• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
"Picking on" Dixie for not being a projectile user? That's like picking on Mother characters for using PSI moves/abilities a lot.

Sadly I could see someone getting offended by this all the same.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I thought Diddy was already king of the DK projectiles personally. I always figured Dixie would be more of a beat down character with good close to mid range attacks using her hair.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
For a 6th Pokemon I'd like Genesect, it is robo laser bug and that sounds awesome.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Where is everyone?
Let's talk Pokémon.
Who is the ideal 6th rep if Pokémon was to get one?
Geninja or Doublade, really. The Honedge line is extremely popular, and Greninja is the most popular Gen 6 starter as of the moment. I also would've said Dedene, but now I can't.:p

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Genesect or bust imo. Even if his time is pretty much over, he'd make a rad character. No 6th Gen Pokémon has received the necessary push to make them popular either imo, any choice from that generation comes off as a really random pick, whether it be Hawlucha, Pangoro or Greninja. Heck, even the 6th Gen Starters seem to be way less valued by Game Freak than even the 1st Gen ones, they lost out big time due to not having Mega Evolutions, and are also completely pushed aside in other markets like the TCG. This is why I find the idea of a 6th Gen Trainer completely redundant, the current Pokémon Trainer does everything better in basically every way, both promotionally and fan-pandering-wise.

Genesect has however become somewhat popular due to its heavy focus towards the end of 5th Gen. Zoroark never really took off either, though it could still be a very unique fighter.

Of course this is all hypothetical, since Mewtwo is going to snag the last remaining Pokémon slot anyways.

Last edited:

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Heck, even the 6th Gen Starters seem to be way less valued by Game Freak than even the 1st Gen ones, they lost out big time due to not having Mega Evolutions, and are also completely pushed aside in other markets like the TCG. This is why I find the idea of a 6th Gen Trainer completely redundant, the current Pokémon Trainer does everything better in basically every way, both promotionally and fan-pandering-wise.
To be fair, none of the Gen 6 pokemon have Mega Evolutions. The reason being is that Gamefreak wants to reserve Mega Evolutions for pokemon that are A) extremely popular or B) have balancing issues. Before X and Y came out, Game Freak did not do any studies to determine which Gen 6 Pokemon are the most popular. Certainly, they've been studying the target audience's likes and dislikes since the game came out, and eventually the Gen 6 pokemon could get mega evolutions in future games.

I don't believe the Gen 6 Trainer is redundant, I believe him/her being in the game has an additive effect on promotion and fan-pandering the all of the Gen I fan-pandering. People really enjoy playing X and Y after all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair, none of the Gen 6 pokemon have Mega Evolutions. The reason being is that Gamefreak wants to reserve Mega Evolutions for pokemon that are A) extremely popular or B) have balancing issues. Before X and Y came out, Game Freak did not do any studies to determine which Gen 6 Pokemon are the most popular. Certainly, they've been studying the target audience's likes and dislikes since the game came out, and eventually the Gen 6 pokemon could get mega evolutions in future games.

I don't believe the Gen 6 Trainer is redundant, I believe him/her being in the game has an additive effect on promotion and fan-pandering the all of the Gen I fan-pandering. People really enjoy playing X and Y after all.
The 5th generation never got mega evolutions either. I guess the first four generations were the only ones that received enough positive treatment to get them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, since Sakurai literally crushed my hopes of having Waluigi in SSB4, I guess that makes my list smaller even more.

Isaac, Felix, Chunky, Andy, Lyn, Roy (alt for Marth), Young Link (alt for Toon Link)

If these characters somehow got in, i'd be a happy camper regardless of them cutting characters I wanted.

Staarih

Smash Master
The 5th generation never got mega evolutions either. I guess the first four generations were the only ones that received enough positive treatment to get them.
Yeah, and I find this a bit weird. Were the 5th gen Pokémon balanced enough already? Or what. Because I think a few of them could have used a mega evolution, one being Zoroark (if not for balance, then popularity or whatever). But maybe the 3rd version of X & Y or future games will introduce more of them to us, if they want to continue with the idea.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah, and I find this a bit weird. Were the 5th gen Pokémon balanced enough already? Or what. Because I think a few of them could have used a mega evolution, one being Zoroark (if not for balance, then popularity or whatever). But maybe the 3rd version of X & Y or future games will introduce more of them to us, if they want to continue with the idea.
I think the reason they were ignored is for similar reasons for why Gen 6 was, they figured the generation was too new to get anything. Gen 4 having the least of the four that got them also supports that.

Still, I wish they gave a couple of them one, it's not like all of them were fantastic Pokémon competitive-wise and popularity-wise you still have a lot of examples like Braviary and Haxorus.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Yeah, I know the story about no Gen 6 (and sadly Gen 5) Pokémons having Megas. Doesn't change that Game Freak has focused so much on the mechanic that it has made the 1st Gen starters a lot more prominent in advertisement. All the TV advertisements ended with a shot of one of the Gen 1 Megas for example, and all those cinematic TV ads also had Charizard leading the way. They've also always been more popular than any other starter set, including 6th Gen, and giving them Mega Evolutions furthermore made them really feel like the leader of your party in X & Y. Do remember that I'm talking strightly X & Y here too, the Kanto starters were a big selling point for the game, that's why they are in all the commercials, lead the TCG card set, and why they dedicated the main event of a Pokémon Direct to them, they know how strong these 3 Pokémons are at selling games.

There's simply no gain in putting in an additional Trainer or replacing the current Trainer, the new Trainer will always just end up being less loved and have less promotional value no matter what perspective you look at it from. It doesn't really add anything new to the roster either, which the current newcomers all do, it'd just be an old concept with a new mask.

Gune

Smash Lord
Since were still on the topic of pokemon somewhat if you guys had a choice between Mewtwo or a gen six pokemon what would you choose?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Since were still on the topic of pokemon somewhat if you guys had a choice between Mewtwo or a gen six pokemon what would you choose?
I'm fairly certain 90% of us will say Mewtwo. Because he's not hinted at for coincidence.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I'd vote for Mewtwo as well. I'm sure his Final Smash would be a Mega Evolution(randomized?). I'd like for the Pokemon Trainer to have the final forms of each Pokemon, instead of a rotation of the three. Then each could transform into their Mega Evolution for their FS, instead of the "Super Effective!" move.

Gune

Smash Lord
Kinda expected everyone to say mewtwo, well everyone except blue so on to another question! In later installments of smash how do you think the pokemon franchise is going to play out? Over ubandance of charecters? somebody cut to make room? Or do you think it will stay the same?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If he's doing a new Pokemon character, I'm sure someone is going to get cut no matter how attached people really are to having no cuts.
Oh I didn't read it correctly. O.o
There's going to be cuts eventually to the Pokemon franchise.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I'd vote for Mewtwo as well. I'm sure his Final Smash would be a Mega Evolution(randomized?). I'd like for the Pokemon Trainer to have the final forms of each Pokemon, instead of a rotation of the three. Then each could transform into their Mega Evolution for their FS, instead of the "Super Effective!" move.
I like Triple Finish. It is pretty epic.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Kinda expected everyone to say mewtwo, well everyone except blue so on to another question! In later installments of smash how do you think the pokemon franchise is going to play out? Over ubandance of charecters? somebody cut to make room? Or do you think it will stay the same?
They'll just keep adding them game after game. Though I doubt Pichu will ever return for a while. I can see Genesect, Zoroark or Deoxys getting added next game unless Gen VII has that good of a Pokemon. Most of VI has Pokemon that I don't really see going great in a fighting game, barring Hawlucha.
Pokemon is practically the kingpin of Nintendo behind Mario Bros; It breaks the gap between generations of gamers because Nintendo is smart with Pokemon. Heck I still have my very first 6 Pokemon from Ruby & Sapphire currently in X & Y.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I like Triple Finish. It is pretty epic.
I like Triple Finish as well. I was just trying to think of some Pokemon X/Y representation with the Kanto Pokemon Trainer. He could represent the past and present Gens very easily. Especially with Mega Evos.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I like Triple Finish as well. I was just trying to think of some Pokemon X/Y representation with the Kanto Pokemon Trainer. He could represent the past and present Gens very easily. Especially with Mega Evos.
Well, since he is the Kanto trainer, he should represent Gen. 1. Let Lucario represent Gen. 4 and Gen. 6. The trainer has the FireRed/LeafGreen design, so he represents Gen. 3 as well. Throw in Pichu as a joke character, and he represents Gen. 2. Gen. 5 could be represented by the starters using the pledge moves, or maybe a boss battle in Adventure Mode against Reshiram and Zekrom.

Now we have proper representation of all gens, and people can stop complaining about Gen. 1 over-representation.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Well, since he is the Kanto trainer, he should represent Gen. 1. Let Lucario represent Gen. 4 and Gen. 6. The trainer has the FireRed/LeafGreen design, so he represents Gen. 3 as well. Throw in Pichu as a joke character, and he represents Gen. 2. Gen. 5 could be represented by the starters using the pledge moves, or maybe a boss battle in Adventure Mode against Reshiram and Zekrom.

Now we have proper representation of all gens, and people can stop complaining about Gen. 1 over-representation.
His name is the Pokemon Trainer. He looks like Red from FR/LG, but his name isn't Kanto trainer. He can represent two(three if you count FR/LG design) by himself. But, I do understand what you are saying. Besides, with Pokeball Pokemon, every Gen should be represented.

Gune

Smash Lord

FR/LG is still a gen 1 remake, that
doesent count as gen 3 representation.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's the thing. Sakurai has not made the effort, as we can see, for Pokemon as a series in Smash Bros, to represent every single generation. Really, why WOULD Sakurai do that? If he were to try to do that now, then it would take him several games. The current Pokemon Trainer has the most iconic starter Pokemon, and when it comes to Smash Bros., he isn't just going to throw in three no names.

Generation 1 is special because it started it all. If he replaces the Pokemon Trainer with a new one, thus adding 3 movesets, it would set a precedent to add a whole new team. Every. Single. Game. That would be development time wasted on a character that is better off left alone.

For Smash 4, we're getting a smaller amount of newcomers. If you really think he's going to have his team spend extra time changing a character simply for the sake of staying current, then you're getting your hopes up.

Representing every generation is not a requirement, nor is it something that appears to matter at this point. The different generations can easily be represented through other means, like Pokeballs, and stages.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Here's the thing. Sakurai has not made the effort, as we can see, for Pokemon as a series in Smash Bros, to represent every single generation. Really, why WOULD Sakurai do that? If he were to try to do that now, then it would take him several games. The current Pokemon Trainer has the most iconic starter Pokemon, and when it comes to Smash Bros., he isn't just going to throw in three no names.

Generation 1 is special because it started it all. If he replaces the Pokemon Trainer with a new one, thus adding 3 movesets, it would set a precedent to add a whole new team. Every. Single. Game. That would be development time wasted on a character that is better off left alone.

For Smash 4, we're getting a smaller amount of newcomers. If you really think he's going to have his team spend extra time changing a character simply for the sake of staying current, then you're getting your hopes up.

Representing every generation is not a requirement, nor is it something that appears to matter at this point. The different generations can easily be represented through other means, like Pokeballs, and stages.
I know that, I don't want the current trainer replaced. I was just doing this for fun. :laugh:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@BridgesWithTurtles had an ingenious post about Congressionally Repping each Pokemon Generation in the Unpopular Opinions Thread.

I guess I'll add one more opinion to the pile: The Pokémon series getting equal "representation" for each of its generations is an illogical idea. 1st Generation "over-representation" makes total sense from a popularity/iconic standpoint. But that's not even the case, since they're not "Gen 1 reps" to begin with. Pikachu, Jiggz, Mewtwo, and PT don't "represent" Generation 1. They represent the series overall. It just so happens that these Generation 1 Pokemon represent the overall series very well. Pokemon generations aren't different subsets of a franchise that need individual representation. "Generations" are really just glorified sequels in a steady string of releases. "Gen 3", for example, doesn't warrant its own "representative" in, say, Blaziken, any more than something like Super Mario Sunshine warrants its own "representative" in Bowser Jr. The current Pokémon characters represent Generation 3 just as the current Mario characters represent Sunshine.
Of course, the beauty of this reasoning will be lost on the people declaring that the "Mario Sports" games need a Congressional Rep, the "Mario RPG" games need a Congressional Rep, etc. etc., but it's still commendable on Bridges' part to the point where it shouldn't actually be an unpopular opinion.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Another thing to note about representing a Generation in Pokemon...
-Pokemon like Pikachu and Jigglypuff appear in the majority of Pokemon Games. it makes sense and they are able to represent it well by appearing in the games often. Lucario is a similar case, he's appearing in most games after his debut.
-Mewtwo represents Legendary Pokemon in general and is the famous example of it. Choosing some specific other character wouldn't make as much sense.
-Generation I is the thing that started the phenomenon. It's not hard to explain the fact that they're more of them in Smash. They represent the series as a whole and as @BridgesWithTurtles did say, the new Generations aren't exactly new series but just holy sequels.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
This is why I said he is named the Pokemon Trainer, not the Kanto Trainer. As a Pokemon fan, I would love for each and every Gen to get a rep. But, the Pokemon Trainer can represent from the beginning to the end.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
eevee is the best option right now, the evolutions will only be an element change and the specials could stayed the same, being normal B the only one that change completely.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I really don't understand why the generation a Pokemon was introduced matters.

People dont want human pokemon characters as playable, yet people thinks andy representing the war series is a good idea...
The difference being that people don't play Pokemon for whoever controls them. The Trainer simply introduces a way to have the gameplay mechanic that makes up a "team" rather than any individual monster. As much as I'd love Charizard as an individual rep, I wouldn't want PT axed in favor of individual characters for this reason.

Eevee wouldn't be the worst alternative to this, especially if it was like Red's Vui from the Pokemon Adventures/Special manga (prior to it evolving to Espeon, at least). But I don't think they'd do it if only because it contradicts everything about how evolution works in Pokemon games.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
The difference being that people don't play Pokemon for whoever controls them. The Trainer simply introduces a way to have the gameplay mechanic that makes up a "team" rather than any individual monster. As much as I'd love Charizard as an individual rep, I wouldn't want PT axed in favor of individual characters for this reason.
I confuse the threads, sorry for that.
I think is the same thing though, one plays Wars for the gameplay and the cute soldiers killing themselves, is the mayor identity of the franchise, and wanting andy or some other character over the soldiers well... is not going to happen, even waluigi could have a bigger chance to appear than andy.

About eevee, i was thinking in "eevee team" or something like that, there is always a pokemon episode about it anyways so there is no need to break the evolution for it.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
For Pokemon, I'd say Mewtwo. But if there needs to be another, I would consider Eevee with the possibility to evolve into stronger, elemental psuedo-clones.

Eevee could start normal and depending on triggers transform into Vaporeon, Jolteon, or Flareon.

If Eevee takes 40 percent damage, she turns into Vaporeon. Vaporeon could be the heaviest transformation and have defensive attacks to mitigate the damage she has accumulated.

If Eevee deals 40 percent damage or more, she turns into Jolteon who is speedy and has KO moves to deliver the finishing blow.

If Eevee has taken 20 percent damage and delivered 20 percent damage, she turns into Flareon who is an insane damage racker and the second best at KO's.

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Hypothetical question (which may have been asked countless times already):

Brawl's one-of-a-kind Pokemon Trainer constitutes three different move-sets, each with their own unique attributable qualities. Considering the Pokemon Trainer is one of the most common copy-and-paste cuts within the "prophetic" circles of Super Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS predictions (or at least implement Charizard as a standalone character) because of its multiple move-sets, it strikes itself an imposing question:
would a noticeable amount of the Smash Brothers fan-base (or certain subsets of it) favorably preferred the time allocated to three separately-individualized characters (for instance, Isaac or Goroh) instead of the Pokemon Trainer, given time constraints?

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Hypothetical question (which may have been asked countless times already):

Brawl's one-of-a-kind Pokemon Trainer constitutes three different move-sets, each with their own unique attributable qualities. Considering the Pokemon Trainer is one of the most common copy-and-paste cuts within the "prophetic" circles of Super Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS predictions (or at least implement Charizard as a standalone) because of its multiple move-sets, it strikes itself an imposing question:
would a noticeable amount of the Smash Brothers fan-base (or certain subsets of it) favorably preferred the time allocated to three separately-individualized characters (for instance, Isaac or Goroh) instead of the Pokemon Trainer, given time constraints?
Pokemon could give up the trainer, keep Charizard and free up two spots. These spots can be used for characters that have yet unrepresented series. However, the Pokemon Trainer does represent an important aspect of the Pokemon series, so I doubt Sakurai would remove him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom