• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I know, maybe it's because this site is pro TL or something. There's no reason for why YL could at least be an alt for TL.

@ Autumn ♫ Autumn ♫ Clearly, Shiek in Brawl was a what if Zelda transformed into Shiek in TP so she would be considered a TP character hence the different design.
I'd honestly have no problem having Young Link as an alt for Toon Link, just having him being playable is something I'm against, since Toon Link represents everything and more than Young Link did.

Doesn't throw away the fact that Sheik is only an OoT character.

Dairz

Smash Ace
:mario2::luigi2::warioc:

They even share the same colors, are you sure is the look what you are against? i thought it was the moveset.
But their names aren't "Mario, Young Mario, and Ugly Mario", and they have completely different faces and personalities.

And by sharing colors, you mean alts, right? I don't get it, Luigi doesn't share any alts with Mario or Wario, and Wario/Mario only share 2 alts. Alts shouldn't matter; you could even argue that Peach and Zelda share 3-4 alts.

edit: For the record, I'm not against Young Link. I just think that reasoning you used was faulty.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All previous veterans get in.

Mewtwo..... Duh.

Dr. Mario is expanded and given variations from mario based on doctor things, as well as viruses. Has a tether with the stethoscope.

Pichu is back with less moves that damage itself. Side B is one of the moves. These moves are also buffed.

Roy is similar to his appearance in project M.

Young link is just a toon link skin, since toon link is practically young link anyways.

That's how I would like it if all veterans were back.
This is how I'd do it.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
But their names aren't "Mario, Young Mario, and Ugly Mario", and they have completely different faces and personalities.

And by sharing colors, you mean alts, right? I don't get it, Luigi doesn't share any alts with Mario or Wario, and Wario/Mario only share 2 alts. Alts shouldn't matter; you could even argue that Peach and Zelda share 3-4 alts.

edit: For the record, I'm not against Young Link. I just think that reasoning you used was faulty.
Their names are mario, left mario and waru (evil) mario, they dont have the same exact color but share similar ones, obviously reffering to each other.

So my reasoning will be right if YL and TL had red and yellow colors by default? it was just an example, if this kind of features can be included to the game without problems then the reasoning behind "aesthetically similar looking characters" is not 100% true, and L, TL, and YL are supposed to represent completelly different art styles, come on...

"too muuch swordsman" is not valid, yet a lot of people confuse ike with marth when his sword was shining red.
To me is the proof that the swordsman argument have a point, but that doesnt mean is real a problem to fix.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would not allow Pichu or Dr. Mario back.

I do not think either would get in on their own merits. There was a plan during Melee to boost the roster size with clones. I think it was a fine gift for that game, but sequels should not be restrained by keeping them and eating up time.

I would declone Ganondorf, but would not give his moveset to Black Shadow. I feel as if this again could eat up development time better served for other characters.

People can play Melee if they want those characters back.

I would bring Mewtwo back but at least change two of his specials (down and toward B). Roy I would be up in the air about bringing back. If he did come back, he would have some different moves to take advantage of his unique property of having the base of his sword as a sweetspot on all his attacks. Such as leaping, slashing moves.

I would probably cut Lucas and possibly Wolf.

Good thing I am not in charge. ;)

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
No. Their names are Mario, Luigi and Wario.

But don't worry, I understand. Those are pretty hard to remember, so I can't blame you for inventing little nicknames for them.
RALLY? THATS THEIR RIAL NOMES? D: my life is complete!!!!!!!!!! :colorful:

^that was sarcasm, dont worry i understand the need for attention, but you may need glasses for it here on the internet, nice new phone you got there huh? just an advice ;D

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wish I could like my own posts. They are all so good.

I want to see Wario and Ganondorf next. Hopefully with some changes.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If pokemon trainer gets back I want him to have a new team

just joking, of course.

but it would be cool, I guess

?????????????

Smash Master
@ ????????????? ????????????? : A game can sell millions of copies. That doesn't necessarily mean it will leave a forever lasting impression on us.

A think Golden Sun is a good example of a game that was popular and sold many copies, but is hardly talked about anymore.
Really? I still see plenty of requests for Isaac in SSB4. I, too, would be interested in that.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
RALLY? THATS THEIR RIAL NOMES? D: my life is complete!!!!!!!!!! :colorful:

^that was sarcasm, dont worry i understand the need for attention, but you may need glasses for it here on the internet, nice new phone you got there huh? just an advice ;D
It's hilarious how the bottom paragraph makes less sense than the one you made silly on purpose. What the **** are you trying to say? I may need glasses for the need of attention? "Nice phone"?

Well whatever. I guess there's no point in trying to make sense of a guy who thinks the name "Luigi" is somehow derived from "left mario".

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In response to @ Bowserlick Bowserlick earlier, I agree with a lot of his thinking.
I want moveset changes for Mewtwo, but I would accept the same Mewtwo from Melee.
I don't want anyone else from Melee back. Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, nor Young Link have done enough to merit an inclusion aside from being an easy clone.
Wolf I would keep, but I do think that Star Fox is overrepresented in Smash so maybe Falco? I don't want to though.
A Ganondorf moveset change is obvious. I would like Black Shadow though.
I would also cut Lucas. I think that Mother is pretty much over and the fact that it's a small series anyway doesn't really warrant a second character. Plus he brings nothing new.
Kid Icarus on the other hand, albeit small, is a very popular series dating back to Nintendo's early days with the NES. So I think KI warrants two characters, but not Mother.
I personally believe that Mario and Pokémon can warrant 6 characters if given the chance, due to their large size, endless options, and everlasting popularity.
But that's just my opinion. :p

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I would not allow Pichu or Dr. Mario back.

I do not think either would get in on their own merits. There was a plan during Melee to boost the roster size with clones. I think it was a fine gift for that game, but sequels should not be restrained by keeping them and eating up time.

I would declone Ganondorf, but would not give his moveset to Black Shadow. I feel as if this again could eat up development time better served for other characters.

People can play Melee if they want those characters back.

I would bring Mewtwo back but at least change two of his specials (down and toward B). Roy I would be up in the air about bringing back. If he did come back, he would have some different moves to take advantage of his unique property of having the base of his sword as a sweetspot on all his attacks. Such as leaping, slashing moves.

I would probably cut Lucas and possibly Wolf.

Good thing I am not in charge. ;)
I agree with everything except cutting Lucas and Wolf.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
I know it's been said before, but I seriously want Dr. Mario as an alternate character. For some reason, he just feels so much more powerful. He is my main when it comes to Melee, too, so it would be awesome to have him back.

?????????????

Smash Master
In response to @ Bowserlick Bowserlick earlier, I agree with a lot of his thinking.
I want moveset changes for Mewtwo, but I would accept the same Mewtwo from Melee.
I don't want anyone else from Melee back. Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, nor Young Link have done enough to merit an inclusion aside from being an easy clone.
Wolf I would keep, but I do think that Star Fox is overrepresented in Smash so maybe Falco? I don't want to though.
A Ganondorf moveset change is obvious. I would like Black Shadow though.
I would also cut Lucas. I think that Mother is pretty much over and the fact that it's a small series anyway doesn't really warrant a second character. Plus he brings nothing new.
Kid Icarus on the other hand, albeit small, is a very popular series dating back to Nintendo's early days with the NES. So I think KI warrants two characters, but not Mother.
I personally believe that Mario and Pokémon can warrant 6 characters if given the chance, due to their large size, endless options, and everlasting popularity.
But that's just my opinion. :p
One thing.

The MOTHER series also dates back to the NES, and unlike the Kid Icarus franchise, which was ignored for many years until it's revival, the MOTHER series continued, with a SNES sequel, and an attempted N64 sequel which was eventually completed on GBA.

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
One thing.

The MOTHER series also dates back to the NES, and unlike the Kid Icarus franchise, which was ignored for many years until it's revival, the MOTHER series continued, with an SNES sequel, and an attempted N64 sequel which was eventually completed on GBA.
And, despite the lack of a new game, Mother is still a pretty popular Nintendo franchise that probably is around KI-ish levels I'd guess.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
And, despite the lack of a new game, Mother is still a pretty popular Nintendo franchise that probably is around KI-ish levels I'd guess.
Unfortunately that's not true. Mother has a vocal fanbase on the internet, with some more new fans thanks to the EarthBound rerelease. Kid Icarus can boast a rather recent game released world-wide and great sales, Mother can't.

Though, speaking of Mother, I'm curious as to people why think Lucas is going to be cut. People seem to be using Mother 3 being Japan only as an argument against him, but that didn't stop him during Brawl days, where I doubt Sakurai even thought an international release was happening. Plus, with the amount of Mother 3 representation in Brawl (lots of music, a boss, stage, and of course character), it would feel weird not to have that in the sequel, don't you think?

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Unfortunately that's not true. Mother has a vocal fanbase on the internet, with some more new fans thanks to the EarthBound rerelease. Kid Icarus can boast a rather recent game released world-wide and great sales, Mother can't.
It certainly has that cult classic popularity, and it still is fairly popular in japan I'd imagine. It's always been towards the top 10 of the eShop sales charts, and was only beat by stuff like SMW and the 30 cent games for a while iirc.

Uprising did well, but it didn't do enough to really push it up that high imo. I'd say it's fairly close, with KI higher, but still, I don't think it's a major difference.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I know it's been said before, but I seriously want Dr. Mario as an alternate character. For some reason, he just feels so much more powerful. He is my main when it comes to Melee, too, so it would be awesome to have him back.
This has a decent chance of happening, I think. But please Sakurai no Dr. Mario as a separate character.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
We need a proper topic. Let's talk about Fire Emblem possible changes to returning veterans.

I think Toon Link could use a new side special. Skull Hammer maybe?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
We need a proper topic. Let's talk about Fire Emblem possible changes to returning veterans.

Ganondorf:

Warlock Punch works like before, only this time you can press B early to release the charged energy as a magic projectile.

For Dark Dive, pressing B again at the apex of the jump will make Ganon twirl his cape, reflecting attacks.

-----

D

Deleted member

Whether Dr. Mario has his own "slot" or not is irrelevant.

Unless Dr. Mario is literally nothing but a costume with absolutely no changes whatsoever from Mario (which would be idiotic), the work it would take to make him an "alternate character" that you can select from Mario is the same amount of work as it would take if he had his own icon on the CSS.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I guess if Dr. Mario would be easy to implement and balance if there is time, it wouldn't be a complete disaster. Toon Link was already added.

Now that Mario's down B is changed, the Doc's tornado would be different than his plumber counterpart. Also, just add defibrillators to his forward electrical Smash and maybe change one or two other A moves and it might be an easy add.

We will see.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I would like changes to Toon Link, but I would rather his specials stay.

Changes to veterans. How about Ganondorf?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom