• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Two characters that had no need of being revamped though. That's the thing everyone seems to forget.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
No one plays like Ryu in Smash. Smash doesn't have an all around and versatile zoner.

He'll play unique regardless of him being aesthetically bland. Besides, it's Ryu, people will be hyped as hell.
exactly! and probably they will give him something to homage more the Street Fighter mechanics, .. maybe Focus Attack, or Parry, or an Alpha Counter! =D (MAYBE even an EX bar or Ultra bar! XD).

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
But theres something funny about ryu accually

A previous interview from sakurai he said he might try to get 1 or 2 capcom characters in smash 4

And as for the interview of sakurai forbidding characters that are already in fighting games.

2 things

1 ryu was just a acception i guess (if its real/if becoming dlc)

2 you know the man with his lying (claimed mewtwo was the only dlc character/zero suit samus deconfirmed/and more)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ryu is a much better choice than virtually every other third party being suggested for the ballot. It's mainly just telling how the fanbase has responded. In a not-too-distant past, the fanbase gave the creators of fan games like Smash Bros. Crusade so much crap for adding characters like Ryu, praising Sakurai for keeping the game Nintendo-focused as a gatekeeper. And now, "representing gaming as a whole" is supposed to be looked at as a good development for the series.

Roy would, in general, be getting much less flak if Sakurai had made him the costume-turned-clone to begin with instead of Lucina. He chose the opposite so as to be able to pass the more popular one off as DLC. I can definitely understand the disappointment in that regard.

Fortunately, the prognosis for more DLC is better than I originally thought. Here's hoping for at least Wolf and two ballot newcomers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No one plays like Ryu in Smash. Smash doesn't have an all around and versatile zoner.

He'll play unique regardless of him being aesthetically bland. Besides, it's Ryu, people will be hyped as hell.
He's the kind of character that will get #SmashBros trending on Twitter and Facebook. Gamers and non-gamers recognize him.
This is precisely why I can't really be upset over Ryu (well, other than the fact I'm entirely neutral to Ryu in the first place).
He's like the face of fighting games.

I would have written Ryu off based on Sakurai's actual statement regarding fighting game characters that people misinterpreted to "no fighting game characters period", but I suppose in Ryu's case, it's not just bringing what he can do into account (which isn't very special between the Smash cast) but bringing aspects of Street Fighter itself into Smash.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
even before Smash4 be even mentioned being in development, the Street Fighter director (Yoshinori Ono) said he had the interest to see Capcom characters and Nintendo characters fighting;.. some days passed and he had to apologize in public, since that generated a lot of speculation about a possible crossover between the companies; ...

since Ono just talks about his franchise (Street Fighter), maybe he approached Sakurai for it; .. =)

PS: I posted all the links about the situation in the Ryu thread, btw

---EDIT:
also, think about the benefits of having Ryu in Smash Bros.! ... As any other crossover, he will bring attention from his own fanbase.. you know ... Street Fighter competitive people (most of the same people who says the "Smash Bros. is not a fighting game" nonsense); .. this will be awesome; will unite two kinds of fighting styles.. is bigger than Street Fighter X Tekken or Capcom vs. SNK one day were.

there's no point against Ryu's inclusion;

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
exactly! and probably they will give him something to homage more the Street Fighter mechanics, .. maybe Focus Attack, or Parry, or an Alpha Counter! =D (MAYBE even an EX bar or Ultra bar! XD).
His focus attack could work as an FSmash actually.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Does literally everyone just assume that Roy would play exactly like his Melee counterpart?

Really people...
There:4darkpit:are:4drmario:some:4falco:reasons:4ganondorf:nobody:4lucas:is:4lucina:expecting:4mewtwo:an :4tlink:overhaul. :4lucario:either.

That said... I'm going to doubt this until it's better proven. Across this entire almost 2 years of speculation, we only had one or two leaks that could be construed to being real: The ESRB leak of :4bowserjr::4shulk::4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt:, and Gematsu which is HIGHLY contested to this day. For those two, we have dozens if not hundreds of fake ones that were in depth and looked real. Tower of Smash and ArtsyOmni being the two I'll site there.

Roy... It's to nobody's surprise that I'm apathetic on the side of salty with him coming back if he is as a long standing Fire Emblem and Smash fan. Ryu... is just not an appealing 3rd Party. One because of my entire stance of 3rd Party DLC, two being because he is a highly iconic but overall bland character, third because if he's actual built like a traditional arcade fighter character, he'll likely be the worst one for me to handle after a long history of pain with the genre. Nonetheless, here's a drafted roster if it comes true aka "Screw the rules, I have no merit anymore."

With Roy back, Wolf has a free seat in my book. Ryu makes me just want to toss Snake in for veteran's sake as my 3rd Party DLC concept clearly holds no water anymore. Ganon & K. Rool because long standing villains that deserve a seat. Bandana Dee because 4th major protag of Kirby yada yada yada. Captain Toad for being a less significant to his home series version of BanD who has a bigger overall fanbase because of his spin-off and being part of Mario. Isaac and Inkling have their huge following behind them. Chorus Men kinda have Gematsu, the leftover data, mild popularity, and the recent Japan 3DS release of a Rhythm Heaven game behind them. Donbe & Hikari is pure service to me to get a second Retro I ejoy back on the roster (:popo::icsmelee: see you in Sma5h...) and Ray is because I needed a seat filler. TEAR ME TO BITS, I DON'T CARE ANYMORE.

Roy would, in general, be getting much less flak if Sakurai had made him the costume-turned-clone to begin with instead of Lucina. He chose the opposite so as to be able to pass the more popular one off as DLC. I can definitely understand the disappointment in that regard.

Fortunately, the prognosis for more DLC is better than I originally thought. Here's hoping for at least Wolf and two ballot newcomers.
Ironically, as I've kinda stated a few times on that matter, Lucina and Roy are contrasts in that regard. :4lucina:is actually one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters both in regards for her game and the series as a whole (namely in Japan) while being tossed aside when it came to Smash (as she used her similarity to Marth as a sort of disguise in a much grander plan... and that's all Sakurai used). :roypm:'s popularity stems almost solely from his appearance in Melee, as his title was never internationally released and in his home series he's fairly often seen as one of the worst lords. Just... some food for thought on perspective.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'unno, man, sounds like Pit to me. :3
Ok you got me :lol

Still there's fundamental differences between them. Pit's more of a jack of all trade, Ryu has always leaned more on the defensive side. I'm also curious how he'lk translate to Smash

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ok you got me :lol

Still there's fundamental differences between them. Pit's more of a jack of all trade, Ryu has always leaned more on the defensive side. I'm also curious how he'lk translate to Smash
I know, I'm just being a tease~ ;P

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Ryu is a much better choice than virtually every other third party being suggested for the ballot. It's mainly just telling how the fanbase has responded. In a not-too-distant past, the fanbase gave the creators of fan games like Smash Bros. Crusade so much crap for adding characters like Ryu, praising Sakurai for keeping the game Nintendo-focused as a gatekeeper. And now, "representing gaming as a whole" is supposed to be looked at as a good development for the series.

I'd much rather have Bk than any other third party but I'll take Ryu I suppose.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I honestly thought that at this point, Rayman would be the unique Third Party character considered; since Nintendo wouldn't suffer by a licensing nightmare by his image being already authorized to be in Smash;

but Ryu is a nice surprise, and just make so much sense.. doesn't even need to bother to try conflict Mega Man's presence in the game; Ryu is for Fighting Games what's Mario for platforms. I'm very excited about this (and I can even forgive the Roy's inevitable inclusion :p ).

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't think Ryu and Banjo are incompatible. I'd love to see both.

On another note, it seems like everyone has pretty much accepted that this is the real deal by now. Is this the case?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
That said... I'm going to doubt this until it's better proven. Across this entire almost 2 years of speculation, we only had one or two leaks that could be construed to being real: The ESRB leak of :4bowserjr::4shulk::4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt:, and Gematsu which is HIGHLY contested to this day. For those two, we have dozens if not hundreds of fake ones that were in depth and looked real. Tower of Smash and ArtsyOmni being the two I'll site there.
It's been verified by multiple sources that the files are indeed in the 3DS ROM, by the same people who found other hidden data in the game. This isn't a leak (Why do people keep calling it that?), it's actual data found in the game. Actual data that was (Unintentionally?) patched INTO the game at that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There:4darkpit:are:4drmario:some:4falco:reasons:4ganondorf:nobody:4lucas:is:4lucina:expecting:4mewtwo:an :4tlink:overhaul. :4lucario:either.

Roy... It's to nobody's surprise that I'm apathetic on the side of salty with him coming back if he is as a long standing Fire Emblem and Smash fan. Ryu... is just not an appealing 3rd Party. One because of my entire stance of 3rd Party DLC, two being because he is a highly iconic but overall bland character, third because if he's actual built like a traditional arcade fighter character, he'll likely be the worst one for me to handle after a long history of pain with the genre. Nonetheless, here's a drafted roster if it comes true aka "Screw the rules, I have no merit anymore."

With Roy back, Wolf has a free seat in my book. Ryu makes me just want to toss Snake in for veteran's sake as my 3rd Party DLC concept clearly holds no water anymore. Ganon & K. Rool because long standing villains that deserve a seat. Bandana Dee because 4th major protag of Kirby yada yada yada. Captain Toad for being a less significant to his home series version of BanD who has a bigger overall fanbase because of his spin-off and being part of Mario. Isaac and Inkling have their huge following behind them. Chorus Men kinda have Gematsu, the leftover data, mild popularity, and the recent Japan 3DS release of a Rhythm Heaven game behind them. Donbe & Hikari is pure service to me to get a second Retro I ejoy back on the roster (:popo::icsmelee: see you in Sma5h...) and Ray is because I needed a seat filler. TEAR ME TO BITS, I DON'T CARE ANYMORE.

Ironically, as I've kinda stated a few times on that matter, Lucina and Roy are contrasts in that regard. :4lucina:is actually one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters both in regards for her game and the series as a whole (namely in Japan) while being tossed aside when it came to Smash (as she used her similarity to Marth as a sort of disguise in a much grander plan... and that's all Sakurai used). :roypm:'s popularity stems almost solely from his appearance in Melee, as his title was never internationally released and in his home series he's fairly often seen as one of the worst lords. Just... some food for thought on perspective.
The whole "Roy's popularity only coming from Melee" is a misconception made famous by the Roy haters. FE6 was one of the most well received entries in the FE series in Japan.

Also, your neglecting the fact that none of the characters you mentioned were of critical need of a changed moveset like Roy is with Lucina in.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
So Ryu being a "icon" justifies his inevitable shoto moveset, but Roy's status as a clone means his fanbase should be ignored? Hypocrites.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Stronger together right?

#VoteKonami.

Poor Frogger, he's practically the only Konami character that barely gets any love these days. Sure his modern gamers were average, but he would be a great addition in Smash.

Probably something to do with some kind of deal with Capcom.
Inb4 we get Sophitia and Dig Dug in the future because Namco bias. :troll:

Last edited:
If roy gets reworked i will actually like him less.

No reason for them to spend extra time on making him unique when there could be other unique newcomers far more wotthy of time being used.

Unless its PM roy.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Poor Frogger, he's practically the only Konami character that barely gets any love these days. Sure his modern gamers were average, but he would be a great addition in Smash.

I'd like DigDug. His enemies are already in Smash Run. Though let's face it, DigDug is best for an Assist trophy due to limited moveset, but he would be the only Smash Fighter with a move that's a clear-cut Fatality. (DigDug for Mortal Kombat!)

As for the Indie titles and characters people are asking for check out this game http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/16/runbow-guest-appearances-include-shovel-knight-rusty-more

Commander Video already has a trophy, Shovel Knight has an Omni Smash art version and a large following, and Steamworld Dig is awesome. Nintendo needs to snatch these Indie IPs up while they have them giving Nintendo their preference.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The whole "Roy's popularity only coming from Melee" is a misconception made famous by the Roy haters. FE6 was one of the most well received entries in the FE series in Japan.

Also, your neglecting the fact that none of the characters you mentioned were of critical need of a changed moveset like Roy is with Lucina in.
I don't think it really matter where the popularity comes from. It's an opinion after all. People tend to have all sorts of reasons to like a character, and there really isn't a standard to say a particular reason is more valid than the other.

One person may K. Rool simply because he's green (just saying) while another may like him because of his boss fight and the music. While most would think the former's reason is shallow, at the end of the day, they both have the same amount of say over the roster (How much say, is a topic for another day.)

:231:

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

I'm secretly advocating for a Snake and Frogger Duo character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd like DigDug. His enemies are already in Smash Run. Though let's face it, DigDug is best for an Assist trophy due to limited moveset, but he would be the only Smash Fighter with a move that's a clear-cut Fatality. (DigDug for Mortal Kombat!)
Which is why Lloyd Irving would be my second choice because Tales is practically Namco's second most relevant IP these days. Besides, we need ourselves a dual swordsman in Smash one day. :awesome:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If Roy and Ryu are in fact coming it allows there to be less of a gap between character inclusions. Characters from the ballot probably won't be worked on until after Oct 3, and seeing how long Mewtwo took the first character probably wouldn't be released until Spring of next year.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Frogger would be awesome. Just one of the numerous better konami choices than snake. :troll:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Man, Taizo, the protagonist of DigDug, had a hilariously "hardcore" redesign in Namco X Capcom

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I prefer the original Dig Dug design to be in.
I think he has ok chance in getting in, perhaps he might've been planned given the Smash Run enemies maybe?
I might be grasping.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hey, it still looks like Taizo. Worlds better than "Bomberman Zero". *shudders*
Made that same comparison before. I really don't hate that Taizo design, although a more classic look would fit Smash better.

Anyway, the best "hardcore" Bomberman is clearly Blue Samus, I mean NES Cover Art Bomberman.

compared to.....

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Something I don't get. Why Roy? A large part of the FE fanbase hates him, as in, the people who would buy FE. Most smash Roy fans probably haven't played FE. If he's a cookie-cutter clone then I don't think I'll buy him.
Ryu's latest appearances on Nintendo SNES SF2. Tatsunoko vs Capcom Wii. SSF4 and Project X Zone for the 3DS with a sequel coming soon. Why Ryu?

Something I don't get. Why Roy? A large part of the FE fanbase hates him, as in, the people who would buy FE. Most smash Roy fans probably haven't played FE. If he's a cookie-cutter clone then I don't think I'll buy him.
Ryu's latest appearances on Nintendo SNES SF2. Tatsunoko vs Capcom Wii. SSF4 and Project X Zone for the 3DS with a sequel coming soon. Why Ryu?
Clone means easy to make

Popular means he would be bought

easy and profitable means its uber efficient. He was planned for brawl anyway.

. . .actually every dlc character but ryu was planned or in brawl

Why ryu? Because he is the face of fihhting games. He is about iconic as it gets. All star among all stars.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Roy is popular and relatively easy to make.

Ryu is popular and represents a different genre of gaming.

Not a fan of the leak, but those are my rationals behind the characters. Ryu would really be cool, but such a massive 3rd party door gets opened with his addition. On top of Rayman, Snake, and Banjo & Kazooie, then there would be Tails, Dig Dug, and even Bomberman to add to my list. Christ almighty!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Clone means easy to make

Popular means he would be bought

easy and profitable means its uber efficient. He was planned for brawl anyway.

. . .actually every dlc character but ryu was planned or in brawl

Why ryu? Because he is the face of fihhting games. He is about iconic as it gets. All star among all stars.
Roy is popular and relatively easy to make.

Ryu is popular and represents a different genre of gaming.

Not a fan of the leak, but those are my rationals behind the characters. Ryu would really be cool, but such a massive 3rd party door gets opened with his addition. On top of Rayman, Snake, and Banjo & Kazooie, then there would be Tails, Dig Dug, and even Bomberman to add to my list. Christ almighty!
A majority of FE fans hate Roy and Ryu may be the most iconic fighting game character, but his franchise has only been on Nintendo systems twice, maybe three times

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'll quote myself;

Just for make people aware about Street Fighter story on Nintendo (or at least, Ryu story on Nintendo);

EDIT: I just noticed that Nintendo systems got almost every entry of the Street Fighter main series.. lacking just any of the variations of Street Fighter III, and of course, Street Fighter V being a Sony founded game;
(also we never got any of the Street Fighter EX games, but they're all SpinOFFs, not made by Capcom);

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
A majority of FE fans hate Roy and Ryu may be the most iconic fighting game character, but his franchise has only been on Nintendo systems twice, maybe three times
I realize that most FE fans hate Roy. And Street Fighters been on Nintendo plenty of times. Those are just my rationals for them assuming they're in. I'm just as skeptical as everyone else, trying to piece together what I can.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm pissed that Roy and Ryu are considered better DLC options than other characters though. Especially Roy. Lucas was brought back and was the second most requested character. Wolf, the exact same, only more popular and has a new ****ing game coming out

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'm pissed that Roy and Ryu are considered better DLC options than other characters though. Especially Roy. Lucas was brought back and was the second most requested character. Wolf, the exact same, only more popular and has a new ****ing game coming out
It's not like these are the only characters were getting, we're still more than likely getting Wolf as well as more characters after the fact.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Especially Roy? Well, I want Pichu back, so I shouldn't really talk :p

YAY! PICHU! :3

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Especially Roy? Well, I want Pichu back, so I shouldn't really talk :p

YAY! PICHU! :3
I will strictly talking about the ones recently discovered
It's not like these are the only characters were getting, we're still more than likely getting Wolf as well as more characters after the fact.
Here's the thing: Roy and Lucas aren't getting a new game. Roy's appearance in Awakening was also DLC but that included every other lordl Lucas is literally from a dead franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom