• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So... what do you think about the Inkling's chances now that Sakurai added a trophy to the game?
The argument "but Mewtwo had a trophy" doesn't make sense to me, they added an Inkling trophy AS DLC, it wasn't in the normal game.
To me it means that they just don't want to add them, but their game is so popular that they added a trophy, I don't know.
Maybe for Smash 5.

Opinions?
I agree fully.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Would Ray MK Whatever fit as N64, GC or DS?
See
I never got into Custom Robo
So I dunno when it and thus Ray really got popular.
I don't know either, but Custom Robo only has 3 games iirc, all three on those systems. Take that Gabe Newell
Ray and Ray MKII would fit as N64. Ray 01 would fit as GC. Ray MKIII would fit as DS. That being said though, Ray, Ray MKII and Ray 01 would also fit as DS since they were in the DS Custom Robo game.

Also, there were 2 games on the N64, 1 on the GC, 1(2? I think there might be a second one, but I can't remember if the game was canceled or the localization was canceled) on the GBA and 1 on the DS.
I might be a bit late on this, but here's the general breakdown of Ray and his series of Custom Robo:

Ray would fit on the originating on the N64 section. He had 2 N64 games (Classic and V2), 1 GBA game (GX), 1 GCN game (Battle Revolution or just Custom Robo depending on your region) and 1 DS game (Arena). Originally Arena was going to be GX2, but they canned GX2 to make Arena.

As for the Rays, here's an explanation of each of them for anyone curious:

Ray appeared in N64 (he was the mascot), V2, and Arena (gained shades) and also was referenced in Battle Revolution as Ray Legend (gained height). He also was a sticker in Brawl.

Ray Mk II appeared in V2 (was the mascot) and Arena (gained a face-mask). Was a new version of Ray that sacrificed Armor for more Aerial Movement. In Arena, he was a well balanced robo with no glaring issues. Also appeared in Melee as a Trophy alongside Annie and Bayonette.

Ray II Dark appeared in V2 (illegally upgraded version of Mk II) and Arena (gained shades). He's usually one of the fastest robos in the games that he appears in.

X-Ray appeared in GX (co-mascot with Ray Sky) and Arena. Well balanced in GX, he became a glass cannon in Arena.

Ray Sky appeared in GX (co-mascot with X-Ray) and Arena (gained paint jobs in Arena). Sacrificed knockdown resistance for more mobility.

AIRS appeared in GX (upgraded version of Ray Sky) and Arena. REALLY OP due to it being Military Grade (an EXTREME glass cannon in Arena).

Ray 01 appeared in Battle Revolution (was the mascot) and Arena. He was also a sticker in Brawl. Has more armor and power in exchange for some speed, so he's a tank compared to the other Rays.

Ray Legend appeared in Battle Revolution and was a reference to the 1st Ray. REALLY high power and decent aerial mobility in exchange for being frail.

Ray Warrior appeared in Battle Revolution and was an (illegal) upgrade to Ray 01. A monster at tanking and dealing out damage, it only lacked in speed (but is faster than Ray 01)

And Ray Mk III appeared in Arena (was the mascot) and Super Smash Bros Brawl as an Assist Trophy, a Trophy, and a Sticker. Sacrificed some speed and armor in order to have more power. Was also created by Neobrain instead of Lambda Ltd, so that explains the slight variation in design.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I might be a bit late on this, but here's the general breakdown of Ray and his series of Custom Robo:

Ray would fit on the originating on the N64 section. He had 2 N64 games (Classic and V2), 1 GBA game (GX), 1 GCN game (Battle Revolution or just Custom Robo depending on your region) and 1 DS game (Arena). Originally Arena was going to be GX2, but they canned GX2 to make Arena.

As for the Rays, here's an explanation of each of them for anyone curious:

Ray appeared in N64 (he was the mascot), V2, and Arena (gained shades) and also was referenced in Battle Revolution as Ray Legend (gained height). He also was a sticker in Brawl.

Ray Mk II appeared in V2 (was the mascot) and Arena (gained a face-mask). Was a new version of Ray that sacrificed Armor for more Aerial Movement. In Arena, he was a well balanced robo with no glaring issues. Also appeared in Melee as a Trophy alongside Annie and Bayonette.

Ray II Dark appeared in V2 (illegally upgraded version of Mk II) and Arena (gained shades). He's usually one of the fastest robos in the games that he appears in.

X-Ray appeared in GX (co-mascot with Ray Sky) and Arena. Well balanced in GX, he became a glass cannon in Arena.

Ray Sky appeared in GX (co-mascot with X-Ray) and Arena (gained paint jobs in Arena). Sacrificed knockdown resistance for more mobility.

AIRS appeared in GX (upgraded version of Ray Sky) and Arena. REALLY OP due to it being Military Grade (an EXTREME glass cannon in Arena).

Ray 01 appeared in Battle Revolution (was the mascot) and Arena. He was also a sticker in Brawl. Has more armor and power in exchange for some speed, so he's a tank compared to the other Rays.

Ray Legend appeared in Battle Revolution and was a reference to the 1st Ray. REALLY high power and decent aerial mobility in exchange for being frail.

Ray Warrior appeared in Battle Revolution and was an (illegal) upgrade to Ray 01. A monster at tanking and dealing out damage, it only lacked in speed (but is faster than Ray 01)

And Ray Mk III appeared in Arena (was the mascot) and Super Smash Bros Brawl as an Assist Trophy, a Trophy, and a Sticker. Sacrificed some speed and armor in order to have more power. Was also created by Neobrain instead of Lambda Ltd, so that explains the slight variation in design.
Ray, Roy, Ryu. We just need a Rey and a Ryy.

Actually, since Sakurai is a fan of Jo-Jo's bizzare adventure, let's just comprimise at giving Inklings a taunt where they stand atop a roller going WRRRRRYYYYYYYY!!!

Pakky

Smash Hero
The trophy is ripped from the Amiibo. It could have been done any time since 1.0.6 when the amiibo's design was finalized.

The inklings are CERTAINLY not a pre-ballot choice like :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::wolf:.

That doesn't stop them from happening as DeeLC if they hold a strong ground in the ballot (which is a strong likelihood).
I agree. Waiting for them till smash 5 is silly, vote for them now!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The trophy is ripped from the Amiibo. It could have been done any time since 1.0.6 when the amiibo's design was finalized.

The inklings are CERTAINLY not a pre-ballot choice like :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::wolf:.

That doesn't stop them from happening as DeeLC if they hold a strong ground in the ballot (which is a strong likelihood).
yea the ballot but theres one enormous barrier

I think its a pretty safe bet that hes going to get the most votes in ballot and the fact that the ryu and roy leak mentioned 5 emptys under mewtwo so 1 empty if wolfs in

(but doesn't mean no more will be added in future patches though.)

Pakky

Smash Hero
Here's a thought: I think out of all the games on the Wiiu Smash and Slaptoon are the ones that are going to be supported through the Wii U lifecycle.

Splatoon like smash is going to be a recurring title, that much is assured.

Burruni

Smash Hero
yea the ballot but theres one enormous barrier

I think its a pretty safe bet that hes going to get the most votes in ballot and the fact that the ryu and roy leak mentioned 5 emptys under mewtwo so 1 empty if wolfs in

(but doesn't mean no more will be added in future patches though.)
What's more likely? The entire fighter ballot being done for one character to be chosen, or the 1 "Mario" after Wolf being reserved for a 6th pre-ballot DLC fihter.

StormC

Smash Hero
I definitely think the Inklings might have took a hit if they're adding trophies of them as DLC. Still, anything's possible.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
While everyone is preparing for the inevitable trailer tomorrow, I'd just like to announce that you're speaking to the thread owner of the Aqua Support Thread (The Fire Emblem, Not that Kingdom Hearts weakling). :p

Burruni

Smash Hero
While everyone is preparing for the inevitable trailer tomorrow, I'd just like to announce that you're speaking to the thread owner of the Aqua Support Thread (The Fire Emblem, Not that Kingdom Hearts weakling). :p
Azure, one of these days I'm going to track you down and suplex you into an active volcano for dissing one of the two competent protagonists in that entire series.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Azure, one of these days I'm going to track you down and suplex you into an active volcano for dissing one of the two competent protagonists in that entire series.
May I ask who's the second most competent character in the series? :laugh:

But you can't deny that her moveset was a bit on the janky side due to her lack of strength. But excelling in magic is what makes her a great character.

Burruni

Smash Hero
May I ask who's the second most competent character in the series? :laugh:

But you can't deny that her moveset was a bit on the janky side due to her lack of strength. But excelling in magic is what makes her a great character.
Weakness in strength isn't being a weakling if you're a magical god. Nobody's equipping a Zweihander on a Black Mage.

But the other is Riku. Terra COULDN'T TELL XEHANORT WAS A VILLAIN & Ventus basically has to kill himself to do anything in his game, Mickey lets himself get tricked by an AI into being sucked into a computer, and Sora... do we need to say more?

Oh. And Roxas. Who is the third most competent even after "But... who will I eat ice cream with?"

Aqua survived for 10 years in the Land of Darkness by herself. Riku got to mess around with dark power, tame them, and actually complete the Mark of Mastery.

...Both of them actually are the only ones to pass their exams.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So shifting the topic back over to smash. Why do people want Ivysaur and Squirtle back again?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Because they're fan-favorite pokemon in and out of Smash with still unique movesets.

The only said reason not to want them back is "muh slots" or "muh pokemon reps."
Or that they're just irrelevant.

I'm sorry but i don't get they're appeal. nor Pichu's for that manner. I've been trying but I can't grasp it.

But hey people like what they like.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Or that they're just irrelevant.

I'm sorry but i don't get they're appeal. nor Pichu's for that manner. I've been trying but I can't grasp it.

But hey people like what they like.
1: some people (like me) genuinely like the character.
2: some people haven't been able to play Brawl (or Melee in Pichu's case) and want to see what their like.
3: some people (like me) just want to be able to play them again.

Pakky

Smash Hero
1: some people (like me) genuinely like the character.
2: some people haven't been able to play Brawl (or Melee in Pichu's case) and want to see what their like.
3: some people (like me) just want to be able to play them again.
Fair enough but still gack.

StormC

Smash Hero
Anyone else feel like we could see a third Capcom character in 5mash? Sakurai commented that Capcom was easier to work with overall than Sega and Konami.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Anyone else feel like we could see a third Capcom character in 5mash? Sakurai commented that Capcom was easier to work with overall than Sega and Konami.
As I've said before, part of me is hoping that Ryu is the first in a series of DLC Capcom crossovers, followed by Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe and Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy.

Pakky

Smash Hero
As I've said before, part of me is hoping that Ryu is the first in a series of DLC Capcom crossovers, followed by Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe and Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy.
Here, here Capcom's cabinet of characters is wide and varied. Street Fighter alone as a huge cast. With any luck hopefully street fighter can become a regular on Nintendo consoles again.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So who's ready to start campaigning for a sixth Fire Emblem character? Fire Emblem needs six reps, then seven reps, then 8 reps, and then eventually about 20 reps. Who's with me?!:bee:

mark welford

Smash Ace
With the news of Roy and Ryu everyone is happy and celebrating while I'm sitting here downhearted and upset because of no news of Wolf how can you mend a broken heart?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Already have my alarm set for tomorrow. Already asked off work on Tuesday too for "religious reasons". Done it for the past five years for E3 and never once been questioned about it. :4iggy:
Well, I game religiously, so "religious reasons" is applicable here. :chuckle:

PHOENIX WRIGHT TAKES THE CASE.
Phoenix Wright's playstyle would involve gathering evidence to prove his opponents "guilty" and from then on out his attacks do tons of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom