• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
Can we not use number of games? It doesn't go anywhere ever.
I guess so. I meant it as a plus for Fire Emblem, not as a negative for Star Fox; it's definitely not an end-all factor, obviously since we have seen characters like Ice Climbers and Lucas.

Regardless, I think 4 Fire Emblem characters is justifiable.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Four Fire Emblem characters isn't completely out of the question. Just looking at the series, it's been around since NES, it's had a consistent number of game releases, and it has plenty of good characters to add.

That's more than I can say for Star Fox, which already has three.
I never looked at it this way. Still, we need to remember that both Falco and Wolf were last-minute characters. Star Fox has three, but it wasn't planned to have three in the first place. Star Fox was very lucky. It could have had remained at one even to this day if Sakurai did not want to expand the rosters with last-minute characters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wouldn't really say three Fire Emblem characters is pushing it. I'm sure the series is popular enough to warrant it. I just can't find myself caring enough about any of the contenders. So I'm more than content with Ike and Marth.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I guess so. I meant it as a plus for Fire Emblem, not as a negative for Star Fox; it's definitely not an end-all factor, obviously since we have seen characters like Ice Climbers and Lucas.

Regardless, I think 4 Fire Emblem characters is justifiable.
See I'm okay with that too but only if not all of them are flavor of the week additions. I mean, Roy and a newcomer really isn't that much of a stretch. Honestly, most supporting characters aren't that much of a stretch. (Three mother, second fzero, fourth star fox, etc)

CalumG

Smash Lord
To be frank, I don't think many existing series' in Smash need a newcomer at all, and less newcomers for old franchises could be a good thing.

Ridley, Palutena, Mewtwo and Dixie/Rool/Cranky - the 'Elite Four' with some leeway on the DK character (and maybe Roy?? pretty plz). Apart from those four/five, I literally have to rack my brain to come up with something remotely 'deserving' because when it comes down to it, Brawl was near spot-on with the franchises it had. I don't see a particular need for excessive newcomers in Zelda/F-Zero/Fire Emblem and so on, as long as they keep providing franchise newcomers like Little Mac, Villager and Megaman.

?????????????

Smash Master
See I'm okay with that too but only if not all of them are flavor of the week additions. I mean, Roy and a newcomer really isn't that much of a stretch. Honestly, most supporting characters aren't that much of a stretch. (Three mother, second fzero, fourth star fox, etc)
No, they aren't a stretch. A good character is a good character...although that DOESN'T mean that every good character, even if they are deserving, will make it into this game. I think that's what Sakurai is conveying with his quote. But that doesn't make a character impossible in the future or take away from them being a good character.

And I myself used to be a "flavor of the week" guy when in came to SSB predictions. In a lot of ways, I still am, but I was wrong to write off characters based on that notion alone.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Can we not use number of games? It doesn't go anywhere ever. (Also FE was intended to have three anyways)
Intended to, but didnt. ;)

4 FE characters is justifiable if there are more notable unique options available, but I doubt he'll do 4 characters.
If somehow Roy got brought back as almost basically still a clone of Marth, I could still see us getting a newcomer from Fire Emblem while still keeping Ike. That's only because I think Ike is still pretty likely to make it back with Fire Emblem getting a newcomer in Chrom or Lucina. Roy getting in would only be a gift to the Melee fans.. maybe.

EDIT: Oh snap, @ Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa kind of already said that.

Last edited:

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone. I'm new to SmashBoards, but I have been lurking around since Pre-Brawl. Anyway, today's PotD had me thinking about the Mario Bros. franchise. Since Rosalina & Luma have been revealed so early, do we really think that there will be no new Mario characters? It's hard for me to believe that Sakurai would reveal the final character for that franchise so early, but I guess it is possible.
Yo.

On one hand, I agree that the early reveals of 5 Mario characters were a little bizarre, but on the other hand, I think the promotional aspect of character reveals has a whole lot to do with it. There were multiple new Mario games to advertise, and character reveals were used for that purpose. It'd be sketchy as hell if Peach and Rosalina had been shown at completely random times, or if there were no new Mario games for their reveals to coincide with. Given the circumstances, though, I think it's just that Mario happened to warrant more promotional reveals.

There's also the fact that no one had any reason to doubt Peach and Luigi's return to begin with - they could have been revealed at any time without there being much concern or excitement. Even if those two were still unconfirmed, we'd still be treat the Mario series as if it had 5 characters, since their returns were kind of a given.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Not worth bringing Roy back if he's not going to be a unique character for FE to get more than 3 characters. He'll likely be a semi-clone if he comes back.
Toon Link, as far as we can tell, is still mostly cloned of Link. I'd be 100% ok with Roy back as basically still a clone.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
On a different topic, do you all believe Mr. Sakurai is paying attention to the forums? I mean, this morning's Waluigi description seemed to poke at the fan base's ideal on why he should be included. I could be wrong, but it's a thought.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
On a different topic, do you all believe Mr. Sakurai is paying attention to the forums? I mean, this morning's Waluigi description seemed to poke at the fan base's ideal on why he should be included. I could be wrong, but it's a thought.
He can't speak English. :p
So I extremely doubt he sees Smashboards topics here.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Is it me, or are people really hellbent on Palutena being an assist trophy lately....?

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I thought he could? Either way, there's also the idea that he indirectly is hearing of forum posts or vast discussions from other people that report it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We know Nate Bihldorf checked Smashboards and NeoGAF on our reactions during pre-Brawl, furthermore he's the guy that also translated everything on the Dojo, so he likely had direct contact with Sakurai. Plus, Sakurai also said they're checking Miiverse in the Developer Direct iirc. It's very likely they're keeping an eye on us, so while Sakurai doesn't read the things himself he likely has the information delivered to him.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
No, they aren't a stretch. A good character is a good character...although that DOESN'T mean that every good character, even if they are deserving, will make it into this game. I think that's what Sakurai is conveying with his quote. But that doesn't make a character impossible in the future or take away from them being a good character.

And I myself used to be a "flavor of the week" guy when in came to SSB predictions. In a lot of ways, I still am, but I was wrong to write off characters based on that notion alone.
Agreed completely. Not everything will make it into this game, but there's no sign of ending the series, so I don't mind. It's why my two most wanted characters are already "wait what" worthy.

I don't want entire series to become flavor of the week - I want some stability with Pokemon and fire emblem but I accepted there's less with both and there will always be until they're finished (great joke)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
We know Nate Bihldorf checked Smashboards and NeoGAF on our reactions during pre-Brawl, furthermore he's the guy that also translated everything on the Dojo, so he likely had direct contact with Sakurai. Plus, Sakurai also said they're checking Miiverse in the Developer Direct iirc. It's very likely they're keeping an eye on us, so while Sakurai doesn't read the things himself he likely has the information delivered to him.
What if Sakurai decided to add a character that is very popular and adds Steve or Goku?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, in that case, I guess Sakurai is guaranteed to know about Ridley.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yo.

On one hand, I agree that the early reveals of 5 Mario characters were a little bizarre, but on the other hand, I think the promotional aspect of character reveals has a whole lot to do with it. There were multiple new Mario games to advertise, and character reveals were used for that purpose. It'd be sketchy as hell if Peach and Rosalina had been shown at completely random times, or if there were no new Mario games for their reveals to coincide with. Given the circumstances, though, I think it's just that Mario happened to warrant more promotional reveals.

There's also the fact that no one had any reason to doubt Peach and Luigi's return to begin with - they could have been revealed at any time without there being much concern or excitement. Even if those two were still unconfirmed, we'd still be treat the Mario series as if it had 5 characters, since their returns were kind of a given.
Yeah. It's just bizarre since Sakurai picked Rosalina & Luma at that time. Why not another newcomer? From a new series or any other series? Then again, it is very easy to over analyze him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What if Sakurai decided to add a character that is very popular and adds Steve or Goku?
They don't meet the general criteria as far as I'm aware. Plus, the roster was already decided when the Smash Bros Miiverse page launched.

Well, in that case, I guess Sakurai is guaranteed to know about Ridley.
Well, duh, of course he does. His pre-Brawl poll had Ridley on it, and there's a reason he got two boss battles in Brawl. He most certainly knows about the demand.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah. It's just bizarre since Sakurai picked Rosalina & Luma at that time. Why not another newcomer? From a new series or any other series? Then again, it is very easy to over analyze him.
Maybe he didn't think it was necessary, but Nintendo bugged the heck out of him to add Rosalina for marketing purposes, and then he sees her uniqueness as a character, having her added in the roster. :p

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Maybe he didn't think it was necessary, but Nintendo bugged the heck out of him to add Rosalina for marketing purposes, and then he sees her uniqueness as a character, having her added in the roster. :p
Maybe it was good since SMB3DW was so successful, and people found out about the fifth character. Either way, I just thought it would be interesting to discuss, especially since Waluigi didn't gain enough clout to become a playable character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
"Don't be douchey. I'm simply being realistic."

"Read your own damn posts"

The hipocrasy, it burns.

"Don't act like I'm being a narcissist"

I don't have to try very hard to do that.

Especially when you say:

"And real mature there... How old are you exactly?"
Telling me
"You can't deny it."
and actually justifying your opinions with
"unbroken trend."
while trying to make it seem like I'm the only one who thinks the way I do with
"You want to ask people here? They'll tell you the same."

Who the hell do you think you are?
-Chrom can be unique
-Lucina can be unique
-Chrom and Lucina can be a team
-Unique newcomers are better additions than clone newcomers
-Unique newcomers add more to the game
-Fans have made movesets that have mad Chrom and Lucina unique together and separate
-Developers are more qualified than fans, and know what they're doing... more so than fans
-Sakurai has given many characters moves they don't possess
-No pattern in a previous game can justify anything in this game, as any pattern can be followed as easily as it can be broken
-4/5 newcomers so far have added a new, unique gimmick to the series not in a previous game
-Chrom is more requested than Roy, and is more popular even though Roy was in Melee. Roy was a full clone in Melee, and wasn't the original one chosen
-When people talk about who should return from Melee, more often than not, they'll only choose Mewtwo
-There are multiple FE characters that could be included as clones
-Awakening did much more for the series than Binding Blade, and is the most recent game
-If you care about patterns so much: FE had characters in Melee and Brawl, in Melee they added the upcoming new FE lord + Marth and almost added the lord from the game before the newest lord, in Brawl they added the newest lord from 2 games + Marth, the most recent lord is Chrom, and Marth has already returned. If patterns justify whatever you want to happen, then I guess I can use this to justify the final FE roster being Marth, Chrom... with Ike being considered/almost added. And nobody else. Sounds like crap to me, but if "patterns" mean everything, that's what will happen. And since Ike was more unique than Roy, Chrom will be even more separate than Marth, and then in SSB5 the newest lord can be added with an even more unique moveset, and Marth can return, and Chrom can be almost added but dropped due to time/choosing this new guy.
Thankfully, this scenario won't happen. Ike won't get cut, and I doubt we'll see a boring trio of Marth, Ike, Roy or Marth, Ike, Chrom when there are plenty of unique characters to choose from.Many patterns have been destroyed already. Like updating designs... many take their designs fro Brawl like Fox and Link. Every game so far has looked more and more realistic, this is more cartoonish. Pattern broken. Simple as that. Toon Link returned. 2nd Link pattern continued. Simple as that. It is just as easy to break a pattern, as it is to continue one. So patterns can't be used to justify anything, neither side, as both are viable unless looked at specifically to see what's actually being requested. You can justify likelihood based on simply... what you think the likelihood of _____ is. There's no evidence.
Remember, Sakurai even almost didn't add Ness in Melee and Jigglypuff in Brawl, the original 12 is the most prominent character tradition of the series and was almost not one at all.

If Daisy's ever added as a playable character and she's a clone. I'll get what you mean. But until then, Daisy being able to be unique, and Rosalina being able to be unique, doesn't really support the assumption they'd be clones. Daisy is more similar to Peach, but would not be a clone if added... I don't think their rushing this one and last minute clones aren't the way to go. I don't think Sakurai will purposely add any clone newcomers unless rushed... and they have time...

EDIT: Double post :c
Yeah, I'm not actually reading this. I feel bad you wasted your time making so much text, but to be fair I don't want to waste my time actually reading it.

Last edited by a moderator:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I wonder why Sakurai always goes to Star Fox for "Oh god the game is almost out we need another clone".

Wouldn't have minded Dark Samus, Sakurai, if you were so hell-bent on slapping Ridley fans in the face. -halfjoke-

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I can see four Fire Emblem characters if Marth, Ike, Chrom/Lucina tagteam (with both being clones or semi-clones of each other).

Otherwise, two: Marth and Ike. OR Three: Marth, Ike, and a slightly updated Roy.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I still don't see why (people think that) Sakurai would ignore Awakening and bring Roy back.

I understand wanting a character really bad, and obviously everyone's entitled to want who they want, but Roy seems like a fairly lost cause.

Besides, Project M did him more justice than Smash 4 ever would.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wonder why Sakurai always goes to Star Fox for "Oh god the game is almost out we need another clone".
He's not a clone. And that's not why he added him. I didn't realize we played Smash for the move sets. I thought it was...you know...for your favorite Nintendo characters.

andimidna

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm not actually reading this. I feel bad you wasted your time making so much text, but to be fair I don't want to waste my time actually reading it.
Psh. Everybody that gets in a discussion with you is wasting their time. You're only open to your ideas, and everything else is garbage. No matter what common sense and evidence backs up the other side.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I still don't see why (people think that) Sakurai would ignore Awakening and bring Roy back.

I understand wanting a character really bad, and obviously everyone's entitled to want who they want, but Roy seems like a fairly lost cause.

Besides, Project M did him more justice than Smash 4 ever would.
Does it make sense to bring Mewtwo back and not add any new pokemon from the new generations?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

It's likely that Roy will not be added back, no matter how much he is our boy or how much certain people want him.
If any scenarios out of the 4 likeliest are to happen, Being:
-We get Marth and Ike
-We get Marth, Ike and a Third FE character (presumably an Awakening character to capitalize on it's success)
-All FE Veterans
-Marth and FE Newcomer, Ike is cut
We're likely to see the second happening, then the first, third, then 4th.

Does it make sense to bring Mewtwo back and not add any new pokemon from the new generations?
Sakurai himself stated that if Mewtwo returned no 6th Generation Pokemon would be playable at E3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom