• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
No offense, but you shouldn't pick off at Geno fans either. :U
It was to prove a point. I'd sooner say "I don't support Geno" the way I'd prefer "I don't support Bandana Dee" over something along the lines of "I don't support ****ty characters".

At the very least, hearing BWD's faults compared to King K. Rool and Isaac are justified. When I'm being told my character is literally worthless compared to Geno "Appears in 1.2% of all Mario games" or Donkey Kong Jr. "I'm SaturnGamer64's long-lost-brother", that's when the gloves come off.

StormC

Smash Hero
Here's why many believe Wolf is already a lock. More requested than Lucas and how Star Fox U is coming. Also, there were 5 Marios in the Mewtwo patch, correct? What if one of those is Wolf?
Lucas was more requested in Japan, by most poll indications.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Honestly, the reason why we Ridley fans have a huge grudge is this: There was absolutely no reason not to outright show Ridley all the way back in September when he was first teased instead of waiting over a year
This exactly. The fact that there was blatant avoidance of ever even mentioning Ridley by name did his fans no favors. I'm fine with Ridley not being playable, but there was no reason to keep his fans' hopes up for so long by leaving the amount of reasonable doubt that the shadow could have been to a playable character.

Last edited:
Honestly, the reason why we Ridley fans have a huge grudge is this: There was absolutely no reason not to outright show Ridley all the way back in September when he was first teased instead of waiting over a year
Devils asvocate.
He even said ridley is a big deal worth hyping over. So him appearing at all was hype worthy enough to be saved for when the wii u was being advertised because the 3ds's time was over.
a selling point essentially. A silly one but one nonetheless

StormC

Smash Hero
It's possible his model was still being worked on. That's just a guess.

Gotta admit, the shadow analysis stuff cracked me up. Sakurai really knows how to get his fans speculating, if nothing else.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's not pick that scab again.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's possible his model was still being worked on. That's just a guess.

Gotta admit, the shadow analysis stuff cracked me up. Sakurai really knows how to get his fans speculating, if nothing else.
Zelda's Down B was shown with different effects not to mention in the smash direct, we saw him move. His model looks like **** regardless because they literally copy pasta'd Other M's textures
Devils asvocate.
He even said ridley is a big deal worth hyping over. So him appearing at all was hype worthy enough to be saved for when the wii u was being advertised because the 3ds's time was over.
a selling point essentially. A silly one but one nonetheless
No joke, I saw someone say Sakurai waited so that fans wouldn't be upset. Because waiting over a year for backlash is better than having immediate backlash and letting them calm down

StormC

Smash Hero
Barely more requested, not to mention again, Wolf is getting a new game this year. Lucas is dead along side his mother
Ouch.

But it's probably worth mentioning that we don't even know if Wolf will be in SFU (even if he most likely will be).

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Even before that Ridley was teased with the whole "An Enemy from Samus's Past could appear at any time"

I have honestly never felt so bitter about something, Nearly 2 years teasing and for what, blatant disregard of actual character traits of a strongly requested character since melee to make a lousy stage hazard on a stage nobody plays because it has a lousy hazard that acts like a playable character in every sense except for the fact you can't play as it like everybody wanted.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
The Mii costumes doesn't disconfirm Inklings. People will make up any rule they can think of.
Also, the fact that Splatoon is an unproven IP, unlike the critically acclaimed Xenoblade Chronicles, which got Shulk as a playable character. This is more of a Dunban/Proto Man situation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ouch.

But it's probably worth mentioning that we don't even know if Wolf will be in SFU (even if he most likely will be).
Pretty sure he was already confirmed, don't quote me on that, I'm stupid when sleepy EDIT: Wolfen was in trailer and Miyamoto mentions Wolf in interview. Funny enough Falco wasn't mentioned
Even before that Ridley was teased with the whole "An Enemy from Samus's Past could appear at any time"

I have honestly never felt so bitter about something, Nearly 2 years teasing and for what, blatant disregard of actual character traits of a strongly requested character since melee to make a lousy stage hazard on a stage nobody plays because it has a lousy hazard that acts like a playable character in every sense except for the fact you can't play as it like everybody wanted.
September was when Pyrosphere was revealed and Sakurai decided to skull**** with our minds

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

At least Ridley was represented in the flesh, as was Eggman's Robots, Shadow and Waluigi, unlike some other characters which are only represented by palette swaps and item trophies in a mode no one plays :(

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
September was when Pyrosphere was revealed and Sakurai decided to skull**** with our minds
Yeah that's true it really because a twisted road bridge from there, only for the bridge to have been going down the whole time because apparently a goddamn PINATA is worth hyping up

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
At least Ridley was represented in the flesh, as was Eggman's Robots, Shadow and Waluigi, unlike some other characters which are only represented by palette swaps and item trophies in a mode no one plays :(
I'd rather have no Ridley than that thing on Geothermal Power Plant, the stage's real name. It's sad that Team Jiggle Physics did a better job than Sakurai

StormC

Smash Hero
It's too bad because the Other M design was much better suited for being scaled down than his previous designs.

I dunno. I'm kinda over it. It's been almost 15 years. Sakurai's said his piece on the character, agree or disagree. I've moved on.

Besides, we still have another reptile pirate villain who's down but not out! #KrocTheVote

Last edited:
Honestly the thing that annoys me the most is that the trophy implies its the original ridley on pyrosphere and not a clone.

I dont know why that of all things pisses me off but it does. :laugh:

Also random new follower. I dodnt even say anything funny:confused:

StormC

Smash Hero
I do think @BaganSmashBros did a great job with classic Ridley here:

But I would really prefer Ridley not be at eye level with Samus, which is why his Other M design is perfect for being playable.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Also, the fact that Splatoon is an unproven IP, unlike the critically acclaimed Xenoblade Chronicles, which got Shulk as a playable character. This is more of a Dunban/Proto Man situation.
This weekend will be when Splatoon proves itself. I hope it does well enough to be one of Nintendo's more popular new franchises along with Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Personally, I feel that the other unrepresented franchises that could get newcomers in SSB5 are Rhythm Heaven (Chorus Kids), StreetPass Mii Plaza (Wandering Heroes; they are cats, dogs, bunnies and there are 8 games in the series), and Pushmo (Mallo; he got 4 games already). Murasame Castle's Takamaru is a strong candidate, especially if he gets a new game (cameos don't count).

Burruni

Smash Hero
It won't be unproven by the time the Ballot is closed.
Last I heard was over 200k pre-orders for the game in NA.
The game is wildly popular and the reviewers who got early copies have only seemed to love the game more as they played so it's unlikely it's going to get negative scores or some noticable swing of disappointed customers.
Splatoon is already getting/has one if not multiple running Manga for it.
It's BIG for a New IP.

Also, :roymelee:.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Takamaru as the surprise retro character in 5mash seems inevitable if Sakurai's main consideration for the character was lack of familiarity in the west. There aren't really a ton of other options left. Of course, I doubt Sakurai will even work on 5mash.

I'd argue that Ridley being hunched back can make up for that, kinda like how Ray MKIII could work in all 3 character sizes
Maybe, it's not impossible. It's not my preference, but it wouldn't stop me from enjoying the character if he was in Smash.

Last edited:
Takamaru as the surprise retro character in 5mash seems inevitable if Sakurai's main consideration for the character was lack of familiarity in the west. There aren't really a ton of other options left. Of course, I doubt Sakurai will even work on 5mash.
I still say takamaru will be the new little mac
assist trophy -->revival --> playable

he already has a VC rerelease and a game for nintendo land of all things.
seems really suspicious a retro would suddenly get so much love in one generation :rolleyes:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Didn't Sakurai also say that Takamaru would be considered for Brawl if the GBA version of Murasame Jo sold well? Takamaru confirmed F-Zero and Sakurai confirmed Miyamoto

Y'know, after reading about TOEI placing copyright on the name of their new annual Kamen Rider (Ghost for those curious), I realized something to disappoint DBZ Goku fans: TOEI is worse than SE when it comes to being stingy with copyright, TOEI constantly deleted youtube videos of Kamen Rider. So annoying!

Burruni

Smash Hero
I still say takamaru will be the new little mac
assist trophy -->revival --> playable

he already has a VC rerelease and a game for nintendo land of all things.
seems really suspicious a retro would suddenly get so much love in one generation :rolleyes:
:pit: was technically a retro who got revived. Funny to think about it that way.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It won't be unproven by the time the Ballot is closed.
Last I heard was over 200k pre-orders for the game in NA.
The game is wildly popular and the reviewers who got early copies have only seemed to love the game more as they played so it's unlikely it's going to get negative scores or some noticable swing of disappointed customers.
Splatoon is already getting/has one if not multiple running Manga for it.
It's BIG for a New IP.

Also, :roymelee:.
I hate that Roy excuse because Fire Emblem of as notable and big in Japan around 2001 and Sakurai was gonna put in Leif but IS wanted Roy. Besides Splatoon is an unproven franchise and while it has the hype it's still unproven.

Fire Emblem was a success in Japan and was an established franchise. That argument was about as stupid as the whole ":4littlemac:is a retro revival character" thing people pushed despite having a game in 2009

StormC

Smash Hero
Y'know, after reading about TOEI placing copyright on the name of their new annual Kamen Rider (Ghost for those curious), I realized something to disappoint DBZ Goku fans: TOEI is worse than SE when it comes to being stingy with copyright, TOEI constantly deleted youtube videos of Kamen Rider. So annoying!
Toei doesn't own the copyright to Dragon Ball, Shueisha does. Though, they did collaborate on those SSB/One Piece costumes.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I hate that Roy excuse because Fire Emblem of as notable and big in Japan around 2001 and Sakurai was gonna put in Leif but IS wanted Roy. Besides Splatoon is an unproven franchise and while it has the hype it's still unproven.

Fire Emblem was a success in Japan and was an established franchise. That argument was about as stupid as the whole ":4littlemac:is a retro revival character" thing people pushed despite having a game in 2009
It and the Yoshi's Wooly World stage say that content of upcoming games can be considered.

Splatoon will have released and gone through most of its main selling phase by the time the Ballot has closed.

That is what I was all I was trying to point out.

Edit: Also Fire Emblem was pretty friggin niche up to Awakening even in Japan.

Last edited:
:pit: was technically a retro who got revived. Funny to think about it that way.
that could potentially be duck hunt
retro -->playable --> revival

but that is just a huge fan theory so we can get banjo kazzoie back but not really
This is likely untrue.
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/

the leak that claimed leif would be playable was the same guy who claimed that wolf was planned for melee which seems to be misinformation as the guy has no evidence when it supposedly came from famitsu
@PushDustIn hope i didnt misspeak but ive used this article at least 10 times now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom