• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Doing a rundown of my favourite characters in each series in Smash.

Tell me yours if you want~ :3

:4mario: Wario
:4yoshi: Shy Guy
:4wario: Dribble and Spitz
:4dk: K. Rool
:4link: Toon Link
:4pikachu: Snover
:4falcon: Captain Falcon
:4fox: Wolf O'Donnell
:4kirby: Simirror
:4littlemac: Aran Ryan
:4marth: Tiki
:4ness: Porky
:4olimar: Olimar
:4pit: Pit
:4samus: Ridley
:4shulk: Shulk
:4villager: Mabel
:4sonic: Dr Eggman
:4megaman: Roll
:4pacman: Spooky
:4ryu: Sakura
:4mii: Monita
This seems fun.
:4mario: Bowser
:4wario2: Wario
:4dk: King K. Rool
:4link: Groose
:4pikachu: Hawlucha
:4fox: Falco
:4kirby: Kirby
:4littlemac: Soda Popinski
:4ness: The Camera Man
:4pit: Viridi
:4shulk: Riki
:4villager: Isabelle
:4sonic: Knuckles
:4pacman: Clyde
:4ryu: Dan

Pakky

Smash Hero
I like the karate man guy from Rhythm Heaven...

Okay :3

:4yoshi: Yoshi
:4wario: Captain Syrup
:4link: Midna
:4pikachu: Slowbro
:4falcon:Samurai Goro
:4kirby: Dedede
:4littlemac: King Hippo
:4marth: Tharja
:4ness: Kumatora
:4pit: Hades
:4villager: Redd
:4megaman: Metal Man
:4pacman: Pac-man
:4ryu: Chun Li
:4mii: Myself

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Why do you say that? We got three characters in one day. This is a stupid argument. Just because games aren't coming out for many franchises in the near future suddenly means they won't add any of them? If the ballot support is enough they'll make them, its simple. If they'll make money, they'll make them.
That's part of the reason I think Ridley still has a chance of being DLC; he'll make money. Maybe not boatloads of cash on the levels of the IC's, but definitely a lot more than, say, Bayonetta or Krystal (as adamant as those fans are about this, they would draw a lot of "WTF who are these and why are they in Smash?" comments).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's part of the reason I think Ridley still has a chance of being DLC; he'll make money. Maybe not boatloads of cash on the levels of the IC's, but definitely a lot more than, say, Bayonetta or Krystal (as adamant as those fans are about this, they would draw a lot of "WTF who are these and why are they in Smash?" comments).
I think in the case of Ridley, they just don't know how they could make him, and would rather not. So I still can't really see Ridley happening.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

:4mario: -Does :4yoshi: count? If not then :4luigi:
:4yoshi: -:4yoshi:
:4wario:-Ashley
:4dk:-:4diddy:
:4link: -:4link:
:4pikachu: -:215:
:4fox: -:wolf:or:4falco: (I like wolves and falcons so yeah...)
:4kirby: -:4metaknight:
:4littlemac:-Does :4dk: count?
:4marth:-:4feroy:(only because of Smash)
:4ness:-:4lucas:
:4olimar:-:4olimar:
:4pit:-Medusa
:4samus: -:4samus:
:4shulk:-:4shulk:
:4villager:-Mr. Resetti
:4sonic: -mph aka Tails
:4megaman: -:4megaman:X
:4pacman: -:4pacman:
:4ryu: -bewteen...Chun Li, Cammy, or Blanka
:4mii: -Mr. Bean:troll: or Spock \\//,

Burruni

Smash Hero
My first thought was ganon mega evilving pokemon style.

I had no idea how much i needed to see ganon bigger and badder.

Unless we count HW ganon which is pretty cool by itself.

And with how pokemon are shown in smash it would probably be his final smash :troll:
DANG IT! I WAS GONNA POST SOMETHING LIKE THIS! Guess I'm too slow. :sonic:
Well then.

If that's what you people wanna see.

You better get to voting for him, now shouldn't you?

*Evil Cackle*

Last edited:

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Didn't they say they failed in making a fun or interesting moveset for their Ridley "prototype" a while back, and scrapped the idea of including him into Sm4sh, or am I eating rumors?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Didn't they say they failed in making a fun or interesting moveset for their Ridley "prototype" a while back, and scrapped the idea of including him into Sm4sh, or am I eating rumors?
Eating rumors.

The closest thing is what Sakurai said in an interview like a year after Brawl, after being asked about Ridley being a fighter.

"I think that would probably be impossible. (laughs) If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be alright? (laughs again)"

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Eating rumors.

The closest thing is what Sakurai said in an interview like a year after Brawl, after being asked about Ridley being a fighter.

"I think that would probably be impossible. (laughs) If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be alright? (laughs again)"
My bad then, thanks for letting me know about it.

Burruni

Smash Hero
My bad then, thanks for letting me know about it.
For better or worse, depending on your opinion of the character, Sakurai is firmly rooted on the belief that Ridley functions far better as boss for how he as a character exists in Smash based upon his roles in Metroid. We have proof that he felt like this shortly after Brawl where Ridley was planned to not only be 2 boss fights but also an Assist Trophy, and his interview shortly after the WiiU release of Smash 4 basically says his stance has not changed.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eating rumors.

He said it was impossible, but it was possible. Because outright saying a heavily requested character is a bad move.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
What I get out of it is that he's thinking it's possible, but he's worried about ensuring it's representative of the character while being balanced at the same time.

Because a fast, hard-hitting and mobile heavyweight would pretty much SCREAM "I'M THE NEW PRE-NERF DIDDY!", and Ridley is a fast, hard hitting mobile character.

Burruni

Smash Hero
What I get out of it is that he's thinking it's possible, but he's worried about ensuring it's representative of the character while being balanced at the same time.

Because a fast, hard-hitting and mobile heavyweight would pretty much SCREAM "I'M THE NEW PRE-NERF DIDDY!", and Ridley is a fast, hard hitting mobile character.
Back then, he said it'd probably be impossible, but.

And that definitely means the idea is one that was possible.

However, the nail in his coffin is in the very first sentence of Sakurai's point for him as said within a year ago.

“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer."

Then again, I'm a detractor for Ridley, a cynic, yada yada yada.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Back then, he said it'd probably be impossible, but.

And that definitely means the idea is one that was possible.

However, the nail in his coffin is in the very first sentence of Sakurai's point for him as said within a year ago.

“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer."

Then again, I'm a detractor for Ridley, a cynic, yada yada yada.
That likely just means he's constantly changing his opinion on the matter. Yeah, he may think it's impossible a year ago, but maybe he's back to thinking it might just be possible. Hell, maybe he's trying to make it happen right now, but we simply don't know the answer at this point. People said we'd never get DLC, we got Mewtwo. People said we'd only get Mewtwo, we got Lucas, Roy and Ryu. People could say that one of the pre-ballot fighters were the Ice Climbers and you know people would believe it. The truth is we don't know. And until the fat lady sings and they announce that there's no more DLC for Smash and Ridley isn't in that lineup, we won't ever know unless he is confirmed or not.

It's fine to be cynical, but honestly Sakurai is so wish-washy on Ridley that it's hard to take anything he says on the character at face value.

Burruni

Smash Hero
That likely just means he's constantly changing his opinion on the matter. Yeah, he may think it's impossible a year ago, but maybe he's back to thinking it might just be possible. Hell, maybe he's trying to make it happen right now, but we simply don't know the answer at this point. People said we'd never get DLC, we got Mewtwo. People said we'd only get Mewtwo, we got Lucas, Roy and Ryu. People could say that one of the pre-ballot fighters were the Ice Climbers and you know people would believe it. The truth is we don't know. And until the fat lady sings and they announce that there's no more DLC for Smash and Ridley isn't in that lineup, we won't ever know unless he is confirmed or not.

It's fine to be cynical, but honestly Sakurai is so wish-washy on Ridley that it's hard to take anything he says on the character at face value.
Explain to me how it's Wishy-Washy, though.

Post-Brawl Sakurai said that Ridley would be probably impossible as a fighter.

Right after Smash 4, he says that Ridley is impossible to properly be done as a fighter.

That's differently worded versions of the same base opinion by my interpretation.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Can;t wait to get Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

His Final Smash has to be a (non-gory) fatality. Maybe a vertical blast splash line can occur in the victim's place as they disappear and lose a stock.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Explain to me how it's Wishy-Washy, though.

Post-Brawl Sakurai said that Ridley would be probably impossible as a fighter.

Right after Smash 4, he says that Ridley is impossible to properly be done as a fighter.

That's differently worded versions of the same base opinion by my interpretation.
Not really; "probably" is not a certain term. And he's changed his opinion on characters over time, so there's no reason to think that he won't eventually reevaluate his opinion on Ridley once stuff like the Revolution get books out to Nintendo in both English (for NoA) and Japanese (for NoJ). Sakurai's shown himself as a man who can change his mind from outside sources; American players really wanted Little Mac, they got Little Mac. American players who bought the game anyways, but are going out of their way to make a full-on campaign and published book to get his attention on how much people want Ridley are going to be very notable for Sakurai, especially because of the published book part.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not really; "probably" is not a certain term. And he's changed his opinion on characters over time, so there's no reason to think that he won't eventually reevaluate his opinion on Ridley once stuff like the Revolution get books out to Nintendo in both English (for NoA) and Japanese (for NoJ). Sakurai's shown himself as a man who can change his mind from outside sources; American players really wanted Little Mac, they got Little Mac. American players who bought the game anyways, but are going out of their way to make a full-on campaign and published book to get his attention on how much people want Ridley are going to be very notable for Sakurai, especially because of the published book part.
1) "Probably" isn't a certain term. But then... he went from "probably impossible." to "Impossible." which is reaffirmation, not being Wishy-Washy.

2) And... he knew... that Ridley was highly requested, if not the single most requested, and still kept him as a boss because he felt that he as a fighter was impossible while keeping him as Ridley.

I, personally, don't see how rubbing that popularity more aggressively around the internet is going to make him change that "moral" standpoint on the character. But more power to the fans. Even... if the only time that kind of thing has had any impact on Nintendo was :4shulk:Operation Rainfall, and even then Nintendo tried to deny it had any impact on the decision of localization.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
If the ballot shows favor, demand may pressure him to put Ridley in. Because here thankful its not a matter of can't but won't.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Can we just have an honest dialogue and admit that characters with active roles in the game already have a huge roadblock in their way instead of ignoring that because we want our favorite characters to get in the game? People act like being an Assist Trophy or boss or whatever is no big deal and Sakurai will just flip the tables if these characters get a handful of votes. It's not impossible but it's certainly not a negligible barrier for the character's entry into the game, especially ones that Sakurai has already vetoed (Chrom, Ridley, Takamaru).

It's okay to still want the characters and campaign for them, but let's not pretend these characters have the same chance as ones not already in the game actively.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Nobody I know is acting like that. Seems like the opposite actually.
It would be funny though, if Sakurai nonchalantly adds Takamaru or something and it turns out him being an Assist Trophy was never a problem.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Nobody I know is acting like that. Seems like the opposite actually.
It would be funny though, if Sakurai nonchalantly adds Takamaru or something and it turns out him being an Assassit Trophy was never a problem.
Still think he's uber likely for Smash 5. The argument of "He isn't known in the west," kinda gets ruled out when you've made an appearance in Smash Bros.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A character with a pre=determined role becoming playable would defiantly be really something. It would change the established rule of characters with a role in the game not being able to be made DLC.

Pakky

Smash Hero
For those of you who know about the new killer instinct know that sometimes a combo can match the beat of the stage music. Do you all think something like that could be applied to a Rhythm Heaven rep?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If only Sakurai didn't give him the Middle finger when he deconfirmed him, he might have stood a chance.

As much as i'd love to see him in the game, Sakurai just doesn't want to put him in the game because he thinks he's not a big enough character. Kinda funny because I don't remember :4drmario:being relevant in main series Mario titles.

StormC

Smash Hero
A character with a pre=determined role becoming playable would defiantly be really something. It would change the established rule of characters with a role in the game not being able to be made DLC.
I could see it happening if there was a character with unanimous support, like Sonic in Brawl. Otherwise... eh.

Burruni

Smash Hero
If only Sakurai didn't give him the Middle finger when he deconfirmed him, he might have stood a chance.

As much as i'd love to see him in the game, Sakurai just doesn't want to put him in the game because he thinks he's not a big enough character. Kinda funny because I don't remember :4drmario:being relevant in main series Mario titles.
He's getting bigger support with each game and I legitimately think Nintendo's gonna end up doing something more substantial with Waluigi. Helps that he's basically top 3 for Mario newcomers with Captain Toad and Paper Mario.

Also helps that I don't think Sakurai will be the one leading Smash 5 when it comes.

Then again I'm a biased one for Waluigi.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
He's getting bigger support with each game and I legitimately think Nintendo's gonna end up doing something more substantial with Waluigi.
I've always imagined him in a shooter but then Splatoon came out. Is there another genre of game that would lend itself to his "personality"? Well other than sports games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom