• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It looks pretty cool. I had kind of forgotten about it.

It kind of reminds me of the Megaman Battle Network games. (I remember loving how detailed the towns and locations in those games were)
Yeah, there's certainly a nice relationship between the games. I played Battle Network as of recent, and it was an ok experience for me personally. It gets pretty boring after you beat Ice Man.

I saw a 4chan post that showed Nintendo's either hiding something or cut stuff out the digital event. Oddly enough, it's logical
im in that convo :upsidedown:
I doubt they would just suddenly decide to move multiple games to the NX like that. At least zelda is being released on Wii U (maybe both)
It just doesnt make sense to have multiple announcements lined up and just remove all of them at once.

Occam's razor I guess

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Doing a rundown of my favourite characters in each series in Smash.

Tell me yours if you want~ :3

:4mario: Wario
:4yoshi: Shy Guy
:4wario: Dribble and Spitz
:4dk: K. Rool
:4link: Toon Link
:4pikachu: Snover
:4falcon: Captain Falcon
:4fox: Wolf O'Donnell
:4kirby: Simirror
:4littlemac: Aran Ryan
:4marth: Tiki
:4ness: Porky
:4olimar: Olimar
:4pit: Pit
:4samus: Ridley
:4shulk: Shulk
:4villager: Mabel
:4sonic: Dr Eggman
:4megaman: Roll
:4pacman: Spooky
:4ryu: Sakura
:4mii: Monita

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Listing Wario as your favorite Mario character and not your favorite Wario character.
Wat.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Listing Wario as your favorite Mario character and not your favorite Wario character.
Wat.
'Cos it's true~ ;3

I like him the best out of the Mario cast, if only due to lack of characters that really interest me. I nearly included Dr Mario, an then realised Wario is where it's at.

WarioWare has Dribble and Spitz, though, and as much as I love Wario, he can't compete with a space-faring canine-feline cabbie duo~

:4mario: Luigi
:4dk: Dixie
:4link: Tetra
:4pikachu: :034:

:4fox: Falco
:4kirby: Bandana dee
:4littlemac:Bear Hugger
:4marth: Sully
:4ness: Kumatora
:4pit: Do I even need to say it?
:4ryu: Sagat
:4shulk: Melia
series I dont play omitted

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

:4luigi: The better brother.
:4yoshi: Poochy, obviously.
:4wario2: Hmm, Ashley.
:4dk: He's the first member of the Kremling Krew.
:4ganondorf: The Dark Lord. Also Midna, Medley, Ruto, Romani, etc..
:4pikachu: Goodra is the bes... wait, isn't it characters though? So it'd be Dawn and Red.
:4falcon: Captain Falcon.
:4fox: Krystal. Flame reflectors on.
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:This was too difficult for me, I love all three.
:4littlemac: That guy who stole your bike.
:4marth: Nowi is too cute.
:4ness: The PK Powerhouse.
:4olimar: Olimar is probably the greatest Nintendo character ever, so...
:4pit: Viridi. Viridi is best goddess.
:4samus: Sakurai.
:4shulk: Now it's Reyn Shulk time.
:4villager: Isabelle maybe?
:4sonic: ...There are like-able Sonic characters? I'm joking.
:4megaman: Roll. I guess.
:4pacman: The Man himself.
:4ryu: Uhhhhh...
:4mii: Dragon King.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Actually,
I think that's what makes the game better. The Metroid universe should expand and have more in it than just Samus. I will say that it may have been better to use an actual character and follow their adventures. I can see the complaints about the suit designs.
But really, that was one of the best things Nintendo showed. The games shown off were some of the worst I've ever seen.
Zelda multiplayer - I'm sorry, but puzzle solving with friends sounds boring. Also, I don't know why there is an emphasis on costumes. That looks really lame. Its a cool concept turned very boring.
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam - A crossover no one wanted and looks bad. These are two series that shouldn't mix. Paper Mario needs to stay its own thing and Mario and Luigi should just end. Its only gone down hill
Fire Emblem X SMT - Why is this game even being made?
Animal Crossing Board Game - Really wasn't needed and I don't really see the appeal. Might be OK and good for fans of Animal Crossing, but I'll pass otherwise.
The rest was fine. Star Fox and Mario Maker still look great. Mario Tennis looks OK, but its a Mario sports game so its what you'd expect. No Retro game is a let down. It would have definitly lightened up the event.
Four Swords got good reviews and I think making Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi crossover is really a creative idea. Nowadays those are the only two RPG's that Mario has. Although, I will say after watching some gameplay, it looks mostly like a Mario and Luigi game with little random Paper Mario elements sprinkled in there.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Actually,
I think that's what makes the game better. The Metroid universe should expand and have more in it than just Samus. I will say that it may have been better to use an actual character and follow their adventures. I can see the complaints about the suit designs.
But really, that was one of the best things Nintendo showed. The games shown off were some of the worst I've ever seen.
Zelda multiplayer - I'm sorry, but puzzle solving with friends sounds boring. Also, I don't know why there is an emphasis on costumes. That looks really lame. Its a cool concept turned very boring.
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam - A crossover no one wanted and looks bad. These are two series that shouldn't mix. Paper Mario needs to stay its own thing and Mario and Luigi should just end. Its only gone down hill
Fire Emblem X SMT - Why is this game even being made?
Animal Crossing Board Game - Really wasn't needed and I don't really see the appeal. Might be OK and good for fans of Animal Crossing, but I'll pass otherwise.
The rest was fine. Star Fox and Mario Maker still look great. Mario Tennis looks OK, but its a Mario sports game so its what you'd expect. No Retro game is a let down. It would have definitly lightened up the event.
I agree to a certain extent, it would be cool to see what else is going on beyond Samus and Metroids...though now isn't the time to expand upon the metroid universe since it has been on a lengthy hiatus...people want another metroid game because they want a continuation of the story's current plot whether its a Prime 4 or a sequel to fusion...rather than something that vaguely fits into the universe in some way...

If they do decide to do something like that having a story following another character is a much better route to follow as you said...perhaps a game where the player is Sylux and we follow its backstory and reasonings behind its hatred for the G-Fed...or something...

D

Deleted member

Does anyone think that the two mario slots are preplanned DLC?
I'm nearly 100% sure six DLC characters is all that we are getting at this point. There really isn't a lot of choices left for DLC candidates at this point that could realistically be ballot choices.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I agree to a certain extent, it would be cool to see what else is going on beyond Samus and Metroids...though now isn't the time to expand upon the metroid universe since it has been on a lengthy hiatus...people want another metroid game because they want a continuation of the story's current plot whether its a Prime 4 or a sequel to fusion...rather than something that vaguely fits into the universe in some way...

If they do decide to do something like that having a story following another character is a much better route to follow as you said...perhaps a game where the player is Sylux and we follow its backstory and reasonings behind its hatred for the G-Fed...or something...
I can understand the frustration in that context, and I think this game would receive more praise if Metroid games weren't so few and far between. I do think the best couse of action would be continue the series with a new character. Metroid isn't so attached to the main character as Mario and Zelda are. I think fans should take solice in the fact that Nintendo is not willfully preventing the series from continuing.

I just saw a gamefly commercial with a clear samus reference. How convenient.

Honestly i think a spin off focused on the GF was a really good idea. The 4 player game aspect just makes sense for the GF (although it might kill any reason for me to buy it).

But i agree the timing is terrible. This is the middle of a metroid drought with people fearing the future a spin off with a "weird" art direction is a huge turnoff.

If this was announced after literally any main metroid game i guarantee the response would be positive.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Can I just note something very very ironic in a depressing way about the Prime Spin-Offs?

Splatoon was meant to be something that was a spin-off or some similar derivative of Super Mario Sunshine. And they let it be a separate IP that had pretty much nothing but praise from E3 2014 and ended up being one of the best selling and reviewed games the WiiU has seen to not have :4mario: on the box.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I'm nearly 100% sure six DLC characters is all that we are getting at this point. There really isn't a lot of choices left for DLC candidates at this point that could realistically be ballot choices.
It can go either way I guess. It's very to hard to predict. I just hope one of them is Wolf even though he's likely.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I can understand the frustration in that context, and I think this game would receive more praise if Metroid games weren't so few and far between. I do think the best couse of action would be continue the series with a new character. Metroid isn't so attached to the main character as Mario and Zelda are. I think fans should take solice in the fact that Nintendo is not willfully preventing the series from continuing.
I think it's the other way around, there are many Mario titles that do not have Mario as the main character such as Luigi's Mansion and Captain toad, and if you want to count the Yoshi games as well...Also, sure Link is the main hero of the Zelda games, but some fans actually would like to see other characters take the spotlight, such as Zelda being a possible protagonist or a possible backstory on Ganon...whereas Metroid, is a different kind of series that doesn't encounter a lot of characters, (unlike both Mario and Zelda where there are NPCs everywhere) since Samus is usually the only person that the player ever experiences in game...

If anything Metroid is more attached to it's main character than any other game...

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

:4mario: - Fawful
:4link: - Darunia
:4dk: - K Rool
:4wario2: - Wario
:4falcon: - Captain Falcon
:4kirby: - Meta Knight
:4megaman: - Zero
:4samus: - Ridley
:4pit: - Hades
:4sonic: - Metal Sonic
:4pikachu: - Darkrai
:4shulk: - Dunban/Egil
:4marth: - Lucina
:4littlemac: - Bald Bull
:4ness: - Giygas
:4fox: - Wolf
:4olimar: - President
:snake: - Raiden
:4ryu: - Zangief
:4pacman: - Spooky

Remind me not to do this on Mobile ever again.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

You know this game is about the Galactic Federation so I would not at all be surprised if Sylux appears in this game as a recurring boss. This could even go so far as to explain his hatred for the GF.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think it's the other way around, there are many Mario titles that do not have Mario as the main character such as Luigi's Mansion and Captain toad, and if you want to count the Yoshi games as well...Also, sure Link is the main hero of the Zelda games, but some fans actually would like to see other characters take the spotlight, such as Zelda being a possible protagonist or a possible backstory on Ganon...whereas Metroid, is a different kind of series that doesn't encounter a lot of characters, (unlike both Mario and Zelda where there are NPCs everywhere) since Samus is usually the only person that the player ever experiences in game...

If anything Metroid is more attached to it's main character than any other game...
Mario has other characters in larger rioles because the series is large. Its the reason you have cartoons/movies star Donald Duck and Goofy without Mickey.
Metroid is not so much about Samus but about the Metroids. The series has a lot of lore that is not directly connected to Samus. You can easily put a character in there that isn't Samus without missing a beat. Say, have a game set in the future, Samus died long ago, and the game follows a new heroin. She gets stranded on a alien planet, finds a Chozo suit, and has to eliminate a new threat on this planet.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So um... Was anyone else wondering when they were gonna show us what the heck the Muppets had to do with anything? (I know it wasn't the actual Muppets but still.)
a "weird" art direction
Honestley, I thought I was looking at Wizard 101 for a second.
You know this game is about the Galactic Federation so I would not at all be surprised if Sylux appears in this game as a recurring boss. This could even go so far as to explain his hatred for the GF.
Seems to me like it's Mario Party, that lacks Mario, and is a first person shooter. (Metroid style obviously)

:4mario:Toad
:4pikachu:Growlithe
:4pit:Can't decide between Pit and Palutena.
:4kirby:Either Bandana Dee or Magolor. (I started with Kirby's Return to Dreamland so that's why.)
:4dk:Diddy Kong
:4duckhunt:The dog. (Can't remember it's name but I know it's something stupid though.)
:4fox:Dunno too much about the series, so Fox.
:4link:Wolf Link... Which is still Link. So Link.
:4gaw:Mr. Game & Watch.
:4marth:Um...Roy?
:4littlemac:Um...Little Mac?
:4ness:The Photo Guy.
:4megaman:Snake Man.
:4mii:Me of course. :p
:4olimar:Olimar is the only character I have in depth knowledge about.
:4pacman:PAC-Man.
:4rob:R.O.B.
:4ryu:Um...Ryu?
:4samus:Um...Samus?
:4shulk:Riki.
:4sonic:Tails.
:4villager:K. K. Slider. (cuz he is a dog.)
:4wario2:Dribble & Spits look fun.
:4wiifit:Wii Fit Trainer. (I'd say me, but I don't play Wii Fit.)
:4yoshi:Poochey. (I don't know anything about him except he is adorable! :3)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
So um... Was anyone else wondering when they were gonna show us what the heck the Muppets had to do with anything? (I know it wasn't the actual Muppets but still.)

Seems to me like it's Mario Party, that lacks Mario, and is a first person shooter. (Metroid style obviously)

:4kirby:Either Bandana Dee or Magolor. (I started with Kirby's Return to Dreamland so that's why.)
:4duckhunt:The dog. (Can't remember it's name but I know it's something stupid though.)
It had just as much to do about the direct as the Robot Chicken skits last year.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

:4mario:- Rosalina
:4wario:- Ashley
:4link:- Midna
:4samus:- Samus
:4kirby:- Meta Knight
:4pikachu:- Lucario
:4falcon:- Captain Falcon
:4marth:- Lucina
:4sonic:- Blaze the Cat
:4megaman:- Proto Man
:4ryu:- Makoto

Spoiler for series I don't really have a developed opinion on:
:4dk:- Dixie Kong
:4yoshi:- Yoshi
:4ness:- Lucas
:4pit:- Phosphora
:4littlemac:- Little Mac
:4villagerf:- Isabelle
:4shulk:- Shulk
:4pacman:- Pac-Man
:4wiifit:- the Balance Board (lol)
:4olimar:- Olimar
:4duckhunt:- Dog
:4rob:- ROB
:4gaw:- Mr. Game and Watch
:4mii::4miif:- Mii
Funny how almost all of my actual favorite characters are playable.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

This seems like a somewhat sequel to Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS. I'm calling Sylux on this one.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So I thought of something interesting. Ryu was added, even though Street Fighter V is coming to PS4. So, Snake can still be added to Smash 4, even MGS V is coming out on the competition. Unless Nintendo and Capcom have some secret project in the works

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So I thought of something interesting. Ryu was added, even though Street Fighter V is coming to PS4. So, Snake can still be added to Smash 4, even MGS V is coming out on the competition. Unless Nintendo and Capcom have some secret project in the works
No.

Stop thinking third parties have to advertise something.

This is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone has been arguing Snake CAN'T happen.

The point has been said that it is fairly likely he WON'T, because his popularity was still clear in the time of main development yet Kojima & Konami weren't so much as approached for him to be in the game and many doubt that Konami being in a more disputable state as a company especially in relationship with Kojima truly can't be seen as being positive for Snake's odds but could not affect them at all.

We went over this yesterday and it got fairly heated. So let's stop it here.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Wario
:4mario: King Boo
:4wario: Wario
:4dk: Dixie
:4link: Ganondorf
:4pikachu: Chandelure
:4fox: Falco
:4kirby: Bandana Dee
:4littlemac: Little Mac
:4marth: Lucina
:4ness: Ness
:4pit: Palutena
:4samus: Samus
:4villager: Tom Nook
:4sonic: Sonic
:4megaman: Mega Man
:4pacman: Pac Man
:4ryu: Juri

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

:4sonic:The Blue Blur himself
:4mario:Rosalina
:4megaman:Mega Man
:4pacman:Pac-Man
:4yoshi:Yoshi
:4villager:Resetti
:4pit:Tough one....I'll go with the generic answer and say Hades.
:4fox:Falco

Burruni

Smash Hero
funny how nearly none of mine are as in yhere are only 3.

I guess that because i tend to like supporting characters over main characters.

Now we have relevancy tier lists? Oh joy.
Oni, don't feed him.
I just put out one that looks somewhat believable so we could move on past it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why do you say that? We got three characters in one day. This is a stupid argument. Just because games aren't coming out for many franchises in the near future suddenly means they won't add any of them? If the ballot support is enough they'll make them, its simple. If they'll make money, they'll make them.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Feed me or the other guy?
I'm not going to rank the franchises by relevance because that is an argument waiting to happen and its too easy.
ZM.
You know I wouldn't be promoting stopping a simple little side-chat about some favorite characters if nobody's taking it to say "My character is better/more likely than yours."

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
ZM.
You know I wouldn't be promoting stopping a simple little side-chat about some favorite characters if nobody's taking it to say "My character is better/more likely than yours."
Oh, well, I was thinking maybe it came off as me complaining about the roster.
Very subconscious about coming off as that guy who complains in fears someone will get sick of me and strike back.
Resume!
In other news, do you have a moment to talk about our Twilight Princess and Savior, Midna?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom