• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I would prefer Bowser Jr. to not be anywhere near the game, but I expect he would get a trophy.

Waluigi was the only option, and now that's gone. It was crazy to think we would get anyone else after Rosalina anyway.
If only Waluigi had been in the Wario games, why do you neglect him so, Nintendo?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Rosalina was made into a great pick by sakurai but Im still hoping to get paintbrush Bowser Jr. even though it seems unlikely now.

I woke up at 6:45 to get ready for school, but it wasn't my alarm that woke me up. It was the sound of the breaking hearts of Waluigi fans.
So you heard a combination of very loud WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA's

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If I'm being honest, pretty much any Mario character was shot down by Rosalina.

Mario isn't, or the very least shouldn't be expected to have a 6th character.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Waluigi's not in SSB4. That's ****ing great. One of my most requested characters down the drain. And instead, we get Rosalina and the damn Fit Trainer.

I just don`t want to live on this planet anymore.

Staarih

Smash Master
If we do get a 6th Mario character, the Waluigi-supporters will be even more butthurt - even if it was Paper Mario or someone else who could represent their own series.
...is it bad if I still want it to happen? (Paper Mario plz!)

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
If we do get a 6th Mario character, the Waluigi-supporters will be even more butthurt - even if it was Paper Mario or someone else who could represent their own series.
...is it bad if I still want it to happen? (Paper Mario plz!)
Honestly Paper Mario isn't bad to want; yes we've got not as many newcomers as Brawl, but representing the most games possible is something that matters to me. The Mario RPG's are severely underrated in Smash - We don't even have music from it! Why shouldn't they be represented in smash?

I'm slowly falling in love with the idea of paper mario again.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Whether or not Paper Mario is playable, I highly suspect our only answers will be given upon the imminent arrival of Super Smash Brothers Wii U and 3DS by the end of the year (or the roster selection is leaked just beforehand). If Paper Mario is thus implemented as such, then more-than-likely he would best serve as a secretive character yet to be revealed. If Paper Mario is not, then besides Rosalina's confirmation severely restricting the competition, what other form of medium would indicate a disconfirmation (I highly doubt Paper Mario would be shown off as a background element of a stage or be relegated in a supporting role of an Assist Trophy)?

Whatever happens, a long succession of time would have to pass before an undeniably 100% unmistakable confirmation of Paper Mario's functionality.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Waluigi's not in SSB4. That's ****ing great. One of my most requested characters down the drain. And instead, we get Rosalina and the damn Fit Trainer.

I just don`t want to live on this planet anymore.
Honestly, Rosalina has a lot more reason to be in as a Mario rep than Waluigi. It sucks getting a character you want deconfirmed, but he just doesn't mean anything to mainline Mario.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly, Rosalina has a lot more reason to be in as a Mario rep than Waluigi. It sucks getting a character you want deconfirmed, but he just doesn't mean anything to mainline Mario.
No she doesn`t. Just because she was prominent in one major title doesn`t mean she could just overshadow WLuigi like that. Of courese, they never even gave WLuigi a chance to have his own game and hence the reason why people hate him.

And before anyone uses the "Oh Waluigi is a copy of Wario" excuse, keep in mind that Rosalina is more of a carbon copy to Peach than Waluigi is to Wario. At least Waluigi is different when it comes to height, weight, and physical appearance.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Although I would have been fine with Waluigi's inclusion as a playable character, none of my serious rosters ever included him. That being said, I don't think this says so much about the possibility of further Mario characters or any characters, so much as it says something about how Sakurai and the development team are thinking about Assist Trophies. We already have two straight from Brawl, and one that was just changed aesthetically. The others are new and exciting, but not all that surprising. And then also Little Mac was promoted.

The only characters that were previous assist trophies that could have even been considered for the jump to playable were Mac, Waluigi, Goroh, Lyn, Saki, Ray, Isaac, Tingle and maybe Starfy. And I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one other.

Waluigi as an Assist yet again means that they were willing to give more of the same in some areas, and Little Mac's jump means they were willing to explore him further. If Waluigi were never an assist trophy, I think his disconfirmation today and Rosalina's confirmation would mean certain death for other Mario characters and would create a narrower outlook for your Ridleys and K.Rools and Shulks. Honestly though, I don't think today's update changes anything.

I still think Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. have the same chances still today that they had yesterday. I feel the same about Isaac and Tingle.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
No she doesn`t. Just because she was prominent in one major title doesn`t mean she could just overshadow WLuigi like that. Of courese, they never even gave WLuigi a chance to have his own game and hence the reason why people hate him.

And before anyone uses the "Oh Waluigi is a copy of Wario" excuse, keep in mind that Rosalina is more of a carbon copy to Peach than Waluigi is to Wario. At least Waluigi is different when it comes to height, weight, and physical appearance.
Waluigi has never appeared in a mainline Mario game, while Rosalina has appeared in 3, 2 of which she played a prominent role in, including being playable in one.
She's more important to the mainline Mario series by default.

She's also representative of two of Nintendo's all-time most popular and best-received games, the Galaxy series.

I have nothing against Waluigi, but he really never had much of a chance to appear as a Mario rep due to his presence in solely the spinoff games.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Waluigi has never appeared in a mainline Mario game, while Rosalina has appeared in 3, 2 of which she played a prominent role in, including being playable in one.
She's more important to the mainline Mario series by default.

She's also representative of two of Nintendo's all-time most popular and best-received games, the Galaxy series.

I have nothing against Waluigi, but he really never had much of a chance to appear as a Mario rep due to his presence in solely the spinoff games.
Which is exactly my point. Waluigi was never given that chance to have his own game and shine. Or for that matter, actually have a prominent role in a major title. He always gets the shaft when it comes to things like that. Not to mention he`s been in the series longer. As far as the Galaxy series go, i`ve never been a big fan. Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine are much better IMO.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Which is exactly my point. Waluigi was never given that chance to have his own game and shine. Or for that matter, actually have a prominent role in a major title. He always gets the shaft when it comes to things like that. Not to mention he`s been in the series longer. As far as the Galaxy series go, i`ve never been a big fan. Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine are much better IMO.
Sure, but whether or not Waluigi was given a chance has no bearing on his status as a rep of mainline Mario. He was never given a chance, so he can't represent the mainline Mario series. Therefore, characters like Rosalina, Toad, Bowser Jr., etc, were much likelier than him.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Waluigi's deconfirmation was not that surprising.

Paper Mario can have a chance if he's considered his own series and Doc could be his own space, but other then that I agree.

Most series shouldn't have two newcomers a game period.
I think the only series that deserves two newcomers right now is DK.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Waluigi's deconfirmation was not that surprising.

I think the only series that deserves two newcomers right now is DK.
There's many series that can/deserve two newcomers, but the fact is they shouldn't all be poured at once; that was my point. I mean, heck, DK probably can even wait (and might be shafted again)

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good Morning all, hope you're all doing well. Sorry for being away for so long, but as of the last week or so, my time has been nothing but Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate...it's just that damn addicting. Anyways, I see Waluigi is back as an assist trophy, as to be expected, and of course the Miiverse is up in a riot about it. Is anyone even surprised at this point? I mean, it's Waluigi, what of all things would make him a playable character over the huge amount of characters the Mario series has to pick from? Besides, I like Rosalina's inclusion, as much as she seems to be taking shots now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This series has seen some series get multiple characters before though, even when you don't count the original on the N64. Melee had added two(technically three)Mario and Zelda characters. And Brawl added two Kirby characters, and technically four Pokemon characters.

So I'm not going to say that a single series can't get multiple characters to be playable, when it has happened in every installment in the series. The question should be which series would be lucky enough for that to happen. Still, not too sure what other Mario characters would make it in. Maybe Bowser Jr.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Rosalina is more of a carbon copy to Peach than Waluigi is to Wario.
Are you serious?

By the way, I don't think Waluigi fans should hate Rosalina or anybody else. I'm pretty sure if Rosalina didn't exist Waluigi still wouldn't be playable. She didn't take his place, he just didn't appeal to Sakurai.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
This series has seen some series get multiple characters before though, even when you don't count the original on the N64. Melee had added two(technically three)Mario and Zelda characters. And Brawl added two Kirby characters, and technically four Pokemon characters.
The circumstances are different this time around though. I mean, in melee Sakurai added six clones to help buff the roster. In Brawl, there was a substantial increase in the number of "necessary" characters, such as Wario, King Dedede, etc. This time around, its a little bit different. There's not as many potential, realistic newcomers.

Of course, this is just speculation, but there are a few series that can only add a few newcomers without scraping the bottom of the barrel. Alot of the time, it is villains that need to be added, as we only have 3 true villains at this point (Bowser, Ganondorf, Wolf, debatable Wario) This includes K Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo (again, debatable) who seem to be very highly requested among newcomers.

Some of the best ways to finish off some series is to add their respective villains, and considering that we haven't seen any villains revealed, and I practically consider Mewtwo a shoo-in at this point, I have a feeling that we'll be, at the very least, doubling our villains population this go around.

Sure some series have been given large numbers of newcomers in certain installments, but there's is not much to build on from this point, and bringing back veterans seems to be a priority this time as well. for the big series in melee (Mario and Zelda), they received all of their needed characters, and Dr Mario and YL were just filler. yes we have Rosalina in SSB4, but she rose in chance since the Brawl era. Zelda doesn't really need any more characters, but it is possible that Vaati, Tingle, Impa, or one of the one time villains are added as well.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I wouldn't have expected Waluigi regardless to Rosalina's reveal. I'd expect Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, King Boo, and Kamek to all be considered before him. Although its perfectly reasonable to be upset with a deconfirmation, don't say he should have been added over a character with consistent main roles on the Wii and Wii U just because he's been around longer. Rosalina is even getting into many of these spinoff games now too. She's been playable in all 4 Mario Karts since her debut, which includes Mario Kart 7, a game Waluigi wasn't in. So you can hope he's added in the next Smash Bros or hope for your other wanted characters in this one. Just don't talk poorly about additions like Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer. They are good additions.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The circumstances are different this time around though. I mean, in melee Sakurai added six clones to help buff the roster. In Brawl, there was a substantial increase in the number of "necessary" characters, such as Wario, King Dedede, etc. This time around, its a little bit different. There's not as many potential, realistic newcomers.

Of course, this is just speculation, but there are a few series that can only add a few newcomers without scraping the bottom of the barrel. Alot of the time, it is villains that need to be added, as we only have 3 true villains at this point (Bowser, Ganondorf, Wolf, debatable Wario) This includes K Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo (again, debatable) who seem to be very highly requested among newcomers.

Some of the best ways to finish off some series is to add their respective villains, and considering that we haven't seen any villains revealed, and I practically consider Mewtwo a shoo-in at this point, I have a feeling that we'll be, at the very least, doubling our villains population this go around.
I don't think it's any surprise by looking at Brawl's roster that it was lacking in females and villains. And with Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina (and assuming the Palutena leak is true) there's already going to be more females. This just leaves the villains, of which we haven't seen any. And as far as series that could have villains, that number dwindles even further. I'd expect them to announce one soon enough.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I will make an analysis to see how many newcomers each series deserve:

Mario only needed one and got it.

DK deserves four characters, and is very likely to get four.

Zelda deserves a newcomer but one isn't really needed. Just declone Ganondorf and it is OK.

Metroid is in desesperate need of a newcomer.

Kirby deserves four but is okay with the Brawl characters alone.

Pokémon could have a newcomer but Brawl characters + Mewtwo is OK.

Fire Emblem deserves 3 at most, and even 3 is pushing it a little.

F Zero could use a newcomer.

Other series unmentioned here don't deserve a newcomer.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Are you serious?

By the way, I don't think Waluigi fans should hate Rosalina or anybody else. I'm pretty sure if Rosalina didn't exist Waluigi still wouldn't be playable. She didn't take his place, he just didn't appeal to Sakurai.
Yes, I am serious. I don`t care if she`s in the game or not. What really irks me is that she`s in over WLuigi.

I made my point and I don`t want go over this again and again. Everyone has their opinions and I have mine.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

That's an interesting way to see it. I guess we could have quite a few villains added this time. Whether or not it's the popular choices of Ridley, Mewtwo and the like. I would agree that padding is no where as needed this time around. So we don't need any Pichu or Doctor Mario's added. But some characters might offer something interesting on their own merits, despite being from an already populated series. I personally think that Paper Mario or Bowser Jr could be other Mario characters to be added. But, I know that they aren't too likely as it is.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
The stage is from Super Mario Galaxy. It was going to happen. Her actual "home" stage would be the Comet Observatory (You know, the thing that pretty much follows her wherever she goes?), which it is not.
Starship Mario is Lubba's ship, not Rosalina's. If she was to appear in the background, it would be through the Comet Observatory. Either way I would have imagined her to be an Assist Trophy before a Background character.
Deepest? She owned the hub sure, but that was essentially it. She was barely even in SMG2, she is not the Super Guide and her sending letters could have easily been given to Peach again.
Bowser Junior certainly got much more focused screen time than Rosalina did, since she only got 3 actual cutscenes in the main storyline. He may have been "replaceable" but he certainly was much less "replaceable" than Rosalina was in Galaxy 2.
As I said, easily replaceable in the Galaxy 2. She didn't even need to be a part of the game at all and nothing would have changed.
Well considering you joined the forum AFTER she was revealed, I don't know if I can consider your source credible. I mean maybe where you hung out, sure. But things were different at Smashboards.
I'd say the "hints" were barely definitive to consider her a shoe-in, but I'll let you have your fun with the thought.

Also the Year of Luigi was created to celebrate Luigi's 30th Anniversary.

I'll edit this later and address every point. But for now, there's no way Rosalina's Comet Observatory could've been added as a stage to be her home stage.
1) It's not a round planet you can walk around, that is the main reason to add a Galaxy stage, it's potential to be unique that way.
2) the comet observatory seems like an obvious final smash for Rosalina

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If I'm being honest, pretty much any Mario character was shot down by Rosalina.

Mario isn't, or the very least shouldn't be expected to have a 6th character.
I still find it quite odd how people don't really care about the number of playable Pokemon in Brawl, and yet they'll start an outrage on the amount of playable Mario reps.

If Brawl didn't have Lucario, then asking for a 6th Mario rep would've been pointless. But seeing as Pokemon did have six different playables, seeing the Mario series have that many reps now is not as farfetched as people may think.

But I guess people tend to not count the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon as individuals, as they can't exactly stay in battle without having their attack power get weakened.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Yes, I am serious. I don`t care if she`s in the game or not. What really irks me is that she`s in over WLuigi.

I made my point and I don`t want go over this again and again. Everyone has their opinions and I have mine.
That's fine, I just think people should respect other characters. In the end, Sakurai's opinion counts more for his game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A character being included does not mean they ruined somebody else's chances.

Rosalina was chosen over other Mario characters. It's not like there was a lottery and Waluigi just happened to lose out.

I still find it quite odd how people don't really care about the number of playable Pokemon in Brawl, and yet they'll start an outrage on the amount of playable Mario reps.

If Brawl didn't have Lucario, then asking for a 6th Mario rep would've been pointless. But seeing as Pokemon did have six different playables, seeing the Mario series have that many reps now is not as farfetched as people may think.

But I guess people tend to not count the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon as individuals, as they can't exactly stay in battle without having their attack power get weakened.
The only reason Pokemon has 6 is the Pokemon Trainer, but that's besides the point. Really, the scenario is different this time. We're focusing on unique newcomers, (which I think a lot of people look at the wrong way as it is), and the amount we're getting is going to be limited. So, if Mario were to get 2, Pokemon got Mewtwo, and then say Donkey Kong were to get 2, that's already 5 newcomers focusing on veteran series when Sakurai has explicitly said something along the lines of wanting to add more new series, which I believe is plausible considering the amount of series that are capable of getting added.

I mean look at the most popular newcomers. We have Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo...combine that with Rosalina, and that's all pre-represented series getting new guys. That's pretty good if you ask me. Throw in a Fire Emblem character, and you've added onto 6 veteran series. Where is the line drawn? In my opinion, that's all we need for veteran series. Other series don't really need much else.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
No series already represented in Smash needs more newcomers to be adequately represented, not even Donkey Kong or Metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom