• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But why go for something scrapped if on-foot missions where fine in Assault? I never played Assault, mind you, but damn was I ever so interessted in playing it because of those on-foot missions!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I thought Splatoon would be a change in direction for their IP's, but who knows?
Even if it is, it's still a bit early off of Splatoon's reception for the effects of it to be perceptible in a way Nintendo would be able to demonstrate a few weeks after the game's release.

If it did persuade them to dip into new IPs more often, many would probably still be in pretty early development~

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I hope this mean we end up having a VERY BIG direct coming our way sometime soon. Cause really this direct was so lackluster.
There'd be little point to that, it's not like they're going to have a wealth of new games to show us anytime soon.

It'd be more of the same, which is largely what this Direct was.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would no longer be able to call myself a Metroid fangirl. Other M was not only absolute **** but also sexist, but this......this.... I want to cry
Hey, c'mon now. Maybe Anthony Higgs will again be the saving grace of this game!

This is literally the only thing positive I can say about this game currently

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I doubt it. we survived Other M and in a day or two everyone will realize this is a spin off. metroid isnt dead.

Once we eventually get a mainline title everyone will realize that.
Other M had Samus. This game does not. Metroid means warrior. Other M got the protagonist right despite ****ing her up the nostril. What's this game's excuse?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Retro isn't working on Metroid Nintendo should outsource it to a western developer who has a history of quality first-person perspective games.

Metroid is their dark and relatively mature series. This chibi-ish sports spin-off is a weird, potentially poor fit for the series. It seems like Nintendo doesn't quite know what to do with the series.

...which is sadly not a statement that applies solely to Metroid...

Burruni

Smash Hero
Which kinda reminds me. Did they mention anything more in regards to Starfox 2 for Starfox Zero? Is it some sort of revival of that game? (I didn't really watch the treehouse so I'm not sure.)
Here's my understanding.

It's basically a different way for how the series could have gone either during the time that Star Fox 64 took place or shortly after. Note: Pigma is alive and what little we got to see of Star Wolf ships in an All Range Fight were definitely antagonistic.

So, once again.

RIP Krystal.

Also, if anyone missed it, the Treehouse just showed off Paper Jam. It's.... Mario & Luigi RPG with a fair amount of Paper Mario aspects added in and mixed. Looks far better than Dream Team or Sticker Star.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I understand the sentimental feelings toward Mario's 30 year anniversary. Mario is my home boy. I grew up with him. But your big presentation to sell your product to your consumers is simply not the place to do that.
This. This, exactly. While I understand the need to give gaming's biggest icon his respects but, you should do that perhaps after or before E3. taking up precious time with filler and other "stuff" kills hype and makes everyone sad.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
There'd be little point to that, it's not like they're going to have a wealth of new games to show us anytime soon.

It'd be more of the same, which is largely what this Direct was.
Maybe, but apart of me thinks that this E3 may have been a filler direct on purpose, to throw all of us off and they're working on stuff that just weren't ready to be shown yet. Cause Platinum was suppose to have something and it didn't get showed. There were no third parties expect for Level 5 even though there was suppose to be a third party reel. So it really makes me wonder was this really just a filler and their going to show big stuff later down the rest of the year?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I love spinoffs most of the time, it's a way to innovate something and doing something new to popular franchises so they don't stale. The last time Metroid has a game was 2007 unless one counts that fanfiction in 2010. Metroid didn't need a spinoff but a new game that actually feels like it's Metroid. Best part is that Next Level's concept art of a potential Metroid that got scrapped in favour of Luigi's Mansion looked decent

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Retro isn't working on Metroid Nintendo should outsource it to a western developer who has a history of quality first-person perspective games.

Metroid is their dark and relatively mature series. This chibi-ish sports spin-off is a weird, potentially poor fit for the series. It seems like Nintendo doesn't quite know what to do with the series.

Literally every inch of creativity Nintendo has is applied to Mario, and Zelda with some luck attached.

I will die before I see the day when we'll get, say, Donkey Kong Galaxy or something.

Maybe, but apart of me thinks that this E3 may have been a filler direct on purpose, to throw all of us off and they're working on stuff that just weren't ready to be shown yet. Cause Platinum was suppose to have something and it didn't get showed. There were no third parties expect for Level 5 even though there was suppose to be a third party reel. So it really makes me wonder was this really just a filler and their going to show big stuff later down the rest of the year?
Platinum revealed something on the Square enix stream.

and they are working on Star Fox (kamiya tweeted about it too)

its retro studios thats a little more confusing. probably
I love spinoffs most of the time, it's a way to innovate something and doing something new to popular franchises so they don't stale. The last time Metroid has a game was 2007 unless one counts that fanfiction in 2010. Metroid didn't need a spinoff but a new game that actually feels like it's Metroid. Best part is that Next Level's concept art of a potential Metroid that got scrapped in favour of Luigi's Mansion looked decent
so nuts and bolts.

except unlike banjo Metriod hasnt been traded to a new company. and wasnt advertised as a main game.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Does anyone think that the two mario slots are preplanned DLC?
Yes. We've been running off of that theory.

:wolf: + Surprise Newcomer, most likely whoever was planned for Rhythm Heaven.

Edit:
Platinum revealed something on the Square enix stream.

and they are working on Star Fox (kamiya tweeted about it too)

its retro studios thats a little more confusing. probably
"Something" NIER FRIGGIN 2. THIS IS LIKE HEARING MOTHER 4 IS REAL, A NICHE BUT ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC GAME WHO WILL RIP YOUR HEART OUT GETTING A SEQUEL WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS DEAD.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

Which too is why I called it gross. You know what? Screw it, Platinum should make a metroid and infuse it with 60ccs of Bayonetta. I said it, I'm not ashamed either.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe, but apart of me thinks that this E3 may have been a filler direct on purpose, to throw all of us off and they're working on stuff that just weren't ready to be shown yet. Cause Platinum was suppose to have something and it didn't get showed. No other got anything expect Level 5 even though there was suppose to be a third party reel. So it really makes me wonder was this really just a filler and their going to show big stuff later down the rest of the year?
Platinum had Nier and Starfox.

Also, Nintendo would not use the time of year games get the most exposure to deliberately load it up with filler. As is what's happened, it reflects poorly on them.

The likely cause of this wholly underwhelming Direct is that Nintendo is shifting focus of their big titles somewhat abruptly to their future platforms due to the Wii U's failure, so they are left unprepared not only for this E3, but for the holiday and likely for most of 2016 as well. This direct likely yet unfortunately reflects the state of Nintendo's output in the next year or so in the face of pushing several projects onto the NX over the Wii U to give it the strong launch it direly needs.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously though, I could see a Federation Trooper made as an alt to :4miigun: as DLC.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Platinum had Nier and Starfox.

Also, Nintendo would not use the time of year games get the most exposure to deliberately load it up with filler. As is what's happened, it reflects poorly on them.

The likely cause of this wholly underwhelming Direct is that Nintendo is shifting focus of their big titles somewhat abruptly to their future platforms due to the Wii U's failure, so they are left unprepared not only for this E3, but for the holiday and likely for most of 2016 as well. This direct likely yet unfortunately reflects the state of Nintendo's output in the next year or so in the face of pushing several projects onto the NX over the Wii U to give it the strong launch it direly needs.
Isn't platinum also working on some transformer's game?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So Platinum did Star Fox this time. Well then looks like we may have to wait for the NX see how it'll do on its launch. To be honest I'm okay with it. I still think we may still some good stuff left for the Wii U but sadly, I think it's about time for its finale in a couple of years, or next year which ever one comes first. It looks like they're finally ready to move on.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Literally every inch of creativity Nintendo has is applied to Mario, and Zelda with some luck attached.

I will die before I see the day when we'll get, say, Donkey Kong Galaxy or something.
Sad but true. Splatoon must've been some sort of miracle. :rolleyes:

Though if "every inch of creativity Nintendo has" can only come up with NSMB2, U, 3D Land and World then we're in some trouble here..
Oh yeah and Mario Maker. Which looks fun but is something modders have been doing for over a decade by now.

Nintendo really needs some fresh blood, both internally and in partners/subsidiaries. Though mostly in the case of the former, who will give freer reign to the latter.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-and-3d-metroi-1590142491

metroid isnt dead from a spin off. I guarantee Metriod will be back in a year or two regardless of how the spin off does.
Agreed. Spin-offs rarely control the state of a series.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Yes. We've been running off of that theory.

:wolf: + Surprise Newcomer, most likely whoever was planned for Rhythm Heaven.
It would make sense considering Roy and Ryu are done. Plus, the possible August direct and I can't see them working on the ballot characters now since the poll ends in October.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Metroid was put in a coma by Other M. This game pulled the plug. ****ing look at Nintendo's YT channel and see the like/dislike ratio on this monstrocity
Why? Because it was a spinoff game that decided to do its own thing and people aren't keen on it, that suddenly means they're pulling the plug? I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. It's a side game, something the developers wanted to do outside of the main series that has no bearing on what happens in the future, just like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Paper Mario, and the like. If the game fails, it just means that the spinoff idea didn't do well, it doesn't mean that Nintendo won't revisit the franchise (hell, it may not even mean the spinoff won't be revisited), especially when they are considering new mainline Metroids since at least last year. Yeah the game was not what we expected, but saying that it's going to be the nail in the coffin when it's not even meant to be a big part of the series is just silly.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Man, what a lackluster E3. Star Fox Zero looked great so Nintendo had a strong start to E3, but then the rest wasn't anything too great. The only games shown off at E3 for the first time that I'm looking forward too were Star Fox and the Paper Mario X Mario and Luigi crossover. Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World looked good too, but those have been shown off so much. Zelda Triforce Heroes looks pretty good as well. Nothing else made an impression on me.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Wait, Retro didn't show anything at this E3, right? Maybe they have a DK game under the wings, considering the amount of teasing they have done about it, and Nintendo even registered a Diddy Kong trademark.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wait, Retro didn't show anything at this E3, right? Maybe they have a DK game under the wings, considering the amount of teasing they have done about it, and Nintendo even registered a Diddy Kong trademark.
As if there isn't already enough salt, Retro working on DK again would probably cause a riot at this point. :p

But yeah I did think we were going to get something from them.

(I'm still of the belief the Diddy Kong trademark is for Diddy Kong Racing U... or maybe NX though)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
W-w-w-wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttt!??!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom