• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Phoenix Wright confirmed

Still don't get the Snake hate. Or dislike. Whatever you want to call it.

He's a legendary gaming character. He's a Smash veteran. He's unique. He's goofy. What more do you want?

Also, this pretty much confirms what I've been saying about 3rd Parties. They have to be high profile video game characters to get into Smash. If Ryu gets in, that's FIVE 3RD PARTY CHARACTERS THAT HAVE PROVEN THIS.
The only reason I wouldn't want Snake in would be so we could have a repeat of the MSG2 Raiden bait-and-switch troll. Let it be the last contract Kojima negotiates for Konami.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Don't forget about these
I can't stand this anymore....

It's just too much.

Like, if they really go for multiple page CSS for the 3ds....

This means a crap ton of dlc.....

Then stages.....

And apparently, mode expansions....

I CAN;T GUYS!

But of course, I WILL pass out if Paper Mario is announced.....

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
They could make it so that he has combo inputs or an EX meter.
By combo input's, did you mean auto-changing moves like the Neutral A Combo and Marth's Dancing Blade, or stuff like the quarter-circle-forward-punch thing? If the former, then it's basically rehashing the basic concept of every fighting game character ever (including the ones in smash), while if the latter, I think that would go against the concept of having basic move set inputs that everybody adheres to.

And did you forget Lucario's Aura or Mac's KO meter?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
By combo input's, did you mean auto-changing moves like the Neutral A Combo and Marth's Dancing Blade, or stuff like the quarter-circle-forward-punch thing? If the former, then it's basically rehashing the basic concept of every fighting game character ever (including the ones in smash), while if the latter, I think that would go against the concept of having basic move set inputs that everybody adheres to.

And did you forget Lucario's Aura or Mac's KO meter?
It would still differentiate him significantly from Mario/Luigi/Doc.

One thing I'm starting to wonder though, is who they could possibly save for Smash 5? Although now that I'm thinking about it, I can actually think of quite a few, so I guess it's not that big an issue.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Is it just me or does the fact that the song is remixed(?), and there's a victory theme clip pretty much seal this?

Welcome to Smash Ryu!...?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I bet a lot of people would have gave Roy a really low percentage in the RTC thread if it weren't for this leak/rumor lol. Ryu on the other hand would have gotten 0% by nearly everyone in that thread.

Didn't know Snake had haters. Some people just want to hate on characters for the most stupid reasons.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

He's a legendary gaming character. He's a Smash veteran. He's unique. He's goofy. What more do you want?

Also, this pretty much confirms what I've been saying about 3rd Parties. They have to be high profile video game characters to get into Smash. If Ryu gets in, that's FIVE 3RD PARTY CHARACTERS THAT HAVE PROVEN THIS.
Alot of the people here only like super cartoony/anime characters. :/

Anyway, I wonder if Nintendo/Sakurai are just going to say f*** it & add in all of the cut characters. Wolf, Snake, Ivysaur, Squritle, even Pichu; I can't imagine they'd be hard to make since they already have movesets/dialogue & people would buy them all (except Pichu lol).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Have remixed songs been found? The only ones I've seen are the versions from SF2.
Might have been my mistake. I have a chat with friends of mine and I thought one of them said it was remixed. But I listened to the clip and I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
So to paraphrase the last few pages, people are finally seeing the light and realizing that Smash DLC is going to be a huge deal?

Took long enough :p

Reaffirming my beliefs on DLC characters for funsies, 8 more characters (Well, counting Lucas and Mewtwo, so 6. EDIT: And Roy and Ryu. So I guess 4?) at absolute minimum, no maximum until Iwata says stop. Nintendo could support Smash with DLC to the very end of the Wii U's lifecycle and beyond and it would still be profitable.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So to paraphrase the last few pages, people are finally seeing the light and realizing that Smash DLC is going to be a huge deal?

Took long enough :p

Reaffirming my beliefs on DLC characters for funsies, 8 more characters (Well, counting Lucas and Mewtwo, so 6. EDIT: And Roy and Ryu. So I guess 4?) at absolute minimum, no maximum until Iwata says stop. Nintendo could support Smash with DLC to the very end of the Wii U's lifecycle and beyond and it would still be profitable.
I'm expecting at least four more, meaning at least four newcomers total since Ryu is a newcomer. And the additional newcomers will probably be from the ballot. (Wolf I still expect to be released later automatically; there's no way they'll add both Lucas and Roy back and not add Wolf.)

Though I've seen some getting REALLY pessimistic over this, while others who were pessimistic are now optimistic. Ugh. Either way, here's hoping for Isaac and K. Rool. Don't care too much after that, though I'd like to see Lip and Dixie... (Yeah, I know, Lip is EXTREMELY unlikely.)

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Not sure if this was mentioned. On smash bros Reddit, a username SciresM also found the sound files.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm not sure if i'm the only one that feels this way but I would take Ryu over all the suggested 3rd party characters from the internet (except Snake). Not only is he more likely but he has more of a reason to join that all of them.

Wolf defiantly deserves to return to the series along with Roy. What I would like to see happen is Ryu getting announced in May and then at E3, Roy and Wolf get announced right after games relating to their series are shown off (for Roy, that would be SMT X FE and Wolf would be after the new Star Fox).

Not quite, but K. Rool and Isaac will certainly make a lot of fans happy. But there's no way to shut up EVERYONE.
Those 2 are my most requested newcomers and I think popularity polls reflect that. Maybe they'll both win the Smash ballot in October? I'd like to see that happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm expecting at least four more, meaning at least four newcomers total since Ryu is a newcomer. And the additional newcomers will probably be from the ballot. (Wolf I still expect to be released later automatically; there's no way they'll add both Lucas and Roy back and not add Wolf.)

Though I've seen some getting REALLY pessimistic over this, while others who were pessimistic are now optimistic. Ugh. Either way, here's hoping for Isaac and K. Rool. Don't care too much after that, though I'd like to see Lip and Dixie... (Yeah, I know, Lip is EXTREMELY unlikely.)
I'm one of these people that started out pessimistic about DLC; as I said before, once the initial roster got revealed, I thought that what fans wanted had been thrown out of the bin for good and we would only get two or three newcomers that advertised the latest games (Sceptile, Inklings. etc). But development toward DLC has instead made me even more optimistic. Smash 6? Mewtwo, Lucas, and likely Roy returning due to fan demand? Capcom getting a second character despite Sakurai's general hesitant to add more third-parties? The Smash Ballot lasting six months? I see nothing to be pessimistic about in regards to numbers that's for sure. As a matter of fact, I honestly feel slightly better about Nintendo newcomers like King K. Rool, Isaac, Dixie Kong, etc. now that I no longer expect the Inklings to be shown at E3.

I see us getting seven to nine characters as DLC at the end of the day. Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Wolf, and two other Nintendo newcomers are what I expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think people could be pleasantly surprised by Roy. Remember, he was being worked on for Brawl before he and Mewtwo were dropped. We have no idea how Sakurai was implementing him then, and if that will carry over to this game. I'll still buy him regardless.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
If the NX is a new console as opposed to a handheld, and they're actually retiring the Wii U (I think Iwata himself admitted that it's basically a secondary console), I could see this game getting ported with all of the DLC included and some extra content, like some of the Street Fighter games.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I always wanted to know how Brawl Roy would have played like. With Falco and Dorf getting revamped, I think it's a safe bet to assume he would have gotten the same treatment.

If the NX is a new console as opposed to a handheld, and they're actually retiring the Wii U (I think Iwata himself admitted that it's basically a secondary console), I could see this game getting ported with all of the DLC included and some extra content, like some of the Street Fighter games.
I thought something among the lines of this only that version would include an Adventure Mode like the Subspace including the DLC characters.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm one of these people that started out pessimistic about DLC; as I said before, once the initial roster got revealed, I thought that what fans wanted had been thrown out of the bin for good and we would only get two or three newcomers that advertised the latest games (Sceptile, Inklings. etc). But development toward DLC has instead made me even more optimistic. Smash 6? Mewtwo, Lucas, and likely Roy returning due to fan demand? Capcom getting a second character despite Sakurai's general hesitant to add more third-parties? The Smash Ballot lasting six months? I see nothing to be pessimistic about in regards to numbers that's for sure. As a matter of fact, I honestly feel slightly better about Nintendo newcomers like King K. Rool, Isaac, Dixie Kong, etc. now that I no longer expect the Inklings to be shown at E3.

I see us getting seven to nine characters as DLC at the end of the day. Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Wolf, and two other Nintendo newcomers are what I expect.
You're the first one I thought of when referring to being more optimistic now lol.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I feel like an idiot now, someone said that lots of dlc would be paying for not even half the game, but amiibos are at least 10.00 so all amiibos would be like over 400 so another argument debunked

D

Deleted member

I think people could be pleasantly surprised by Roy. Remember, he was being worked on for Brawl before he and Mewtwo were dropped. We have no idea how Sakurai was implementing him then, and if that will carry over to this game. I'll still buy him regardless.
Speaking of which I wonder if Roy could be lugified for this game. I know that didn't happen with anyone else given that semi-clones appear to be virtually unchanged move set-wise, but what if Sakurai takes inspiration from what he planned about Roy in Brawl and applied it to this game? Maybe we'll see some interesting changes.

Regardless I am excited for Roy's return. Definitely will make at least a tertiary character to me.

Smash 3DS & Wii U's DLC will break my wallet. :4lucas::roypm:, Ryu, :wolf:, and whoever else is coming will run me up a lot of money.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The idea of a Capcom character being DLC is funny to me. What if this was Capcom's plan all along, they told Nintendo that they can only have Mega Man if the release Ryu through DLC along with some Mega Man costumes. They want to implement DLC in games that aren't even their own. :troll:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, if were going by the 5 dollars per character and their ends up being 9, it'll be less than 50 dollars. That's fairly reasonable I guess.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Well, if were going by the 5 dollars per character and their ends up being 9, it'll be less than 50 dollars. That's fairly reasonable I guess.
Plus Mii costumes.
Plus stages.
Plus whatever else they want to make.
And that's assuming they stop at 9 :p

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Still marginally upset it is Ruu and not Zero... Though nothing is saying Sakurai still couldn't... ;)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think the rule of "one character per third party" might still apply to the specific franchise but not the company itself. That's why we won't see Shadow, Zero, or someone else from Pac Man in the game yet characters like Ryu and (insert another Sega character) are viable.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I think the rule of "one character per third party" might still apply to the specific franchise but not the company itself. That's why we won't see Shadow, Zero, or someone else from Pac Man in the game yet characters like Ryu and (insert another Sega character) are viable.
Third Party characters can't get into Smash Bros -> Only one character from each company can be in Smash Bros + Third Party characters can't be DLC -> Only one character per third party franchise, they can be DLC, but we can't have multiple characters from one 3rd party franchise.

I wonder when people are going to stop making and following made up rules, they're broken soooo easily

Especially when the ACTUAL rule of Sakurai saying that he didn't really want to add fighting game characters in Smash is on the brink of collapsing.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, that's still more than Smash 3DS. Personally I don't mind paying anything $5 or below for a character but I can understand why people would be hesitant to do so.
Plus Mii costumes.
Plus stages.
Plus whatever else they want to make.
And that's assuming they stop at 9 :p
I'm still passing on Mii costumes unless we get a Season Pass that offers a reasonable discount. I'll be buying everything else thought.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That wasn't a definite answer lol. IDK what Sakurai's stance is on this so he's the judge on this really. Personally though, i'd like only one character from a certain third party franchise.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Third Party characters can't get into Smash Bros -> Only one character from each company can be in Smash Bros + Third Party characters can't be DLC -> Only one character per third party franchise, they can be DLC, but we can't have multiple characters from one 3rd party franchise.

I wonder when people are going to stop making and following made up rules, they're broken soooo easily

Especially when the ACTUAL rule of Sakurai saying that he didn't really want to add fighting game characters in Smash is on the brink of collapsing.
I hope playable Ridley is the next rule crumbler....

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Someone mind walking me through how Roy and Ryu are a good sign for "more DLC being planned"? The way I'm seeing it, Roy and Ryu will get revealed and released during the timeframe people were speculating we might see Wolf and/or the first ballot newcomer (E3 through late summer), leaving Wolf in the breeze despite the obvious E3 tie-in and the ballot newcomer to be revealed roughly around the time it ends anyway. They wouldn't indicate more DLC in this scenario, they'd just exist in place of the DLC we were otherwise predicting.

We may be looking at Roy, Ryu and K. Rool (placeholder for winner) instead of Wolf, K. Rool and Isaac (another placeholder), in other words. Same number of characters, but possibly not the better trio between the two.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Someone mind walking me through how Roy and Ryu are a good sign for "more DLC being planned"? The way I'm seeing it, Roy and Ryu will get revealed and released during the timeframe people were speculating we might see Wolf and/or the first ballot newcomer (E3 through late summer), leaving Wolf in the breeze despite the obvious E3 tie-in and the ballot newcomer to be revealed roughly around the time it ends anyway. They wouldn't indicate more DLC in this scenario, they'd just exist in place of the DLC we were otherwise predicting.

We may be looking at Roy, Ryu and K. Rool (placeholder for winner) instead of Wolf, K. Rool and Isaac (another placeholder), in other words. Same number of characters, but possibly not the better trio between the two.
Because they are currently working on at least four characters as far as we can tell, probably even Wolf as well. That increases the number we knew about, and means that they will be working on several at once. Depending on how much data is done, they might still have to work on additional characters in the next six months, and even then, they'd still probably do several characters from the ballot as well because, again, 4-5 characters at once.

Odds are, they'll do multiple characters because its easier doing multiple characters at one time, and they'll make more cash in the long run producing more than just one really hype character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom