• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Takamaru as the surprise retro character in 5mash seems inevitable if Sakurai's main consideration for the character was lack of familiarity in the west. There aren't really a ton of other options left. Of course, I doubt Sakurai will even work on 5mash.
I doubt it too.
I'd say the main contenders for the next retro character is Takamaru and Excitebiker.

StormC

Smash Hero
I personally would rather see DLC used for fan favorites and cut veterans than trying to keep up to date with Nintendo, but eh.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I personally would rather see DLC used for fan favorites and cut veterans than trying to keep up to date with Nintendo, but eh.
You can be recent/new AND popular =/
At least it's a game that's ripe with innovation that's some of the most creativity and genuine fun we've seen blossom in an IP from Nintendo in a while.
I've seen support threads for npcs in StreetPlaza games

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Reminds me of a recent leak saying Wolf isn't planned but preballot is for the forbidden 7 instead of veterans. Despite how Young Link is the only cut Melee character that wasn't in there. Then again, Inklings are popular for a reason.

StormC

Smash Hero
You can be recent/new AND popular =/
At least it's a game that's ripe with innovation that's some of the most creativity and genuine fun we've seen blossom in an IP from Nintendo in a while.
I've seen support threads for npcs in StreetPlaza games
Yeah, I know. But I would rather see the new content after 4 be saved for 5mash, instead of making years of DLC that acts as a glorified roster update.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Reminds me of a recent leak saying Wolf isn't planned but preballot is for the forbidden 7 instead of veterans. Despite how Young Link is the only cut Melee character that wasn't in there. Then again, Inklings are popular for a reason.
:pichumelee:

Yeah, I know. But I would rather see the new content after 4 be saved for 5mash, instead of making years of DLC that acts as a glorified roster update.
As I've said, I'm seeing 3-5 ballot. Across 2016. That's it. Inklings are a push but there are few recent things that could make that kind of push.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm conflicted. On one hand, Kamen Rider Ghost sounds like it'll be epic and Drive Tridoron was officially revealed (nerd talk, I know). On the other hand, Splatoon officially has yogurt. It's late anyways, so I'll sleep on it zzzzzzz
Pichu

As I've said, I'm seeing 3-5 ballot. Across 2016. That's it. Inklings are a push but there are few recent things that could make that kind of push.
I distinctively remember that Pichu's files were in Brawl too

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
All that being said, I wonder if DLC will get leaked, besides the accidental leak in the Mewtwo update data. All four previous Smash games had their rosters leaked, but maybe with characters being created one at a time it would be harder to do, especially with a smaller team.

Nah.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm conflicted. On one hand, Kamen Rider Ghost sounds like it'll be epic and Drive Tridoron was officially revealed (nerd talk, I know). On the other hand, Splatoon officially has yogurt. It's late anyways, so I'll sleep on it zzzzzzz
Nope.

Forbidden 7 were
:mewtwopm:
:roypm:
:4drmario:
Unfinished Dixie from earlier concept of being Tag-Team with Diddy.
Toon Zelda
Toon Sheik (Tetra?)
Pru_Mai (Plusle-Minun or just another name for a random slot)

I just realized that splatoon is ripe with puns.

I love puns. it all makes sense now.
inb4 ryuga references chugga

Ice cream. . .that is some serious advertising there. They really want this to be a big series if they are going to go this crazy.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Not meaning to sound rude, but has there ever been something about Sakurai having an interest in Lip? It was either Mach Rider or Excite Biker that I remember being tossed in the age of Melee but bike jumping was an issue.
It was Excitebiker, which I have finished my thread for. I don't understand how Sakurai couldn't think of how he could double jump realistically. Seriously, Sakurai.
http://smashboards.com/threads/rev-up-your-engines-excitebiker-for-smash-under-new-ownership.336105/

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Yes... we need Duck Hunt Uprising... and then Dalmatian Duck Hunt can get in as a separate character clone. :troll:
You just blew my mind. That would make for a seriously interesting FPS though. The Duck's rebel against hunters and get aided by terrorists. The Dalmation Duck Hunt Dog becomes a rival to the normal Dog. The main goal of the game is to annihilate Duckkind.

I suppose before i sleep i will present a discussion that has the slightest possibility of being riveting so that when i wake up i have something to read.

Does anyone expect an "oddball" choice to be possible and if so who?
i dont necesaatily mean we will get a new wii fit trainer but someone a bit out of left field.

As for my personal opinion i agree the ballot is a suggestion box so i see it as fairly plausible a very low popularity character can be added. Yes DLC has to sell itselfbecause it isnt bundled with the base game but i do feel some lower characters may get their time to shine.

However, with the ever so slight exceptions of Level 5's layton and jibanyan i dont see any 3rd party lesser characters getting in. RIP avi.
As for who it might be. . . To be quite honest im tired and ill let you fine folks think up ideas for me.
i spy dusty so i wonder if style savvy will enter this little discussion of mine.

Have fun

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I suppose before i sleep i will present a discussion that has the slightest possibility of being riveting so that when i wake up i have something to read.

i dont necesaatily mean we will get a new wii fit trainer but someone a bit out of left field.

As for my personal opinion i agree the ballot is a suggestion box so i see it as fairly plausible a very low popularity character can be added. Yes DLC has to sell itselfbecause it isnt bundled with the base game but i do feel some lower characters may get their time to shine.

However, with the ever so slight exceptions of Level 5's layton and jibanyan i dont see any 3rd party lesser characters getting in. RIP avi.
As for who it might be. . . To be quite honest im tired and ill let you fine folks think up ideas for me.
i spy dusty so i wonder if style savvy will enter this little discussion of mine.

Have fun
Star Man from Pro Wrestling on the NES
Link to my thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/a-wi...r-ssb4-dlc-thread-under-new-ownership.340005/

SELF PLUG SELF PLUG SELF PLUG

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
There's probably going to be more oddballs than Ryu.
We going back to square one again. :p
I surprised Sakurai didn't actually consider Monita ever considering she would bbe more out of left field like WFT.

Besides, the WTF character will be Starman from NES Wrestling to support the reboot from Next Level Games all Punch Out Wii with some of the boxers making appearances like Bald Bull and Masked Muscle from Super Punch Out being a fighter

I wish :(

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I surprised Sakurai didn't actually consider Monita ever considering she would bbe more out of left field like WFT.

Besides, the WTF character will be Starman from NES Wrestling to support the reboot from Next Level Games all Punch Out Wii with some of the boxers making appearances like Bald Bull and Masked Muscle from Super Punch Out being a fighter

I wish :(
Star Man World Order 4 Life.
SMWO

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
oddball? Seeing how it'll be hard to pull out one since the poll will be mostly popularity based...

Krystal. No one thinks she has a chance, then boom along with wolf, no way.

Sticking to my guns since i predicted the roster fairly well, sans rosalina (thought itd be just junior), lucina (so close alt why.), and of course wii fit (no one saw that coming) and duck hunt (or this... unless crusade made you think about it).

the 3ds version helped me think like a dev or else i'd be way off the mark on my predictions.

Another one could be something like twili midna or impa. But the one you guys might come up with is mach rider/excitebiker. But I dont think sakurai would do that this time, he already is going to do that with ryu. So i think he'll just pick top tier choices and mids. But if he was gonna choose a low vote getter, it could be the biker.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Side Special - THIEF

The description of the move Thief states, "The user attacks and steals the target's held item simultaneously. It can't steal if the user holds an item."

So, like you see in that gif, Meowth pounces in one direction like :4diddy: Side+B move. When Meowth lands on the opponent, he steals their held item and then jumps off them. If the items are turned off, well, Meowth can just meteor smash them straight down anyway.

One of the custom moves could be Snatch where Meowth doesn't steal generic items but he steals character unique items and effects of healing and stat-changing moves. Meowth can steal the effects of :4wiifit: deep breathing, :4shulk: Monado Arts... Meowth can also pick up :4diddy: bananas, :4villager: pocketed items, :4peach: vegetables, :4link: bombs, :4rob: gyros, and even :4olimar: Pikmin.
A move that could steal items would actually be pretty cool, though the competitive community would no doubt hate it.:laugh:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, Sakurai picking a character just for surprise's sake for DLC seems incredibly unlikely to me. Even a character like Ryu is a huge video game icon and from the grandaddy of fighting games. The ballot seems made in mind for creating DLC based on fan feedback, especially looking at Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Edit so Oni gets a notification:

Have fun

Oddball?

Characters that were unfinished from an idea before?

WHY NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME?!

Edit: GOD I love this series but when you're SEEING it and not PLAYING it you can only take it in as some effed up drug trip.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
We really need some Rhythm Heaven in Smash. It's a crime it isn't. Actually, would be awesome if that game came here too.

Burruni

Smash Hero
We really need some Rhythm Heaven in Smash. It's a crime it isn't. Actually, would be awesome if that game came here too.
Like... I can get why people argue against a character from it for whatever reasons. Marshal4Life

But give us a STAGE! WE NEED RH MUSIC IN SMASH BROS.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It's possible his model was still being worked on. That's just a guess.
They used Other M model and then re-rigged it, slightly modified textures (while at the same time bringing them down to very low quality) and slapped horrible shaders on it. How that could take more than a week?
And that is not just what i think. This is true. I have this model. It also has inferiour rigging in several parts, especially his tail.
...just wanted to point it out.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If there's a character being suggested that the team likes the idea of but isn't as popularly requested, I highly doubt the team will just ignore said character and leave it be. (Kinda like with the whole Robin and Chrom thing. Chrom was the more popularly requested character, but Sakurai really liked the idea of what Robin could bring, so he went with him) hence why they also asked us to explain why these characters should be in the game.

So yeah, I'm sure we will see at least one or two unexpected faces here and there (much like how most didn't expect Roy and Ryu). Sales or otherwise considering how well the Amiibo's are doing even for some of the most controversial characters. And how this fanbase tends to grow fond of most characters, even the ones they didn't initially want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom