• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
This part seems still pretty unlikely though seeing as we've seen all of Diddy's specials(unless I'm mistaken).

If THIS part turns out to be true, I'll start considering it.

Well, I think that Sakurai might be trying to fool us with the banana. Diddy is taunting in the picture, so the banana could just be an item this time around. Just a theory.

Anyway, I hope it's true, I would LOVE to see King K. Rool in.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
For real, though. I'd love to see a social experiment where the mods are allowed to go hyper-sensitive mode for one day and infract anyone who so much as even whispers a sentence unformatted to be usable in a major argumentative essay.

It'd certainly keep things objective, and would really filter out the difference between a good argument and a good arguer. I'd love to see a thread like that, if only for a day.
From what I've seen, this thread has mostly become that. And I rarely acknowledge stuff like that now. Only if I feel it's necessary.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Rosalina is the only Mario newcomer.
Waluigi and Toad were at once considered, but Waluigi remains an Assist Trophy, and Toad a move for Peach.
Bowser Junior, Paper Mario and Daisy were never considered. Bowser Junior was planned to be an Assist Trophy, but was scrapped.
Fawful is a new Mario Assist Trophy. He acts like Mr. Resetti, but will attack opponents at random.
Diddy Kong will be the next revealed veteran, to coincide with Tropical Freeze’s release date.
Diddy is paired with Dixie Kong as a tag-team, similar to Zelda and Sheik. Dixie has a separate moveset from Diddy, but it’s still being worked on.
King K. Rool is a newcomer, the heaviest character on the roster. He is powerful and can KO light characters with 2 good Smash Attacks. His final smash has him use the blunderbuss and fire cannonballs from the top of the screen while they fly in from the sides as well.
Gangplank Galleon is a stage.
There is a new Zelda character, although it’s kept a secret so far. The names heard most often are Tingle and Ghirahim.
Ganondorf will be buffed, although he still retains some of C. Falcon’s moves. He can equip a sword using his Down Special.
Chrom is a Fire Emblem necomer. He wields the Falchion, and does not replace Ike.
Chrom is expected to be revealed to celebrate the anniversary of the first Fire Emblem.Lyn’s Assist Trophy from Brawl has been scrapped.
King Gangrel and Aversa are the new Fire Emblem Assist Trophy. Gangrel runs around slicing with his sword, while Aversa flies above using Aversa’s Night. They are the “unexpected” Assist Trophy.
No newcomers for Yoshi or Wario.
Wario’s overalls are now his default attire.
The Kat & Ana Assist Trophy has been scrapped.
Ashley from WarioWare is a new Assist Trophy.
Ridley is a newcomer, and is scaled down a bit. It was a major feat on the development team.No new Star Fox characters.
Falco is farther away from being a Fox clone.
Wolf is no longer a semi-clone.
Villager has a female costume.
Mr. Resetti returns as an Assist Trophy.
Tom Nook is a new Assist Trophy. He apparently drops bells across the stage, which causes opponents to trip. (Due to Sakurai saying tripping is removed, it’s unknown if forced tripping, like this and Diddy’s bananas will return, or if only accidental tripping is removed.)
Palutena is a newcomer, with her moves based directly off Uprising.Magnus is a new Assist Trophy, and acts similarly to Little Mac in Brawl.
All Pokemon veterans from Brawl return.
Mewtwo returns.
Mewtwo and Lucario have very different movesets.No new Kirby characters.
Meta Knight will be revealed sometime in the summer of 2014.No changes made to the EarthBound series.
All misc. characters return (Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Ice Climbers)
Little Mac is a newcomer. He has the look from the Punch-Out!! reboot for the Wii.
The Male Wii Fit Trainer is indeed an alt. for Wii Fit Trainer.
Wii Fit Trainer has a butt attack. It is replaced by a headbutt for the male costume.
King Hippo is an Assist Trophy.
The Ghosts from Luigi’s Mansion are an Assist Trophy.
Snake returns.
Pac-Man will be the final newcomer. He is a secret character.

This rumor is starting to look more true everyday.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Waluigi returning as an Assist Trophy was a fairly safe bet, and details of that rumor have already been proven false. Specifically, the parts regarding Diddy. He was NOT the next revealed veteren at the time (that was Lucario), and there is nothing at all to suggest that Dixie is part of Diddy's moveset. The lack of a Diddy/Dixie tag team seems a bit more detrimental to the leak then a correct guess of the return of an assist helps it.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Waluigi returning as an Assist Trophy was a fairly safe bet, and details of that rumor have already been proven false. Specifically, the parts regarding Diddy. He was NOT the next revealed veteren at the time (that was Lucario), and there is nothing at all to suggest that Dixie is part of Diddy's moveset. The lack of a Diddy/Dixie tag team seems a bit more detrimental to the leak then a correct guess of the return of an assist helps it.
Well, I guess we will have to wait and see. I think that the tag team, whether this rumor is true or not, has a decent shot at still being true.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'm gonna make a top 10 "Most Deserving Characters that will forever miss out" video

There's so many characters who's lack of playability is insulting to their importance (disregarding their abilities). And we know (for the most part) they won't be playable. If I had to make a list of them it'd be this. (in no particular order)
Why Pichu, Eevee, and Donkey Kong Jr., may I ask? I won't argue that they'll miss out, but I don't see why they're so deserving in the first place aside from being young creatures that have existed for at least 15 years.

Though I suppose the list is objective in the first place if we're missing folks like Masked Link and Louie.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why Pichu, Eevee, and Donkey Kong Jr., may I ask? I won't argue that they'll miss out, but I don't see why they're so deserving in the first place aside from being young creatures that have existed for at least 15 years.
Eevee is a unique, important, and popular concept in Pokemon. (As is Eevee herself along with her forms)

Donkey Kong Jr. is one of the most memorable and classic Nintendo retros out there.

Pichu is incredibly popular as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Saturn, your avatar kind of scares me.

Anyways, to keep this on topic, what do you guys think of the Waluigi deconfirmation?
Unsurprising to me, kind of like Starfy. I didn't expect Waluigi playable and as a result I don't think there's any short of shot at a 6th Mario slot anymore. We have one of the biggest potentials DCed now.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom

Anyways, to keep this on topic, what do you guys think of the Waluigi deconfirmation?
Very unsurprising. Doesn't really change much as far as I'm concerned, only laughing at the tears of the Waluigi fans.

yes i can be cruel

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

A bit of a shame, but pretty inevitable once we saw Rosalina. If he ever appeared in a proper Wario game I could actually see him getting a shot, but being Mr. spinoff sports series isn't doing him many favours it seems. Bowser Jr. is the only Mario newcomer of note left to deconfirm now. I'm really not expecting him to make the cut either this time round.

Isaac is about the only Assist I can see making the leap and following in Little Mac's shoes, and to be honest I even see that as incredibly unlikely. Would kill for Goroh to make the leap so we can get a secondary F-Zero rep though.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
A bit of a shame, but pretty inevitable once we saw Rosalina. If he ever appeared in a proper Wario game I could actually see him getting a shot, but being Mr. spinoff sports series isn't doing him many favours it seems. Bowser Jr. is the only Mario newcomer of note left to deconfirm now. I'm really not expecting him to make the cut either this time round.

Isaac is about the only Assist I can see making the leap and following in Little Mac's shoes, and to be honest I even see that as incredibly unlikely. Would kill for Goroh to make the leap so we can get a secondary F-Zero rep though.
Yeah, I don't really think Isaac has a big chance, either. It would be cool to see him in, but when's the last time we heard of him?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I can relate to that.

Now about Waluigi, I don't find this at all surprising. No offense to all the Waluigi supporters out there, but he's never really been at all important to the Mario series as a whole, and with Rosalina already here, I seriously doubt we'll be seeing another Mario character. Most everyone agrees we're likely going to get a smaller roster this time around, so why build up the biggest franchises with all these extra characters when there are plenty of other series that have much more deserving characters?

So yeah, I'm completely unfazed by this. I only wish it were a less predictable Assist...

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess we will have to wait and see. I think that the tag team, whether this rumor is true or not, has a decent shot at still being true.
If they aren't both on the screen at the same time acting as a team, then it's not a tag team. It's a transformation, in the same vein as Pokemon Trainer. And Dixie being Diddy's new transformation seems a bit... odd. Really odd. Especially considering a tag team mechanic would make a lot more sense. I've argued for the plausibility of Diddy+Dixie before, but uh. I'm pretty sure Diddy's reveal shot the entire concept down pretty conclusively.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yeah, I don't really think Isaac has a big chance, either. It would be cool to see him in, but when's the last time we heard of him?
Dark Dawn in 2010 which wasn't Golden Sun's most acclaimed game...but Isaac was there. Albeit all grown up and with an identical son in the form of Matthew.

Still he's bigger in the west than in Japan just like Little Mac and Ridley.
Neither of those were intentional size jokes.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
Dark Dawn in 2010 which wasn't Golden Sun's most acclaimed game...but Isaac was there. Albeit all grown up and with an identical son in the form of Matthew.

Still he's bigger in the west than in Japan just like Little Mac and Ridley.
Neither of those were intentional size jokes.
Well, I guess it isn't impossible. I feel that Sakurai is really aiming towards countries other than Japan. And by other countries, I mean America.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't see Golden Sun as very likely. In fact I'd go so far as to remove Issac from my predictions. It was at the height of it's popularity and was fairly recent in Brawl when it missed out, and now it's less popular.

I don't think we'll see any IPs unless they are the most classic or promoted.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Eevee is a unique, important, and popular concept in Pokemon. (As is Eevee herself along with her forms)

Donkey Kong Jr. is one of the most memorable and classic Nintendo retros out there.

Take my responses with a grain of salt. The whole concept of who is the "Most Deserving Character that will never happen" is opinions covered by facts in the first place. Except Bomberman and Banjo. Seriously, nobody can argue with them. Eevee I definitely can definitely agree with. But I'm still iffy on Donkey Kong Jr. and Pichu, though.

Like, what is this in comparison to? Plenty of Pokemon that get more attention than Pichu within the Pokemon fandom (with Omanyte probably being the most popular unevolved Pokemon after Pikachu right now thanks to Twitch Plays Pokemon :troll:), while Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario all seem to be the most popular lost Melee veterans. I just don't see what niche Pichu has right now beyond those that really loved playing as him in Melee (which, judging by how he's second to last in Melee's tierlist, I can't imagine too many people did). Aside from not having a successor, Pichu literally seems as deserving as Young Link to me. Jr. likewise isn't a popular DK character compared to Dixie, K. Rool, and Cranky, nor is he particularly a major icon of the NES era compared to Balloon Fighter and the Duck Hunt Dog (not even going into confirmed character games or third-parties like Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Mega Man, and Castlevania).

I get it if this list is based on your opinion, but if it's based on the perception around others, I'd be much less prone to agreeing. Opinions I can't call wrong, but demographical claims like "most popular" make me want to see a source or something before I smile and nod to hearing Donkey Kong Jr. being one of the most popular NES characters. I've searched several online "Top Best"/"Most Popular"/"Best Selling" NES lists and I don't think I even found Donkey Kong Jr. once, actually...

Last edited:

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
Alright, here's a top ten list:

10. Pac-Man (Preferably the design from Pac-Man world 2).
9. Kat and Ana
8. Bowser Jr.
7. Chrom
6. Dillon
5. Mewtwo
4. The Prince of All Cosmos. A.K.A. the guy from Katamari Damacy
3. Ghirahim
2. 9-Volt
1. King K. Rool

This is mostly a want list, though.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
what is better, Fire emblem or Kid icarus???
What does this have to do with discussions pertaining to character predictions?

EDIT: Fret not. Considering you are new to this forum, I would strongly suggest reading through the entire guidelines; it would be helpfully insightful.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just popping up here to warn (or remind) you all that off-topic and spam posts are not tolerated in this thread.

@ Makaronileo Makaronileo : First of all, welcome to Smashboards. Please avoid derailing this thread with off-topic discussion. This thread is solely for character related discussion/speculation. To talk about Smash 4 overall, head to the social thread in the Smash 4 general discussion board.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

:D

Anyway I am still very upset that Waluigi wasn't the Mario choice and got ripped off over Rosalina :p. love his Smash 4 look. Still the best Mario character.

As for the social thread, I have only been there like once or twice.
Take my responses with a grain of salt. The whole concept of who is the "Most Deserving Character that will never happen" is opinions covered by facts in the first place. Except Bomberman and Banjo. Seriously, nobody can argue with them. Eevee I definitely can definitely agree with. But I'm still iffy on Donkey Kong Jr. and Pichu, though.

Like, what is this in comparison to? Plenty of Pokemon that get more attention than Pichu within the Pokemon fandom (with Omanyte probably being the most popular unevolved Pokemon after Pikachu right now thanks to Twitch Plays Pokemon :troll:), while Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario all seem to be the most popular lost Melee veterans. I just don't see what niche Pichu has right now beyond those that really loved playing as him in Melee (which, judging by how he's second to last in Melee's tierlist, I can't imagine too many people did). Aside from not having a successor, Pichu literally seems as deserving as Young Link to me. Jr. likewise isn't a popular DK character compared to Dixie, K. Rool, and Cranky, nor is he particularly a major icon of the NES era compared to Balloon Fighter and the Duck Hunt Dog (not even going into confirmed character games or third-parties like Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Mega Man, and Castlevania).

I get it if this list is based on your opinion, but if it's based on the perception around others, I'd be much less prone to agreeing. Opinions I can't call wrong, but demographical claims like "most popular" make me want to see a source or something before I smile and nod to hearing Donkey Kong Jr. being one of the most popular NES characters. I've searched several online "Top Best"/"Most Popular"/"Best Selling" NES lists and I don't think I even found Donkey Kong Jr. once, actually...
:angry:

For a new topic: in terms of uniqueness who are the most unique "Other" and "Retro" characters? I

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd like to see someone from Pokemon Colosseum/XD Included..

Wes and Miror B for Assist Trophies
Wes sets up explosives around the stage and sets them off as he leaps off the stage
Miror B makes it rain with his slick moves, the drip down the screen magnifying views of the stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom