• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
So I finally got around to redeeming my Club Nintendo codes for free Mewtwo DLC today and he is so much fun to play!! My first match was against Fox (it was random) on Town and City (Omega). The second match was against Dr. Mario (random again) on Melee Yoshi's Island (Omega)... it is like I am back in 2001. I am reminded why Mewtwo was one of my favorite characters in Melee.

I wish we got more playable Pokemon in Smash... :007::002::172::052:
I really wanted Meowth to be playable, but I knew his chances weren't good so I didn't get my hopes up for him. Mabey they'll consider him for Smash 5.

I like to imagine if he was in, his moves would be quick but would lack power just like Sheik. Oh, and his star KO scream should definitely be, "I'm blasting off again!" ^^

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
we can get both geno and a final fantasy character i dont see any problem with this but SMRPG was one of the important thing that happend between square and nintendo history than sports or fortune street
When it comes to Smash main line, here's a flow chart.
1. Are you very popular? Yes, go to 2. No, go to 7.
2. Are you recent? Yes, go to 3. No, go to 7.
3. Are you from an established series? Yes, go to 4. No? Go to 5.
4: Does Sakurai know about you? Yes, go to 6. No? Better hope you get more promotion next time.
5. Is your series critically acclaimed and have a very significant fanbase? Yes, your odds are good! No? Go to 8.
6: Does Sakurai feel that you as a character fits better as a non-playable role? Yes, sorry. No? Take a seat, we'll get to you eventually.
7. Are you an iconic retro character that can be associated with a specific piece of Nintendo hardware? Yes, your chances are pretty good. No? Go to 8.
8: Does Sakurai have a fascination about you being able to embody a specific moveset or gimmick? Yes, you're :popo::icsmelee:,:pit:, or :4wiifit:. No, GOOOD luck trying.

This fits for a hefty chunk of options and there are few that break it... most being done quite late in development.

Edit: And my point bringing up the Mario Sports characters and the Fortune Street ones (part of a series that's been going on for decades, the Wii title was just the first international one btw) is that Nintendo has not made any real push for Geno or any real part of SMRPG in the past even when Square Enix was involved. THAT in my opinion is a dark cloud over his odds.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I suppose before i sleep i will present a discussion that has the slightest possibility of being riveting so that when i wake up i have something to read.

Does anyone expect an "oddball" choice to be possible and if so who?
i dont necesaatily mean we will get a new wii fit trainer but someone a bit out of left field.

As for my personal opinion i agree the ballot is a suggestion box so i see it as fairly plausible a very low popularity character can be added. Yes DLC has to sell itselfbecause it isnt bundled with the base game but i do feel some lower characters may get their time to shine.

However, with the ever so slight exceptions of Level 5's layton and jibanyan i dont see any 3rd party lesser characters getting in. RIP avi.
As for who it might be. . . To be quite honest im tired and ill let you fine folks think up ideas for me.
i spy dusty so i wonder if style savvy will enter this little discussion of mine.

Have fun
Something with Sakurai bias!

:happysheep:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If DLC comes out in packages instead of individual characters, the odds of random characters getting in rises a little. It'd just have to have big ballot characters or stages packaged in as a safety net to make sense from a business perspective.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If DLC comes out in packages instead of individual characters, the odds of random characters getting in rises a little. It'd just have to have big ballot characters or stages packaged in as a safety net to make sense from a business perspective.
I suppose I can see them doing something like what they did for Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors.

What if we where to get a season pass or something like that for Smash Bros? Like buy an upcoming bundle and get some additional palette swaps/alternate costumes for free?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
To be fair, there IS a bundle present with Mewtwo and the Mii outfits from DLC batch 1 that's... like 8 or 9 dollars. I don't see why subsequent characters wouldn't be done similarly.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I still think Viridi would be a neat character.

I'll rest content with a sequel to Uprising, of course~

Incidentally, realtalk:

Should Sakurai focus on Smash DLC for now, or should he do what he deems necessary and then move onto other projects?

Discuss.

I'll offer my opinion in a moment, I'm curious as to what y'all have to say first.

before i say anything. We dont know what retro is working on.
a kid icarus wii u game was listed on amazon. connect the dots.
Blind hope that isnt going to happen

I still think Viridi would be a neat character.

I'll rest content with a sequel to Uprising, of course~

Incidentally, realtalk:

Should Sakurai focus on Smash DLC for now, or should he do what he deems necessary and then move onto other projects?

Discuss.

I'll offer my opinion in a moment, I'm curious as to what y'all have to say first.
Honestly, as much as I love the guy's work. he needs a break. He might literally work himself to death. I think he should be taking a supervising/advisory position at best once the ballot characters are chosen because the fans have done all the design heavy lifting.

Then after fixing his body its off to whatever project he wants to wow us as usual. I dont think DLC requires nearly as much of sakurai's influence as the base game that is for sure.

(bias'd by KIU being my favorite game of all time of course. . .)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think he should take a good break first before he starts on his next project. I think he went straight to Smash 4 after finishing Uprising didn't he? And then soon after about two years worth of DLC..... :T

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Sakurai needs to basically just withdraw from main work and do passion projects whenever he wants to.

If that's :4kirby:, Great.

If that's :4pit:, Great.

If that's, Takamaru, Great.

Let the man just do what he wants at his pace at this point.

After Smash 4 DLC gives me Bandana Dee, Inklings, and most likely King K.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
He is not really needed for Smash DLC (he is not going to be the one who choses what will become DLC because that without any doubt will depend on how much that content is requested by players), so, better move on to next projects. It can also potentially keep him from f***ing everything up.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. The man needs a vacation, and goodness knows there are plenty of people who are more than capable of working on Smash DLC.

I'm optimistic about what he'll do in future, of course. He hasn't disappointed me yet, I'm confident it'll be something interesting~

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai seems fine with doing DLC. He's working on a smaller team with less strenuous deadlines, so I imagine it's much less stressful and him saying he wants to do as much DLC as possible makes me feel like a lighter load of work like that will be fine for him.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
this is just video game character so you shouldnt turn this to a big thing even if you said "fanbase"
All I was looking to say is that you don't have to create a complete dismissal of someone's character in order to say you don't want them, considering it would be rather hypocritical for it to come from a Geno fan who can't be just as humble about it...
and waddle dee is just like goomba i didnt found something special about him i played some of kirby games but i never played the game where does a bandana dee appear all what i see in my eyes when i see bandana dee is that he is the same character but just with a spear and wears a bandana
...But then you keep talking.

Bandana Waddle Dee has appeared in all of Kirby Super Star, its remake, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby's Return to Dream Land (ffs, he's on the BOXART), Kirby Triple Deluxe, and Kirby & The Rainbow Curse. He was one of the main playable characters in both Return to Dream Land and Rainbow Curse, and appeared in just about every level as a helper in Triple Deluxe. That's 37.5% of all main-series Kirby games, a bulk of which have come from more recent titles. In a series as big as Kirby, that's a significant number of appearances compared to, say, the 1.2% Geno has in any Mario game.

Bandana has made frequent use of his spear, allowing him to keep up with the likes of Kirby and Meta Knight in terms of combat, something no Goomba or any other common mook can boast. His grounded build would make him an excellent contrast to the Kirby characters, and the "spike" at the tip of his long-reaching spear would make him ideal for a play-style yet to be seen in Smash Bros.: Aerial-character slaying. Not an amazing fighter overall, but better on the ground than most aerial characters are and therefore able to beat them by keeping them out of their element. Unique in terms of gameplay (and not just aesthetics the way I see people misuse the word for) and adds to the roster's overall balance. He's no K. Rool or Isaac, but he at least has his merits.

I'm not saying that you're expected to know much about a character you don't care for in the first place, but considering how you're literally speaking as if Bandana Waddle Dee is some sort of fan character, that really just goes to show that "he's like a goomba" comes out of your own ignorance and inability to do a google search.
i prefer someone like doroach because he is very interesting character and i loved kirby squeak squad but i dont hate bandana dee i just dont find him very interesting
And if you'd prefer Daroach? Fine. All the more power to you. You'd prefer a teleport-fighter with bombs over an anti-aerial character polarizer. All I was originally saying is, especially when you don't know anything about the character in the first place, that you don't speak of them as if they're an absolutely terrible idea. That's not too much of a "big" thing to ask for, right?

Also unrelated to the topic but could you please use punctuation? It hurts to read a paragraph-long run-on sentence...

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Sakurai seems fine with doing DLC. He's working on a smaller team with less strenuous deadlines, so I imagine it's much less stressful and him saying he wants to do as much DLC as possible makes me feel like a lighter load of work like that will be fine for him.
This is true.

Whatever else you may think of him as an individual and as a creator, you've gotta admire his work ethic.

And spears are cool.

That should go without saying.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Also, we have to remember Sakurai is no longer pressured by deadlines; meaning he can work on content he may have scrapped in the main game's development and see if he can make it function. This technically means Ridley has a chance, since if Sakurai can manage to make him function as he wants, then it's a no-brainer that he'd put Ridley in as a fighter; he knows of Ridley's popularity, and would capitalize on it. And since Sakurai's already tried, he knows what works and what doesn't, so he can try improving a playable Ridley based on what works.

Seriously, it cannot be a coincidence that Ridley is both A) the most like a selectable fighter of all the bosses and B) The glitchiest boss in the entire game. That makes me think that Ridley was patched into Pyrosphere, not made specifically with it in mind.

So that makes Ridley one of the more likely characters to get a promotion this game, if only because he's pretty close to a fighter even in his boss role.
As for having two Ridleys on the same stage....it'd really be no different than what's on 75m; the Pyrosphere Ridley is directly based on his Other M clone, and there's a completely different design to choose for a potential playable Ridley that would make the two Ridleys easy to distinguish.

And Sakurai can change his mind on characters, even if he's said before they have no chance; Villager, for an example, but there's probably others I'm forgetting. And as for size....twice Samus' height is not all that impressive in Metroid canon. :p He's about the height of a T.rex from head to foot (which is 12 feet), and Bowser's been that same size at smallest. Bowser can be up to 20 feet tall if we use Super Mario 64 as a basis; that would tower over Ridley even at his canonical size of 12 feet.

To put that in perspective; a full grown Apatosaurus is 15 feet tall. Bowser'd be twice that. :p Ridley's the middleground of size of Nintendo's big-name villains; Bowser is anywhere between 12-20 feet, Ganon is 7 feet, 6 inches, Ridley is 12 feet. Ridley is the smallest of the Space Pirate generals, as well; Ridley is 12 feet, Kraid is well over that (20 feet at least), as is Phantoon (who's pretty much Godzilla-sized), and Mother Brain's cyborg body as well (17-18-ish feet).

Any arguments to Ridley's size in canon making him unsuitable for Smash is just beating a long-dead horse at this point. :p

Also, we have to remember Sakurai is no longer pressured by deadlines; meaning he can work on content he may have scrapped in the main game's development and see if he can make it function. This technically means Ridley has a chance, since if Sakurai can manage to make him function as he wants, then it's a no-brainer that he'd put Ridley in as a fighter; he knows of Ridley's popularity, and would capitalize on it. And since Sakurai's already tried, he knows what works and what doesn't, so he can try improving a playable Ridley based on what works.

Seriously, it cannot be a coincidence that Ridley is both A) the most like a selectable fighter of all the bosses and B) The glitchiest boss in the entire game. That makes me think that Ridley was patched into Pyrosphere, not made specifically with it in mind.

So that makes Ridley one of the more likely characters to get a promotion this game, if only because he's pretty close to a fighter even in his boss role.
As for having two Ridleys on the same stage....it'd really be no different than what's on 75m; the Pyrosphere Ridley is directly based on his Other M clone, and there's a completely different design to choose for a potential playable Ridley that would make the two Ridleys easy to distinguish.

And Sakurai can change his mind on characters, even if he's said before they have no chance; Villager, for an example, but there's probably others I'm forgetting. And as for size....twice Samus' height is not all that impressive in Metroid canon. :p He's about the height of a T.rex from head to foot (which is 12 feet), and Bowser's been that same size at smallest. Bowser can be up to 20 feet tall if we use Super Mario 64 as a basis; that would tower over Ridley even at his canonical size of 12 feet.

To put that in perspective; a full grown Apatosaurus is 15 feet tall. Bowser'd be twice that. :p Ridley's the middleground of size of Nintendo's big-name villains; Bowser is anywhere between 12-20 feet, Ganon is 7 feet, 6 inches, Ridley is 12 feet. Ridley is the smallest of the Space Pirate generals, as well; Ridley is 12 feet, Kraid is well over that (20 feet at least), as is Phantoon (who's pretty much Godzilla-sized), and Mother Brain's cyborg body as well (17-18-ish feet).

Any arguments to Ridley's size in canon making him unsuitable for Smash is just beating a long-dead horse at this point. :p
except sakurai SPECIFICALLY said that Ridley cannot work. not that he couldn't get it to work. but that it couldn't (or shouldn't) be done.

it isnt happening for this game. ever.

it isnt beating a dead horse when "word of god" says it is true.

Let. It. Go.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
except sakurai SPECIFICALLY said that Ridley cannot work. not that he couldn't get it to work. but that it couldn't (or shouldn't) be done.

it isnt happening for this game. ever.

it isnt beating a dead horse when "word of god" says it is true.

Let. It. Go.
Sakurai's reasoning is really, really dumb, gotta say.

"I wouldn't be able to do Ridley justice to his character if we made him playable. Instead, he's Ridley, who becomes immediately submissive to anyone that pokes him a few times, including pink puffballs and his mortal enemy herself! We couldn't possibly risk making him only just a little bigger than Bowser. Being big is Ridley's thing, not Kraid's."

"While we're at it, I'm going to keep Ganondorf without swords, tridents or magic, and remove Wario's only reference to the Wario Land series in favor of more WarioWare randomness. Remember, we have to do the characters' origins justice."

I wish I was exaggerating.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Unfortunately, our dear Sakurai (who also added random tripping before anyone will say something) thinks that piece of s**t on Pyrosphere is the best and accurate way to represent him. It has nothing to do with him being scrapped, not being possible to make, etc. This is only Sakurai's fault and depends only on his opinion.
So, let it go until next game or something.

Burruni

Smash Hero

"I wouldn't be able to do Ridley justice to his character if we made him playable. Instead, he's Ridley, who becomes immediately submissive to anyone that pokes him a few times, including pink puffballs and his mortal enemy herself!"

"While we're at it, I'm going to keep Ganondorf without swords, tridents or magic, and remove Wario's only reference to the Wario Land series in favor of more WarioWare randomness. Remember, we have to do the characters' origins justice."
Sakurai's a messed up man.

But he's the man who's holding the helm of this wild ride.

NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WANNA GO TO RIDONALDS, SAKURAI IS DRIVING US TO BURGER PIT!

Edit: I PERSONALLY prefer Ridley as a boss for various reasons, but when you look at it, Sakurai has done incredibly well for the vast majority of the roster with only a handful of "All-Stars" that haven't been included yet and great representation for 85+% of the 50+ roster in a continously unique fighting game experience.

Last edited:

"I wouldn't be able to do Ridley justice to his character if we made him playable. Instead, he's Ridley, who becomes immediately submissive to anyone that pokes him a few times, including pink puffballs and his mortal enemy herself! We couldn't possibly risk making him only just a little bigger than Bowser. Being big is Ridley's thing, not Kraid's."

you dont even need to leave metroid to break original character
":4zss: is totally is stronger and faster then power suit samus right guys? plus she has a whip right? she definitely weasnt essentially helpless!"

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Also, being big is many other Prime bosses' thing:
I mean...how is it still ridicolously important to Ridley when many Metroid Prime bosses aren't even comparable to him (seriously, Quadraxis and Chykka are 20x bigger than Samus)? Sizes shown on the image are comparison between models' sizes, not just speculation and stuff. None of them are actually posed, but its still obvious that Ridley is nowhere near guys like Quadraxis. Also, Meta Ridley shown here is one of the biggest Ridleys since he is 3x bigger than Samus while he usually is just 2x bigger than Samus. Which means he is barely taller than a common Space Pirate.
But none of this matters because Sakurai said so.

P.S. i love Quadraxis' little "arms on the image. Its like "chill bro" or something. And Thardus looks ridicolous.
you dont even need to leave metroid to break original character
":4zss: is totally is stronger and faster then power suit samus right guys? plus she has a whip right? she definitely weasnt essentially helpless!"
Made even worse by the fact that she was weaker in Brawl and was buffed for no reasons. Why buff high tier characters? And why make a very fast and mobile character as strong as a slow and sluggish, but strong character? And why make what supposed to be stronger version of the character objectively worse when compared to what is supposed to be weaker one? Power Suit Samus was the one who needed buffs, but nope, get nerfed. Oh, Greninja? Get over here!

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm positive we could make Sakurai reconsider the matter if we made huge vocal support for Ridley even if he's a boss; by just going "lol k maybe next time :(" when he doesn't make it, we'll never get a next time. Ridley's fanbase needs to be loud if we want to be noticed by Nintendo. Skulking about our loss does nothing for us, but if we did something to gain Nintendo's direct attention, like voting for Ridley in the ballot or (as the Revolution is already doing) making things to show how dedicated and desired Ridley is as a playable character and sending it straight to the big N.

I mean, I know it's a pipe dream to have him in; but by doing nothing big, we're just feeding the problem; we need to give Sakurai and his team a reason to reconsider on Ridley, a reason to try and make him a fighter; moping about our state is a vicious cycle.

Showing our support in any way possible is how we get Ridley into Smash, not constantly hoping and not acting. Funnily, a quote from Wolf actually sums up my point pretty well;
"Don't hesitate! When the time comes, just act!"

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm positive we could make Sakurai reconsider the matter if we made huge vocal support for Ridley even if he's a boss; by just going "lol k maybe next time :(" when he doesn't make it, we'll never get a next time. Ridley's fanbase needs to be loud if we want to be noticed by Nintendo. Skulking about our loss does nothing for us, but if we did something to gain Nintendo's direct attention, like voting for Ridley in the ballot or (as the Revolution is already doing) making things to show how dedicated and desired Ridley is as a playable character and sending it straight to the big N.

I mean, I know it's a pipe dream to have him in; but by doing nothing big, we're just feeding the problem; we need to give Sakurai and his team a reason to reconsider on Ridley, a reason to try and make him a fighter; moping about our state is a vicious cycle.

Showing our support in any way possible is how we get Ridley into Smash, not constantly hoping and not acting. Funnily, a quote from Wolf actually sums up my point pretty well;
True. If we will just give up, it will show that we are fine with that abomination on Pyrosphere (which also ruins what could have been a big Metroid stage without ridicolous stage hazards that can badly mess up the match). So, better show that we still want him and don't think what he said is a good excuse.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Dude.

I respect your opinion.

But Sakurai KNOWS HOW POPULAR RIDLEY IS. He was planned to be 2 of the 10 boss fights in Brawl AND an assist trophy back then, and the demand has certainly not gone more quiet since then.

Why do you think Ridley is one of THREE characters to get an official reason why they are as they are? (The other two being Chrom and Takamaru) Edit: FOUR, for some reason I excluded Icies.

RIDLEY'S FANBASE HAS BEEN LOUD. IT'S BEEN BIG. YOU HAVE GOTTEN ATTENTION.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
And since Sakurai's already tried, he knows what works and what doesn't, so he can try improving a playable Ridley based on what works.
Excuse Me?

Looking at the Stage Hazard alone tells me he didn't give it a second thought the moment he thought Stage Bosses were a good idea

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Dude.

I respect your opinion.

But Sakurai KNOWS HOW POPULAR RIDLEY IS.

Why do you think Ridley is one of THREE characters to get an official reason why they are as they are? (The other two being Chrom and Takamaru)

But if we will just stay silent after his statement, it will get worse ("Oh, they are actually fine with that thing guys cooked up on the lunch break. Well, i guess we can leave him like that and everyone will be happy!").
He knows that he is popular, but he doesn't understands that we don't care if Ridley is suddenly smaller than usual or that he isn't 100% accurate to the source (something that still isn't true even when that abomination exists).

Last edited:

the problem is one or two people cant really do taht (unless you count one or two people botting the ballot. . .)

• This board has ridley discussion quarantined
  • reddit hates ridley and doesnt talk about speculation anyway unless it involves indies
  • gamefaqs doesnt care for ridley either from what ive seen (or logic for that matter. . .)
  • idk about neogaf but i havent heard the greatest of things (wonder red support is pretty great though
Its why im a firm believer that Ridley is the new Krystal or geno. a top contender ("big 3") to someone with a drastically smaller fanbase next game. The bandwagoners have already jumped off and in many groups its okay to be a ridley hater similar how its ok to hate geno.

besides. he knows that ridley is popular. he even said it and saved the ridley boss reveal for it.

Dude.

I respect your opinion.

But Sakurai KNOWS HOW POPULAR RIDLEY IS.

Why do you think Ridley is one of THREE characters to get an official reason why they are as they are? (The other two being Chrom and Takamaru)

dont forget ice climbers

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A "Brawl" and "Melee" pack would sell insanely well. Throwing in a random character would be cool with these too, especially if they were characters that never made it past the planning stages like Sukapon in Melee.

95% of Smash fans-"Who the hell's Sukapon?"
95% of Smash fans who will willingly pay for DLC- "Who cares? It's a new fighter with Roy, the Ice Climbers, new ALTs for the Melee cast, and 5 Melee stages."

Seriously though, if someone like Mach Rider or Toon Zelda was thrown in the proverbial goodie bag of a DLC pack, would anyone really complain?

A "Brawl" and "Melee" pack would sell insanely well. Throwing in a random character would be cool with these too, especially if they were characters that never made it past the planning stages like Sukapon in Melee.

95% of Smash fans-"Who the hell's Sukapon?"
95% of Smash fans who will willingly pay for DLC- "Who cares? It's a new fighter with Roy, the Ice Climbers, new ALTs for the Melee cast, and 5 Melee stages."

Seriously though, if someone like Mach Rider or Toon Zelda was thrown in the proverbial goodie bag of a DLC pack, would anyone really complain?
sukapon was planned as an item not a fighter
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/
yeah im just favoriting this post. . . ive used it enough times.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Excuse Me?

Looking at the Stage Hazard alone tells me he didn't give it a second thought the moment he thought Stage Bosses were a good idea
No, I meant as a playable fighter. :p I'm not very happy about the Pyrosphere boss, either; but we need to make it clear we don't like the role he's in in any way possible; that's what gets attention from the devs.

• This board has ridley discussion quarantined
The only reason discussion of Ridley is quarantined is because...well, we all know that Ridley discussion would just attract people trying to stir us up for the lolz with "lol he's 2 big" or somesuch.

We all probably wouldn't even be this scorned if A) Ridley wasn't one of the worst goddamn stage hazards I've ever seen in my goddamn life and B) If Sakurai had just flat-out said he was a stage boss. Instead, the man trolled us along with false hope, only to be betrayed by that trust and hope in the coldest manner possible. I don't care who you support, but if you were given false hope they were playable and had that hope crushed into pieces because of an arbitrary reasoning, I think you'd be pretty pissed off, too.
The constant reminder of Sakurai's bull reasoning from the Internet does nothing but cause more pain to a group who's already been the go-to laughing stock of Smash since Brawl.

It's a kick in the balls to a group who's been being kicked there since 2008. :/

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Obviously our Next fighter should be Pom from Pom gets Wi-fi

Burruni

Smash Hero
No, I meant as a playable fighter. :p I'm not very happy about the Pyrosphere boss, either; but we need to make it clear we don't like the role he's in in any way possible; that's what gets attention from the devs.

The only reason discussion of Ridley is quarantined is because...well, we all know that Ridley discussion would just attract people trying to stir us up for the lolz with "lol he's 2 big" or somesuch.

We all probably wouldn't even be this scorned if A) Ridley wasn't one of the worst goddamn stage hazards I've ever seen in my goddamn life and B) If Sakurai had just flat-out said he was a stage boss. Instead, the man trolled us along with false hope, only to be betrayed by that trust and hope in the coldest manner possible. I don't care who you support, but if you were given false hope they were playable and had that hope crushed into pieces because of an arbitrary reasoning, I think you'd be pretty pissed off, too.
The constant reminder of Sakurai's bull reasoning from the Internet does nothing but cause more pain to a group who's already been the go-to laughing stock of Smash since Brawl.

It's a kick in the balls to a group who's been being kicked there since 2008. :/
"If Sakurai had just flat-out said he was a stage boss. Instead, the man trolled us along with false hope, only to be betrayed by that trust and hope in the coldest manner possible."

To be fair, Sakurai probably thought this was clear enough that he was a boss.

If this appeared in ANY other section of the direct, I'd be able to give you the benefit of the doubt.

BUT IT WAS DURING DISCUSSION OF BOSSES, SOMETHING RIDLEY HAD ALREADY BEEN IN SMASH.

You can be upset about how your hopes were high and then they got cut down. You have right to be.

But don't blame the makers of the game for the expectations you raised yourself in face of the evidence given.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
All I was looking to say is that you don't have to create a complete dismissal of someone's character in order to say you don't want them, considering it would be rather hypocritical for it to come from a Geno fan who can't be just as humble about it...

...But then you keep talking.

Bandana Waddle Dee has appeared in all of Kirby Super Star, its remake, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby's Return to Dream Land (ffs, he's on the BOXART), Kirby Triple Deluxe, and Kirby & The Rainbow Curse. He was one of the main playable characters in both Return to Dream Land and Rainbow Curse, and appeared in just about every level as a helper in Triple Deluxe. That's 37.5% of all main-series Kirby games, a bulk of which have come from more recent titles. In a series as big as Kirby, that's a significant number of appearances compared to, say, the 1.2% Geno has in any Mario game.

Bandana has made frequent use of his spear, allowing him to keep up with the likes of Kirby and Meta Knight in terms of combat, something no Goomba or any other common mook can boast. His grounded build would make him an excellent contrast to the Kirby characters, and the "spike" at the tip of his long-reaching spear would make him ideal for a play-style yet to be seen in Smash Bros.: Aerial-character slaying. Not an amazing fighter overall, but better on the ground than most aerial characters are and therefore able to beat them by keeping them out of their element. Unique in terms of gameplay (and not just aesthetics the way I see people misuse the word for) and adds to the roster's overall balance. He's no K. Rool or Isaac, but he at least has his merits.

I'm not saying that you're expected to know much about a character you don't care for in the first place, but considering how you're literally speaking as if Bandana Waddle Dee is some sort of fan character, that really just goes to show that "he's like a goomba" comes out of your own ignorance and inability to do a google search.

And if you'd prefer Daroach? Fine. All the more power to you. You'd prefer a teleport-fighter with bombs over an anti-aerial character polarizer. All I was originally saying is, especially when you don't know anything about the character in the first place, that you don't speak of them as if they're an absolutely terrible idea. That's not too much of a "big" thing to ask for, right?

Also unrelated to the topic but could you please use punctuation? It hurts to read a paragraph-long run-on sentence...
I always assumed the Waddle Dee helper from Kirby 64 was Bandanna Dee without the Bandanna.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
"If Sakurai had just flat-out said he was a stage boss. Instead, the man trolled us along with false hope, only to be betrayed by that trust and hope in the coldest manner possible."

To be fair, Sakurai probably thought this was clear enough that he was a boss.

If this appeared in ANY other section of the direct, I'd be able to give you the benefit of the doubt.

BUT IT WAS DURING DISCUSSION OF BOSSES, SOMETHING RIDLEY HAD ALREADY BEEN IN SMASH.

You can be upset about how your hopes were high and then they got cut down. You have right to be.

But don't blame the makers of the game for the expectations you raised yourself in face of the evidence given.
Still think that a Pic of the Day reveal of him would have worked a lot better than this. There was no reason not to show him when every other thing like this was shown. His model couldn't have been worked on for more than a week when random modders can port models from random games to Brawl and do pretty much what they did with Ridley (re-rig the model and add few minor things like Final Smash eyes), minus quality reduction. And wouldn't it have been more "hype-worthy" (not saying that it ever was such)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom