• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Why? Because it was a spinoff game that decided to do its own thing and people aren't keen on it, that suddenly means they're pulling the plug? I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. It's a side game, something the developers wanted to do outside of the main series that has no bearing on what happens in the future, just like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Paper Mario, and the like. If the game fails, it just means that the spinoff idea didn't do well, it doesn't mean that Nintendo won't revisit the franchise (hell, it may not even mean the spinoff won't be revisited), especially when they are considering new mainline Metroids since at least last year. Yeah the game was not what we expected, but saying that it's going to be the nail in the coffin when it's not even meant to be a big part of the series is just silly.
Yeah, people crying "RUINED FOREVER" over this are getting too crazy about it. Besides, maybe this will sell well and revive the mainline series. You never know. :p

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Doubtful given the negative reception it's gotten.
People hate anything unless it caters to them, though. Look at the reception DKCR got and then look at how Wonderful 101 was recieved. :p

Not trying to poke the bears that like W101, but it was still recieved rather mediocrely overall. People love nostalgia, so a new Metroid game using that would probably sell reasonably well.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Federation Trooper > Ridley

You know this is tru*shot*
Somehow I'm thinking that Ridley's going to be involved with the game somehow still, especially since it's a spinoff (which means it's not conforming to the "Ridley is totally dedz" timeline). If he has any sort of major role (like being the main villain) and he's played more as he is in the official manga (talking and everything), then maybe that could change the ballgame on Ridley as a DLC fighter.

Here's to hoping, at least. :p

Somehow I'm thinking that Ridley's going to be involved with the game somehow still, especially since it's a spinoff (which means it's not conforming to the "Ridley is totally dedz" timeline). If he has any sort of major role (like being the main villain) and he's played more as he is in the official manga (talking and everything), then maybe that could change the ballgame on Ridley as a DLC fighter.

Here's to hoping, at least. :p
1. I dont really see Ridley being in it with the less gritty style they are going for.
2. a spin off isnt going to change Sakurai thinking Ridley is impossible as much as I wish it werent true.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
1. I dont really see Ridley being in it with the less gritty style they are going for.
2. a spin off isnt going to change Sakurai thinking Ridley is impossible as much as I wish it werent true.
1. That's what redesigns are for, though. If they put Ridley in, they'd probably redesign the character and/or give him more personality to fit with the less gritty style. They do the same with Bowser all the time.
2. If that spin-off is the most recent game in the franchise with a plot, then maybe Sakurai will reconsider his opinions on the matter. Plus, he still has the whole $$$ thing to consider; even people who don't like Ridley would still buy him, even if they'd only use him as a punching bag. :p

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Metroid Prime Federation Force Trailer

"626 views"

"12,846 dislikes"

Wow. People hate this game so much they're breaking logic to hate it some more.
The biggest issue with this title is that metroid fans have been waiting for over 5 years for something new...and we get a spin-off metroid that, so far, doesn't have Samus anywhere in site....

Nintendo is working on a metroid title for the Wii U more than likely but they may not be quite ready to show it...I won't be surprised if it'll be released around the same time as Zelda U...but unlike Zelda we aren't really getting any info on it whatsoever...

If anything this spin-off is a good sign for the franchise as it shows that Nintendo has enough faith that it'll sell or at least hold fans over until the new Metroid's proper reveal which may be later this year...

Burruni

Smash Hero
1. That's what redesigns are for, though. If they put Ridley in, they'd probably redesign the character and/or give him more personality to fit with the less gritty style. They do the same with Bowser all the time.
2. If that spin-off is the most recent game in the franchise with a plot, then maybe Sakurai will reconsider his opinions on the matter. Plus, he still has the whole $$$ thing to consider; even people who don't like Ridley would still buy him, even if they'd only use him as a punching bag. :p
Him being in a spin-off doesn't put Ridley in any situation that works against what made Sakurai feel Ridley just flat-out worked better as a boss, after saying that him as a fighter would be "nearly impossible" after Brawl short of getting some massive body overhaul that makes him conceivable better as a fighter to Sakurai.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Him being in a spin-off doesn't put Ridley in any situation that works against what made Sakurai feel Ridley just flat-out worked better as a boss, after saying that him as a fighter would be "nearly impossible" after Brawl short of getting some massive body overhaul that makes him conceivable better as a fighter to Sakurai.
Right, and who's to say they wouldn't redesign Ridley into something more in line with the rest of the artstyle if he is included in the game? It'd make no sense, considering what we've seen of the bosses, for an older boss like Ridley to go completely unchanged; it'd clash horribly.

And really, you never know what they could do with him, especially if they do redesign him a fair amount.

quick reminder who you're arguing with. Just saying :p

Ironiocally, a more cutesy game is the most likely place I could see Ridley getting a design Sakurai would deem smash worthy.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Right, and who's to say they wouldn't redesign Ridley into something more in line with the rest of the artstyle if he is included in the game? It'd make no sense, considering what we've seen of the bosses, for an older boss like Ridley to go completely unchanged; it'd clash horribly.

And really, you never know what they could do with him, especially if they do redesign him a fair amount.
As I just said.

The theoretical idea of Ridley being in does NOTHING for his condition that wasn't already present.

UNLESS

This spin-off takes the drastic step to upset even more fans by doing a massive redesign to the most popular and arguably iconic villain for the whole series to shove him into it when he naturally CLASHES with it and Sakurai admires this design so much that he puts it in Smash as DLC.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
As I just said.

The theoretical idea of Ridley being in does NOTHING for his condition that wasn't already present.

UNLESS

This spin-off takes the drastic step to upset even more fans by doing a massive redesign to the most popular and arguably iconic villain for the whole series to shove him into it when he naturally CLASHES with it and Sakurai admires this design so much that he puts it in Smash as DLC.
Again, this is hypothetical; we don't even know if this is actually in the main canon or if it's some kind of alternate continuity. I'm just saying that, IF that happened it might cause Sakurai's opinion to change on the matter.

And again, if they wanted to add him they'd obviously redesign him to fit into the game's visual style. Clashing styles very rarely works. And hell, Ridley even got shoehorned into the ****in' pinball game, there's really nothing lower than that to shove him into. :p

Burruni

Smash Hero
Again, this is hypothetical; we don't even know if this is actually in the main canon or if it's some kind of alternate continuity. I'm just saying that, IF that happened it might cause Sakurai's opinion to change on the matter.

And again, if they wanted to add him they'd obviously redesign him to fit into the game's visual style. Clashing styles very rarely works. And hell, Ridley even got shoehorned into the ****in' pinball game, there's really nothing lower than that to shove him into. :p
I dunno, man.

The Pinball game at least had Samus in it.

Burruni

Smash Hero
We've also only seen a teaser for Federation Force, so maybe she's in the game as an NPC or unlockable character?
No, we've seen gameplay, 2 missions worth, at the Treehouse.
Every character is the exact same, there's no real story capable for an NPC. There's no selection possible for a character customization.

Granted, that's from an early (?) build but I believe it was given a fall release date.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Every character is the exact same, there's no real story capable for an NPC. There's no selection possible for a character customization.

Granted, that's from an early (?) build but I believe it was given a fall release date.
First off, we should never take Nintendo release dates as fact untill they actually release. :p
And from what Wikipedia and IGN are saying, the game is slated for a release in 2016, not this year. That means this is likely an early build of the game, not a final one. The beginning of the trailer even says "Development in Progress", so we haven't seen much of it yet.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

It's 2016, so it's probably a beta build if I were to guess.

Burruni

Smash Hero
First off, we should never take Nintendo release dates as fact untill they actually release. :p
And from what Wikipedia and IGN are saying, the game is slated for a release in 2016, not this year. That means this is likely an early build of the game, not a final one. The beginning of the trailer even says "Development in Progress", so we haven't seen much of it yet.
My bad.
It was Tri-Force that came out of nowhere AND is coming this fall.

So, there is a possibility but off of what we have seen so far, I highly doubt we will see either Samus or Ridley appear in any form.

Moving on.

As much as I'm excited for Paper Jam, I wanted M&L 5 to have Wario & Waluigi as the big pull.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just noticed the Diddy cameo in Skylanders and it made me <3__<3

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh, and watch this to for some laughs and giggles. Or don't laugh at all, and just lol

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The biggest issue with this title is that metroid fans have been waiting for over 5 years for something new...and we get a spin-off metroid that, so far, doesn't have Samus anywhere in site....

Nintendo is working on a metroid title for the Wii U more than likely but they may not be quite ready to show it...I won't be surprised if it'll be released around the same time as Zelda U...but unlike Zelda we aren't really getting any info on it whatsoever...

If anything this spin-off is a good sign for the franchise as it shows that Nintendo has enough faith that it'll sell or at least hold fans over until the new Metroid's proper reveal which may be later this year...
Actually,
I think that's what makes the game better. The Metroid universe should expand and have more in it than just Samus. I will say that it may have been better to use an actual character and follow their adventures. I can see the complaints about the suit designs.
But really, that was one of the best things Nintendo showed. The games shown off were some of the worst I've ever seen.
Zelda multiplayer - I'm sorry, but puzzle solving with friends sounds boring. Also, I don't know why there is an emphasis on costumes. That looks really lame. Its a cool concept turned very boring.
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam - A crossover no one wanted and looks bad. These are two series that shouldn't mix. Paper Mario needs to stay its own thing and Mario and Luigi should just end. Its only gone down hill
Fire Emblem X SMT - Why is this game even being made?
Animal Crossing Board Game - Really wasn't needed and I don't really see the appeal. Might be OK and good for fans of Animal Crossing, but I'll pass otherwise.
The rest was fine. Star Fox and Mario Maker still look great. Mario Tennis looks OK, but its a Mario sports game so its what you'd expect. No Retro game is a let down. It would have definitly lightened up the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom