• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is kind of her problem in trying to figure out a grounds of "how clone?"

Sure, she could share the Monkey Flip and Banana Peel. She could have Tiny's feather crossbow in place of a Peanut Popgun. Her recovery would need to be her Hairicopter. She could share some tilts, the smashes, and even some aerials. But she's get DK's Cargo Hold with her hair with unique throws, different jab, and and then trying to mix around some other basic matters to help differentiate her.
Personally I don't like the idea of banana peal. Honestly, my preferred idea is giving her a variant of DK's ground pound. So, her up special would be closer to DK's up special, her side special would be a variant of Diddy's (though I think it -could- potentially be a lot more different; she'd do her spinning hair attack, maybe even being able to convert it into a full ponytail whirl), and I also think they COULD give her a unique Final Smash; Rambi.

Granted, considering the track record, they might just clone DK's final smash and give her the guitar instead.

I do like the idea of giving her a guitar or bubble gum as moves. However, I think the odds are slim that those would be explored. The main things I see happening are replacing several of Diddy or DK's attacks with attacking with her hair. Or perhaps, like Lucas/Wolf, her standards would be mostly original.

Oh, but she wouldn't use Tiny's feather crossbow, DEFINITELY not. She has gumball popguns in Tropical Freeze. She'd probably use those instead. That could even differentiate her from Diddy more as well; the gumballs could actually stick to the ground and slow opponents down a bit (not stop them all-together).

I mean how can you like a character solely for appearing in multiple games, it doesn't feel like something that would really attract your attention.
impa
So basically, being a reoccuring character is irrelevant if you aren't "dah hip noo charucter u need 2 sapport". Well, ****, guess that means we should have so many goddamn third-parties it'd lose why it's a Nintendo series. :/

Seriously, though; if I was forced by Sakurai to choose between Ridley, who's pretty much the Bowser to Samus' Mario, and Anthony Higgs....which one do you honestly think more people would know (and thus generate more profit)? Certainly not the one-off character who was one of the very few saving factors of an otherwise poorly-written mess of a franchise killer, that's for damn sure.

Reccurring characters are always much more necessary in a crossover fighting game specifically celebrating Nintendo's history than one-offs. That's the same damn reason people loathe Dark Pit's entire existance; he's a last-minute addon because Sakurai just wanted to give him a "unique" Final Smash (which is just a clone of the Light Arrow), and other characters could have been made clones over him, like Dixie Kong. He's literally just tacked on to say "HEY GUYS, KID ICARUS IS RELEVANT NOW! BUY UPRISING!".

I'm pretty sure everyone would be absolutely livid if they put in one of the Tikis over King K.Rool just because they're the hip new villains. Recent appearances don't matter for some characters; they're iconic enough to be considered all-stars. That's why K.Rool is so popular; he's the villain of the DKC games. The Tikis and Snowmads were nice distractions, but the most iconic DK villains are K.Rool and the Kremlings. Ridley is the villain of the Metroid games, the mortal enemy of the main character and the one character with real personal ties to her that isn't one-off. If someone thinks of Metroid characters, they think of Samus, Ridley and Mother Brain.

This is a celebration of Nintendo's history first and foremost, not a advertising bandwagon they can throw random crap on just to sell it. That's why I'm not too keen on Inkling being DLC (though I still respect people who do want Inkling); Smash is celebrating Nintendo's history, not whatever game is the newest. Historical relevance or iconic value should always come before marketing in deciding Smash fighters.

For example;
  • Sonic is the rival to Mario, having been the biggest threat to Nintendo's career throughout the 1990's.
  • Pac-Man is a gaming legend, having even more reach than Mario himself. He'd deserved a spot in Smash since the begining of it all.
  • Mega Man, despite not being as obviously gigantic as Pac-Man and Sonic, is still a hugely popular series with a large fanbase; and Mega Man also had some of the most popular games on the NES. Everybody who knows about Capcom knows Mega Man.
  • Snake revolutionized the stealth-action game and is the progenitor of the genre. He's pretty much nearing gaming legend status.
These are all third-parties, but the rule applies to first-parties, as well.
  • Charizard is probably one of the most popular Poket Monsters in the world next to Pikachu, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff, and is the mascot of two separate games (Pokemon Red and it's remake, Fire Red). It also plays a large role in the Kanto and Johto seasons of the anime.
  • Fox was the star of a game that pretty much revolutionized an industry, since it was the first 3D console game on a system that had, beforehand, only been able to use sprites. Star Fox 64 also innovated the industry thanks to the Rumble Pak, as well.
  • R.O.B was a Trojan Horse that let Nintendo singlehandedly revive the dying video game industry and ultimately making everything up until now possible. Without R.O.B, the NES would probably have been unable to sell.
  • Samus is the female protagonist. Without Samus, females in gaming would have been stuck as Peach-like characters. That's...pretty damn important. :p
Importance is always a more important factor than anything, because it means the audience knows the character more. I bet if Anthony got revealed, half of the fanbase would just be like "Who the **** is this guy?". If Ridley got revealed, I'm pretty sure everyone would be screaming. :p
bruh. dark pit was not added to make uprising relevant. at all. he was added to be an alt who had more time. Dixie couldnt even be a dark pit level clone just from the tail alone. Dark pit took nearly 0 dev time. If dixie replaced dark pit the only difference between her and diddy would have been that monkey flip had more range and popgun id more damage and nearly nothing else. no one wants that.

that isnt even the reason people dont like him for the most part. . . I thought dark pit hate for incorrect reasons were over but I keep getting proved wrong. . .

THEN EXPLAIN ICE CLIMBERS. EXPLAIN! EXPLAAAIINNN!
retro. exception to the rule.

EDIT dang it wintropy. . .

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There is no way Dixie could of been a cheap and easy clone like Dark Pit. There are things about her character that actually have to be changed, like her having rocket barrels, her jab being a tail attack (which uh, she doesn't even have), etc. Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario were also planned as alt costumes for their respective characters, while Dixie obviously wasn't. These were pretty much the candidates for last minute clone additions.

Dark Pit
Lucina
Dr. Mario
Alph
The Koopalings
Male WFT
Female Robin
Wireframe Mac

If anything, it was DP vs. Alph, not DP vs. Dixie Kong.
This post has my aproval!

diddy aproval.png

What about Impa exactly? I know you guys like to do one-liners here, but can you please be specific?
one of impa's biggest things is that she appears in a bunch of games, even if most are minor and she is more of a name than a character because every other role is completely different, people still want her to replace shiek who has been in since melee . . .as a shiek clone.

something similar could be said about medusa being in more games.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
one of impa's biggest things is that she appears in a bunch of games, even if most are minor and she is more of a name than a character because every other role is completely different, people still want her to replace shiek who has been in since melee . . .as a shiek clone.

To be fair Medusa has been in EVERY game. That says a lot compared to most other characters.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
What about Impa exactly? I know you guys like to do one-liners here, but can you please be specific?
Impa has had the following going for her in the last five years of Nintendo-verse:

- A strong redesign so much so that people now hear the name and think of her Skyward Sword look or hybridization of that and her Hyrule Warriors design (which in and of itself is an amalgamation of all the young/captain of the Hyrule guard looks and Skyward Sword's final design)

- Bumped up to a tier all her own by series creators and Miyamoto himself as per liner notes in Hyrule Historia stating that she is just as important as the Triforce Trio and is reincarnated with them regularly. Skyward Sword's incarnation also sets a new precedent for the lineage of "Impas" as a cross between Zelda's personal "dark knight" and wisdom imparting elder.

- A prominent role as the second revealed playable character in a first time ever offshoot series spearheaded by the series director and Koei-Tecmo, a role in which she flourished with a unique and distinct set of skills.

Even without taking those into account, we're now at a point in Smash Bros.' life span where there is an increased demand for characters and almost every single A+ tier (and even most B+ tier) additions have been exhausted. A character like Impa can be considered as something of a Daisy to make Mario series comparisons, except Impa manages to have even more going for herself through in series relevance she gained in the interim.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
You know what I find strange?

I would love Ridley and King K. Rool, but I need to see how they would function in the game. K. Rool has a strange build, the closest thing being Dedede who has what would likely be a very different plays tyle, with stubby legs and a large body and arms. Ridley is quite large with a bulky frame including wings and a tail.

I would like these characters but can't pin down their movement styles.

To be fair Medusa has been in EVERY game. That says a lot compared to most other characters.
nope. 2 of 3.

was barely even there for Uprising.
4 chapters of talking and only like 3 lines for all but 9.

also unrelated but ill probably be making a group for ALL deconfirmed characters. chrom ridley waluigi etc. they will all have a public place. I have ideas for mods but i know they probably dont want it. will be completely open. would start now but ap testing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I would love Ridley and King K. Rool, but I need to see how they would function in the game. K. Rool has a strange build, the closest thing being Dedede who has what would likely be a very different plays tyle, with stubby legs and a large body and arms. Ridley is quite large with a bulky frame including wings and a tail.

I'm imagining that King K. Rool would be Bowser with projectiles........Well......More projectiles than just Flame Breath.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
nope. 2 of 3.

So she's been in two games. That's more than the other villains, and her name is recognisable even to people who don't play videogames.

MainJPW

M.T.A

K.Rools Paon design has longer legs than the Rare design, but the gut is massive. I can imagine his arms being bent when he jumps.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The thing is, Sheik has been in since Melee as a swap of Zelda. The problem with Impa is her lack of originality. The only real things about Impa in Zelda games are things that can also be attributed to Sheik. When Sheik was simply a transformation of Zelda it wasn't that big of a deal, but as a separate character its annoying. The only reason I'm really ok with it is that she was originally part of a swap of Zelda.

Impa, on the other hand, in concept is the same as Sheik; she COULD be made original, but outside of Hyrule Warriors she has no material to work with. And Hyrule Warriors simply won't get represented in Smash. At the same time, I can't see Impa outright replacing Sheik at this point, but I could possibly see Impa become an alt of Sheik now that alts are a thing.

Regardless of circumstances surrounding her potential, Impa is definitely the next best option for a new Zelda character unless they start making more recurring characters in future games.

- Bumped up to a tier all her own by series creators and Miyamoto himself as per liner notes in Hyrule Historia stating that she is just as important as the Triforce Trio and is reincarnated with them regularly. Skyward Sword's incarnation also sets a new precedent for
To clarify, Miyamoto specifically noted that Impa originally represented the third part of the Triforce until it became Ganondorf's role in Ocarina of Time. Since then Impa has been far less notable.

All of K. Rool's original boss battles heavily involve the use of projectile attacks. In DKC he mostly jumps around and throws his krown, in DKC2 he uses literally everything via the blunderbuss. But in that game he's got five projectiles that react in many different ways, as well as the opposite of a projectile; a sucking in attack. In DKC3 his projectiles are electricity, and in DK Land 3 its grenades/bombs. In DK64 he also throws his boxing gloves and has shockwaves.

Frankly, I imagine K. Rool as a heavyweight trap style of character.

I'm imagining that King K. Rool would be Bowser with projectiles........Well......More projectiles than just Flame Breath.
I don't get the comparisons to Bowser, really. K. Rool is a lot closer to Dedede than Bowser. The only similarities K. Rool has to Bowser is being green (and even then, only Bowser's outer shell is green), being large, and being reptilian. Well, and being the main antagonist of one of Nintendo's top all-stars.

nope. 2 of 3.

also unrelated but ill probably be making a group for ALL deconfirmed characters. chrom ridley waluigi etc. they will all have a public place. I have ideas for mods but i know they probably dont want it. will be completely open. would start now but ap testing.
I dislike the notion that this makes her any less important. She's extremely important to the backstory of the Kid Icarus series and is the direct rival of Palutena. Plus, she's the main antagonist of the entire first arc of the game, which is also one of the longest story arcs overall. And honestly, if you want to make that comparison, she only really appears during the final battle of the original Kid Icarus, so she appears much more in Uprising.

Plus, Palutena only appears AFTER the final battle in the original Kid Icarus, as well.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Personally I don't like the idea of banana peal. Honestly, my preferred idea is giving her a variant of DK's ground pound. So, her up special would be closer to DK's up special, her side special would be a variant of Diddy's (though I think it -could- potentially be a lot more different; she'd do her spinning hair attack, maybe even being able to convert it into a full ponytail whirl), and I also think they COULD give her a unique Final Smash; Rambi.

Granted, considering the track record, they might just clone DK's final smash and give her the guitar instead.

I do like the idea of giving her a guitar or bubble gum as moves. However, I think the odds are slim that those would be explored. The main things I see happening are replacing several of Diddy or DK's attacks with attacking with her hair. Or perhaps, like Lucas/Wolf, her standards would be mostly original.

Oh, but she wouldn't use Tiny's feather crossbow, DEFINITELY not. She has gumball popguns in Tropical Freeze. She'd probably use those instead. That could even differentiate her from Diddy more as well; the gumballs could actually stick to the ground and slow opponents down a bit (not stop them all-together).
I played Tropical Freeze with Cranky only in my mild time so I didn't know she had gumball popguns. I was just tossing out some ideas from my, admittedly, fairly limited knowledge of her since my DK history is the original trilogy, Jungle Beat, Returns, and about 3 worlds of Tropical Freeze as P2.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I dislike the notion that this makes her any less important. She's extremely important to the backstory of the Kid Icarus series and is the direct rival of Palutena. Plus, she's the main antagonist of the entire first arc of the game, which is also one of the longest story arcs overall. And honestly, if you want to make that comparison, she only really appears during the final battle of the original Kid Icarus, so she appears much more in Uprising.

Plus, Palutena only appears AFTER the final battle in the original Kid Icarus, as well.
That's the thing with Kid Icarus fans, they'll always be drawn towards interesting new characters like Hades and consider her lack of personality as the thing that hurts her chances. Even if we were to bring up points like her having more backstory with the original cast and having appearances in two games, they'll always say that Viridi and Hades are better options due to having more relevance to the plot of the most recent game. She used to be a hot topic before the game's release and now she's all washed up due to lacking the quirky personalities and one-liners that the new cast had in Kid Icarus Uprising.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa hasn't become less noticable since the Triforce of Power has been asigned to Ganon(dorf). Not at all in the slightest, she actually started appearing in games the first time physically since that moment. :faceplam: I swear Impa detractors don't have their facts right. She's indeed just as important to the key story lines as Link and Zelda, and her name literally means 'to impart'. The fact she's had her revival role in Skyward Sword means quite a lot, no other character in the series has really had this moment in the series. Impa had. And then she became playable, as the first character aside of Link in Hyrule Warriors. She's not a character to take lightly, and I expect her to become even more prominent in upcoming titles. Her rise in popularity is just the beginning.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Impa, pre-n64, was a named character stated in instruction manuals for the NES games.

N64 era, she was a sage who taught you one song and effectively taught Zelda how to Sheik. About as important as Saria, Ruto, and Darunia for her active role and Sheik did more over the span of the game. She roceeded to have less impact on the Oracle games than Marin did for Link's Awakening. She was a named NPC with little active role, but one of few whose name prevailed from a past title.

She was not touched again until Skyward Sword, where she took her most massive role in the series yet affecting the plot around the amount of Ghirahim in the game.

In Link Between Worlds she is present during Link's conversation with Zelda about Yuga's attack on the graveyard chapel and then plays a less impactful version of her OoT identity because she doesn't teach a song or protect Zelda by teaching her how to pose as a Sheikah.

Hyrule Warriors was a breif but intense spark of popularity for her and a few other characters, of which she's the most important person... who doesn't hold a piece of the triforce (technically Cia and Lana hold the triforce of power in the story because they're two parts of the same person) in that game. But in terms of Zelda as "story" it will end up affecting it as much as the CDi games or Link's Crossbow Training as sad as it is to say.

That said, she's the most predominant character who doesn't hold a piece of the Triforce in The Legend of Zelda whose only rival at that tier is.... Tngle.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't prefer Viridi and Hades over Medusa because they're more important or relevant.

I prefer them because I like their characters better. Even so, I don't necessarily want any of them in Smash, with the possible exception of Viridi just because I like her potential playstyle.

On the subject of Palutena, she's the deuteragonist of Uprising and one of two characters that's there from the outset. She may not appear in person very often, but she frames the entire story and is indispensable to the narrative.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I don't prefer Viridi and Hades over Medusa because they're more important or relevant.

I prefer them because I like their characters better. Even so, I don't necessarily want any of them in Smash, with the possible exception of Viridi just because I like her potential playstyle.

On the subject of Palutena, she's the deuteragonist of Uprising and one of two characters that's there from the outset. She may not appear in person very often, but she frames the entire story and is indispensable to the narrative.
When playing Uprising, Hades quickly became one of my favorite villains in a video game. That being said, even if I had played it pre-release or even pre-Gematsu days when he was being most suggested I'd be wise enough to know his small chances.

On the Zelda topic, there are only really five contenders not as an assist right now: Impa, Tingle, and to lesser extent Pig Ganon, Tetra, and Vaati.

Impa is the obvious long running Zelda rep.

Tingle is the breakout joke character with a giant Hatebase and even fanbase to boot and the ONLY ZELDA CHARACTER TO EVER GET HIS OR HER OWN SPINOFF.

Pig Ganon is the other iconic form of Ganon and would be unique with a Trident and Magic, and would add another villain and heavyweight

Tetra is a popular character from the Toon side of the series that (if Spirit Tracks is any indication) will likely continue to appear alongside Toon Link, aside from being a Pirate with a unique play style and a new female character, besides being a personal favorite of mine (Even though I think female is a BS reason for inclusion it is a plus as far as merit)

And Vaati is the second-most recurring Villain in the series behind incarnations of Ganon and would be unique and would please those in his decent sized vocal fanbase he has amassed as an Ensemble Darkhorse, like me.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Not to take this out on you or anything, but:

Can we please stop saying "disconfirmed characters" already? Motion to call them previously appearing or (currently) non-playable characters. The long and short of it is no one here is Sakurai, and the man will do whatever the hell he wants if it suits goals we have no inkling of. The narrative the net is pushing with this stuff is quite frankly disheartening.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Not to take this out on you or anything, but:

Can we please stop saying "disconfirmed characters" already? Motion to call them previously appearing or (currently) non-playable characters. The long and short of it is no one here is Sakurai, and the man will do whatever the hell he wants if it suits goals we have no inkling of. The narrative the net is pushing with this stuff is quite frankly disheartening.
Was that intentional?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't get the comparisons to Bowser, really. K. Rool is a lot closer to Dedede than Bowser. The only similarities K. Rool has to Bowser is being green (and even then, only Bowser's outer shell is green), being large, and being reptilian. Well, and being the main antagonist of one of Nintendo's top all-stars.
What I get from King K. Rool is this:
He has projectiles
He is powerful
He is fast
He is heavy
When you put it all together you get a heavyweight with decent speed and power. Things that are all found in Bowser. As far as how he is played, I think he will be much different, but stats wise...Bowser. Gameplay wise I think.....You know what? I'm I'll let math do the talking. :4bowser:+:4bowserjr:=King K. Rool

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
He has projectiles
He is powerful
He is fast
He is heavy
When you put it all together you get a heavyweight with decent speed and power. Things that are all found in Bowser. As far as how he is played, I think he will be much different, but stats wise...Bowser. Gameplay wise I think.....You know what? I'm I'll let math do the talking. :4bowser:+:4bowserjr:=King K. Rool
More or less.

K. Rool's modus operandi is that he's never consistent and he plays dirty: he's always trying to outwit his opponent, and to that end, he will resort to any underhanded tactic necessary to crush his enemies under his scaly heel. From playing dead and psyching you out with a false Kredits montage, to turning invisible and shooting control-reversing gas clouds, he's totally unpredictable and utterly ruthless.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He has projectiles
He is powerful
He is fast
He is heavy
:4bowser:+:4kirby:=:4charizard:
:4samus:=:4megaman:
:4mario:+:4bowser:=:4wario:
:4peach:=:rosalina:
:4mewtwo:=:4lucario:

I can do that too.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Was that intentional?
...no actually, especially since I want them in. :laugh:

Edit: I was on the Medusa train for two not so stellar reasons in the past (villainess and more of Cree Summer's voice Kreygasm) and I'd be so cool with the idea still if there were another spot up for grabs for Uprising's wonderful deities (partial to Viridi for stupid hijinx with Pit & Palu, but respect Hades as one of Nintendo's overall best personalities).

Dark Pit kinda threw a wrench in that plan by being the Uprising promotee and I don't think the franchise is currently big enough to warrant four characters. Here's hoping Smash 5 and a Kid Icarus home console game changes that!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So we in the Impa thread have been discussing her moveset. And how would everyone like it if she was a rather slow character in mobility, light weighted, but has incredible jumps and airspeed as well as very fast attacks that easily combo into each other. She'd carry around a Timeshift Stone with magic, which would allow her to slow down time and opponents for a brief moment making her moveset more effective. She'd have the barrier to to add in her defensive play, and for her Smashes and Aerials she'd be able to summon the spears and swords from Skyward Sword giving her added range to and somewhat of a zoning game.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So we in the Impa thread have been discussing her moveset. And how would everyone like it if she was a rather slow character in mobility, light weighted, but has incredible jumps and airspeed as well as very fast attacks that easily combo into each other. She'd carry around a Timeshift Stone with magic, which would allow her to slow down time and opponents for a brief moment making her moveset more effective. She'd have the barrier to to add in her defensive play, and for her Smashes and Aerials she'd be able to summon the spears and swords from Skyward Sword giving her added range to and somewhat of a zoning game.
That's actually way cooler than "shadowy ninja".

I've also quietly supported Impa, I think she'd be a neat choice of character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think he was using it a case against K. Rool, just demonstrating how he'd play.

If it helps educate people, there's no harm in drawing the comparison.
Whoops...

Sounds kind of like :falcomelee:.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
See I wanted all of this (I'm also glad that I wasn't the only one who thought of time powers -- before we found out about the no transformation thing, I came up with a move set revolving around her transforming between her young battle ready self and her ethereal time sage self both from Skyward Sword), but with her being fast as hell or having a means of covering distance quickly.

Also, Timeshift Stone Grenade. Think about the shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom