• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I don't think it's any surprise by looking at Brawl's roster that it was lacking in females and villains. And with Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina (and assuming the Palutena leak is true) there's already going to be more females. This just leaves the villains, of which we haven't seen any. And as far as series that could have villains, that number dwindles even further. I'd expect them to announce one soon enough.
Same goes with Females as well. Sakurai has even said in one of PoTD that there are alot of female characters this time around. He's clearly addressing the issue that was in Brawl. Hopefully he acknowledges it this time around for the Villains as well.

My point was, while newcomers are exciting, there isn't a lot to choose from this time around that would be considered very warranted or needed (barring maybe some retros and 3rd parties.) There needs to be a focus on improving what we already have. A fighting game with a roster of 35 with no added DLC (going to be more this time) is pretty big. It becoming close to the maximum, so the focus shouldn't be on adding new characters that would just represent fresh faces, but rather focus on what makes these characters unique. I mean, Falco and Ganondorf need some reworking still, balancing needs to be performed on characters (both buffing and nerfing) that was seriously lacking in Brawl, and another thing people seem to forget is that new moves may be added to every character. In Melee, we got side specials, in Brawl we got Final Smashes, whos to say we wont get something similar to that SSB4? Looking at Little Mac, he has a KO meter that goes up with time (Im not sure how it works) but whats stopping Sakurai from implementing something similar to other characters?

Im thinking something similar to what Injustice: Gods Among Us did. Every character has a special meter that functions in a different way, whether it be batarangs, invincibility, laser vision, and the like, it could be done for Smash as well. I mean, Lucario could just have his Aura meter show up on the bottom just to illustrate how powerful he is with respect to his stamina. Link could integrate a stamina bar reminiscent of Skyward Sword, Cpt. Falcon could have a speed meter (the more he moves, the more he gains power, for example) King Dedede could have his next side special show up as a little icon next to his portrait (dee, doo or spiky thing) I mean, this is of course just speculation, but it could make every character seem very different from what they were before, and we saw it on Little Mac, so it wouldnt be impossible.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only reason Pokemon has 6 is the Pokemon Trainer, but that's besides the point. Really, the scenario is different this time. We're focusing on unique newcomers, (which I think a lot of people look at the wrong way as it is), and the amount we're getting is going to be limited. So, if Mario were to get 2, Pokemon got Mewtwo, and then say Donkey Kong were to get 2, that's already 5 newcomers focusing on veteran series when Sakurai has explicitly said something along the lines of wanting to add more new series, which I believe is plausible considering the amount of series that are capable of getting added.

I mean look at the most popular newcomers. We have Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo...combine that with Rosalina, and that's all pre-represented series getting new guys. That's pretty good if you ask me. Throw in a Fire Emblem character, and you've added onto 6 veteran series. Where is the line drawn? In my opinion, that's all we need for veteran series. Other series don't really need much else.
How Sakurai will represent the new franchises can be rather tricky to figure out though, since he may only reference them through items or Assist Trophies, much like what he did with the Steel Diver.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I didn't think that Waluigi being recomfirmed as an assist would cause this much debate. But it's good to have the thread be active. And to have something to talk about. But I'm sure we can have something to talk about outside of the negative. Mostly that Yoshi's new game is coming out in March, so perhaps he'll be shown off then. We do have rumors about a "Year of Yoshi". Which should be cool if they manage to do something with it. Maybe some DLC for Mario 3D world. That'd be awesome. If you could play as Yoshi that is.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Be sure to not breakdown when the rest of the plausible Mario candidates get deconfirmed. :p
At this point in time, Bowser Jr. is pretty much all that's left. If he's confirmed to be playable, or ends up like Waluigi, then THAT will be game, set, and match for the Mario franchise representation.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I didn't think that Waluigi being recomfirmed as an assist would cause this much debate. But it's good to have the thread be active. And to have something to talk about. But I'm sure we can have something to talk about outside of the negative. Mostly that Yoshi's new game is coming out in March, so perhaps he'll be shown off then. We do have rumors about a "Year of Yoshi". Which should be cool if they manage to do something with it. Maybe some DLC for Mario 3D world. That'd be awesome. If you could play as Yoshi that is.
That would be pretty awesome.

I'm still confused why people are so upset about Waluigi. I mean, was there really that much surprise? We kind of expected this...

I think at the very least Sakurai had considered him to be playable, like alot of the assist trophies in Brawl. We see Little Mac as playable now, and there is alot of candidates that are possible to be upgraded as well.

Speaking of which, who do you guys think could be promoted from an AT to playable this time around, and who do you want?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
No series already represented in Smash needs more newcomers to be adequately represented, not even Donkey Kong or Metroid.
This. New characters are usually a more delicious bit. Honestly, I don't mind not getting every supporting character at once - it gives content for the future, as sad as that is to say.

Staarih

Smash Master
Speaking of which, who do you guys think could be promoted from an AT to playable this time around, and who do you want?
I'm thinking Isaac has the best shot, and that's what I personally want as well. All the other assist trophies are good as they are.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
This. New characters are usually a more delicious bit. Honestly, I don't mind not getting every supporting character at once - it gives content for the future, as sad as that is to say.
We've had 4 newcomers from unrepresented franchises to 1 from a represented franchise so far, and I hope that trend continues. Now that Brawl filled out the rosters of every already-represented franchise still lacking in reps, SSB4 presents the perfect opportunity to reach out and include more protagonists from unrepresented series rather than supporting characters from already-represented series.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
At this point in time, Bowser Jr. is pretty much all that's left. If he's confirmed to be playable, or ends up like Waluigi, then THAT will be game, set, and match for the Mario franchise representation.
I would agree with that. The only exception would possibly be Paper Mario. Who could get some kind of larger role than normal trophy, maybe. But some would say he could represent his own series.

That would be pretty awesome.

I'm still confused why people are so upset about Waluigi. I mean, was there really that much surprise? We kind of expected this...

I think at the very least Sakurai had considered him to be playable, like alot of the assist trophies in Brawl. We see Little Mac as playable now, and there is alot of candidates that are possible to be upgraded as well.

I would mostly want Isaac to be upgraded to playable character status. I feel like he has enough to offer as a character. But Saki and Ray aren't too terrible of choices either, so I'd like to see them. Honestly I sometimes forget that Little Mac was an Assist, I never came across him that often. But he's far better off as a playable fighter. Kind of feel like he could have been a retro choice during the Melee days. But I guess he didn't count due to Super Punch-Out!!.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
We've had 4 newcomers from unrepresented franchises to 1 from a represented franchise so far, and I hope that trend continues. Now that Brawl filled out the rosters of every already-represented franchise still lacking in reps, SSB4 presents the perfect opportunity to reach out and include more protagonists from unrepresented series rather than supporting characters from already-represented series.
I'm honestly okay with that. It'll give Smash 5 more room to pick from for supporting characters, and as much as people don't like to admit it, many characters are find*

* = When I say fine I mean for this installment.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Personally, I don't think he has enough unique options for Mario could have a 6th character. It's best if you left the series alone.
I guess Dixie Kong should be taken out of the picture then, because she lacks much creativity outside of her ponytail; she even copied Diddy's Peanut Popgun.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Bowser Jr. is an interesting case, because he has great moveset potential but would also fit well as an AT.

As an AT he could, for example, use the Koopa Clown Car and throw bob-ombs at the arena.

As a playable character, he could have the Magic Paintbrush, Koopa Clown Car, throwing Koopa shells etc.

Personally I'd love to see him become playable. He is pretty much the most important Mario character after the main four and I like his possibilities for a moveset.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Wolf managed to be as different as he is from Fox. And he's a character without having much to work with. I don't see why Dixie can't be on a similar level. The ponytail is something. Not the greatest thing ever, but it's something to say the least.

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 : I guess at this point, you simply can't make everyone happy, and there will always be those who will bash you for supporting a certain character.
Yeah, that goes without saying most of the time. But it's no big deal. So long as no one is personally attacked.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Knight Dude Knight Dude : This is pretty much what I'm getting at with Bowser Jr. He could use his magic brush for all of his standard attacks, and if the brush damages anyone, it'll leave behind damaging graffiti that washes off after a few seconds. Even Bowser Jr.'s special moves could focus on the magic brush alone, firing paint balls, and even leaving behind a slippery trail of graffiti that damages and slows down anyone who comes into contact with the graffiti.

As for the Final Smash, Bowser Jr. could get into his personal Koopa Clown Car, and use his graffiti artillery while riding in it.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Wolf managed to be as different as he is from Fox. And he's a character without having much to work with. I don't see why Dixie can't be on a similar level. The ponytail is something. Not the greatest thing ever, but it's something to say the least.
Thats the way I feel about it. It's just that compared to K Rool, she doesn't have as much potential to be unique

Its the same way I feel about FE. Chrom could certainly be unique, it's just that there are other characters, like Robin or even Anna, have more potential to be unique.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Bowser is not going to get the Clown Car as his Final Smash (if they change it), then Bowser Jr. should use the vehicle along with the bombs as an AT. Good idea.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Thats the way I feel about it. It's just that compared to K Rool, she doesn't have as much potential to be unique

Its the same way I feel about FE. Chrom could certainly be unique, it's just that there are other characters, like Robin or even Anna, have more potential to be unique.
Yeah. I would agree. I think people underestimate Dixie a little. This might have to do with K. Rool being more popular and having more to offer as a character. Even I would prefer the King over Dixie. But I still see her as a solid choice. So long as whatever unique qualities she has are taken advantage of. Which would mostly be fighting with her hair. But I'm sure someone could use some more obscure weapons of her arsenal.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Yeah. I would agree. I think people underestimate Dixie a little. This might have to do with K. Rool being more popular and having more to offer as a character. Even I would prefer the King over Dixie. But I still see her as a solid choice. So long as whatever unique qualities she has are taken advantage of. Which would mostly be fighting with her hair. But I'm sure someone could use some more obscure weapons of her arsenal.
There is also the possibility of both being added, but it really depends on how Sakurai views DKC in importance. IMO, they could have 4 characters and I doubt there would be much backlash, and that would be the best way to round out the series: Main protagonist, sidekick, female, and villain. We've seen 2 characters added to Kirby in Brawl, I don't see why not.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Did some people honestly not expect a Waluigi deconfirmation at some point?

I mean, maybe I just don't understand the Waluigi fanbase. He has a cool character design, sure - but that's practically all he has going for him. His abilities are incredibly fluid and basically just change to fit whatever sports outing he's in. In that sense, I'd almost suggest that many people supported Waluigi not just for his visual design but for the fact he had a relatively blank slate, so to speak, when it came to movesets.

There have been plenty of blank-slate characters in Smash before (Captain Falcon comes to mind) but honestly, with the care and attention Sakurai is paying to characterization and uniqueness in this Smash, I can see less of those kinds of characters happening.

I'm just rambling now i'll stop--

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Hey everyone. I'm new to SmashBoards, but I have been lurking around since Pre-Brawl. Anyway, today's PotD had me thinking about the Mario Bros. franchise. Since Rosalina & Luma have been revealed so early, do we really think that there will be no new Mario characters? It's hard for me to believe that Sakurai would reveal the final character for that franchise so early, but I guess it is possible. Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario are the two main ones that I hear the most, which I would be happy with. Rosalina seemed to have come from no where, but looks really unique. The only other Mario character that I could think of that would be more surprising than her is Geno from SMRPG. But is he really that realistic of a choice?

And I hope that I'm contributing. I have seen a lot of arguments on this site, and just want to talk to everyone about this game. This, to me, is the most exciting part. The analyzing of every little detail we hear. And, characters are what make the game.

I posted this moments ago in the General Discussion Thread thinking it was the Character Discussion Thread. :facepalm:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
She could attack with bubblegum. :awesome:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey everyone. I'm new to SmashBoards, but I have been lurking around since Pre-Brawl. Anyway, today's PotD had me thinking about the Mario Bros. franchise. Since Rosalina & Luma have been revealed so early, do we really think that there will be no new Mario characters? It's hard for me to believe that Sakurai would reveal the final character for that franchise so early, but I guess it is possible. Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario are the two main ones that I hear the most, which I would be happy with. Rosalina seemed to have come from no where, but looks really unique. The only other Mario character that I could think of that would be more surprising than her is Geno from SMRPG. But is he really that realistic of a choice?

And I hope that I'm contributing. I have seen a lot of arguments on this site, and just want to talk to everyone about this game. This, to me, is the most exciting part. The analyzing of every little detail we hear. And, characters are what make the game.

I posted this moments ago in the General Discussion Thread thinking it was the Character Discussion Thread. :facepalm:
Welcome to Smash Boards. I can understand the sentiment about having an "ace in the hole" when it came to Mario characters. Seeing a new character so soon might say something about events to come. Though I personally have my own doubts on that. I would agree that Geno isn't the most realistic choice around. I feel that Rosalina's inclusion doesn't say much about other Mario characters directly, other than she might be the last one for a while. But she could be good news for older series in general. For all we know, Metroid, Zelda, or Donkey Kong could get some fresh blood this installment.

It's good to have another opinion around here. But of course, sometimes we tend to disagree with each other, so there's bound to arguments. It's for the best if we try and be civil without taking our disagreements to heart.

andimidna

Smash Master
I will make an analysis to see how many newcomers each series deserve:

Mario only needed one and got it.

DK deserves four characters, and is very likely to get four.

Zelda deserves a newcomer but one isn't really needed. Just declone Ganondorf and it is OK.

Metroid is in desesperate need of a newcomer.

Kirby deserves four but is okay with the Brawl characters alone.

Pokémon could have a newcomer but Brawl characters + Mewtwo is OK.

Fire Emblem deserves 3 at most, and even 3 is pushing it a little.

F Zero could use a newcomer.

Other series unmentioned here don't deserve a newcomer.
I would have liked this up until you said 3 FE characters was pushing it.
There was supposed to be 3 in Brawl.
After Awakening, I'm betting on 4.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Welcome to Smash Boards. I can understand the sentiment about having an "ace in the hole" when it came to Mario characters. Seeing a new character so soon might say something about events to come. Though I personally have my own doubts on that. I would agree that Geno isn't the most realistic choice around. I feel that Rosalina's inclusion doesn't say much about other Mario characters directly, other than she might be the last one for a while. But she could be good news for older series in general. For all we know, Metroid, Zelda, or Donkey Kong could get some fresh blood this installment.

It's good to have another opinion around here. But of course, sometimes we tend to disagree with each other, so there's bound to arguments. It's for the best if we try and be civil without taking our disagreements to heart.
Thanks for the welcome. And, I know what you mean. Different opinions happen, lol. But, I guess I just have it in my mind that the Mario series wouldn't be "done" with so quickly. The other series definitely need reps prior to Mario. Hopefully, Sakurai will go by popularity. We know he can make any character unique.

?????????????

Smash Master
Four Fire Emblem characters isn't completely out of the question. Just looking at the series, it's been around since NES, it's had a consistent number of game releases, and it has plenty of good characters to add.

That's more than I can say for Star Fox, which already has three.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Four Fire Emblem characters isn't completely out of the question. Just looking at the series, it's been around since NES, it's had a consistent number of game releases, and it has plenty of good characters to add.

That's more than I can say for Star Fox, which already has three.
Can we not use number of games? It doesn't go anywhere ever. (Also FE was intended to have three anyways)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom