• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Duck Hunt is the retro rep.
Rosalina was highly requested as well.
That's the thing, people expected Takamaru to be "the retro rep" if I recall correctly. Some people apparently even gave @ Arcadenik Arcadenik a lot of flack for rating Duck Hunt highly because Takamaru was apparently "the obvious retro rep".

Rosalina did indeed have a lot of support. But most mainly laid their eyes on the other potential Mario characters. Her support did rise substantially when she was revealed for Super Mario 3D World though.

Last edited:

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
That's the thing, people expected Takamaru to be "the retro rep" if I recall correctly. People apparently even gave @ Arcadenik Arcadenik a lot of flack for rating Duck Hunt highly because Takamaru was apparently "the obvious retro rep".
I remember this, and I never understood why Takumaru was the most obvious retro rep. I never even heard of him until I started seeing him being requested on this site. Still, his game must have been really great for him to have gotten all the support he had. I've always liked the idea of Duck Hunt though since I have fond memories playing that game a lot when I was younger.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I remember this, and I never understood why Takumaru was the most obvious retro rep. I never even heard of him until I started seeing him being requested on this site. Still, his game must have been really great for him to have gotten all the support he had. I've always liked the idea of Duck Hunt though since I have fond memories playing that game a lot when I was younger.
People said Takamaru because he was in Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendo Land. "Not enough western popularity" my arse

StormC

Smash Hero
His game is as popular in Japan as Punch-Out!! is here. So I guess it made westerners curious.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
It won't be unproven by the time the Ballot is closed.
Last I heard was over 200k pre-orders for the game in NA.
The game is wildly popular and the reviewers who got early copies have only seemed to love the game more as they played so it's unlikely it's going to get negative scores or some noticable swing of disappointed customers.
Splatoon is already getting/has one if not multiple running Manga for it.
It's BIG for a New IP.

Also, :roymelee:.
When Roy was introduced, Fire Emblem was already an established franchise in Japan. Same with Lucina and Robin in Fire Emblem Awakening, and the Mario Kart 8 and Yoshi Wooly World stages.

Last edited:

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
I still don't understand why she got in over series veterans such as Daisy or Waluigi or Toad. She's still OP so I main her when I start losing...
I haven't even owned a Super Mario Galaxy game or seen a playthrough of one, but I can guess from what I might have liked about her is that it's because of appearance (Mainly hair covering one eye in cosmetic fashion) and the way she seems to carry herself as a character compared to other characters. Sometimes, you may have to remind some people that she's from the Super Mario series. I liked her initial reveal in her trailer. She's still not among my most played fighters nor do I care to master her, but her appearance is still very welcome in the series.

D

Deleted member

A topic I suggest concerning Kid Icarus' characters' voice actors.

As I check Smash Wiki, I've seen that, while Pit, Dark Pit and Viridi are still voiced by the same actors as in Uprising, it is not the same for Palutena, Magnus and Phosphora, as their former voice actors didn't reprise their roles due to... "conflicts".

Does someone knows any source about those conflicts ?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A topic I suggest concerning Kid Icarus' characters' voice actors.

As I check Smash Wiki, I've seen that, while Pit, Dark Pit and Viridi are still voiced by the same actors as in Uprising, it is not the same for Palutena, Magnus and Phosphora, as their former voice actors didn't reprise their roles due to... "conflicts".

Does someone knows any source about those conflicts ?
I presume conflict could mean that the actors were too busy, Palutena's actress was doing tv shows, Final Fantasy and more
I still don't understand why she got in over series veterans such as Daisy or Waluigi or Toad. She's still OP so I main her when I start losing...
She has something that most Mario characters lack: Backstory and personality, not to mention Rosalina was crazy popular before being put in Smash too, Daisy is a Peach clone in terms of appearance and role in the games, Waluigi was just made because Wario exists and hasn't appeared in main series Mario games, Toad lacks an identity outside of the new Captain Toad

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
She has something that most Mario characters lack: Backstory and personality, not to mention Rosalina was crazy popular before being put in Smash too, Daisy is a Peach clone in terms of appearance and role in the games, Waluigi was just made because Wario exists and hasn't appeared in main series Mario games, Toad lacks an identity outside of the new Captain Toad
Had this been a story based game such as a RPG I would of agreed as that was the reason Rosalina got in.
At best she may have gotten in due to her popularity with the fanbase BECAUSE she had a backstory, but intricate backstories and personalities translate to games about kicking the **** out of one another about as well as someone with chainsaws for hands does to animal husbandry.

Rosalina more likely got in because she's the hot topic character of the moment, and Galaxy was the biggest Mario game since Mario 64. It probably also helps she didn't debut in a spinoff like Waluigi, and was slightly more than a Peach replacement in her game.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
It's not bad per se, but mocking BDee despite how you praised Donkey flipping Kong Junior, I'd like consistentcy

Now now Chandy, Geno may be impossible as SE doesn't like people touching their toys, I believe Geno represents something better than any character request, him being a pipedream
Opinions aren't a bad thing, but they can be easily flaunted about in rather rude ways.

Bandana Waddle Dee fans don't like hearing what you said any more than you like hearing the fact that you support a character that Nintendo doesn't even own the rights to anymore that has nothing more than a one-off title and a lone cameo in series more than 170 games big. Just saying.
this is just video game character so you shouldnt turn this to a big thing even if you said "fanbase" and waddle dee is just like goomba i didnt found something special about him i played some of kirby games but i never played the game where does a bandana dee appear all what i see in my eyes when i see bandana dee is that he is the same character but just with a spear and wears a bandana i prefer someone like doroach because he is very interesting character and i loved kirby squeak squad but i dont hate bandana dee i just dont find him very interesting

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Thing is that Waluigi is pretty much a main character at this point despite his overall insignificance to the franchise's main series. Mario Party? Waluigi's in it. Mario Kart? Waluigi's in it (except for 7). Mario Strikers? Waluigi's in it. Hell, Waluigi's even been in the only Mario rythym game ever made as the main antagonist (that being DDR: Mario Mix).

Waluigi is also ridiculously cleverly made to play off of Wario; Wario works as an exaggerated Expy of Mario; Mario's somewhat short and a little tubby, so Wario is really short and really fat. Luigi is taller and thinner than Mario, so of course Waluigi, being the exaggerated version, is really tall and thin as a rail.

As for Geno....I like the guy, but Waluigi's been in waay more games than he has and is more popular these days even despite of Geno's really loyal fans. Besides that, Waluigi's just way more funny than Geno, since Waluigi is so off-the-wall loony that he'd be a great Smash fighter. I'm #TeamWaa all the way. :p

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
As for Geno....I like the guy, but Waluigi's been in waay more games than he has and is more popular these days even despite of Geno's really loyal fans. Besides that, Waluigi's just way more funny than Geno, since Waluigi is so off-the-wall loony that he'd be a great Smash fighter. I'm #TeamWaa all the way. :p
all mario characters that we got in smash does have fun and kiddy even :4bowserjr::4bowser::rosalina:.
Geno is the kind of mario character thats very seireous and doesnt have fun and he do whatever he wants and not very kid friendly even his Geno whirl says "this attack works on the undead enemies" even he did fight mario just to test his power before he joins mario team and he killed a sword thats x3 bigger than a castle with only 1 hit he is close to be like cloud from FF7 personality thats why Geno fans will always be alive even after 19 years of him disappearing because he has done something that none other mario characters did and i am seeing some kids that never played SMRPG but know who is he and they already loved him even if they didnt know everything about him

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
all mario characters that we got in smash does have fun and kiddy even :4bowserjr::4bowser::rosalina:.
Geno is the kind of mario character thats very seireous and doesnt have fun and he do whatever he wants and not very kid friendly even his Geno whirl says "this attack works on the undead enemies" even he did fight mario just to test his power before he joins mario team and he killed a sword thats x3 bigger than a castle with only 1 hit he is close to be like cloud from FF7 personality
Geno also hasn't been relevant since Super Mario RPG, while Waluigi continually appears in spinoffs to this day. Their situations aren't really comparable. :p

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
because nintendo will kill Geno personality if they did this just like they did to rosalina after mario galaxy
Rosalina's also a cosmic power, though. And considering her backstory, it makes sense for her to be reserved and showing little emotion; that's also Japan's culture conflicting with ours (more emotionless characters are viewed as strong-willed there, whereas to us it seems like bad writing).

And Geno barely had a personality, even in Super Mario RPG. Bowser had the most personality in that game. Waluigi has a distinct personality; a egomaniacal jerk. It's not an Oscar-winning one, but Waluigi has a personality, which is more than can be said for Geno.

But really, I guess you can say Geno's personality is....

...wooden. :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I really feel like if Nintendo wanted to bring back ol' Geno, Mario Galaxy 1 or at the very least Galaxy 2 would of been the prime opportunity to do so.

Even barring that, the fact he hasn't appeared in Mario Kart or Mario Party in any capacity despite people showing a vocal support for him doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that Nintendo will want to push him for DLC in one of their biggest franchises that celebrates their gaming IPs and best loved characters as a whole.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just replayed Melee for the first time in a long time, since I never used Roy back then and I want to see how different he is compared to Marth. While I don't really support the character, after replaying it, I do feel like he was different enough from the current Marth that, if he was included in the current game with the same moves as in Melee, he'd have enough differences to possibly justify including him as DLC. (though I basically never play as Marth unless I have to, so I could be very wrong in regards to if he's changed since Melee or not)

Then again, I thought that Dark Pit might be tolerable if he had Pit's Brawl moveset, and instead, he was an almost exact clone of Pit (arrows that are marginally harder to control do not make a character unique or fun to play as), so for all I know, if Roy's actually being released as DLC, they'll just directly copy the current game's Marth, change the model, change his B move to match Melee, and add a fire effect to some of his attacks.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I really feel like if Nintendo wanted to bring back ol' Geno, Mario Galaxy 1 or at the very least Galaxy 2 would of been the prime opportunity to do so.

Even barring that, the fact he hasn't appeared in Mario Kart or Mario Party in any capacity despite people showing a vocal support for him doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that Nintendo will want to push him for DLC in one of their biggest franchises that celebrates their gaming IPs and best loved characters as a whole.
Don't Gearmoes count?

I wanna travel to the alternate dimension where Midbus is the Mario RPG one-off clamored for since I'm getting sick of Geno.

Thing is that Waluigi is pretty much a main character at this point despite his overall insignificance to the franchise's main series. Mario Party? Waluigi's in it. Mario Kart? Waluigi's in it (except for 7). Mario Strikers? Waluigi's in it. Hell, Waluigi's even been in the only Mario rythym game ever made as the main antagonist (that being DDR: Mario Mix).

Waluigi is also ridiculously cleverly made to play off of Wario; Wario works as an exaggerated Expy of Mario; Mario's somewhat short and a little tubby, so Wario is really short and really fat. Luigi is taller and thinner than Mario, so of course Waluigi, being the exaggerated version, is really tall and thin as a rail.

This.
Waluigi and Daisy might not have been in a major Mario game, the rate at which they appear and will keep on appearing makes them major in and off itself.

I like how people forget that Waluigi and Daisy appeared in more games than their whole top 5 together.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Want the reason why I just have given up that Square Enix will let Geno happen in anything, especially Smash

This. In Mario-Spinoffs where Square Enix characters have appeared, it's solely been Dragon's Quest and Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I mean, let's be fair. Toad is the only character of those three you can fairly call a main series veteran. The other two are spin-off fodder, regardless of how often they appear in that role.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's the thing, people expected Takamaru to be "the retro rep" if I recall correctly. Some people apparently even gave @ Arcadenik Arcadenik a lot of flack for rating Duck Hunt highly because Takamaru was apparently "the obvious retro rep".

Rosalina did indeed have a lot of support. But most mainly laid their eyes on the other potential Mario characters. Her support did rise substantially when she was revealed for Super Mario 3D World though.
Yes... people here gave me a lot of flack over :4duckhunt: since 2009 (when I joined SmashBoards)... you know who you are... :smirk:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Okay, since let's be honest; The Thousand Year Door is often considered THE BEST Mario RPG by the vast majority, we should be voting for Goombella.

She's perfect; she has personality, she had a big impact within that game, one of the better partners, and she's there since the beginning. Plus Goombas are a reoccurring species in Mario.

Does this sound ridiculous?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I mean, let's be fair. Toad is the only character of those three you can fairly call a main series veteran. The other two are spin-off fodder, regardless of how often they appear in that role.
But in Japan any playable toad was fill-in fodder as a nameless and otherwise indistinguishable character from anyone else in the race before Captain Toad debuted in Galaxy 1.

Waluigi at least has been going on since early N64 and Daisy technically had her time on the eaaaaarly Gameboy before becoming a spin-off princess.

Okay, since let's be honest; The Thousand Year Door is often considered THE BEST Mario RPG by the vast majority, we should be voting for Goombella.

She's perfect; she has personality, she had a big impact within that game, one of the better partners, and she's there since the beginning. Plus Goombas are a reoccurring species in Mario.

Yes because she's just a specific character of a generic race with a headlamp and an archeology degree.
Why would you ever want that? :troll:

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

0/10 not enough lazers.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
People said Takamaru because he was in Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendo Land. "Not enough western popularity" my arse
Good thing the game is fully localized so that many who's unfamiliar with him can feel free to buy the game. As long as this is a thing to think about, ol' Sak officially has no more excuses for the next time. :evil:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Want the reason why I just have given up that Square Enix will let Geno happen in anything, especially Smash

This. In Mario-Spinoffs where Square Enix characters have appeared, it's solely been Dragon's Quest and Final Fantasy.
we can get both geno and a final fantasy character i dont see any problem with this but SMRPG was one of the important thing that happend between square and nintendo history than sports or fortune street

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So I finally got around to redeeming my Club Nintendo codes for free Mewtwo DLC today and he is so much fun to play!! My first match was against Fox (it was random) on Town and City (Omega). The second match was against Dr. Mario (random again) on Melee Yoshi's Island (Omega)... it is like I am back in 2001. I am reminded why Mewtwo was one of my favorite characters in Melee.

I wish we got more playable Pokemon in Smash... :007::002::172::052:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

I think retro characters are chosen not by how highly requested they are. Because who even thought of Ice Climbers before Melee added them?

Makes sense. And she also has higher potential and had more important role in games outside of Super Mario 3D World.
Maybe because r3c3nt and important to games she appeared in?
Good thing the game is fully localized so that many who's unfamiliar with him can feel free to buy the game. As long as this is a thing to think about, ol' Sak officially has no more excuses for the next time. :evil:
As if they had any before...outside of few cases. Seriously, that Ganondorf interview (fake) was so easy to believe in just because of s**t he said before.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I wouldnt doubt sakurai's excuse abilities if I were you. . .

he uhhhh finds a way.
Right, like needing a new game in the future in order to truly warrant a slot. That's where Kamiya comes in as long as no one even bothers him on Twitter about it.

"I'll ban all Takamaru idiots and stop asking me about a ****ing game!" :troll:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

GUYS!

I FOUND THE PERFECT MARIO REP.

PAPER MARIO WAS OBVIOUSLY A GREAT GAME WITH MY NOSTALGIA GOGGLES.
KALMAR IS VERY IMPORTANT IN THIS GAME AS A STAR SPIRIT *SQUEAK SOUNDS SO COOL RITE?*

ASIDE FROM APPEARING IN A GAME HE CAN ALSO TURN ENEMIES IN STARS GET IT BECAUSE HES A STAR.
HES ALSO VERY PERSONALIED BECAUSE HES CALM AND STRONG LOOK AT HIS SUPAH EDGY FACE.

HE HAS ALSO UNIQUE STAR POWERS BECAUSE THESE STAR POWERS ARENT IN YET.
HE CAN ALSO SHOOT A LAZER WHO DOESN'T WANT A LAZAH. LAZAHS.

HE EVEN MAKES A CAMEO IN MARIO PARTY SEVEN AS A MENU BUTTON THIS MEANS NINTY CARES ABOUT HIM RITE?

KALMAR FOR SMASH

@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom