• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wreck using Charizard, so I don't know what you're talking about
Do you mean in Pokemon or Smash?

Because in Smash they're all pretty good and I main Zard.
In Pokemon, base Zard's pretty bad...

D

Deleted member

I'm really surprised that three DLC characters are probably coming all in one day. We might be getting more than I thought we would (six characters).

This is making me secretly hope that Pichu returns. Now I'm going to be disappointed when that doesn't happen.

Still LUCAS AND ROY FTW!!!

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll just repost what I said in a different thread:

I'm starting to think this huge update (3 characters, 3 stages, tons of Mii Fighter outfits) is because of E3. I don't think this will be a common thing. I'm expecting something like...

Fall 2015: Wolf
Spring 2016: Mario 6
E3 2016: 2-3 ballot characters, stages, and other goodies

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wreck using Charizard, so I don't know what you're talking about

Say that again to my level 100 Psytrike Mewtwo. I was able to complete the Black City Battle Tower only using Mewtwo.
I meant that Mewtwo in Smash isn't nearly as powerful as he is in the games. Well, he's leveling up though, albeit slowly... But he still needs to be like, 72 levels higher. And definitely throw in some Defense EVs. Or buff that IV. Or has Sakurai intentionally given us a IV screwed Mewtwo? I wonder...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I meant that Mewtwo in Smash isn't nearly as powerful as he is in the games. Well, he's leveling up though, albeit slowly... But he still needs to be like, 72 levels higher. And definitely throw in some Defense EVs. Or buff that IV. Or has Sakurai intentionally given us a IV screwed Mewtwo? I wonder...
Here is what I think:
:4ganondorf:didn't get a moveset revamp because he already has an established unique playstyle.
:4mewtwo:didn't get a moveset revamp for the same reasons, but they tried to buff them as much they could with only the outdated Melee moveset to go on.
:4drmario:didn't get a moveset revamp because he was added last minute, and he represents Melee Mario
:4lucas:didn't get a moveset revamp because he was already much different than Ness, although it looks like they altered his physics. Maybe he has joined the ranks of Wolf and is now barely not a semi-clone
:4feroy:got a moveset revamp because he didn't have a unique playstyle. Granted he didn't play like Marth in Melee, but he didn't have much separating the two, and with Lucina being close to Marth it would be better for Roy to get some changes.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Anyone find it weird that we're getting Virtua Fighter Mii costumes as DLC despite the series never having a game released on a Nintendo system?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Here is what I think:
:4ganondorf:didn't get a moveset revamp because he already has an established unique playstyle.
:4mewtwo:didn't get a moveset revamp for the same reasons, but they tried to buff them as much they could with only the outdated Melee moveset to go on.
:4drmario:didn't get a moveset revamp because he was added last minute, and he represents Melee Mario
:4lucas:didn't get a moveset revamp because he was already much different than Ness, although it looks like they altered his physics. Maybe he has joined the ranks of Wolf and is now barely not a semi-clone
:4feroy:got a moveset revamp because he didn't have a unique playstyle. Granted he didn't play like Marth in Melee, but he didn't have much separating the two, and with Lucina being close to Marth it would be better for Roy to get some changes.
I wasn't talking about moveset revamps but still, cool story bro.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I'm curious at this point what the results of the character ballot will actually amount to. It looks like Sakurai/the team and Nintendo already had so much up their sleeves, that only a handful of characters really have an actual shot.

Let me explain what I mean:
It seems that voting for veterans doesn't amount to much, we already have 3 back with DLC. Wolf seems inevitable. Snake will happen if and only if they want him to happen, regardless of the votes. Ice Climbers are likely in some stage of development/deconstruction as either a pair or single character. Ivysaur and Squirtle are possible, though as much as I love them, they don't seem too likely. Pichu can happen, but odds are likely against it as well, and Young Link should really only stand a shot as coming back a TL costume.

Inklings seem an inevitability as well, and I'd bet they're looking into/ already developing them, and are completely ignoring those votes.

Other third parties they'll consider were probably on a short list before the ballot even launched. (Rayman and a few others, though I won't speculate those.) Ryu was planned some time ago I'm certain.

There are the handful of fan favorites that are already included in some form that as much as we love them, the votes probably won't help either. (Ridley, Toad, Takamaru, Waluigi, Chrom)

So the few left that the ballots will actually come down to seem to be exclusive company. (My guesses are: Impa, K. Rool, Dixie, Wonder Red, Isaac, Paper Mario, Chorus Kids and maybe Krystal or Bandana Dee)

Also, my theory on, "Well they need to save a few big name fighters for the next game" is that they aren't considering the next game and we shouldn't either. Time between the last few installments was around 6 years. There's likely still going to be DLC in some form or another for these games, (don't forget we do have 2 of them) at least a year after the initial launch date. These games are already so huge, (2 versions, DLC, amiibos, 50+ characters, customizable characters) that they expect us to be satisfied with it for a very loooooong time. Realistically, we shouldn't expect another Smash sequel before 2025. And I'm certain Sakurai won't want to be working on that one. I'm betting he's going to use DLC to cram as much as we ever dreamed into these so that we can call it the "best ever" and he can then ride off into the sunset. It's also possible that he's using DLC as an opportunity to select/groom a successor.

All that being said, I don't think it's ridiculous to expect 4 to 6 (and maybe more) additional characters over the next few years. Though I never would have said this when Mewtwo was announced.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Can we please get some Resident Evil STARS uniforms for the Mii fighters? I mean, when we've got Virtua Fighter and Tekken costumes there's no reason they shouldn't do it.

Or a Wesker costume for Mii Brawlers. :)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
IInklings seem an inevitability as well, and I'd bet they're looking into/ already developing them, and are completely ignoring those votes.
The presence of Inkling Mii costumes and tophies would strongly suggest that the Inklings are not being developed as DLC. While I don't think they're entirely ruled out as ballot possibilities, I very much doubt that they are an "inevitability."

Espio264

Smash Ace
The presence of Inkling Mii costumes and tophies would strongly suggest that the Inklings are not being developed as DLC. While I don't think they're entirely ruled out as ballot possibilities, I very much doubt that they are an "inevitability."
I won't dispute the logic to your statement, but in my defense, you can dress your miis up like Link, Megaman and essentially Samus, Zelda, Mario, Luigi and Captain Falcon already too. And the new Inkling trophy doesn't mean much considering that there were Mewtwo and Lucas trophies at game launch that didn't prove to be their character art/classic mode trophies. I'd also say that though orange team Girl seems to be the face of the marketing for Splatoon, it doesn't mean she has to be the default model they choose for Smash. They could choose a boy, or a green girl, or purple, or whatever. My overall point was that I wouldn't expect a sequel to Smash 4 for a very long time, and everyone at Nintendo won't deny that it's the best idea to get Inklings into this one.

Plus the Inkling Girl trophy is identical to her Splatoon amiibo, and you know Sakurai wants Smash exclusive art so there can be a Smash exclusive figure.

There's no way Sakurai will include Young Link as a Toon Link alt., that's just going to get the main's fans angry. He's likely going to separate them like Dr. Mario.
To me that's better reason for him to have forgotten Young Link completely.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
From what it looks like Roy's jab, forward smash, dash attack, down air, and up tilt are different.
WHERE IS FOOTAGE OF THIS!?

You guys remember the good old times when things used to be shared? Like, important links to important vids like these?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Someone streamed it, I don't know if it's on YouTube.
:facepalm:

Now I miss the good old days where YouTube was the one and only media where everything was linked to.

I now also notice I will probably make for an annoying ass senior if I live to see such days.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree, I think the ballot will probably decide Inkling's fate for this game.
With that in mind, things are looking good for them though.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yes.

Because bad characters in their own games....

:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4charizard:

Clearly mean they'll be bad for smash.

or that strong characters will be good
:4samus::4palutena: (without customs)

also burruni will wreck you for calling jiggly bad :troll: its why I didnt put ganondorf up there
Nah.

Swampy said Jiggs is bad in actual Pokemon. That's hella true.

My Lady P-Jiggles in Smash tho will wriggedy wreck you.

If you said ThunderCougarFalcondorf was bad in Smash, oh then someone's gettin a suplex.

I for one have always said Ballot is what their hope lies in.

I said it when the costumes got made. I'll say it 'bout the trophy.

It clearly means they weren't a pre-ballot choice.

That sure doesn't stop the possibility of them comin this time 'round as DLC. Especially the trophy. I mean, Mewtwo, Lucas... and even K. Rool.

In other news, I'm a bit less salty about Roy with him gettin' the :4ganondorf::4falco::4tlink: differentiation of a semi-clone.

Does anyone have footage for New Roy? Especially his Final Smash. Because his trophy... looks just like :4marth::4lucina: Critical Hit.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4myfriends: already being better than :4marth: is sweet justice, but :4feroy: topping even that would just be amazing.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
HAHAHAHA

I KNEEW IT

Roy got luigified I figured that might happen

oh even though its know reminder

there was 5 emptys under mewtwo

so too a T we know there is atleast 2 more but 1 or more could be added if yet another leak patch gets found.

for those im looking at Wolf and King k rool

(king k rool is likely to win the ballot on smashbros.com)

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
HAHAHAHA

I KNEEW IT

Roy got luigified I figured that might happen

oh even though its know reminder

there was 5 emptys under mewtwo

so too a T we know there is atleast 2 more but 1 or more could be added if yet another leak patch gets found.

for those im looking at Wolf and King k rool

(king k rool is likely to win the ballot on smashbros.com)
I would be alot calmer if the hackers could confirm Wolf now, so I can get some sleep tonight.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
alright I got vids
@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong and @ Burruni Burruni

Ryu has 2 final smashes. If he is close up he does shin shoryouken if far shinhadouken.

Roy does this

it does damage during the windup and to my knowledge doesnt dash.
Still can't see them actually. Video says I need to register myself before seeing them.

D

Deleted member

Anyone find it weird that we're getting Virtua Fighter Mii costumes as DLC despite the series never having a game released on a Nintendo system?
To be fair, Virtua Fighter 2 for the Sega Genesis (Yes that version) did get released on the Wii Virtual Console).

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
this is from originalbloodace, I used to like his videos, I personally dislike ryu, but this...

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2mrCrtWZxfY
even wwwwario commented on this, really?
According to one of his comments he likes being a ****ty person, and doesn't want to change, so no one should even bother with a person like that.
once again im ignored mostly.... at least watch it its really rude to sakurai, he says he hopes he still has arm injuries :ohwell: people said sakurai spent free time doing this, because of less addiction factor? I think he said because of namco, he mainly hates 3rd parties like ubisoft, capcom, and namco. he also said he was going to quit after Nintendo going mobile (which I think most are trash)
anyway JUST DONT BU DLC YOU DISLIKE

(actually im only upset because he said he wanted sakurai to feel worse , but he "apologized"

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think I'm gonna play a lot of Roy in the future after seeing his moveset in action. :4feroy:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So... what do you think about the Inkling's chances now that Sakurai added a trophy to the game?
The argument "but Mewtwo had a trophy" doesn't make sense to me, they added an Inkling trophy AS DLC, it wasn't in the normal game.
To me it means that they just don't want to add them, but their game is so popular that they added a trophy, I don't know.
Maybe for Smash 5.

Opinions?

Burruni

Smash Hero
So... what do you think about the Inkling's chances now that Sakurai added a trophy to the game?
The argument "but Mewtwo had a trophy" doesn't make sense to me, they added an Inkling trophy AS DLC, it wasn't in the normal game.
To me it means that they just don't want to add them, but their game is so popular that they added a trophy, I don't know.
Maybe for Smash 5.

Opinions?
The trophy is ripped from the Amiibo. It could have been done any time since 1.0.6 when the amiibo's design was finalized.

The inklings are CERTAINLY not a pre-ballot choice like :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::wolf:.

That doesn't stop them from happening as DeeLC if they hold a strong ground in the ballot (which is a strong likelihood).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Maybe for Smash 5.
Opinions?
They added it and the costumes because the game is popular and they wanted to promote it. It doesn't mean anything for their chances.
If anything it helps them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom