• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wouldn't it be twistedly ironic if all the "Forbidden Seven" from Brawl became playable through DLC? Only four more characters to go... :evil: (But seriously, can you imagine the extreme salt if this happened? People would be furious for years afterwards.)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
20 DLC characters? Oh god... my wallet... :laugh: I used to think that we were only going to get 5 or 6 characters altogether but with the Ryu and Roy development I wouldn't be surprised if we got at least a whole row's worth (9 or 10).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wouldn't it be twistedly ironic if all the "Forbidden Seven" from Brawl became playable through DLC? Only four more characters to go... :evil: (But seriously, can you imagine the extreme salt if this happened? People would be furious for years afterwards.)
I don't understand...why would this make people upset?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Guess we will finally find out who this mysterious Pra_Mai is then! :colorful:

And I don't mind seeing the rest of the Forbidden seven making it in. (Except Toon sheik)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I know Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik would undoubtedly cause a buttload of butthurt at the very least.
I'm pretty sure that Toon Sheik is supposed to be Tetra, which I, for one, would love to see. Toon Zelda is okay too I guess.
If Pra Mai is actually Plusle and Minun (don't think it is, but whatever) then I would like that.
Everyone wants Dixie Kong, so there's that.
The only one I'd mind personally is Roy, but...yeah.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Guess we will finally find out who this mysterious Pra_Mai is then! :colorful:

And I don't mind seeing the rest of the Forbidden seven making it in. (Except Toon sheik)
I'd actually be on board with "Toon Sheik" if it wound up being Tetra like some people speculated back in the day. Dixie would be great too. Really iffy on Toon Zelda (normal Zelda is already garbage) and whatever the hell Pra_Mai is supposed to be.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well we already got Dr.Mario and Mewtwo and if this thing is true. Roy as well. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised if Dixie and Toon Zelda are also a part of the pre-ballot DLC.

I'd actually be on board with "Toon Sheik" if it wound up being Tetra like some people speculated back in the day. Dixie would be great too. Really iffy on Toon Zelda (normal Zelda is already garbage) and whatever the hell Pra_Mai is supposed to be.
I don't think Toon Sheik was actually Tetra, seems pretty pointless to call her "Toon Sheik" imo. But if she was meant to be Tetra then I'm all on board for her too.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Toon Zelda would probably just end up being an objectively better version of Zelda.
Really, I want Toon Ganondorf to be a decloned version of Ganondorf...but that would never happen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't really like Ryu or Roy but I will say that their strongly probable leak makes me a lot more optimistic about the DLC for this game. Given the leak, I'm kind of hoping that Nintendo will throw in another character in their E3 presentation just to stay ahead of the game (unless more characters get leaked in the Lucas patch and then I'll just laugh myself stupid at that point).

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Unless you mean Goku from the Famicom games (the video game created one). Once Sakurai states all characters that have appeared in Video games are eligible, then Goku for Smash brothers is possible.

The addition of Third Party characters would mean less because of how much are being added. It will be more like the club that everyone can get in.

In this speculation, it is now less about Nintendo's All-Stars and more about every character that touched a Nintendo console.

The number will just keep on getting bigger until some guidelines are placed.

Adding in more Third Party characters in influx would also undermine the value of these characters getting in.

So are, about, 40 other video game characters.

It is also about Nintendo's Family alongside Nintendo's History. Just take any video game character who has appeared on a Nintendo console and *plop* they are in. Nintendo's Franchises benefit from being playable in Smash Brothers, unless the Third Party characters have an exclusive deal with Nintendo, then it does not benefit them in the slightest.
Because Ryu, Snake, Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman are just characters that have "touched a Nintendo console". They don't have any other redeeming qualities at all.

This is one character, Ryu, one of the most famous video game characters in existence, arguably moreso then some of the other 3rd party cast, yet your talking as if he's bringing the entirety of the Street Fighter cast with him. He isn't. Might open the gates for a few other 3rd party characters, but the game isn't going to suddenly get flooded by 20 more third party characters (EVEN THEN there'd be twice as many Nintendo characters in the game)

The more Third Party characters you add in, the less it becomes about Nintendo's History and more about advertising for Third Party Companies.
3rd party characters that are part of Nintendo's history makes it not Nintendo's history?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't particularly care about Ryu, but this does open up mostly good things.

Street Fighter 5 is exclusive to PS4 and PC, so Ryu getting in Smash despite the lack of any Nintendo releases only comes back to bite the people who kept saying Snake was never coming back because of MGSV not coming to the Wii U.

Also proof that third parties can even be DLC, which some people doubted for whatever reason.

Ryu and Roy could indicate that we're getting quite a bit of DLC... Roy himself being a veteran that most people discarded as never coming back, so that's only more points for Snake's return.

The only negative thing to me is the fact that Ryu is another Capcom character. And that it opens the door for the likes of Bayonetta.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I will have to disagree with some points;.. although you got some of them right. =P

About his closure with Nintendo, is bigger than some third parties highly requested for now.. for instance Rayman; ... Ryu just skipped the Nintendo 64 and (obviously) the Virtual Boy (even though, Capcom had planned a SSFII version for that, lol)... if you count re-releases, he's also on Wii U.. with more games even than Sonic. lol. .. every main game of his franchise, with just two exceptions, was on Nintendo systems... as I said previously, he was among names like Chrono and Mega Man in the SNES era.

About being requested.. yeah, I kinda agree, 'cause nobody would think about him, with Mega Man being a so natural fit from Capcom.. but, he's already in the game, and if there's some other Capcom character that deserves this spot... it's Ryu. :\/

actually I'm not seeing his reception as "not hyped".. I'm feeling more a mixed reaction... and in the aspect of marketing he'll be very welcomed;.. can you imagine those SF comptitive people going into Smash4 just by Ryu? It's amazing! A big deal! XD
The last mainline Street Fighter game that was on a Nintendo system, excluding the 3ds port and the VC, was on the SNES. He shows up in spin-offs now and again, but he also does that on the other systems as well, plus they get the main games. It's like Final Fantasy. Sure it has a Nintendo presence, but it's mostly been spin-offs since the SNES; it has a much larger presence elsewhere. Though even FF has a bigger spin-off presence than Ryu does frankly.

It's more like every main game of his franchise, with just two exceptions, was not on Nintendo systems.

This prediction roster is not final.
You've taken a step backwards. Three Nintendo newcomers is absurd compared to every vet and eight third-parties.

And I see popularity has once again been thrown out the window. Even though there's an official ballot...

:facepalm:

Honestly it's really really bad.

Last edited:
Consider the possible Third Party Candidates for Smash 4:

Simon Belmont
Bomber Man
Goemon
Roll (Megaman)
Zero (Megaman X)
Strider Hiryu
Tron Bonne
Captain Commando
Zangief
Guile
Solid Snake
Tales of Character
Soul Caibur Character
Tekken Character
Klonoa
Sir Arthur
Chris Redfield
Jill Valentine
Albert Wesker
Felicia (Dark Stalkers)
Knuckles
Tails
Eggman
Ristar
Vectorman
Golden Axe character
Protoman
Vile (Megaman X)
Ken
Akuma
Blanka

Whose to say when the Third Party characters will stop? There are TONS of Third Party characters more recognizable than Nintendo's characters that would take 40% of the roster, even more.
ok so because one more 3rd party from a company is added magically a bunch more are? to the point we have 40%? that is an absurd amount of hyperbole.

The gates arent open for a bunch of extra new characters. They just let one piece of royalty in. The peasants wont follow.

also you didnt put viewtiful Joe on that list. I am dissapointed

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Popularly requested characters in my DLC roster:
Rayman
Dixie
Inklings
Chorus Kids
Snake
Lucas
Mewtwo
Bayonetta
Ice Climbers
Roy
Professor Layton

Is it really that bad?

Last edited:
I heard a theory
Mega Man is going to be bought buy Nintendo meaning Ryu, the mascot according to Capcom is the Capcom rep. PLZ!
Nintendo buying capcom/sega/ sonic/mega man have been going around since I joined this site. probably the first time it's had any merit but Capcom honestly seems to be in a ggod spot to me so I kind of doubt it. Especially with SFV's current position.

Nintendo and capcom really have a weird relationship dont they?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Because Ryu, Snake, Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman are just characters that have "touched a Nintendo console". They don't have any other redeeming qualities at all.
Because that is all the Third Party characters will mean if there is no guideline to them. If all of these other Third Party characters get in what makes Ryu, Snake, Sonic, Megaman and Pacman's inclusion so important? Getting in a game where practically everyone who showed up on a Nintendo console back in the day?

This is one character, Ryu, one of the most famous video game characters in existence, arguably moreso then some of the other 3rd party cast, yet your talking as if he's bringing the entirety of the Street Fighter cast with him. He isn't. Might open the gates for a few other 3rd party characters, but the game isn't going to suddenly get flooded by 20 more third party characters (EVEN THEN there'd be twice as many Nintendo characters in the game)
There are no guidelines to how many third party characters we can have and how much from each franchise they are allowing. Is there any limit to Ryu not bringing in handful of his buddies in? What about Megaman?

ok so because one more 3rd party from a company is added magically a bunch more are? to the point we have 40%? that is an absurd amount of hyperbole.
Because there is nothing stopping them from getting in unless stated otherwise by Nintendo/Sakurai.

The gates arent open for a bunch of extra new characters. They just let one piece of royalty in. The peasants wont follow.
There is no reason given for why the peasants won't follow. If the rumor of Ryu getting in is true, then what is limiting the amount of Third Party characters per franchise in?

also you didnt put viewtiful Joe on that list. I am dissapointed
I also forgot every video game character that has been on Nintendo consoles in the 80s, 90s, 00s and up til now. Crono and Black Mage to state two.

3rd party characters that are part of Nintendo's history makes it not Nintendo's history?
More about advertising than anything, since Third Party companies will want their character in because of the advertising that it brings.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
The last mainline Street Fighter game that was on a Nintendo system, excluding the 3ds port and the VC, was on the SNES. He shows up in spin-offs now and again, but he also does that on the other systems as well, plus they get the main games. It's like Final Fantasy. Sure it has a Nintendo presence, but it's mostly been spin-offs since the SNES; it has a much larger presence elsewhere. Though even FF has a bigger spin-off presence than Ryu does frankly.

It's more like every main game of his franchise, with just two exceptions, was not on Nintendo systems.
Why are you excluding the 3DS port of SSFIV though?.. Why magically this doesn't count? :p .. is like saying that the Xbox 360 didn't get SFIV, cause was just a port from Arcade version. lol...

but no.. The SNES, the GBC and the GBA all got the the Alpha trilogy (which are part of Street Fighter main titles); ... and yet, there's no point to not counting his presence in games like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, it's like underestimate his history; is not convenient for this count.

And again, even if you doesn't count anything aside the SNES; Street Fighter II was that huge there.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I heard a theory
Mega Man is going to be bought buy Nintendo meaning Ryu, the mascot according to Capcom is the Capcom rep. PLZ!
Again, the only reason Nintendo would've added Ryu is if Nintendo got some special deal out of Capcom. This is one possibility, another is that they're commissioning a Capcom crossover and Ryu in Smash as a cross-promotion.

There's no way we're getting Ryu without Nintendo getting SOMETHING out of it.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Is he closely tied to Nintendo? Not really. Does he show up a lot on Nintendo systems? Not particularly.
It's not like SF2 made the best-selling SNES games list three times, or Nintendo held an event for SSFIV3D's launch, or Mario's moveset in Super Smash Bros is inspired by Ryu. Ryu's been on just about every Nintendo system at least once. Not counting bootlegs, we have:
Every iteration of Street Fighter II on SNES and Game Boy, and Wii VC if you count that (and if you do the original Street Fighter's on there too).
Street Fighter Alpha on Game Boy
Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES
Street Fighter Alpha 3 on GBA
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo on GBA
Capcom Vs. SNK 2 on Gamecube
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom on Wii
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition on 3DS
Project X Zone on 3DS

The only Nintendo consoles Ryu hasn't made any appearance on (as far as I and Google know) are the NES, Virtual Boy, N64, DS, and Wii U. And I'm pretty sure he was in that Capcom Vs. SNK Card Fighters game on DS, so that leaves 4 out of 12 systems, 3 out of 12 if you count Street Fighter as a whole (Street Fighter 2010). Ryu's been on nine Nintendo systems, beating every other third party but Mega Man (Snake's been on 5, Sonic 6, Pac-Man 8, MM's been on all of them but the Virtual Boy). To say Ryu doesn't show up on a lot of Nintendo systems is to say nonsense.

Street Fighter 2 and arguably the first Street Fighter, also popularized the fighting game genre and also inspired many other fighting games, Smash being one of them if you want to call it a fighting game. I'd say the icon of fighting games fits in a fighting game.

Was he asked for or wanted? Not in the least..
I'm glad you know who everyone did and didn't want. I guess that Ryu support thread from 2013 isn't there, and I guess the occasional people I see elsewhere say "Ryu'd be cool in Smash" don't exist. Every character will be wanted in by somebody. You can bet your ass someone out there wanted Wii Fit Trainer or ROB.

That being said, I don't mind Ryu being in, if he ends up DLC. I'm not a big fan of Street Fighter but it's kind of neat to see how a more traditional fighting game character would play in Smash. Plus, Ryu's theme just gets me pumped the hell up:

Last edited:
Because that is all the Third Party characters will mean if there is no guideline to them. If all of these other Third Party characters get in what makes Ryu, Snake, Sonic, Megaman and Pacman's inclusion so important? Getting in a game where practically everyone who showed up on a Nintendo console back in the day?

There are no guidelines to how many third party characters we can have and how much from each franchise they are allowing. Is there any limit to Ryu not bringing in handful of his buddies in? What about Megaman?

Because there is nothing stopping them from getting in unless stated otherwise by Nintendo/Sakurai.

There is no reason given for why the peasants won't follow. If the rumor of Ryu getting in is true, then what is limiting the amount of Third Party characters per franchise in?

I also forgot every video game character that has been on Nintendo consoles in the 80s, 90s, 00s and up til now. Crono and Black Mage to state two.

More about advertising than anything, since Third Party companies will want their character in because of the advertising that it brings.
is your argument seriously "there is no official statement about how many can get in therefore it is possible for anyone to enter"?

because all i'm seeing is the word "guideline" as if just because there is no official statement that means that anything can happen.

what makes you think more characters will follow? there is no real evidence for it. Just that because technically it is possible?

it's possible Sakurai could add a goomba. he hasnt made an official statement otherwise so it must be going to happen.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know, your mainline Street Fighter argument would hold more water if numbered Street Fighter games where coming out regularly.

Street Fighter 3 Release date- February 4, 1997
(Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, the final version of the game, release in 1999)
Street Fighter 4 Release date -July 18, 2008

There weren't many opportunities for Street Fighter "main line" games to come to Nintendo consoles, and as discussed here, a version of Street Fighter IV did actually release on a Nintendo system.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I think that the only thing that prevented Nintendo to get Street Fighter III on GameCube, is that the experience with Capcom vs. SNK 2 was not that satisfying (sales and control wise).. Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (which includes SFIII 3rd Strike and Hyper SFII) was released on both Xbox and PS2. That said, was not a hardcore problem, probably.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I think that the only thing that prevented Nintendo to get Street Fighter III on GameCube, is that the experience with Capcom vs. SNK 2 was not that satisfying (sales and control wise).. Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (which includes SFIII 3rd Strike and Hyper SFII) was released on both Xbox and PS2. That said, was not a hardcore problem, probably.
Capcom Vs. SNK was a SNK production, if I remember correctly.

Also, as much as I like Adult Gohan/Narrator, I'd really like Ryu's Japanese voice. He can join Marth and Roy in the moonrune corner.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Again, the only reason Nintendo would've added Ryu is if Nintendo got some special deal out of Capcom. This is one possibility, another is that they're commissioning a Capcom crossover and Ryu in Smash as a cross-promotion.

There's no way we're getting Ryu without Nintendo getting SOMETHING out of it.
Knowing Capcom, they probably strong armed them to include Ryu if they wanted to get the rights to use Megaman (AKA the most wanted third party character after Sonic) which would mean they intended Ryu to be DLC from the get-go.

... yeah, this is probably the case...

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Capcom Vs. SNK was a SNK production, if I remember correctly.

Also, as much as I like Adult Gohan/Narrator, I'd really like Ryu's Japanese voice. He can join Marth and Roy in the moonrune corner.
Actually, Capcom vs. SNK is produced and distributed by Capcom;.. SNK handled SvC Chaos and the Card Fighter Series.

and yeah, please, JPN Voice is the best. :3

Twewy

Smash Lord
Hold up. HOLD UP. What if.

E3, Ryu's trailer is shown.

Then they show Nintendo Vs. Capcom.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Frankly, I think this is a lot more likely....

Knowing Capcom, they probably strong armed them to include Ryu if they wanted to get the rights to use Megaman (AKA the most wanted third party character after Sonic) which would mean they intended Ryu to be DLC from the get-go.

... yeah, this is probably the case...
than this, because I simply don't think Nintendo would've agreed to include Mega Man if they were FORCED to include Ryu later. They just wouldn't have included him at all.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

my dreams of teenager. :p (but doubt that would happen, .. would certainly steal Smash4 thunder; even being two different core games, I suppose).

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
If Nintendo Vs. Capcom ever becomes a thing, I will die a happy man.
And then to please those who don't want to play a more traditional fighting game they slowly release every Capcom rep and new Nintendo rep in the game for Smash at a low price of $4 or $5 for both systems :4wario2:

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
is your argument seriously "there is no official statement about how many can get in therefore it is possible for anyone to enter"?
For Third Party characters? Any that showed up on Nintendo consoles back in the day and throughout the many consoles of Nintendo. How far will it bend?

because all i'm seeing is the word "guideline" as if just because there is no official statement that means that anything can happen.
We have nothing stopping them except for Nintendo/Sakurai. Guidelines add rules to who gets in, if no rules are stated, then there is nothing to go by. All we have is: Must have appeared on a Nintendo console and Must be a video game character.

what makes you think more characters will follow? there is no real evidence for it. Just that because technically it is possible?
If Ryu turns out to be true, then that is the real evidence. Characters from the same franchise? I have not seen anything against them.

it's possible Sakurai could add a goomba. he hasnt made an official statement otherwise so it must be going to happen.
The point is about Third Party Guidelines, not Nintendo characters.

ill make the joke again because it was brought up, this time not by me.

nintendo vs capcom announced

Ridley is playable sentinel style

everyone panics

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
About @Scoliosis Jones' Nintendo NX Smash theory.... one thing that would get me to upgrade, more than a graphical fidelity upgrade or one or two bonus characters, is if they combined the stage lists from the Wii U and 3DS versions. It makes sense, as the NX is rumored to be a hybrid console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom