• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Being in multiple games is not an appealing factor just so you know.
Go home Blue, you're clearly drunk.

Whilst not the be all and end all factor, it is clearly a major appealing factor. In general the more games someone is in, the more a fanbase that character gains. Obviously there are some exceptions(Hi Geno, you weird anomaly within the Smash community, you) but the more prominent a character is the more people are going to like and desire said character.

With more appearances the audience bonds more with said character and when they're missing, the more outraged they are. Waluigi would be no where near as popular as he is now if he'd only appeared in Mario Tennis, and Daisy wouldn't have a large fanbase if she only had the one role in Super Mario Land.

A more popular example is currently the situation K. Rool is in. Fans having bonded with the croc for four major titles want him back desperately. Had he only been the villain of the original DKC, no one would care for him at all.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gonna be honest that's gross.
Apparently different opinions are gross.

Honestly, you seem very egocentric.

Try to expand your horizons a bit more.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I guess I should be glad I'm not actually a fan of Absol, I probably would have pretty pissed right now if I was :p
I think it could be a cool addition...don't know how to make it unique besides it being quadruped fox/wolf/unicorn thing.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Whilst not the be all and end all factor, it is clearly a major appealing factor. In general the more games someone is in, the more a fanbase that character gains. Obviously there are some exceptions(Hi Geno, you weird anomaly within the Smash community, you) but the more prominent a character is the more people are going to like and desire said character.

With more appearances the audience bonds more with said character and when they're missing, the more outraged they are. Waluigi would be no where near as popular as he is now if he'd only appeared in Mario Tennis, and Daisy wouldn't have a large fanbase if she only had the one role in Super Mario Land.

A more popular example is currently the situation K. Rool is in. Fans having bonded with the croc for four major titles want him back desperately. Had he only been the villain of the original DKC, no one would care for him at all.
Tiki's been in more games than any of the Fire Emblem characters in the roster, Anna's been in all but one thus far.

THE PROPHECY! IT SPEAKS!

Nah I'm just yanking your chain.

Yeah, recurrent appearances can only help a character, never hinder. It's worth bearing in mind.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Uh? I'm pretty sure it can be one? Wouldn't more appearances suggest that the character is a more recognizable face in their franchise or origin, or just that their franchise is probably a bit more well-known than one-off tiles in comparison?
I mean how can you like a character solely for appearing in multiple games, it doesn't feel like something that would really attract your attention.
I agree on this though, if the character is lacking in some capacity and you find their only redeeming factor to be their number of appearances I can't say I understand your taste in characters.
- - - - - - - - - -
Gonna be honest that's gross.
That's a weird way to say you don't like a character choice. I don't think it's gross, lol, it's not like Absol is a Garbodor or something.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Apparently different opinions are gross.

Honestly, you seem very egocentric.

Try to expand your horizons a bit more.
Sorry that's just my opinion. I feel personally that adding absol is gross. My horizon doesn't expand further than that.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
It appears that we may be getting most of the characters from the forbidden 7

I feel really good about Roy and Dixie Kong
It's really hard to say where Tetra and Toon Zelda are standing, we may get one or the other, both, or none.
But frankly I don't see Plusle and Minun returning.
Then theres Lucas but thats a different story

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Since Absol can predict natural disasters, maybe its move could be based on them.
Rock Slide, Razor Wind, Blizzard, and Future Sight for a Counter.
That does sound cool, but personally I still find it gross, I'm not calling you gross. I just don't see the appeal of Absol similarly how you don't see the appeal of Bandana Dee, but I'm egocentric for having an opinion and you're not, which is fine.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sorry that's just my opinion. I feel personally that adding absol is gross. My horizon doesn't expand further than that.
Than allow others to expand theirs peacefully.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

It's really hard to say where Tetra and Toon Zelda are standing, we may get one or the other, both, or none.
There was this one Wind Waker drawing I wanted to make when Wind Waker HD was announced, and then afterwards when Toon Link was confirmed for Smash 4..... if Toon Zelda and/or Tetra actually become a thing this time I will make it. Pretty sure it will garner a similar type of reaction. :p

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Than allow others to expand theirs peacefully.
Um, not being rude but did you just see a bunch of people gang up on me for having a different opinion about Ivysaur and Squirtle? I wasn't allowed to expand my views peacefully... and all I did after was call something gross and two mods jump on me about it, really? ....but okay its wrong to whine, my bad.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Honestly I see Roy and maybe Dixie, but she may only get in due to fan suggestions in the ballot coupled with original Brawl planning.

Tetra was technically Toon Sheik. Let us all hope we never get Toon Sheik. Literally a character no one wants. Even the Zelda creators or she'd of existed by now.

Plusle and Minun I don't think were ever confirmed as being what Pra_mai stood for, but even if they were they'd stand no chance; Pokemon company isn't advertising them anymore, not even as promotion for Omega/Alpha, and they suffer from the same issues the Ice Climbers had. No way they'd work.

Beats me on Toon Zelda's chances though.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Um, not being rude but did you just see a bunch of people gang up on me for having a different opinion about Ivysaur and Squirtle? I wasn't allowed to expand my views peacefully... and all I did after was call something gross and two mods jump on me about it, really? ....but okay its wrong to whine, my bad.
Well when you say they a aright up don't matter,it comes off as rude.

Moreover, the debates going on were not rude

Does that make sense?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
It's OFF topic but...
Can I just share something?.. It's tiny trivia that is needed be spreaded;

They're all interlaced; it's marked in their destinies! :colorful:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well when you say they a aright up don't matter,it comes off as rude.

Moreover, the debates going on were not rude

Does that make sense?
I understand, I feel the overall reaction was an overreaction but I understand.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
There was this one Wind Waker drawing I wanted to make when Wind Waker HD was announced, and then afterwards when Toon Link was confirmed for Smash 4..... if Toon Zelda and/or Tetra actually become a thing this time I will make it. Pretty sure it will garner a similar type of reaction. :p
I really want either of them to join Toon Link, Besides the Zelda ATs, they are the other ones I really want playable. Then theres Impa from Hyrule Warriors, but even with that amazing design and move set, I still want to see Tetra and Toon Zelda because Wind Waker is my favorite :)
Honestly I see Roy and maybe Dixie, but she may only get in due to fan suggestions in the ballot coupled with original Brawl planning.

Tetra was technically Toon Sheik. Let us all hope we never get Toon Sheik. Literally a character no one wants. Even the Zelda creators or she'd of existed by now.

Plusle and Minun I don't think were ever confirmed as being what Pra_mai stood for, but even if they were they'd stand no chance; Pokemon company isn't advertising them anymore, not even as promotion for Omega/Alpha, and they suffer from the same issues the Ice Climbers had. No way they'd work.

Yeah, "Toon Sheik", can stay away :p

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So basically, being a reoccuring character is irrelevant if you aren't "dah hip noo charucter u need 2 sapport". Well, ****, guess that means we should have so many goddamn third-parties it'd lose why it's a Nintendo series. :/

Seriously, though; if I was forced by Sakurai to choose between Ridley, who's pretty much the Bowser to Samus' Mario, and Anthony Higgs....which one do you honestly think more people would know (and thus generate more profit)? Certainly not the one-off character who was one of the very few saving factors of an otherwise poorly-written mess of a franchise killer, that's for damn sure.

Reccurring characters are always much more necessary in a crossover fighting game specifically celebrating Nintendo's history than one-offs. That's the same damn reason people loathe Dark Pit's entire existance; he's a last-minute addon because Sakurai just wanted to give him a "unique" Final Smash (which is just a clone of the Light Arrow), and other characters could have been made clones over him, like Dixie Kong. He's literally just tacked on to say "HEY GUYS, KID ICARUS IS RELEVANT NOW! BUY UPRISING!".

I'm pretty sure everyone would be absolutely livid if they put in one of the Tikis over King K.Rool just because they're the hip new villains. Recent appearances don't matter for some characters; they're iconic enough to be considered all-stars. That's why K.Rool is so popular; he's the villain of the DKC games. The Tikis and Snowmads were nice distractions, but the most iconic DK villains are K.Rool and the Kremlings. Ridley is the villain of the Metroid games, the mortal enemy of the main character and the one character with real personal ties to her that isn't one-off. If someone thinks of Metroid characters, they think of Samus, Ridley and Mother Brain.

This is a celebration of Nintendo's history first and foremost, not a advertising bandwagon they can throw random crap on just to sell it. That's why I'm not too keen on Inkling being DLC (though I still respect people who do want Inkling); Smash is celebrating Nintendo's history, not whatever game is the newest. Historical relevance or iconic value should always come before marketing in deciding Smash fighters.

For example;
  • Sonic is the rival to Mario, having been the biggest threat to Nintendo's career throughout the 1990's.
  • Pac-Man is a gaming legend, having even more reach than Mario himself. He'd deserved a spot in Smash since the begining of it all.
  • Mega Man, despite not being as obviously gigantic as Pac-Man and Sonic, is still a hugely popular series with a large fanbase; and Mega Man also had some of the most popular games on the NES. Everybody who knows about Capcom knows Mega Man.
  • Snake revolutionized the stealth-action game and is the progenitor of the genre. He's pretty much nearing gaming legend status.
These are all third-parties, but the rule applies to first-parties, as well.
  • Charizard is probably one of the most popular Poket Monsters in the world next to Pikachu, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff, and is the mascot of two separate games (Pokemon Red and it's remake, Fire Red). It also plays a large role in the Kanto and Johto seasons of the anime.
  • Fox was the star of a game that pretty much revolutionized an industry, since it was the first 3D console game on a system that had, beforehand, only been able to use sprites. Star Fox 64 also innovated the industry thanks to the Rumble Pak, as well.
  • R.O.B was a Trojan Horse that let Nintendo singlehandedly revive the dying video game industry and ultimately making everything up until now possible. Without R.O.B, the NES would probably have been unable to sell.
  • Samus is the female protagonist. Without Samus, females in gaming would have been stuck as Peach-like characters. That's...pretty damn important. :p
Importance is always a more important factor than anything, because it means the audience knows the character more. I bet if Anthony got revealed, half of the fanbase would just be like "Who the **** is this guy?". If Ridley got revealed, I'm pretty sure everyone would be screaming. :p

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Hmm.. I think may have been worded this wrong. :I

If it's not a major notable appearance and just a minor cameo, I think there's really less of a chance the fan base will increase/like by a ton really. I doubt people would have first supported Geno solely for his minor cameo in Superstar Saga and I doubt people would have supported K. Rool when he appeared in that one baseball game on the Wii, people remember K. Rool for the original trilogy and DK64 and Geno was remembered for Super Mario RPG they support them because of those games, not minor appearances they appeared in.

Though I'm pretty sure there's a flaw somewhere in my argument though.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Importance is always a more important factor than anything, because it means the audience knows the character more. I bet if Anthony got revealed, half of the fanbase would just be like "Who the **** is this guy?". If Ridley got revealed, I'm pretty sure everyone would be screaming. :p
THEN EXPLAIN ICE CLIMBERS. EXPLAIN! EXPLAAAIINNN!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That could work...but it still is same thing outside of not being Up Special.
Not exactly. Robo Burner only lets R.O.B. propel himself upwards and recharges only on the ground at a fast pace.
My idea is giving Ridley free-flight. Can fly in any direction and can hover in place if he should so choose. The visible meter charges at a moderate pace when not in use. (And tied to Kinetic Breath Weapon if we're going the G:DAMM Energy Meter route).

Samus might as well be able to fly in the same way Kirby and co. do (except it requires timing rather than button mashing).
If you're talking the Space Jump, that doesn't really count as "flying".

Ridley isn't standing upright either. Never did actually. So, i guess its better to use DK then.
As long as it's made clear Ridley is bigger than the compared character in question, it really doesn't matter to me which of the two big guys you use. *shrugs*

Thats why i said "as realistic as a purple space dragon can get".
That one needs to be more "realistic" though (giant head and thin neck being the main problems). While SSB4 is more cartoonish than Melee and Brawl, Other M stuff included still has its...er...serious style.
Not really anymore "serious" than the content from previous Smash titles.
It's mainly the design difference between Super Metroid (Artwork + purple) Ridley and Other M Ridley.

Nope.
That technically was the same Mewtwo. They created only one of these things. I really doubt this version (which still can levitate freely even without Mega Evolving) is anyhow used though. SSB4 Mewtwo has its appearance, but thats it. Everything else is from the other Mewtwo, including that pretty d*mn awesome voice.
Not in the animeverse they didn't. The Genesect movie? That starred a completely separate Mewtwo from the one from the first movie.

It looks rather goofy though.
I disagree. It looks perfect in context of Smash to me.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

She is a shoo-in:troll:

Burruni

Smash Hero
THEN EXPLAIN ICE CLIMBERS. EXPLAIN! EXPLAAAIINNN!
I'll make it simple.

Before the time of Melee, Sakurai said to himself: "Y'know. I spent a lot of Smash 64 focusing on characters with big recent titles. Maybe I should help bring up some of the older characters of Nintendo."

:marthmelee:: Oh, this fairly well requested character who hasn't been seen since the NES whose series last had a game on the SNES and has a fencing style to combat.

:gawmelee:: You can't get more retro gaming for nintendo without going onto card games.

:icsmelee:: Man these two can make a sweet unique teamwork mechanic.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's OFF topic but...
Can I just share something?.. It's tiny trivia that is needed be spreaded;

They're all interlaced; it's marked in their destinies! :colorful:
That reminds me, Bad Box Art Mega Man should have been his own character in Smash because it was his destiny all along. I mean look at this guy, he would fit even very well with the rest of the Smash cast. :troll:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Reccurring characters are always much more necessary in a crossover fighting game specifically celebrating Nintendo's historythan one-offs. That's the same damn reason people loathe Dark Pit's entire existance; he's a last-minute addon because Sakurai just wanted to give him a "unique" Final Smash (which is just a clone of the Light Arrow), and other characters could have been made clones over him, like Dixie Kong.
There is no way Dixie could of been a cheap and easy clone like Dark Pit. There are things about her character that actually have to be changed, like her having rocket barrels, her jab being a tail attack (which uh, she doesn't even have), etc. Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario were also planned as alt costumes for their respective characters, while Dixie obviously wasn't. These were pretty much the candidates for last minute clone additions.

Dark Pit
Lucina
Dr. Mario
Alph
The Koopalings
Male WFT
Female Robin
Wireframe Mac

If anything, it was DP vs. Alph, not DP vs. Dixie Kong.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
That reminds me, Bad Box Art Mega Man should have been his own character in Smash because it was his destiny all along. I mean look at this guy, he would fit even very well with the rest of the Smash cast. :troll:

I know that BBA Mega Man in SFxTK left a bitter taste in everybody's mouth; but I just like him as a character... he's pretty funny. (Also, I liked how he plays... Very similar to Mega Man in the first MvC =P).

also, no kidding, this is a pretty awesome painting. XD (except for Sonic from Sonic Boom here. =P).

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
There is no way Dixie could of been a cheap and easy clone like Dark Pit. There are things about her character that actually have to be changed, like her having rocket barrels, her jab being a tail attack (which uh, she doesn't even have, etc). Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario were also planned as alt costumes for their respective characters, while Dixie obviously wasn't. These were pretty much the candidates for last minute clone additions.

Dark Pit
Lucina
Dr. Mario
Alph
The Koopalings
Male WFT
Female Robin
Wireframe Mac

(and :4villagerf:) but this is exactly the matter.

:4darkpit::4drmario: and :4lucina: didn't really take anyone's "slot" except for maybe :4alph:who had very little to differentiate himself from :4olimar:.

:4drmario: was a veteran and was a logical choice to be promoted from an alt if the time was given.

:4lucina: had a different blade altogetherr and her massive popularity out of Awakening to support herself.

:4darkpit: had the potential from alternate weapons in the same family that :4pit: used from Uprising to be a clone

They didn't prevent from us getting Dixie, Impa, and Daisy in their places as clones.

They didn't stop :4mewtwo:, :4lucas:, and Wolf from returning as veterans before DLC.

MainJPW

M.T.A

Day 1 main!
(except for Sonic from Sonic Boom here. =P).
Is it the tape?.......... It's the tape. and extra quills =P

Ew blue arms.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Remember when JonTron had a secret project that he was gonna reveal soon and people thought it was gonna be either Yooka-Laylee or Banjo Kazooie related? Well......

-snip-

MODERATOR NOTE: This is not a social thread dood.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There is no way Dixie could of been a cheap and easy clone like Dark Pit. There are things about her character that actually have to be changed, like her having rocket barrels, her jab being a tail attack (which uh, she doesn't even have), etc. Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario were also planned as alt costumes for their respective characters, while Dixie obviously wasn't. These were pretty much the candidates for last minute clone additions.

Dark Pit
Lucina
Dr. Mario
Alph
The Koopalings
Male WFT
Female Robin
Wireframe Mac

Yeah, I hate the notion of Dixie being an "easy clone."

At the same time, I hate the notion that Dixie can't even be a semiclone. Yes, she's got more than enough traits that she can even be a semiclone, especially a cross between Diddy and DK. She can't be a direct clone of Diddy because there's too many things she would not use, but a semiclone with a few moves changed and different stats? Yeah, I'd say its more than possible; in fact I think its the most likely outcome were Dixie to be added (which would make her easier to make than Rool).

She could also be fully original, but I don't exactly see that happening. I think she'd be closer to Lucas or Wolf in that regard. And no, they're not fully original, they have similar moves, but are still quite different from Ness and Fox/Falco.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yeah, I hate the notion of Dixie being an "easy clone."

At the same time, I hate the notion that Dixie can't even be a semiclone. Yes, she's got more than enough traits that she can even be a semiclone, especially a cross between Diddy and DK. She can't be a direct clone of Diddy because there's too many things she would not use, but a semiclone with a few moves changed and different stats? Yeah, I'd say its more than possible; in fact I think its the most likely outcome were Dixie to be added (which would make her easier to make than Rool).

She could also be fully original, but I don't exactly see that happening. I think she'd be closer to Lucas or Wolf in that regard. And no, they're not fully original, they have similar moves, but are still quite different from Ness and Fox/Falco.
This is kind of her problem in trying to figure out a grounds of "how clone?"

Sure, she could share the Monkey Flip and Banana Peel. She could have Tiny's feather crossbow in place of a Peanut Popgun. Her recovery would need to be her Hairicopter. She could share some tilts, the smashes, and even some aerials. But she's get DK's Cargo Hold with her hair with unique throws, different jab, and and then trying to mix around some other basic matters to help differentiate her.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash , Dark Pit absolutely was not added to promote Uprising. He was added because he was going to be an alt anyway and was important enough in Uprising to stand out of his own accord.

The only character he was even theoretically competing with was Alph. He was chosen over Alph for two reasons: Pit's fighting style is much easier to recreate and balance than Olimar's, and his Final Smash (ostensibly the main reason for his separation from Pit) was very easy to create and still stand out from the original fighter's Final Smash. He is not a product of Sakurai bias any more than Meta Knight or Palutena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom