• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I still don't see why (people think that) Sakurai would ignore Awakening and bring Roy back.
Because Roy is a popular veteran with 2 appearances (one as a cameo in a game starring a character directly based off of him.)

I understand wanting a character really bad, and obviously everyone's entitled to want who they want, but Roy seems like a fairly lost cause.
Because it's only about characters from the beginning or muh recent. No in between. Should cut Ike.

Besides, Project M did him more justice than Smash 4 ever would.
:joyful:
If you consider butchered characters and missing stages "justice"

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Does it make sense to bring Mewtwo back and not add any new pokemon from the new generations?
Well... yeah, actually. Mewtwo is kind of a big mascot for the latest generation of Pokemon games due to the introduction of the Mega Evolution concept, which he gets two of. So that's something Mewtwo has that Roy lacks; recent importance to his series.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Krystal or Tetra? anyone?
Both are highly plausible additions to franchises that aren't guaranteed to get a new slot. If those franchises were to, however, they'd likely be the next ones of their franchises added for different reasons. I'd certainly accept either, despite my dislike for Krystal.

Also, I see an arguement is brewing. Take this elsewhere, please, before a staff member decides to use infractions and warnings.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Does it make sense to bring Mewtwo back and not add any new pokemon from the new generations?
Mewtwo was actually a unique character. Whereas Roy wasn't. So I would say Mewtwo has some kind of priority.

Sakurai himself stated that if Mewtwo returned no 6th Generation Pokemon would be playable at E3.
He did? I don't remember that. Well that's interesting. I wonder if Mewtwo would get one of it's transformations though.

Krystal would be ok. But there's a bunch of different characters I would want instead.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Both are highly plausible additions to franchises that aren't guaranteed to get a new slot.
Would not agree. I don't think Krystal even has a chance. Tetra is way more deserving, unique, and likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
He did? I don't remember that. Well that's interesting. I wonder if Mewtwo would get one of it's transformations though.
He actually did. Though it will take me a few minutes to locate a quote.
Game Freak and the Pokemon Company would likely persuade Sakurai to use a Mega Evolution. The next movie is about Mega Evolution and Diance. Mewtwo has two powerful Mega Evolutions. I'm fairly sure they'd add a Mega Evolution for a Final Smash instead of Psystrike.

Would not agree. I don't think Krystal even has a chance. Tetra is way more deserving, unique, and likely.
There's not really other competition in Star Fox, making her the most plausible addition Star Fox wise. Zelda is more likely to get that new slot, whereas Star Fox is not. I was not making a statement based on their chances induvidually, but the chances of the two franchises getting a new slot respectively.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I personally am not terribly fond of the idea of Krystal being on the roster, mostly due to the fact that I think Star Fox doesn't really need more representation, and there are other series (like Metroid and Donkey Kong) that I think out-prioritize Star Fox. Still, she's the best choice for that slot and could be a very unique, fun character. I don't think there's doubt about that.

Tetra is sort of in an opposite situation to Krystal. It's perfectly plausible for the Zelda series to receive a fifth rep, but there's a lot of debate as to what that rep would be and if there will be one at all. I actually really like the idea of Tetra as the fifth rep, and I think she's one of the more likely possibilities.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
He actually did not. I don't know where you're pulling this from.
The Developer Roundtable at E3 2013. Summary from IGN:
"During a Pokemon X & Y Developer Roundtable at E3 2013, Sakurai shouted out that he is thinking about including Mewtwo's newest form into the video game, if he returns as a playable character, for he has also said that Generation 6 Pokemon will be included from Poké Balls, as Xerneas was shown in the October 18, 2013 Daily Update."
It was at this area where he not only stated Mewtwo's likely inclusion but the possible effect on other Pokemon from Kalos.

I'm gonna let this slide. There's been too many clone discussions.
Well, if you think Krystal isn't adequate, then what other options for Star Fox do you have in mind that are far more plausible? I request more than a simple claim regarding discussions on possible clones.(Serious Question)
And anyone actually can be a clone if Sakurai desires to do so, not really us.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, if you think Krystal isn't adequate, then what other options for Star Fox do you have in mind that are far more plausible?

I think the best option is this guy:
nobody

I request more than a simple claim regarding discussions on possible clones.(Serious Question)
And anyone actually can be a clone if Sakurai desires to do so, not really us.
Like I said I really don't want to get into it because I've explained the clone thing like a million times the past 3 days. And Sakurai can give anyone a machine gun if he desires to do so.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
The Developer Roundtable at E3 2013. Summary from IGN:
"During a Pokemon X & Y Developer Roundtable at E3 2013, Sakurai shouted out that he is thinking about including Mewtwo's newest form into the video game, if he returns as a playable character, for he has also said that Generation 6 Pokemon will be included from Poké Balls, as Xerneas was shown in the October 18, 2013 Daily Update."
It was at this area where he not only stated Mewtwo's likely inclusion but the possible effect on other Pokemon from Kalos.
The sentence is a complete mess, but I'm pretty sure that he doesn't say that any Gen 6 Pokemon won't be playable if Mewtwo is. He just confirms that they will appear from Poke Balls. Unrelated to Mewtwo.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I am just saying why a blue-haired Marth named Chrom when you could have a red-haired Marth named Roy?
I'm not big on Fire Emblem, but I can try and guess. Chrom is more recent, so that's why some are pushing for him. And he comes from the most successful game in the series. At least in the west.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
nobody
I certainly agree with you here, but if there was to be a choice, I'm having trouble finding anyone else.

Like I said I really don't want to get into it because I've explained the clone thing like a million times the past 3 days. And Sakurai can give anyone a machine gun if he desires to do so.
I've observed your discussions. If you wish to not go through with it again, I will respect that. Better to have civilized discussion than war. :)
I'm not big on Fire Emblem, but I can try and guess. Chrom is more recent, so that's why some are pushing for him. And he comes from the most successful game in the series. At least in the west.
It's primarily Western Obsession. Because Awakening was just THAT popular, Sakurai will likely get a bit of persuasion to add an Awakening character. Even if it ends up being a Marth clone, we can't do anything about it.
The sentence is a complete mess, but I'm pretty sure that he doesn't say that any Gen 6 Pokemon won't be playable if Mewtwo is. He just confirms that they will appear from Poke Balls. Unrelated to Mewtwo.
I guess it's a tad interpretable. Then again, IGN's never been great at that stuff.
Though Mewtwo having a Mega Evolution and being featured so prominently is what makes me believe this will be the case anyways. Kanto Trainer is a unique mechanic/gimmick Sakurai is bound to keep, and Jigglypuff is just kind of iconic.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
nobody
He's talking about in the scenario we did get another Star Fox character. There's not much else left in there beyond Krystal. Unless, you know, we want to start digging at Slippy. Otherwise unless I misread him, nobody is saying Star Fox is likely to get another rep in the first place.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
He's talking about in the scenario we did get another Star Fox character. There's not much else left in there beyond Krystal. Unless, you know, we want to start digging at Slippy. Otherwise unless I misread him, nobody is saying Star Fox is likely to get another rep in the first place.
You didn't read me wrong. I don't think SF is likely to get bestowed yet another slot this time around. And please, I think we can all agree that Slippy should never be playable for at least 2 more Smash Games.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
@ Gunla Gunla

Here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34700/sakurai-considering-mewtwo-for-next-smash-bros-games

This tells how the Mewtwo thing went. He only commented that he's thinking about including Mewtwo as a playable character. Nothing about other Gen 6 Pokemon. The IGN quote you posted seems to combine later info with the the Developer roundtable stuff. I mean it talks about Xerneas being confirmed as Poke Ball in October. Quite a while after E3.
...I see. Freaking IGN. Apologies. :facepalm:
Very well then, though on another point... whether it is confirmed or not, I doubt we'll get a Kalos Pokemon if we manage to get Mewtwo with a Mega Evolution. Further on, there's Lucario too, and I think Pokemon is above that level of recency overkill.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He actually did not. I don't know where you're pulling this from.
I don't think so either. He did say Mewtwo "may be" in the game. Also, I wonder why we got Lucario before PT? I pray it's because we're getting Jiggs/KalosTrainer/Mewtwo as hidden characters.

Slippy used to scare me a lot, prior to seeing all the newcomers because I know Sakurai loves SF64, something Krystal isn't in (obviously). But she's got a pretty big fan base, and her uniqueness sort of comes more naturally than Slippy's would. I could see her being chosen over him for those two reasons.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Slippy used to scare me a lot, prior to seeing all the newcomers because I know Sakurai loves SF64, something Krystal isn't in (obviously). But she's got a pretty big fan base, and her uniqueness sort of comes more naturally than Slippy's would. I could see her being chosen over him for those two reasons.
I'm fairly sure Slippy Toad still freaks me out in Star Fox 64. And they deliberately have turned him into comic relief and far less of a fighter in later games, which doesn't really help his case for playability when he continually displays worsening combat potential in general.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think so either. He did say Mewtwo "may be" in the game. Also, I wonder why we got Lucario before PT? I pray it's because we're getting Jiggs/KalosTrainer/Mewtwo as hidden characters.
I would think that it would be because the Pokemon Trainer would take awhile to fully develop. What with being three characters + a background model.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's so cute how you haven't played Awakening and don't know a thing about its characters, yet argue about them constantly.
I actually own Awakening and play it alot.

It's your arrogant belief that your ridiculous and screwed up mindset is always correct that makes you think I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about if I disagree.

I can't really return the compliment that it's cute. It's just sad.

*sniff*

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
You know what I'd love to see, just once? An entire day without a single snarky, sarcastic, or aggressive comment.

It'd really change the atmosphere here, I'd say.

andimidna

Smash Master
I'd be all for Roy returning... If there weren't so many potential newcomers I liked more. I wouldn't be mad if Roy was included, but I would be disappointed if FE doesn't get anything new or unique. And I might end up disappointed, but I'm going to keep hoping for what I want to see.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Unlike Roy, Mewtwo actually has a massive fan following in his original series. The two can't really be compared.

Last edited:

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
Rosalina is the only Mario newcomer.
Waluigi and Toad were at once considered, but Waluigi remains an Assist Trophy, and Toad a move for Peach.
Bowser Junior, Paper Mario and Daisy were never considered. Bowser Junior was planned to be an Assist Trophy, but was scrapped.
Fawful is a new Mario Assist Trophy. He acts like Mr. Resetti, but will attack opponents at random.
Diddy Kong will be the next revealed veteran, to coincide with Tropical Freeze’s release date.
Diddy is paired with Dixie Kong as a tag-team, similar to Zelda and Sheik. Dixie has a separate moveset from Diddy, but it’s still being worked on.
King K. Rool is a newcomer, the heaviest character on the roster. He is powerful and can KO light characters with 2 good Smash Attacks. His final smash has him use the blunderbuss and fire cannonballs from the top of the screen while they fly in from the sides as well.
Gangplank Galleon is a stage.
There is a new Zelda character, although it’s kept a secret so far. The names heard most often are Tingle and Ghirahim.
Ganondorf will be buffed, although he still retains some of C. Falcon’s moves. He can equip a sword using his Down Special.
Chrom is a Fire Emblem necomer. He wields the Falchion, and does not replace Ike.
Chrom is expected to be revealed to celebrate the anniversary of the first Fire Emblem.Lyn’s Assist Trophy from Brawl has been scrapped.
King Gangrel and Aversa are the new Fire Emblem Assist Trophy. Gangrel runs around slicing with his sword, while Aversa flies above using Aversa’s Night. They are the “unexpected” Assist Trophy.
No newcomers for Yoshi or Wario.
Wario’s overalls are now his default attire.
The Kat & Ana Assist Trophy has been scrapped.
Ashley from WarioWare is a new Assist Trophy.
Ridley is a newcomer, and is scaled down a bit. It was a major feat on the development team.No new Star Fox characters.
Falco is farther away from being a Fox clone.
Wolf is no longer a semi-clone.
Villager has a female costume.
Mr. Resetti returns as an Assist Trophy.
Tom Nook is a new Assist Trophy. He apparently drops bells across the stage, which causes opponents to trip. (Due to Sakurai saying tripping is removed, it’s unknown if forced tripping, like this and Diddy’s bananas will return, or if only accidental tripping is removed.)
Palutena is a newcomer, with her moves based directly off Uprising.Magnus is a new Assist Trophy, and acts similarly to Little Mac in Brawl.
All Pokemon veterans from Brawl return.
Mewtwo returns.
Mewtwo and Lucario have very different movesets.No new Kirby characters.
Meta Knight will be revealed sometime in the summer of 2014.No changes made to the EarthBound series.
All misc. characters return (Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Ice Climbers)
Little Mac is a newcomer. He has the look from the Punch-Out!! reboot for the Wii.
The Male Wii Fit Trainer is indeed an alt. for Wii Fit Trainer.
Wii Fit Trainer has a butt attack. It is replaced by a headbutt for the male costume.
King Hippo is an Assist Trophy.
The Ghosts from Luigi’s Mansion are an Assist Trophy.
Snake returns.
Pac-Man will be the final newcomer. He is a secret character.

This rumor is starting to look more true everyday.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong will be the next revealed veteran, to coincide with Tropical Freeze’s release date.
Diddy is paired with Dixie Kong as a tag-team, similar to Zelda and Sheik. Dixie has a separate moveset from Diddy, but it’s still being worked on.
This part seems still pretty unlikely though seeing as we've seen all of Diddy's specials(unless I'm mistaken).

If THIS part turns out to be true, I'll start considering it.

Nobody goes to a forum for atmosphere. :troll:
I know I come specifically for snarky, sarcastic and aggressive comments.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm gonna make a top 10 "Incredibly Deserving Characters that will forever miss out" video

There's so many characters who's lack of playability is insulting (disregarding their abilities). And we know (for the most part) they won't be playable. If I had to make a list of them it'd be this. (in no particular order)

10. Meowth
9. Toad
8. Eevee
7. Leif (Fire Emblem)
6. Paper Mario
5. Donkey Kong Jr.
4. Bomberman
3. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Balloon Fighter
1. Pichu

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Nobody goes to a forum for atmosphere. :troll:
We already did that, sure it was because of DDoS reasons but still =p
For real, though. I'd love to see a social experiment where the mods are allowed to go hyper-sensitive mode for one day and infract anyone who so much as even whispers a sentence unformatted to be usable in a major argumentative essay.

It'd certainly keep things objective, and would really filter out the difference between a good argument and a good arguer. I'd love to see a thread like that, if only for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom