• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Gotta agree there, sometimes I get confused for certain characters, they play the games, they think it's awesome, but when it doesn't abide by Sakurai's rules, they don't support. Feels unnatural to me.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Kamek might be important in Yoshi games but in Mario games it's a generic enemy and I don't see it happening personally
Actually.
In japan, he's ALWAYS been a generic enemy. Just a normal Magikoopa with no special name.
Just a tidbit of history.

Also, Shantae > Shovel Knight. That's all I'm gonna say.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Actually.
In japan, he's ALWAYS been a generic enemy. Just a normal Magikoopa with no special name.
Just a tidbit of history.
Generic name and appearance, distinct character. Like Yoshi.

Kamek was Baby Bowser's caretaker and is the only Magikoopa to appear in the Yoshi series.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Soooo

If K. Rool and Isaac do get into this game

And presuming Sakurai doesn't shift his views on Ridley

What other "shoulda been in it a long time ago" choices could remain?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Soooo

An Actual Ganondorf and not Falcondorf

Soooo

Dixie, toad, krystal. . .

I realy assumed there would be more long standing characters when i typed this but the only other big frontrunners are pretty new or didnt hit their big time until recently. Cant say bandana dee should have been in a long time ago when he wasnt big a long time ago. . .

An argument could be made for waluigi i guess.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Dixie, toad, krystal. . .

I realy assumed there would be more long standing characters when i typed this but the only other big frontrunners are pretty new or didnt hit their big time until recently. Cant say bandana dee should have been in a long time ago when he wasnt big a long time ago. . .

An argument could be made for waluigi though.
You forgot the King of Porkness!
You run the subforum his thread has to hold in now.

Last edited:

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Wolf reveal in September direct and I'd say k.rool and Dixie in one trailer after Xmas or dec direct reveal. One can hope :)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Last 5 Characters for Sm4sH DLC

Snake
Wolf
K. Rool
Isaac
Bandanna Dee

Newcomers in Smash 5

Inklings
Chibi-Robo
Rayman
FE16/17 Character
7/8/9th Gen Pokemon
New Mario Character
Waluigi (Please?)
Wonder Red
Chorus Men
Krystal
Dixie Kong
Bomberman
Black Shadow (to take Ganondorf's moveset so Ganondorf can have his own unique moveset)
New/Pre-Existing LoZ Character
New Xenoblade Character
Heihachi Mishima (So there can be both a SF and Tekken rep in the game)
A Character from the Metroid Prime game that will be on the NX
Mr. Restii
Virdi
Takamaru
New Mii Classes

smashbroslegacy

Smash Rookie
So I'm new here and I've noticed something about the 3rd parties!
:4sonic:: Was included in Brawl due to the popularity of his rivalry with :4mario:. He represents the console war to ever happen
:snake:: Included because of sakurai's friend and represents the strategic games he comes from

:4pacman:: Included due to having appeared in many mario games, having games on pratically every console and handheld system ever , and represents namco.

:4megaman:: Really? Do I need to explain?

:4ryu:: Represents probably the most reconizable fighting game of all time.

:4ryu::4pacman::4sonic::4megaman::snake:: All represents many various ground breaking gaming genres and most non gamers recognize if asked who any character is.

Which leads me to believe:
1. any character popular enough to be recognized by nongamers
2. they must represent a genre not yet repped
3.Brings something unique to the table
The best choices are snake, shantae (indie), and banjo (3d platformmer)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
:4sonic:: Was included in Brawl due to the popularity of his rivalry with :4mario:. He represents the console war to ever happen
:snake:: Included because of sakurai's friend and represents the strategic games he comes from

:4pacman:: Included due to having appeared in many mario games, having games on pratically every console and handheld system ever , and represents namco.

:4ryu::4pacman::4sonic::4megaman::snake:: All represents many various ground breaking gaming genres and most non gamers recognize if asked who any character is.

You forgot Black Mage. Also Mega Man and Sonic both represent 2D platformers, something represented in Mario, so reason #2 does not apply.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

That's pretty much our general consensus when discussing Third Party characters...It pretty much has us believing that these characters must be something special in order to be included in this crossover...

Some characters like the Black Mage are part of franchises that have defined their current genre, in this example Final Fantasy being the turn based RPG, which has in a way influenced Nintendo games such as Pokemon, SMRPG, and Paper Mario

Simon Belmont can be classed in a similar way, though Metroid had already established the Metroidvania Platforming Genre, Castelvania expanded upon it...

Bomberman, an iconic character with a lasting legacy that falls just barely short of Megaman's, has a history of appearing on nintendo platforms...

Then there's other characters that are popular with a fair amount of support but not really having a lasting history such as Geno, or characters like Shovel Knight and Bayonetta who are still recent to gaming...and those that fall just short of being an icon like Professor Layton...Their chances aren't zero, but when looking at what we have in Smash currently they pale in comparison...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
When we get a third party character that your grandma doesn't recognize maybe then we can talk about Shantae and Shovel Knight. These guys are not icons that deserve to crash a Nintendo party.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Technically, Sonic and Mega Man are both platformers. So the "genre not yet repped" isn't exactly a set criteria, though that could apply.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have some questions. If third parties have to be recognized by nongamers...Who the **** would know Snake? And why do nongamers have to know the characters? They aren't the people buying the game.
If Shovel Knight got in...I'd be able to DIG it! Not buying his game until gender swap mode comes out though

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I have some questions. If third parties have to be recognized by nongamers...Who the **** would know Snake? And why do nongamers have to know the characters? They aren't the people buying the game.
If Shovel Knight got in...I'd be able to DIG it! Not buying his game until gender swap mode comes out though
TBH most non-gamers wouldn't recognize most of the Nintendo cast, let alone third parties...(recently watched some Youtubers quizzing their parents on the smash bros cast which had some hilarious results, I can't count how many of them called Samus a Transformer...these parents probably know more about Video games than the rest of the general non-gaming public to begin with)
:4mario::4sonic::4pikachu::4pacman::4dk:Almost everyone knows them...
:4luigi::4link::4bowser::4peach::4megaman::4yoshi::4mewtwo:Still somewhat familiar to a lot of people...
:4ganondorf::4gaw::4marth::4falcon::4ness::4samus:Pretty much all non-gamers won't even have a clue....

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Metal Gear Solid was one of the biggest games of the 90s. Lots of people know him.

If you're gonna be a non-Nintendo character in a Nintendo crossover you should be a big deal. Not an indie with a single game that's barely a year old.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Would adding Ninten to the roster be a tad excessive? I personally don't think so, because to me adding him and Porky would make the whole Earthbound/mother representation feel complete. Though I feel he would be kind of a stronger Ness, then again I know very little about Mother 1, saw Chugga's LP of it years ago but that's it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
There isn't anything unique Ninten has to offer as a fighter. I'd much rather have Porky.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Perhaps to some Ninten might be extensive, but I agree--he and / or Porky would "complete" the Mother characters in Smash and anyone else from the series would feel like an extra.

It's odd how Ness was included before Ninten in the first place. His inclusion would complete the protagonist trio.

Porky, however, is probably the more immediately attractive choice at this point. He can pilot a mech (either one of his two) and he can serve as a common link between EarthBound and Mother 3. You don't have to be a Mother fan to like mech characters.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Perhaps to some Ninten might be extensive, but I agree--he and / or Porky would "complete" the Mother characters in Smash and anyone else from the series would feel like an extra.

It's odd how Ness was included before Ninten in the first place. His inclusion would complete the protagonist trio.

Porky, however, is probably the more immediately attractive choice at this point. He can pilot a mech (either one of his two) and he can serve as a common link between EarthBound and Mother 3. You don't have to be a Mother fan to like mech characters.
Does Porky have PSI? My memory is a bit hazy.

edit: After reading the wikia, he can but it's similar to Giygas in that his attacks are beyond understanding.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Porky does not. Which is why he's a great choice as he is a chance to have a completely different type of character from the series.

Also villain.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
He does have PSI but it's delivered via his mechs.

I wouldn't say this for other characters but I think that just taking inspiration from his Brawl boss fight would help people imagine how he could play In Smash (obviously just make him a little smaller and some of his attacks less cheap). Make up new attacks for him otherwise that take inspiration from his two boss fights in the Mother games proper and bam, cool new mech character.

Pakky

Smash Hero
He does have PSI but it's delivered via his mechs.

I wouldn't say this for other characters but I think that just taking inspiration from his Brawl boss fight would help people imagine how he could play In Smash (obviously just make him a little smaller and some of his attacks less cheap). Make up new attacks for him otherwise that take inspiration from his two boss fights in the Mother games proper and bam, cool new mech character.
This might sound dumb but, him having an exchange with Mewtwo would be amazing.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Snake's a pretty big deal, actually. Snake was actually voted most popular character in Japan at one point, coming in a tie with Pikachu. Mario was 3rd... Yeah.

Edit: Yet Metal Gear games sell like **** over there. Japan you confuse the hell out of me...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Metal Gear sells well in Japan, at least for an adult shooter. It definitely has a strong dedicated fanbase, but they aren't kids which is Japan's biggest video game demographic.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just talked to a man from Spain.

He mistook music I was listening too as Metal Gear music (Metroid music sounds a tad like it sometimes I guess)

He doesn't play video games. Didn't know Metroid at all. Yet he knew Metal Gear and knew it well enough to somehow know what the music sounds like.

People who keep saying Snake and Metal Gear aren't big deals.

You're delusional.

There is more to video games then Nintendo and the few third party franchises they happened to put in Smash.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I was wondering about something as I've been looking at a couple of the polls for ballot characters and such, and that is; What is with the resurgence of all of this support for Banjo Kazooie? Now I'm not trying to badmouth the character at all, and I would personally be overjoyed to see Banjo come home to Nintendo, even if it was just for Smash.

But at the same time, isn't that kind of the pipe dream of pipe dreams for Smash. A first party IP of a competitor that once had relevance on Nintendo consoles, but hasn't for over a decade? It just seems like such an impossibility that I don't understand why he seems to be getting so much support when it seems like that support could be better placed elsewhere towards more realistic goals of characters. And I mean to some extent, isn't Duck Hunt sort of the placeholder Banjo Kazooie character anyway?

I'm not saying someone is stupid for supporting Banjo, but it just seems like a request so far removed from reality that I'd like to know why so many people have been voting for him. It's like Goku, a request that while awesome if it somehow actually happened, but incredibly unlikely when it comes down to it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It probably resulted from this Tweet from Xbox head honcho Phil Spencer:

I highly doubt that Nintendo would approve, though.
Free advertising for a rival's console? Of course Phil is down with it, he's not mad.

That said we still got :4ryu: despite him becoming a Sony exclusive. That's probably another factor that makes Banjo seem mildly possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom