• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
To me, as being something really stamped to the Smash series, it's too late to change Ganondorf at all... he could get changes slowly through the games to be something very unique in Smash 7 or so... but it's like giving a English voice for Marth by this point. Probably by the technical viewpoint, his moveset is accommodated and will stay that way while Sakurai is in charge. :\/

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Sakurai had to use the cartoon design for Pacman, we'd likely see Lloyd instead
Hmm... or maybe no Namco character at all.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai didn't want Pac-Man's new design, because it's incredibly ugly not iconic compared to the older design.
Lloyd is not iconic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hmm... or maybe no Namco character at all.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai didn't want Pac-Man's new design, because it's incredibly ugly not iconic compared to the older design.
Lloyd is not iconic.
He flatout said he might not have made Pac-Man playable if he had to use that design
He kinda is, I'm not a Tales fan and even I know who he is

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I wasn't. :ohwell:
So... who is the character?
He flatout said he might not have made Pac-Man playable if he had to use that design
He kinda is, I'm not a Tales fan and even I know who he is
And I said that Pac-Man's new design is not iconic compared to his old design, it would be like adding Sonic Boom Sonic or Box Art Mega Man IMO.
That's not really a reason to say Lloyd is iconic, we are "hardcore" fans, I know about Shovel Knight, Shantae, Lloyd, Klonoa and all those characters, that doesn't make them iconic.
I'm talking about Mario/Sonic/Ryu levels of iconic.

EDIT: ICONIC!!!!

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know who I think could be fun? E.Gadd.

Give him the Poltergust (or his own personal custom build). Give him ice and fire attacks, as well as some sort of mechanic involving blowing and sucking air to control movement.

The more I think about it, it sounds crazy awesome!

EDIT: If we're talking about "iconic status" there are different levels of that. Just because a character is iconic doesn't mean they're on par with Sonic or the rest. That's silly.

I love Lloyd and his game. But I would certainly say he's not THAT iconic.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You know who I think could be fun? E.Gadd.
Give him the Poltergust (or his own personal custom build). Give him ice and fire attacks, as well as some sort of mechanic involving blowing and sucking air to control movement.
The more I think about it, it sounds crazy awesome!
EDIT: If we're talking about "iconic status" there are different levels of that. Just because a character is iconic doesn't mean they're on par with Sonic or the rest. That's silly.
I love Lloyd and his game. But I would certainly say he's not THAT iconic.
Exactly. Link is iconic, but he's not Pac-Man iconic. Snake is iconic, but he's not Zelda iconic.
Also, E Gadd would be very cool!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... who is the character?

And I said that Pac-Man's new design is not iconic compared to his old design, it would be like adding Sonic Boom Sonic or Box Art Mega Man IMO.
That's not really a reason to say Lloyd is iconic, we are "hardcore" fans, I know about Shovel Knight, Shantae, Lloyd, Klonoa and all those characters, that doesn't make them iconic.
I'm talking about Mario/Sonic/Ryu levels of iconic.

EDIT: ICONIC!!!!
Simon Belmont is iconic. He should be in Smash too. The world of Castlevania would be a fantastic addition to Smash. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Bomberman as well. Someone else can take care of MGS and Silent Hill (Nintendo doesn't seem to be the type of developer to make these games).
Silent Hill... err, how about that Eternal Darkness game? It's a shame Nintendo doesn't have a flagship horror survival game series. :4luigi:

I agree with Bomberman. I haven't played many Bomberman games other than the 1993 game for TurboGrafx-16 (I have it on Wii Virtual Console) and my brother and I actually enjoyed it. I acknowledge it has a large fanbase and it's been on many Nintendo consoles. I think he would be a fantastic addition to Smash...

Metal Gear games on Nintendo consoles would be really nice... plus fans would be happy to have Snake back in Smash (even though I prefer Simon Belmont more).

Ooh, and Contra too! Bill Rizer would be pretty cool... especially if he comes with Lance Bean alt. And even if he uses real life guns, so what? The bullets don't even look realistic anyway... they look like energy balls like the Super Scope item anyway.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Silent Hill... err, how about that Eternal Darkness game? It's a shame Nintendo doesn't have a flagship horror survival game series. :4luigi:

I agree with Bomberman. I haven't played many Bomberman games other than the 1993 game for TurboGrafx-16 (I have it on Wii Virtual Console) and my brother and I actually enjoyed it. I acknowledge it has a large fanbase and it's been on many Nintendo consoles. I think he would be a fantastic addition to Smash...

Metal Gear games on Nintendo consoles would be really nice... plus fans would be happy to have Snake back in Smash (even though I prefer Simon Belmont more).

Ooh, and Contra too! Bill Rizer would be pretty cool... especially if he comes with Lance Bean alt. And even if he uses real life guns, so what? The bullets don't even look realistic anyway... they look like energy balls like the Super Scope item anyway.
Yeah, but Silent Hill is more like a normal horror game while Eternal Darkness is more psychological (pulls some nasty tricks on you making you think you're game crashed).
Contra would be cool.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A little bit late on the clone subject but here's my opinion on the whole subject.

Tier 0 (Full Clone)

:4lucina::4darkpit:

Might as well be an alt for their originators.

Tier 1 (Borderline Full Clone)

:pichumelee::drmario::younglinkmelee::falcomelee::luigi64:

Hardly any differences in comparison to their originators.

Tier 2 (Mostly a Clone)

:4drmario::roymelee::ganondorfmelee:

Posses very similar movesets to originator but has distinguishable moveset differences.

Tier 3 (Semi-Clone)

:4tlink::4feroy::4falco::4ganondorf:

Differentiated enough from their originators where they feel like their own unique characters.

Tier 4 (2/5ths of a Clone)

:4luigi:

Like the above only one step beyond.

Tier 5 (Quasi Clone)

:4lucas:

Character has unique characteristics were theirs hardly any similarities in playstyle to the originator.

Tier 6 (Characters with one cloned move)

:wolf::4myfriends::4lucario:

Calling these characters a clone is flat out wrong. They only share 1 move from another character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, but Silent Hill is more like a normal horror game while Eternal Darkness is more psychological (pulls some nasty tricks on you making you think you're game crashed).
Contra would be cool.
Silent Hill and normal don't fit into a sentence together. Silent Hill is usually psychological.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
A little bit late on the clone subject but here's my opinion on the whole subject.

Tier 0 (Full Clone)

:4lucina::4darkpit:

Might as well be an alt for their originators.

Tier 1 (Borderline Full Clone)

:pichumelee::drmario::younglinkmelee::falcomelee::luigi64:

Hardly any differences in comparison to their originators.

Tier 2 (Mostly a Clone)

:4drmario::roymelee::ganondorfmelee:

Posses very similar movesets to originator but has distinguishable moveset differences.

Tier 3 (Semi-Clone)

:4tlink::4feroy::4falco::4ganondorf:

Differentiated enough from their originators where they feel like their own unique characters.

Tier 4 (2/5ths of a Clone)

:4luigi:

Like the above only one step beyond.

Tier 5 (Quasi Clone)

:4lucas:

Character has unique characteristics were theirs hardly any similarities in playstyle to the originator.

Tier 6 (Characters with one cloned move)

:wolf::4myfriends::4lucario:

Calling these characters a clone is flat out wrong. They only share 1 move from another character.
Wolf is...

I'm sorry, Wolf is in no way less of a clone than Luigi is.

That's just plain incorrect.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wolf is...

I'm sorry, Wolf is in no way less of a clone than Luigi is.

That's just plain incorrect.
I haven't played Brawl in a while but how is that the case? Isn't Wolf different from Fox/Falco to the point where he only shares the same Down B?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Silent Hill and normal don't fit into a sentence together. Silent Hill is usually psychological.
There are 3 kinds of horror games. The one wear you're in a dark room and a monster goes 'abloogywoogywoo'. The one wear the same happens but in a well light room and the one wear you know the monster's there, you can't see it and you're aware it'll go 'abloogywoogywoo' but it doesn't go 'abloogywoogywoo' so you piss yourself in fear when he does go 'abloogywoogywoo'. Silent Hill is the third kind

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I haven't played Brawl in a while but how is that the case? Isn't Wolf different from Fox/Falco to the point where he only shares the same Down B?
- All specials are derivatives of Fox's
- Shares a number of normals
- Same Final Smash
- Fighting style is very close to Fox's

He's definitely one of the furthest from the source material, though he still retains similar elements; much more so than Luigi does, which is what I'm mentioning.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Nintendo should also buy Mega Man and a couple other Capcom franchises.
There are 3 kinds of horror games. The one wear you're in a dark room and a monster goes 'abloogywoogywoo'. The one wear the same happens but in a well light room and the one wear you know the monster's there, you can't see it and you're aware it'll go 'abloogywoogywoo' but it doesn't go 'abloogywoogywoo' so you piss yourself in fear when he does go 'abloogywoogywoo'. Silent Hill is the third kind

abloogywoogywoo! I scared you didn't I.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
- Same Final Smash

He's definitely one of the furthest from the source material, though he still retains similar elements; much more so than Luigi does, which is what I'm mentioning.
Just to clarify, when Wintropy says "derivatives," the specials look similar to Fox's, though they act a lot different. I definitely consider Wolf's specials to be derived from Fox's, though, not one of them is completely original.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Would everyone be ok if Ganondorf's B special was changed to Dead Man's Volley and his Warlock Punch was changed to be his new forward smash?

@ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA Imagine if Nintendo suddenly bought Capcom... now there are only two 3rd parties in the game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's a shame Nintendo doesn't have a flagship horror survival game series. :4luigi:
Except Luigi's Mansion wasn't supposed to be scary. They even took out a boss because they thought it would be "too scary".
Box Art Mega Man IMO.
What's a box art Mega Man? There was no box art Mega Man! What are you talking about? (Denial)
- Same Final Smash

Um... no. Very few of his attacks are shared with Fox, and there is no way they play the same way.
EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax5SRRc_Bi8 A little confusing with how close together they are, but it works. (They also compared the taunts. lol)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Would everyone be ok if Ganondorf's B special was changed to Dead Man's Volley and his Warlock Punch was changed to be his new forward smash?

@ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA Imagine if Nintendo suddenly bought Capcom... now there are only two 3rd parties in the game.
Almost everyone would be happy. The only sad people are the ones who liked using for Teh sk1lz dat k1lz

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hyrule Warriors Ganon reminds me, I also want a dual wielding character in Smash one day.
We almost had one, but...you know what happened to him.
:4robinm::4robinf:

I might miss the cool sword custom he has for that move, but otherwise I'd be quite content with that change.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
- Same Final Smash

Not really. A lot of Wolf's normal attacks focus a lot more on claw slashes rather then the kick based moves Fox has.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
- Same Final Smash

They might be similar but the way they function is really different. Roy's Blazer is similar looking to Marth's Dolphin Slash even though the 2 attacks operate in 2 very different manners.

Luigi is more similar to Mario than Wolf is to Fox IMO.

kylexv

Smash Master
Except Luigi's Mansion wasn't supposed to be scary. They even took out a boss because they thought it would be "too scary".

What's a box art Mega Man? There was no box art Mega Man! What are you talking about? (Denial)

Um... no. Very few of his attacks are shared with Fox, and there is no way they play the same way.
EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax5SRRc_Bi8 A little confusing with how close together they are, but it works. (They also compared the taunts. lol)
If anything, Wolf is just as similar to Fox as Lucas is to Ness. Almost every tilt, aerial, and smash are different, and their specials are similar to that character they are "cloned" from, but definitely not the exact same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom