• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You wanna talk out that there anger, budd??
NO! He is a Jedi! Like his father before him!

Yeah, I don't really think Isaac has a big chance, either. It would be cool to see him in, but when's the last time we heard of him?
I don't know anybody who knows him outside the internet. I thought he was only popular because of Brawl.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's my top unique list, and personally I think these are the most diverse characters out of any potential newcomer.
1. Dr. Kawashima
2. Miis
3. Alph Brittany Charlie Trio
4. Zoroark
5. Shulk

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Well, I guess to start a new topic, list me 5 potential newcomers that could be very unique gameplay wise.
Villager, Megaman, Wii fit Trainer, Rosalina and Little Mac :troll:

In serious I would say
Robin and Chrom (With Robin being the main fighter using magic and Chrom helping with extra damage.)
Mickey Mouse (using magic from his sorcerer hat, a keyblade and a magic paint brush)
Dixie Kong and/or Cranky riding Rambi
Toad (lightweight heavy hitter with a large amount of Mario items)
and Banjo Kazooie

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Zoroark is the answer buddy.
Illusions haven't been done in Smash yet, and I feel it could potentially be alot of fun.
The concept of changing into other characters is already in Super Smash Bros. It's called "The Character Selection Screen".

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Illusionary attacks, not transforming.
The character could fake out many intimidating attacks that could keep the opponent keep guessing.
Besides if you transformed into the player, what good would it be if the opponent is after a dark fox, in a 1 vs. 1 match.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
See, I'm between Meowth and Genesect.
Meowth because overarching importance in the anime and all that.
Genesect because of the new movie.
Both have to do with the anime so don't give me that "the anime doesn't matter" crap. :p
If Jigglyuff got replaced, then definitely Meowth.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The concept of changing into other characters is already in Super Smash Bros. It's called "The Character Selection Screen".
I'm pretty sure you can't use "The Character Selection Screen" to change between characters during the middle of battle.

Unless there is some sort of Action Replay code I'm not aware of.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You know what, Saturn has a cool idea on characters that are unlikely to make the cut that are/were still deserving for Smash. My own list would go something like this:

5. Lief (Almost made the cut in Melee, but managed to get robbed of his chances by Roy and his ph1r3.)
4. Balloon Fighter (Star of an NES classic which seems to have been passed over by Sakurai. Now just referenced as a move.)
3. Bomberman (Not higher because of his third party status, but definitely a Nintendo icon from the 64 era.)
2. Meowth (Best shot was all the way back in 64, when Jigglypuff was added over him.)
1. Banjo and Kazooie (nuff said)

Notable mentions go to Toad. Not included because he may make it in a later Smash Bros. iteration, unlike these other characters.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Unique characters that will never make the cut?
  1. Banjo-Kazooie: Easily the most diverse and deserving option, though sadly dead and buried by M$.
  2. Rayman: If having no limbs wasn't unique enough, he has helicopter hair, energy shots, a wind-up, long ranged punch, among other things. Sadly third party.
  3. Happy Mask Salesman: People love the idea of a masked Link, but why have three Links when you can have the masks alongside a unique character and then some? Sadly isn't a major reoccurring character, and wasn't even as popular as the Skull Kid.
  4. Goodra: It's bothersome that people still bring up Zoroark as the "new" Pokemon rep. Gen five is long gone, and we know gen six will be in Smash already. We probably won't get a Pokemon newcomer at all, but Goodra would be the ideal choice. Plus it's a goddamn goo dragon.
Couldn't think of a fifth one, maybe I'm just too picky.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Illusionary attacks, not transforming.
The character could fake out many intimidating attacks that could keep the opponent keep guessing.
Besides if you transformed into the player, what good would it be if the opponent is after a dark fox, in a 1 vs. 1 match.
That simply doesn't work. You can't keep fooling characters with that. Competitive people will figure out all the tricks and no longer be fooled. Same with just casual players.

Gune

Smash Lord
6th Pokemon Rep should be Chuck, Gen II's Fighting Gym Leader.

The dude ****ing spars with his Pokemon. Guy's a beast.
Does that mean you also support maylene? She spars with her pokemon on a daily basis.

Ideal 6th pokemon? Hmmm.... I guess I'll give Zoroark a bit of recognition.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, if we're talking about a good 6th Pokemon rep... Well, I think Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer (Kanto, mind you), Lucario, and Mewtwo would need to be in there first. I think they take top priority over any other possible addition.

So as to what that theoretical 6th rep could be, that's rather tricky. I might say Meowth, though his presence outside of the anime is rather weak at this point. I think he would have made perfect sense as the second Pokemon rep in the original game, but at this point... I'm just going to say that the fact that it's literally impossible to catch a Meowth in X and Y without the use of PokeBank says something. Zoroark makes a lot of sense as a 5th gen representative, and he'd certainly be unique, but I don't think he quite matches up to Lucario in terms of being an icon of the series. Another Trainer could work, but I don't think any of them match up to the original one.

...Picking a 6th Pokemon rep is hard...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That simply doesn't work. You can't keep fooling characters with that. Competitive people will figure out all the tricks and no longer be fooled. Same with just casual players.
You can say that for every single character.

Let's scrap Ice Climbers because everyone figured out the threat of chain grabbing.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
Truthfully, I don't think we need any new Pokemon reps. I do think Mewtwo and Jigglypuff will come back, and Lucario and Pikachu were announced. I would want a new Pokemon trainer, if anything.

CalumG

Smash Lord
For a 6th gen rep I'd choose Hawlucha or Goodra. Maybe Pangoro.
Love the idea of Hawlucha.

Likelihood be damned, Hawlucha is powerful, he's become the underdog fan-favourite of Gen VI and he definitely fits Sakurai's criteria of 'uniqueness'. Mexican wrestling with bird features (multi-jumps like Kirby)? You can't make that stuff up.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Where is everyone?
Let's talk Pokémon.
Who is the ideal 6th rep if Pokémon was to get one?
Zoroark, Kalos Trainer, Genesect, Meowth, the list goes on. I'd rather not have two trainers though, so if Kalos didn't replace Kanto, than pick one of the Gen V mons.

Also, "He has absolutely no problem fitting in!"

Little Mac #2?

D

Deleted member

And Donkey Kong could throw DSes and 3DSes at foes. You know, since he uses them as an idle animation, too.
Except Dixie kind of does attack people with bubble gum in Tropical Freeze. But as gumballs, not pre-chewed gun. :troll:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Zoroark, Kalos Trainer, Genesect, Meowth, the list goes on. I'd rather not have two trainers though, so if Kalos didn't replace Kanto, than pick one of the Gen V mons.

Also, "He has absolutely no problem fitting in!"

Little Mac #2?
I would prefer Issac over Saki, but I wouldn't complain if he makes it.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
A second Pokemon Trainer with Greninja, Braixen, and Chespin. That would really make my day.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Alakazam is my favourite Pokemon of all time, but with Mewtwo around he's pretty redundant.

Meowth would be great but again; missed chance. Blaziken would be great if we got Gen 3 remakes, but again; missed chance. Eevee is very popular but to be a transformation character with 8 evolved forms is a messy ability and would need to be wittled down considerably to work. Genesect and Zoroark are popular choices but I can't say either get me really excited. A secondary Pokemon Trainer could be fine, but I'm iffy about taking another character's unique gimmick and copying it, hence why I'm not a fan of duo mechanics.

Overall I'd go Meowth just because of the sheer fame, rivalry to Pikachu(mouse vs. cat, Number 25 vs. number 52, the Anime obviously) and personal bias.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Except Dixie kind of does attack people with bubble gum in Tropical Freeze. But as gumballs, not pre-chewed gun. :troll:
Yes, with the pellet gun made as a reference to her chewing gum, not with literal floating spheres of chewed gum ripped from an idle animation. If Dixie's alleged uniqueness is in her hair, her specials ought to reflect that, rather than making her out to be some sort of projectile user she's not, especially when she's already hopelessly, hilariously outgunned (pun intended) as a contender for the niche of "projectile-heavy DK newcomer."

Before it comes up...the above analysis does not constitute "picking on" Dixie. It constitutes eyerolling at the extend to which insignificant aspects of the character are blown out of proportion (pun also intended) in her various movesets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom