• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hypothetical question (which may have been asked countless times already):

Brawl's one-of-a-kind Pokemon Trainer constitutes three different move-sets, each with their own unique attributable qualities. Considering the Pokemon Trainer is one of the most common copy-and-paste cuts within the "prophetic" circles of Super Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS predictions (or at least implement Charizard as a standalone character) because of its multiple move-sets, it strikes itself an imposing question:
would a noticeable amount of the Smash Brothers fan-base (or certain subsets of it) favorably preferred the time allocated to three separately-individualized characters (for instance, Isaac or Goroh) instead of the Pokemon Trainer, given time constraints?
That's a rather tricky question. I'm sure the answers will probably vary quite a bit from one individual to the next. My guess is that Pokemon fans may prefer the Pokemon Trainer over three characters from different franchises, while people who don't care for Pokemon, or people who hated the Trainer in Brawl, would prefer three new characters.

Personally, I'm a fan of Pokemon. And I loved the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, even if he did have some notable flaws. He represents the series in a way that other Pokemon characters can't, and I'd hate to see that taken away.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. The amount of time spent working on any character does not correlate to time that could have been spent working on other characters. Take the comment Sakurai made on Lucario, for instance. "Without the hard work of our staff, he probably wouldn't have been playable in Brawl." I'm not saying the whole "priority" thing matters, but if Sakurai wants a character, then they'll put in the time/effort for them.

Additionally there's no way we would know whether or not there is a thing such as "spots" on the roster that can be taken or given.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

Brawl's one-of-a-kind Pokemon Trainer constitutes three different move-sets, each with their own unique attributable qualities. Considering the Pokemon Trainer is one of the most common copy-and-paste cuts within the "prophetic" circles of Super Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS predictions (or at least implement Charizard as a standalone character) because of its multiple move-sets, it strikes itself an imposing question:
would a noticeable amount of the Smash Brothers fan-base (or certain subsets of it) favorably preferred the time allocated to three separately-individualized characters (for instance, Isaac or Goroh) instead of the Pokemon Trainer, given time constraints?
From Sakurai's standpoint, the PT is not only iconic and represents Pokemon well, but it's a unique gimmick not likely worth giving up.

From fans, the PT is pretty iconic. I think they would rather see more newcomers than a new PT if given they option, likely.

From a personal point, I'd be angry if PT was replaced by another PT, because it would waste time and cut other possible newcomers that could be spent doing anything else.

All in all, since Sakurai is using some of Brawl's assets as a baseline, it's fairly likely he'll notice that people would prefer 3 more characters than a single new Pokemon Trainer, and would likely adopt and balance the old than cutting it.

Last edited:

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
Eevee's always seemed iffy to me, mostly because we already have a three-in-one transformation character in Smash, within the same series to boot. It just doesn't strike me as very unique or interesting when we already have PT's trio, and having two several-in-one characters for Pokemon alone seems more than a little extreme. I mean, if you count PT's Pokemon separately, then Pokemon already has more fighters than any other series. Adding Eevee with three (or more) evolutions on top of that would effectively grant the series ten characters, while most other series have to settle for two or three. Not to mention, people are already concerned about PT making it back, as his three movesets could put some pressure on time constraints. I don't think he's likely to be cut myself, but another character with the same issue would probably be pushing it. I'd only consider Eevee a possibility if we somehow received confirmation of PT being cut.

If I personally had to decide on characters to cut, Pokemon Trainer would be pretty high up there on my list. In terms of where time is allocated, though, I think I'd much rather see time put into polishing/improving PT, instead of having him scrapped altogether to make room for newcomers. I found him to be poorly executed in Brawl, in several ways I've gone into before, but I honestly want to see him cleaned up and improved more than I want to see him axed.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm back. And to say something for yesterday-

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NOOOOOOOOOOO
THIS
KILLS
ME

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Shulk, Takamaru, Chrom, Lucina, (Chrom and Lucina), Robin, Roy, Isaac, Ghirahim or Saki

Pick two out of these sword characters to be in Smash4. (Chrom and Lucina tagteam counts as one).

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Shulk, Takamaru, Chrom, Lucina, (Chrom and Lucina), Robin, Roy, Isaac, Ghirahim or Saki

Pick two out of these sword characters to be in Smash4. (Chrom and Lucina tagteam counts as one).
Takamaru.

I don't give a **** about the rest. But if I had to pick, I guess I'd choose Ghirahim.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion

Shulk and Ghirahim for my own personal preference.

Shulk and Takamaru for likelihood (though Isaac and Chrom are very, very, very close to Takamaru there).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Shulk and Ghirahim for my own personal preference.

Shulk and Takamaru for likelihood (though Isaac and Chrom are very, very, very close to Takamaru there).
I think I would lean Shulk and Ghirahim (he was an amazing villain) as well.

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Can people just stop with this rep hogwash? There's no proof of any sort of this garbage.
Except, I have never advocated such an idea of Sakurai integrating characters solely for the purpose of "representation". Rather, I was bringing up a metaphorical dilemma, the purpose of which to engage the response of others on the theoretical grounds if they were given such a roster-making decision, what would they do with their choices.

Takamaru and Shulk (Robin is very inches-close behind). Yes, they are commonplace choices, but it does not necessarily render them routinely mundane options for character selection. Rather, their popularity reinforces only a certain aspect as to why they are preferable to Smash Brothers, among other varietal reasons.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Too easy, Takamaru and Ganondorf Shulk.

Though it's a bit unjustified to bunch the two of them as just "sword characters." They both have abilities that would make them more like Link than Marth.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman

Takamaru and Shulk (with Isaac close behind)

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052

Shulk and Takamaru.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Seems like the general consensus is Takamaru and Shulk.

Which are funnily the characters I want the most.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer

Isaac uses a sword?! :eek:

I would say Robin and Shulk. Also, you forgot Goroh

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd pick Isaac and Robin.

Shulk would be right after them though.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Issac and Saki.

.....please don't look at me like that......

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Roy and Isaac.

Would be cool if Lyn got in as well.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
My top sword picks would be Takamaru and Robin. I'm fond of sword users in general, though, so I'd be happy to see any of them. Except Roy. I never particularly liked him in Melee, so I doubt he'd interest me in his possible return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom