• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Can someone please bring me up to speed. What's this Roy and Ryu Leak I've been hearing about and what makes it apparently so likely?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ryu would be awesome if he had a meter system to work with.
Could use it towards EX variations of his specials and for a super or two. That seems super neat in a game like Smash to me.

It'd be nice if Roy was altered in the same vain as Ganondorf and Falco have been over the years, but I'm somewhat sorta doubting it. At least we'll have overhead Flare Blade eh??

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was just thinking how interesting it was that they already had data for Roy and Ryu in the game.

Wouldn't it be funny if they announced Ryu at E3 and then said he was being released straight after the digital event? It would be played up as a big shocker but we'll have known about it already for 2 months.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yo I'm now totally on board with Ryu. Gonna rock the inevitable Sean/yellow alt if he does get in.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Personally, I haven't dropped much hope for Shantae or Quote even if Ryu reinstates that third parties must be legends.

Hey, they're staples of the indie genre and have a fairly connected history with the big N. I for one would like to see one of them get in and rep Indie games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ryu would be a lame character I think. Will definitely not play as him. And why even add him, if people have been saying since the beginning of ages that :4mario: basically plays like him?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Still don't get the Snake hate. Or dislike. Whatever you want to call it.

He's a legendary gaming character. He's a Smash veteran. He's unique. He's goofy. What more do you want?

Also, this pretty much confirms what I've been saying about 3rd Parties. They have to be high profile video game characters to get into Smash. If Ryu gets in, that's FIVE 3RD PARTY CHARACTERS THAT HAVE PROVEN THIS.
I think a lot of fans, myself included, don't dislike Snake. We were just stating that there are clear reasons why he wasn't in the base game. Snake's awesome. There is a reason he was the first character DLC piece I decided to write.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/smash-4-dlc-the-case-for-snake/

Something I keep pointing out is that fans of Simon Belmont and Bomberman need to realize that having Snake back in the game is now a doorway for another Konami rep. All of our support groups are tied together due to Ryu (assuming the leak is real and Ryu actually makes it in.)

Not quite, but K. Rool and Isaac will certainly make a lot of fans happy. But there's no way to shut up EVERYONE.
Well, let's assume that the current DLC is Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. The only other things Sakurai would have to do is bring Wolf back, bring Snake back, and give me Isaac and K. Rool as newcomers and I'm super happy with the outcome to DLC.

I'm still going to push hard for Bomberman/Simon Belmont, and I wouldn't mind a character like Rayman. I also would love to see Dixie or Captain Toad, but give me K. Rool, Isaac, and Wolf at a bare minimum.

Because they are currently working on at least four characters as far as we can tell, probably even Wolf as well. That increases the number we knew about, and means that they will be working on several at once. Depending on how much data is done, they might still have to work on additional characters in the next six months, and even then, they'd still probably do several characters from the ballot as well because, again, 4-5 characters at once.

Odds are, they'll do multiple characters because its easier doing multiple characters at one time, and they'll make more cash in the long run producing more than just one really hype character.
We should also remember that the poll is running until October. Logic dictates that some characters will not even begin to be worked on until then. That's a lot of time for DLC.

When the 3DS version was first data mined I said that we would see DLC, and that the number would range anywhere from 6-12 characters. I never backed down from that assertion, and I still stand by it.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm wondering why people are excited about Ryu, AKA Mr Vanilla Fighter Man. Arthur would make a much better 2nd Capcom rep.

Now, if this was all a ruse to get Ryu Hayabusa in right under the hackers noses, on the other hand...

Yeah, I'm wondering why people are excited about Ryu, AKA Mr Vanilla Fighter Man. Arthur would make a much better 2nd Capcom rep.

Now, if this was all a ruse to get Ryu Hayabusa in right under the hackers noses, on the other hand...
Yeah but like, ryu is 100 times more wll known as arthur :p
(And would thus sell better)

MainJPW

M.T.A
Ryu would be a lame character I think. Will definitely not play as him. And why even add him, if people have been saying since the beginning of ages that :4mario: basically plays like him?
Someone on youtube by the username PlayerEssence mentioned to me that Ryu would be like Captain Falcon with a projectile, and I can see why he would say that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Someone on youtube by the username PlayerEssence mentioned to me that Ryu would be like Captain Falcon with a projectile, and I can see why he would say that.
How about Little Mac with a projectile?

I actually see no real good reason to include him. Did someone sneakily snuffed away all the ballot votes and gave them to Ryu or something? I can't imagine him scoring too greatly on the ballot, so why the hell would we get him?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

I actually see no real good reason to include him. Did someone sneakily snuffed away all the ballot votes and gave them to Ryu or something? I can't imagine him scoring too greatly on the ballot, so why the hell would we get him?
Because Crapcom wants to shove as much of themselves as they can into the game, obviously. They gotta get awl teh monies they can! :p

MainJPW

M.T.A

Probably something to do with some kind of deal with Capcom.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Cuz he's a legend and the father of fighting games?

Also lol @ Falcon/Mac with a projectile. Ryu ain't a rush down character. He's hardly a fast character to begin with. He's one of the best examples of having a perfectly designed moveset that is simple to learn but one of the hardest to master and I'm so excited to see how it'll translate to Smash. (NOT MARIO. NOT EVEN CLOSE.)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because Crapcom wants to shove as much of themselves as they can into the game, obviously. They gotta get awl teh monies they can! :p
Ca$hcom strikes back?

Yeah, money inclusions... With the big fraud they're making on Mario Kart 8 DLC, two versions of Smash, more than $5,- per new fighter for Smash DLC and Amiibo we all should've seen this coming...

Smash is gonna be the new Nintendo cash cow people... So start complaining about Mewtwo's weight already so things will get better.

I actually had a dream about Mewtwo's insane light weight frame yesterday, despite having yet playing him... I was somewhere in France, and witnessed Mewtwo fighting Suicune who looked a lot like it's Pokken self. Suicune was doing a sort of attack resembling a Water / Ice version of Volt Tackle, and Mewtwo was send flying like at least 1 kilometer away. Yeah, don't ask why this was in France either...

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Cuz he's a legend and the father of fighting games?

Also lol @ Falcon/Mac with a projectile. Ryu ain't a rush down character. He's hardly a fast character to begin with. He's one of the best examples of having a perfectly designed moveset that is simple to learn but one of the hardest to master and I'm so excited to see how it'll translate to Smash. (NOT MARIO. NOT EVEN CLOSE.)
Personally, I'm just wondering if Ryu's inclusion is because of Capcom forcing it onto Nintendo in return for putting Megaman in; they are notorious for horrible DLC use.

But personally, I'm more looking forward to Roy than to Ryu, since this means that we'll have everyone from Melee except the Icies and Pichu together again.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The exciting thing about Ryu's inclusion is that it's one big step towards Nintendo vs Capcom. Marvel vs Capcom did happen because of Akuma's guest appearance in that one X-Men fighting game after all~

Playing Nintendo characters in a more traditional fighter would be godlike. The potential!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My main problem is how much all DLC will cost on the end of the day...
:4mewtwo:- $ 5,-
:4lucas:- $ 5,-
:wolf:- $ 5,-
:roypm:- $ 5,-
Ryu - $ 5,-
Ballot character: $ 5,-

That's already $ 25,- about the half of what the game should cost.

And that's just the beginning... I doubt Miiverse stage and Tournament Mode are gonna be free either. So boom, take another $ 10,- please.

This is getting out of hand... I am feeling scammed and I do not even own the game. That's the worst part... Coming up with the money just to try and get the game, only to know you'll be playing the vanilla version, which choose characters as :4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina: as extra content to fill the game as to not push the release date too much...

This is pure fraud man.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wouldn't those just come with an update?
Not sure, but I am hoping they are at least gonna make DLC character packs for those patient enough to wait till all characters are out for DLC. Or for broke asses as myself.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think we'll have to pay for tournament mode.

The juries out on the Miiverse stage though. It's worth pointing out there isn't a section for stages on the 3ds smash shop.

Then again there aren't any stages yet so it wouldn't be needed....

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think Roy and Wolf will be the last vets to return as DLC. Makes sense for 2 vets cut from each game to return to Smash 4. After that, the emphasis will be placed on Newcomers.

Cut Melee Vets: Mewtwo and Roy

Cut Brawl Vets: Lucas and Wolf

Various Newcomers: Ryu, Isaac, K. Rool, and possibly another 3rd party newcomer.

Would be extremely hyped for this DLC roster.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Maybe someone from Capcom came up with the idea and they modeled and fit his moves to fit into Super Smash Bros, similarly to what Konami did with Solid Snake in Brawl. Can't say that having the most recognizable character from the most popular fighting game franchise crossing over with arguably the second highest grossing series is a bad thing. One need only see the Vs. Capcom series to know that Ryu can fit in some pretty colorful, zany worlds. While I'm not completely sold on Ryu, as I still wished Zero would have been playable if a second Capcom appeared, it certainly isn't because he doesn't fit in or make sense.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's just me being in hard denial over the fact we are getting a new 3rd party character that isn't Banjo-Kazooie. I also hated Mega Man, Pac Man, Sonic and Snake's inclusions, don't mind me too much in this...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My only reservation with regards to Mr Dragon Fist is that it blows apart the whole "one character per third-party" myth.

That said, it was never a rule: just a dogma we abided by because it seemed reasonable at the time. If Ryu is indeed a playable character, I don't even think it would disprove the aforementioned notion: while Ryu belongs to the same company as Mega Man, the unwritten may still apply, insofar as third-party characters from the same series aren't eligible.

That's just conjecture, though. It's impossible to tell right now, and I still have my doubts that this is all legit. I trust the people who said the files are there, but I'm still not wholly convinced they will amount to anything.

Either way, Ryu in Smash isn't a bad thing. If anything, it's a very good thing - Nintendo vs Capcom would be utterly amazing.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Like I said before, I might be a part of the minority that's happy with Ryu getting over all the suggested 3rd party characters not only in this thread but the internet. Some of the suggested characters aren't even all that popular among fans and others are associated with (or owned by) competitor companies (Crash for Sony and Banjo for Microsoft).

That's not to say that I would be opposed to them being in the game of course. I'm just saying that IMO, Ryu would be better to add (one reason in particular to showcase the history of fighting games).

Robi-Wan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Freed0m8
This is a modified post I made on the "Whip it good: Simon Belmont for DLC" thread.

I just don't see Ryu as a very unique character.
Neutral Special: Hadoken is very similar to Samus' Neutral Special, Mega Man's Side Smash, Lucario's Aura Sphere, Mewtwo's Shadow Ball...
Up Special: Shoryuken is very similar to Marth's Dolphin Slash, Mega Man's Up tilt, Mario's Up Special!
Down Special: Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku is very similar to Dr. Mario's Down Special, Luigi's Down Special, Mega Man's dash attack...
Side Special: That spinning side kick they talked about in the Ryu vs. Scorpian Deathbattle. A semi unique move. Perhaps it would be like a faster Falcon Punch.

His A attacks and Aerials could be kind of interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love Ryu as a character. I grew up with all the Street Fighter games, including playing the original 1987 Street Fighter game in the arcades. I loved the animated movie, Street Fighter II V series (amazing anime). So seeing him in Smash just for feels alone would be fantastic. BUT, I don't think he'd be very unique. Whereas Simon Belmont would bring something totally new to the table. A long range melee whip fighter with limited sub weapon special moves. A whip swing kick... I mean come on!

I kind of hope this is a joke on the development team's part. The estimate I'm seeing is that after Lucas is released in June, Wolf will be released next around September or so. Then after Wolf we'll be getting three new characters. One slot will go to a Nintendo character, the next to an Indie character and the last slot to a third party character. What I'm predicting is:

Nintendo character: Inkling. A VERY unique character, promote new IP, no need to make another Amiibo but they probably will. They could make it so she/he paints the stage with her/his attacks. And where there is paint she/he can transform into a squid. But the paint fades so they have to keep on spraying the stage. Specials can be all the different weapons, and with custom moves you could probably get all the weapons in there.

Indie character: Shovel Knight. I haven't played Shovel Knight yet (I know, I know, I'm planning to eventually) but apparently it's an amazing game. He has that unique pogo stick ability and other unique moves I'm sure. From what I've seen I think he's the best choice from the Indie category. The Guacamelee guy could be interesting too though.

Third party character: Now this is the big ?. If Ryu takes this slot, I will be SO PISSED. *Sigh* again I like Ryu! He's an absolutely classic video game character. Every fighting gamer, heck almost every gamer, otaku, comic aficionado knows HADOKEN! SHORYUKEN! BUT HE'S NOT UNIQUE! He'll be boring to play as aside from well, "Look I'm playing as Ryu in Smash Bros! =D" I believe Simon Belmont would be the best choice. Smash 4 already has something going for it that few fighters if any can boast. It has playable characters from most of the major Japanese video game companies. Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Namco. I didn't mention Monolith Soft since the company doesn't have the same kind of history as the previously mentioned do but it's still a great company. If you add Konami again... man... Smash Bros becomes just an absolute love story to video games. Sure they could bring Snake back... and Snake was a really cool character in Brawl... if they however want to try something new and some one who in my opinion had and has more relevance to Nintendo than Snake...

than vote for Simon Belmont! :colorful:

That being said, if they could put Simon and Snake in the game, that would be the best! And I prefered Roy over Marth in Melee SMX so I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him back. But the concern would be of course is that we'd have three VERY similar characters. Marth, Lucina and Roy. But if they were to include Roy along with Wolf, Snake and the three new character slots I mentioned or heck even more, I would be happy with that.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Man, I'm just thinking of Ryu getting an Amiibo; ... I want. (but will probably sold out in the exact moment they announce =P)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Does literally everyone just assume that Roy would play exactly like his Melee counterpart?

Really people...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Does literally everyone just assume that Roy would play exactly like his Melee counterpart?

Really people...
Well, after seeing Mewtwo and Lucas in action it is a pretty logical assumption.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If Lucas, Roy, Ryu and Wolf are all we end up getting, I'll be okay with that roster. Just fix the CSS for the love of Pete.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
No one plays like Ryu in Smash. Smash doesn't have an all around and versatile zoner.

He'll play unique regardless of him being aesthetically bland. Besides, it's Ryu, people will be hyped as hell.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No one plays like Ryu in Smash. Smash doesn't have an all around and versatile zoner.

He'll play unique regardless of him being aesthetically bland. Besides, it's Ryu, people will be hyped as hell.
He's the kind of character that will get #SmashBros trending on Twitter and Facebook. Gamers and non-gamers recognize him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom