• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Said the exact same thing in another thread.
There's others I'd kinda like to see. But those are the only ones I really care about that much. Dixie and Lip being the main other one's I'd like to see. I kinda want to see a Zelda character, but all the good choices are extremely unlikely.

No, I don't consider Impa a "good" choice unless she's got something other than "somewhat ninja-esque" moveset-wise which would simply make her too close to Sheik. And no, I don't think Hyrule Warriors would be used as a basis, either. I mean in an actual Zelda title.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There's others I'd kinda like to see. But those are the only ones I really care about that much. Dixie and Lip being the main other one's I'd like to see. I kinda want to see a Zelda character, but all the good choices are extremely unlikely.

No, I don't consider Impa a "good" choice unless she's got something other than "somewhat ninja-esque" moveset-wise which would simply make her too close to Sheik. And no, I don't think Hyrule Warriors would be used as a basis, either. I mean in an actual Zelda title.
I largely feel the same way. I have a few wish list characters (mostly third party, like Bomberman) but I'm fairly content with what we have with just a few exceptions. The roster NEEDS more DK reps, and ideally we would have both Dixie and K. Rool, but if I we received just K. Rool I would be satisfied. Isaac is a long standing want of mine as well, and Wolf is the one remaining veteran that has no real obstacles in the way of him coming back. Not having him as DLC would be both odd and disappointing.

Beyond that? I'm sure whomever we get, from Rayman to Bandanna Dee, will be fun to play as. That's all I really care about as long as Isaac, Wolf, and K. Rool are brought in.

By the way, classic Ganon is my go to for a Zelda rep. Heavy weight villains ftw.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Things like Ridley are one of the reasons I want to see a new director. I want to see Smash Bros. go in a different direction.
Note that I'm NOT saying Sakurai should never touch Smash again because he didn't want Ridley playable.
Disclaimer so people won't infer that's what I'm saying.
The fact that people would infer this from what you're saying by default should raise a red flag regarding how the fanbase handles different opinions.

I agree with what you're saying, and would love to see, for example, what new ideas a developer could add who's a been series fan, rather than its creator. Creating a quality Ridley (or more correctly, lacking the inhibitions that have kept him an NPC thus far) could be among them.

I don't think continuing support for Ridley will outright change much, but a sudden drop in support thanks to fans caving to vocal users' wishes online could definitely sink him even further. What's the downside, him missing out anyway again?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You're great. I like you.
We should totally have Sage Impa as a newcomer. It would be right up Sakurai's alley.
By the way, classic Ganon is my go to for a Zelda rep. Heavy weight villains ftw.
Also this.
You know he might be OP if he got in.
I don't think continuing support for Ridley will outright change much, but a sudden drop in support thanks to fans caving to vocal users' wishes online could definitely sink him even further. What's the downside, him missing out anyway again?
This sounds like a variation of my opinion on Assist Trophies.
So I agree.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'll be supporting Ridley for years to come
People get mocked and bullied just for wanting him, like wtf people, No lame Too Big Meme is gonna stand in my way

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
People get mocked and bullied just for wanting him, like wtf people, No lame Too Big Meme is gonna stand in my way
Such spirit is admirable, I'll give you that, but Here I will be always considering Prowl or Waluigi as more likely candidates in Smash.

Don't get the wrong idea, I wouldn't mind seeing Ridley in Smash, but there IS a limit to that sort of thing.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well i still do support him as well (just not as much since after his hazard reveal.)

For reasons of why he can be dlc

1 is the who ridley clones theory

2 sakurais 3 reasons in the interview are faulty which are

1# "shrink down the wings so he can't fly freely" problem is this :4charizard::4bowserjr::4darkpit::4dedede::4kirby::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4palutena::4pit: They all fly as much as ridley does and yet they're free flight is disable,
also ridley does not do 100% air attacks he fights on the ground just as much as air
And finally shrunken his wings are still enormous (aka coulden't he get a lot of jumps like a couple of the characters.)

2# "the balance is so big it would crash the game" first of all doesn't mean its impossible to do its just tough to balance it.
And second of all companys have done balance to work stuff like this before, take tansanoko vs capcom for example THERE ARE 2 GIANTS PLAYABLE FOR PEAK SAKES!

3# "reducing his size will ruin his threataning looks." Thats a piece of cake, im pretty sure ridley still looks threatening shruken because it may only require shrinking him by 50% for bowser size i believe (maybe less.) and plus ganondorf is shorter and he still looks mighty threatening, bowser as well. Basicly shruken or not in most fans hearts he will always look threatening.

Those are the problems I see in the interview

And to tell the truth for everyone I don't know why but i feel like theres something suspicous agout sakurais plans on dlc.

D

Deleted member

First people misconstrue the meaning of what Sakurai said, now people are literally making up arguments to argue against.

It is a sad, sad day indeed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So....

Isaac.

Good shot?

Bad shot?

Better than most?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'd say he's No. 2 out of all potential newcomers in the Ballot.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's best for Ridley fans to cover all the bases moving forward and all, countering both existing arguments and potential ones in their ballot write-ups. Their goal has mostly shifted (or should have shifted) from arguing that the character is feasible to informing Sakurai/the developers that they don't care if Ridley's Smash design requires a few trivial liberties to be taken compared to other candidates. I hope they keep hammering away in this regard, and don't get deterred by character thread essays to the tune of "I, personally, am FINE with boss Ridley, so fall in line behind me and stop caring too!"

In terms of Isaac, I am supportive of him after K. Rool for the ballot, and think he's basically the 'pre-release K. Rool' of DLC to K. Rool's 'pre-release Ridley.' Here's to hoping both have better odds this time. Maybe it's idealism on my part, but I think Nintendo will aim to select ballot characters who embody a 'fan-voted choice,' characters who may not be super high-profile in general, but who fans have identified as hidden gems capable of shining alongside the rest of the collection anyway.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So....

Isaac.

Good shot?

Bad shot?

Better than most?
As one of the most requested ballot candidates from what we can tell, I think he has a pretty good chance. He's popular, he obviously has tons of potential for a unique moveset and playstyle, and he doesn't have too much standing in his way. I'd certainly say he's one of the more likely candidates, and I'm hopeful for his inclusion.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So....

Isaac.

Good shot?

Bad shot?

Better than most?
I'd say he's currently top 3 most requested next to K Rool and Wolf...the only hindrance he really has is that his series has dwindled slightly but his popularity may give him a much needed boost...

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So....

Isaac.

Good shot?

Bad shot?

Better than most?
I'd certainly think he's a top contender, he's been requested for quite awhile and his assist trophy is gone, which dosen't really matter , cause then people would just ask for Felix or Matthew

.....Also Matthew and or Felix Alt or riot

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Going to be honest here as I've noticed a growing trend for this out and around the web;

People vocally supporting characters, not because they like them, but rather because they deem them likely.
Are people that desperate to be correct with their support that they'd rather support someone entirely to say "i told you so" than to get a character they genuinely like on the roster?

(before anyone says anything; all the characters in my sig are characters I've adored in their games, they just all happen to be modern characters too)

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Going to be honest here as I've noticed a growing trend for this out and around the web;

People vocally supporting characters, not because they like them, but rather because they deem them likely.
Are people that desperate to be correct with their support that they'd rather support someone entirely to say "i told you so" than to get a character they genuinely like on the roster?

(before anyone says anything; all the characters in my sig are characters I've adored in their games, they just all happen to be modern characters too)
The only characters I support are characters I like, and only 2 of the top 6 characters I want for DLC actually have a good shot of being DLC.
1.Wolf
2.Sami
3.Pious
4.King K Rool
5. Sturm
6. BB bandit trio

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I only support the characters I like. I would name them all, but that would take a while, and I'm not going to spend that much time just so people can say "0/10 too many unpopular opinions".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I don't consider any character but Impa a good choice because no other characters beside Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf) are re-occuring, and actually reincarnate into the lore. I see no future for basically no previous main characters in previous Zelda titles outside of Impa.

I could see Impa get in as the Hyrule Warriors new character, or she could be based on Zelda Wii U. Cause yes, I think that she will appear in that game to.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So....

Isaac.

Good shot?

Bad shot?

Better than most?
Doubtful, honestly. Sakurai just doesn't seem to think that most "second party" developed franchises are worth including as playable characters, unless they're a massive franchise like Pokemon. It's been years since anyone really cared about Golden Sun and I feel like if Isaac was going to be playable, it would of been back in Brawl.

Some say the exclusion of Isaac's assist trophy hints that he'll be put in as a playable character later, but I don't see it that way. To me, it just seems they didn't view him important enough to warrant being a high priority when it came to bringing assist trophies back.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
His best position to get in Smash was in Brawl when Golden Sun was at its mark. I'm sure at the time he was aware of his of potential and popularity, but he added him as an AT instead. Considering he's in a bad position with his series right now with Camelot focusing on the new Mario tennis game. I'm not too hopeful for his inclusion.

I'm not hopeful for any unrepresented franchises in general that haven't got the noticeable amount of popularity, unlike Rhythm Heaven and Splatoon.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

That's how I feel a lot of people are treating this...It's almost like a contest to support the character that gets in rather than standing behind characters they actually care about...It's the reason why a lot of pre-determined characters have little support because no one believes that they can become playable (even though the ballot is not just for Smash 4 DLC, but for the next game as well) so they shift their support to 'more likely' candidates...

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Some say the exclusion of Isaac's assist trophy hints that he'll be put in as a playable character later, but I don't see it that way. To me, it just seems they didn't view him important enough to warrant being a high priority when it came to bringing assist trophies back.
Yet Saki, a character who is less popular, who has fewer appearances, who is from a less popular and less successful series with fewer games, managed to get brought back.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
His best position to get in Smash was in Brawl when Golden Sun was at its mark. I'm sure at the time he was aware of his of potential and popularity, but he added him as an AT instead. Considering he's in a bad position with his series right now with Camelot focusing on the new Mario tennis game. I'm not too hopeful for his inclusion.

I'm not hopeful for any unrepresented franchises in general that haven't got the noticeable amount of popularity, unlike Rhythm Heaven and Splatoon.
Isn't Golden Sun noticeably more popular than the likes of Rhythm Heaven, though? At the very least, you have to concede that Isaac himself is one of the most demanded characters at the moment. That's not something to be ignored.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Again on the Impa subject...

She isn't a good Zelda character to some? But what exactly are her best alternatives? Young Link, Toon Zelda, Tetra and Ganon. All variations of a character who's already in. In a roster full of Zelda characters who share their identity. I really doubt that any newcomer from Zelda would be any other variation of Link or Zelda. Yet the character should be an iconic character in the Zelda lore to make it worthy of inclusion.

I literally see no other choice than Impa for this.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

I support Daisy and Toad until the very end! (Even though they aren't talked about much in the general character forums.)

I used to really miss Wolf, but people saying over and over again "HE'S GOING TO GET IN E3" is depressing. Same with Dixie, K.Rool and especially Issac.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So....

Isaac.

Good shot?

Bad shot?

Better than most?
After K.Rool, easily the most likely. Sakurai at the very least already recognised the character, and might have actually cut his AT because he planned on including Isaac. He might include Isaac later than King K.Rool however, as he might hold off Isaac till a new Golden Sun will at least be confirmed.

So to me, I'd say better than most.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Isn't Golden Sun noticeably more popular than the likes of Rhythm Heaven, though? At the very least, you have to concede that Isaac himself is one of the most demanded characters at the moment. That's not something to be ignored.
I won't deny ballot popularity. He also had noticeable amount of popularity in Brawl at the time to get considered when he was at his peak, but he chose not to and added him as an AT.

And I see RH as the more noticeable one with it's pretty iconic characters like the Wrestler and Chorus Kids, many of mini games get parodied a lot in YouTube with it's memorable music, even Xenoblade has that kind of parody with the Reyn Time and Xenoblade characters react to videos.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Golden Sun might be more popular than Rhythm Heaven (I have tying the word Rhythm especially as I'm used to typing the word riddim) but RH might get the favor because it's more orientated towards the Japanese audience. Golden Sun is significantly more popular in the West though. But if I have to make a guess, I think Chibi Robo might actually be more likely than both Isaac and Chorus Kids / whoever from RH.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I won't deny ballot popularity. He also had noticeable amount of popularity in Brawl at the time to get considered when he was at his peak, but he chose not to and added him as an AT.
True, but now we're in a situation where they're directly asking the fans who they'd like to see playable. Isaac is obviously one of the most demanded, so naturally he's an excellent choice for DLC. Saying he's less likely because he didn't make it into Brawl is similar to saying "Well, Mewtwo didn't make it onto the Smash 4 roster despite being at the peak of his popularity. Doubt he'll be made DLC."

And I see RH as the more noticeable one with it's pretty iconic characters like the Wrestler and Chorus Kids, many of mini games get parodied a lot in YouTube with it's memorable music, even Xenoblade has that kind of parody with the Reyn Time and Xenoblade characters react to videos.
I'm not sure if Youtube parodies are an accurate way to determine popularity. :ohwell:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

And that precisely is why I will always say "I told you so" :4duckhunt:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom