• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Shulk, Takamaru, Chrom, Lucina, (Chrom and Lucina), Robin, Roy, Isaac, Ghirahim or Saki
Shulk and Lucina, personally.
And as usual, we categorize Sword Users... like hell any of these characters would play the same given Sakurai had the time to program all of these characters. Because they wouldn't. Hopefully.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Shulk and Lucina, personally.
And as usual, we categorize Sword Users... like hell any of these characters would play the same given Sakurai had the time to program all of these characters. Because they wouldn't. Hopefully.
I only do that when their sword is practically the same.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My top sword picks would be Takamaru and Robin. I'm fond of sword users in general, though, so I'd be happy to see any of them. Except Roy. I never particularly liked him in Melee, so I doubt he'd interest me in his possible return.
We can never be friends. :glare:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I only do that when their sword is practically the same.
A stance is really what I think matters. Someone can wield a different sword and function similarly to another character, but someone can wield a copy of a sword and play differently. If I was wielding a sword using a backhand stance, it's much different from a fronthand in terms of fighting style. If this is some stance on Fire Emblem, characters in that series often do have different stances. Doesn't mean they won't be clones, but it doesn't mean they will guaranteed.

I'd insert a War joke here, but it that would be cliche. :laugh:

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Shulk, Takamaru, Chrom, Lucina, (Chrom and Lucina), Robin, Roy, Isaac, Ghirahim or Saki

Pick two out of these sword characters to be in Smash4. (Chrom and Lucina tagteam counts as one).
Eh.... this better not be a omagerd too many sword characters...thing

Anyway Shulk and takamaru.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
A stance is really what I think matters. Someone can wield a different sword and function similarly to another character, but someone can wield a copy of a sword and play differently.
That's all I ever hear in "similar move set" discussions.

Can, Can, Can!

I'm not interested in cans, I'm interested in wood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
That's all I ever hear in "similar move set" discussions.

Can, Can, Can!

I'm not interested in cans, I'm interested in wood.
They would have similar or different if Sakurai decides to take that respective direction. But it's all up in the air for both sides. So no one is right or wrong here, yet.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A stance is really what I think matters. Someone can wield a different sword and function similarly to another character, but someone can wield a copy of a sword and play differently. If I was wielding a sword using a backhand stance, it's much different from a fronthand in terms of fighting style. If this is some stance on Fire Emblem, characters in that series often do have different stances. Doesn't mean they won't be clones, but it doesn't mean they will guaranteed.

I'd insert a War joke here, but it that would be cliche. :laugh:
War jokes are too mainstream.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If you had to choose one more Punch Out!! character, who would it be?
Doc Louis, without a doubt. Not in-game, Doc, though. I'm talkin' sassy "I've seen a lot" Doc from the live-action Punch-Out!! Wii commercial.

"What do I think of Mac's chances against Piston Hondo? -takes bite of candy bar- We're gonna be sayin' 'sayonara' to him. King Hippo's gonna be the King o' Losin'."

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'd just be indifferent to him since it wouldn't be anything new. It's the same reason that I don't particularly care whether Ike comes back or not. His playstyle never particularly interested me. It's not like I'm against either of them coming back, I just don't really care for them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'd just be indifferent to him since it wouldn't be anything new. It's the same reason that I don't particularly care whether Ike comes back or not. His playstyle never particularly interested me. It's not like I'm against either of them coming back, I just don't really care for them.
I was just teasing lol. But Roy is one of my favorite characters in smash as well as one of my 3 mains in Melee with the other 2 being Link and Young Link.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah, the people that think there is some sort of imaginary criteria that must be fulfilled otherwise the universe will choke on a chicken bone.
Oh, you mean like a hardware rep? Yeah, that's kind of stupid that people think that's required. What happens when you add Diskun and then Smash 5 comes? Do you HAVE to have a hardware rep even though there aren't any!?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, you mean like a hardware rep? Yeah, that's kind of stupid that people think that's required. What happens when you add Diskun and then Smash 5 comes? Do you HAVE to have a hardware rep even though there aren't any!?
He means characters being included to represent their series as opposed to just being a fun character that brings a lot to the table.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
He means characters being included to represent their series as opposed to just being a fun character that brings a lot to the table.
That's actually a thing. Characters have gotten in to represent IPs. Maybe not JUST to do that, but it's certainly an important factor sometimes. Sakurai even stated that he thought a second Metroid character in Brawl was important.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, like I just said. One of the reasons Zero Suit Samus got in was that Sakurai was specifically looking for a second Metroid character. Jigglypuff probably got in Super Smash brothers because he wanted more than one Pokemon, otherwise he wouldn't have picked a character who wasn't that popular worldwide just because of similar body build. Wii Fit Trainer's merit I can bet you was to represent Wii Fit.

He never said important. He just said he wanted to.
Usually what he wants becomes important.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Well, I gotta question if Roy and Lucas were really "fun characters that bring a lot to the table"?

Lucas is great and all, but his movepool in MOTHER 3 offers little more than what Ness can do in Earthbound (not that either use much of their own abilities in SSB). And Roy's not bad, but at the time of addition, we didn't even know anything about his character. As far as SSB is concerned, it was "Marth with fire."

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Roy was fun
Lucas was both
They were. But if they were going purely for characters that would offer the best new gameplay, they could have added entirely contrasting characters of the same franchise as opposed to characters already similar to pre-existing characters from the same franchise.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Literally nothing was said about sales.
So the game's popularity obviously had nothing to do with her inclusion. Because we all know nothing Sakurai doesn't state can be true.
(also I'm not even talking about sales. Why would you assume that I of all people would consider that a merit?)

?????????????

Smash Master
Don't games sell well because they are popular?

And aren't games popular because they were good games?

And don't good games have characters that people come to enjoy through playing the game?

Seems like a reasonable enough connection to me.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Well yes.

Unfortunately, this isn't always the case.

Nor is this.
Can you give me an example of a popular game that was flat-out bad? Or an example of a popular game where the general reception of the main character was negative?

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Final Fantasy XIII
I have to admit, I know next to nothing about that game. Doing some very small research on it, it looks like the game received reasonably high reviews, sold well, and as for Lightning...mixed reception. A lot of criticism, but also mid to high rankings on popularity polls.

But that's, like, 5 minutes of research. Could be totally wrong, but it doesn't look flat-out bad or unfavorable.

Last edited:

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
FF13 wasn't that bad. I found it enjoyable and fun. The end didn't make much sense, but it was still fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom