so we can get the big names shown in an epic closing trailer, since they've totally learned from Brawl and won't just use the last few reveals as an anti-climactic dump for predictable veterans, right? Right?
:4darkpit:: Great, the character who won multiple "most hated potential newcomer" polls is now going to get a legion of apologists. Also, they chose HIM over other characters to turn into clones? HIM over other characters to give different character alt. costumes?
:4duckhunt:: Nice, my preferred choice for a retro character wins the rat race out of dozens of retros and gets in. But where are K. Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo?
:4bowserjr:: YES! Third/fourth most wanted newcomer makes it in with an interesting twist to allow for an unprecedented 8-in-1 character. But where are K. Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo?
:4ryu:: Definitely not a ballot character, not pleased to see him be chosen pre-ballot over other characters, but not a bad choice in his own right. Curious to see the details behind his inclusion explained in some future Famitsu column (guessing some deal with Capcom).

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Missed a number of great conversations!

Some of my newcomer + DLC reactions:
:4villager: - Called it!
:4megaman: - MEGA MAN!!
:4wiifit: - lol, still hyped for Villager and Mega Man
:rosalina: - Wow! I never would have thought of that one!
:4littlemac: - Yes! One of my most wanted!!
:4greninja: - Is that Sub-Zero - no, wait - it's just Greninja - neat, but head to class now.
:4mii: - Ha ha! I knew it!
:4palutena: - Yes! Lady Palutena!
:4pacman: - "They invited Pac-Man?!"
:4lucina: - "Wait, Lucina...? That's out of left field..."
(Video cut out after Elwind and I saw :4robinm: at the end) - "Wait, what...?! Robin's the newcomer and not Chrom!?"
Ironically hated Shulk when I saw that he was leaked, even though he was my most wanted newcomer - but by the time of his confirmation:
:4shulk: - "Yes! Shulk!"
:4darkpit: - "Okay."
:4bowserjr: - Admittedly my least favourite newcomer - but I'll take it.
:4duckhunt: - Had gone above my expectations - I was wrong.
:4mewtwo: - "Finally...! Mewtwo's coming back!!"
:4lucas: - "They're bringing Lucas back! Congratulations to all of his supporters!"
:4feroy: :4ryu: - "My Boy Roy and Ryu!? Things are about to get crazy-go-nuts!!"

Burruni

Smash Hero
Without a doubt - my reaction was pretty much Wreck-it Ralph all over again. :p
My reaction was basically
"GEMATSU LOCKED! GIMME MAH SHULK AND CHORUS KIDS AND I'LL ACCEPT HAVING TO TAKE CHROM AND JUST HOPE HE USES SOME SPEARS IN HIS MOVESET!"
I tried to make my post about the characters in retrospect, earlier

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So guys, I wanna ask, what is you're preferred Nintendo Retro pick for the ballot. If any Nintendo retro newcomer was added. Mine is Goku, *Waits to hear angry people rioting outside my door*

from Yuyuki.

Last edited:
So, gonna go ahead and change topics...With Dreamland returning and both Hyrule and Peach's Castles being on the way...What stages are people interested/excited in seeing for DLC?
Let's talk about 'new' stages rather than old ones cuz then I'm sure we'll see lots of Saffron City, Fountain of Dreams, Fourside, Brinstar Depths, etc...And perhaps some music to go with it, if you want!

I'd like to see these stages...
Phendrana drifts and skytown (even if i haven't finished it) are pretty much the only stages i want now that hyrule 64 back. Makna forest would be pretty cool too. Phendrana and makna are 2 of, of not my favorite areas in gaminh. I pretty much had phendrana drifts music on loop for months

Although i really only play legal stages anyway :/

Of course we could add blossom city, inkopolis plaza and the temple of wind (bravely default) into the mix but only because of what it implies. :p
So guys, I wanna ask, what is you're preferred Retro pick for the ballot. If any retro newcomer was added. Mine is Goku, *Waits to hear angry people rioting outside my door*

from Yuyuki.
Takamaru :troll:

Honestly i really dont care for any other retros. None of them seem interesting and i dont care for filling quotas/reps.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Phendrana drifts and skytown (even if i haven't finished it) are pretty much the only stages i want now that hyrule 64 back. Makna forest would be pretty cool too.

Although i really only play legal stages anyway :/

Takamaru :troll:

Honestly i really dont care for any other retros. None of them seem interesting and i dont care for filling quotas/reps.
But Goku though, he will troll them DBZ fans. Also he's a monkey with a staff that knows Kung Fu. HOW IS THAT NOT COOL! In my moveset for him I made him use some moves from Sun Wukong in Smite (character he's based on).

But Goku though, he will troll them DBZ fans. Also he's a monkey with a staff that knows Kung Fu. HOW IS THAT NOT COOL! In my moveset for him I made him use some moves from Sun Wukong in Smite (character he's based on).
1. Smite is awesome and if LOL didnf make me deepise MOBAS i would probably be off olaying hades right now. ( he was my avi for a while)

2. Adding a character purely for a joke seems very shortsighted once you realize dev time would have to go into it. If you want sun wukong, nintendo edition, go ahead and support but just wanting him for the name goku is not for me.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
1. Smite is awesome and if LOL didnf make me deepise MOBAS i would probably be off olaying hades right now. ( he was my avi for a while)

2. Adding a character purely for a joke seems very shortsighted once you realize dev time would have to go into it. If you want sun wukong, nintendo edition, go ahead and support but just wanting him for the name goku is not for me.
I'm the thread owner...
I don't want him solely for the name Goku, it'd be a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom