• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Something GOOD (hopefully) is definitely planned between Capcom and Nintendo for E3...

Plus maybe more DLC reveal during E3 (Isaac please!)

Or maybe full use of the Mega Man IP didn't come with strings as unattached as we thought.
Wow. If that's true....

Capcom... >.<

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Maybe Capcom just loves paid DLC so much that they can't stay away from it, even in another company's game.

People are claiming ryu doesnt deserve to be in.

I reaaly dont like street fighter but please people. Look at how iconic he is. He is about as big of an all star as you can get and honestly maybe toad is the only 1st party character who comes close.

And sf has a past with nintendo. Jesus christ people its RYU. A gaming legend

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
People are claiming ryu doesnt deserve to be in.

I reaaly dont like street fighter but please people. Look at how iconic he is. He is about as big of an all star as you can get and honestly maybe toad is the only 1st party character who comes close.

And sf has a past with nintendo. Jesus christ people its RYU. A gaming legend
Frankly I think Ryu once again reinstates the notion that characters who get into the game have to be gaming legends. Which kinda puts a damper on the notion that Indie's may be able to get into the game.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The highest selling Capcom game on a single platform is STILL Street Fighter II on the Super Nintendo. The game really was a big deal when it came out. I remember gloating to my friends that had a Genesis about it before Championship Edition came out. We thought it would be impossible on the Genesis since it only had 3 buttons.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
im not really excited for dlc... the characters I want most likely have little votes... I really hope these aren't the only dlc characters IF this is real because none really interest me, leaving ke I said before I HATE when people say they think there will only be 4 more dlc characters, can anyone see the chances of Cpt. Toad, Bandana Dee, Popo, and Paper Mario? I don't think there's enough "hype" crap in them, I really hope I get at least one, but people all have dumb arguments imo, stuff like BDee is generic,Cpt. Toad can't jump, and Paper Mario is mario (no arguments I think are legit for Popo, he could have a Nana alt and would only change certain moves.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mewtwo, Lucas, probably Roy and Ryu, almost definitely Wolf, and at least one but probably more than one character from the ballot. And that's just what we can guess at right now.

Do you guys still doubt Smash DLC is going to hit hard?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
im not really excited for dlc... the characters I want most likely have little votes... I really hope these aren't the only dlc characters IF this is real because none really interest me, leaving ke I said before I HATE when people say they think there will only be 4 more dlc characters, can anyone see the chances of Cpt. Toad, Bandana Dee, Popo, and Paper Mario? I don't think there's enough "hype" crap in them, I really hope I get at least one, but people all have dumb arguments imo, stuff like BDee is generic,Cpt. Toad can't jump, and Paper Mario is mario (no arguments I think are legit for Popo, he could have a Nana alt and would only change certain moves.
Popo won't happen solo because they don't want to change returning characters too much. Look at Mewtwo and Lucas; almost EXACTLY the same. Ice Climbers probably won't happen because they've got technically difficulties (they'd have to fix these issues to get them in), and they won't change them too much just to bring them back.

Bandana Dee is possible, but considering what we've been seeing he looks fairly low on the results.

Mewtwo, Lucas, probably Roy and Ryu, almost definitely Wolf, and at least one but probably more than one character from the ballot. And that's just what we can guess at right now.

Do you guys still doubt Smash DLC is going to hit hard?
I never did, but its looking even better now than it did before. I honestly didn't think Roy would come back. Maybe we'll get Ivysaur as well.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'm glad that Ryu and Mario will finally meet!.. Last time Mario joined a World Warrior championship he missed the opportunity to see Ryu on there. =P

The argument against popo is people want ice climberS

Getting rid of the plural is getting rid of what makes them them. they arent going to completely change ice climbers to not even being remotely the same

i mean without the duo mechanic they are realy boring imo

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Getting rid of the plural is getting rid of what makes them them. they arent going to completely change ice climbers to not even being remotely the same

They are, Sopo is only hype because its always a bad matchup.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm actually fine with multiple characters from the same 3rd party company getting in. If the character is super iconic with a history with Nintendo why let it stop them from being in the game? Unless they're from the same game, then think It'd be unfair. Also having the most iconic fighting game character (who has a good history with Nintendo) being in a Nintendo crossover fighting game... it kind of works. I just never thought it to be possible.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Popo won't happen solo because they don't want to change returning characters too much. Look at Mewtwo and Lucas; almost EXACTLY the same. Ice Climbers probably won't happen because they've got technically difficulties (they'd have to fix these issues to get them in), and they won't change them too much just to bring them back.

Bandana Dee is possible, but considering what we've been seeing he looks fairly low on the results.

I never did, but its looking even better now than it did before. I honestly didn't think Roy would come back. Maybe we'll get Ivysaur as well.

imo they could downgrade the ics until smash5 if they can't be in why not just take away an entity?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I too am a supporter of The Captain and Bandanna Dee. If we can't get them in Smash we at least need a crossover between the two overlooked heroes.Also,

#TeamKonami

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I know it was mentioned already but

Roy and ryu may true and upcoming dlc

(Sound files get found they always end up being in it.)

Before smash 4 the 8 player smash, smash tour, master orders, crazy orders sound files = modes in wii u version.

The no data palutena guidence thing, that was prooving real today its mewtwos/possibly other dlc characters.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Well, I don't know what to think about this whole "Ryu" thing.

We already have a shotoclone move set. 3 of them! Mario and co. are pretty much based of the arc-type: the projectile, the rising uppercut, and the spinning surrounding hit-box are all the staples of the whole thing Ryu started. I don't have high hopes for something cool.

Ugh... I know that I'm going to get some backlash for saying this, but at this point every third party after Mega Man has been a bit of a letdown.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I was actually starting to believe that they would add Roy a while ago anyway. Really easy to make, very popular and highly requested, there's really no down side in adding him.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
dude, I know your feels because I lived these arguments....a lot.

but just think how insane this is.

We have 4 dlc assuming the files points to those getting dlc (which is quite likely tbh) and...

THAT'S NOT FREAKING INCLUDING THE BALLOT!!!!

There's also one thing I got recently...Paper Mario has a bit more chances than thought because when i was looking at the polls, I forgot to discard characters that are just so unlikely to happen. I forgot polls were just popularity so, I now see him relatively as top 5, but the polls shows top 10.

Yeah, this game's roster is getting insane. If I would be you, i would be actually more motivated to support now....it's jsut showing how much this can go...

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Ugh... I know that I'm going to get some backlash for saying this, but at this point every third party after Mega Man has been a bit of a letdown.
Pac-Man is almost more "Mr. Video Game" than Mario, and Ryu is the most famous fighting game character of all time, it only makes sense. And look at the bright side, 3rd-party DLC chars confirmed, multiple 3rd-party characters per company confirmed, more DLC stages confirmed, probable Guile's Theme remix. I don't see this as disappointing really, just a bit strange, as I would have expected there to be files pointing more towards Rayman or Inkling. My only regret is that it's not Chun-Li.

One step closer to Poison representation in Smash... Even if it's just a trophy... My precious...

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I had to open GIMP to get the joke, but the loop transition is a bit messed up....
I made moar, I saw it was pretty fast, when im get older I wanna do sprite comics, I wanna make better photos for better animations
BDee.gif
Vote_4_bandana_Dee.gif

I wanna do paper mario but I can only do simple shapes here

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Vote for Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, Cpt. Toad, and Popo (stupid arguments are stupid) or else...View attachment 47661
The arguments against solo Ice Climbers aren't stupid. Look at the existing returning characters. How similar they are to past games. Especially look at the DLC veterans.

You're being ignorant, we're not making stupid arguments.

As for the others I don't really care for the characters at all. Sorry, I'll vote for who I want to vote for.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
The arguments against solo Ice Climbers aren't stupid. Look at the existing returning characters. How similar they are to past games. Especially look at the DLC veterans.

You're being ignorant, we're not making stupid arguments.

As for the others I don't really care for the characters at all. Sorry, I'll vote for who I want to vote for.
the gif is a joke, almost everyone says to vote for a character mine isn't different:glare:
anyway... I dont care I feel that its a stupid argument

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I woked up in the morning expecting a great day. Get Mewtwo downloaded and experience him alongside a bunch of other real life friends (even got an eight Mewtwo match which I won :) ) but this day has turned out to be so much better.

Unless this is like a "Chunky Kong is an Assist Trophy" moment, I am a very happy camper for a few reasons. One, Roy is probably returning to the roster. I have wanted Roy back ever since he was cut and I always enjoy playing as him in Melee. Seeing him return makes me very happy, even if detractors want to label him as "just a second Marth clone". Secondly, while I'm not particularly fond of the idea of Ryu from Street Fighter being playable, I am curious to see how he is implemented as a character. But it's isn't that which has me excited, it is the fact that third-parties can have two characters from the same company and that we don't have to resort to no-named indies to get more third-parties.

While I am usually opposed to a company having more than one character, this excites me because there is one company in particular I feel deserves two characters; Konami. They currently own the legendary Metal Gear Solid and Bomberman franchise, both of whom are deserving of a character. Originally I had given up on Bomberman entirely due to me assuming we'd never get more than one third-party from a company but now that this is not the case, I now feel as maybe, just maybe, that getting Snake and Bomberman onto the roster has a very slight chance of happening. And that to me is enough for me to throw my hat into the ring to support Bomberman.

I don't understand why people are so worried over this leak. Wouldn't the fact that we're likely getting a fifth Fire Emblem character and two Capcom characters indicate that there's going to be more DLC than we thought we would? Originally I didn't think we would get more than three characters after we saw the initial turnout of the Smash 3DS roster. Now, with Mewtwo, Lucas, almost certainly Wolf, and probably Roy included due to fan demand as well as Ryu being likely as well, I can easily see us getting seven or eight characters if not more. Don't forget "Smash 6" job listing as well as well as the freaking Smash Ballot as well as Sakurai and Namco Bandai exceeding the expectation of how many additions would be on the roster (we got eighteen characters added on the initial roster alone; granted there were six cuts but you get my point). If these aren't reasons to be optimistic about DLC, I don't know what is. I really can't see us getting less than seven DLC characters at this point. Four veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Roy) and three newcomers (Ryu and two Nintendo newcomers) with possibilities for more.

I still think that Nintendo newcomers have just as good of a shot as they had previously and honestly, might even be more optimistic on them. It has been made clear Smash DLC won't simply be advertisement for recent characters (not to say that it won't play a role, just won't be the defining factor I thought it would be) and that is something that makes me happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Pac-Man is almost more "Mr. Video Game" than Mario, and Ryu is the most famous fighting game character of all time, it only makes sense. And look at the bright side, 3rd-party DLC chars confirmed, multiple 3rd-party characters per company confirmed, more DLC stages confirmed, probable Guile's Theme remix. I don't see this as disappointing really, just a bit strange, as I would have expected there to be files pointing more towards Rayman or Inkling. My only regret is that it's not Chun-Li.
I well recognize how famous they are, but I just don't think they're interesting as fighters. Compared to Mega Man's "so many projectiles his jab has shooting," Sonic's "so fast of a rush down you can't catch up," and Snake's stealthy stage control, the others feel lacking when it comes to bringing new things to the table.

I had a feeling Pac-Man would be not very interesting to fight as before he was revealed, and I still hold by my opinion. I don't feel his move set was all that special, and don't see what others see in him. Moving with a Smash Attack? Dedede's Jet Hammer. Moving with water? Mario's FLUDD. Changing projectiles? Robin's Thunder Tomes. The trampoline? Sonic's Spring and Mega's Rush Coil.
I also have gripes over how much favoritism Namco got when it came to representation. Did they really have to get two items? With the Special Flag being as game-changing as it was? Or two completely unique, new stages? At least let the other third parties get an item...

And in my opinion, Ryu's greatest strength is exactly why he should not be in. Ryu's move set has basically become the main staple of every fighting game in existence. Like I said before, we already have Mario, Luigi, and Doc who are based on his move set already. What new things can he bring to the table? Making an interesting new move set for him is going to be like squeezing blood from a dry stone.

Thus far, there is not much of a bright side to this announcement. I was going to hold judgement of new third parties, and look where that got me. I'm not a fan of multiple third parties characters from the same company either. New DLC stages are okay, and I'm not a Street Fighter fan so I don't care about That Theme That Goes With Everything.
Honestly, the only real bright side is Roy, in my opinion.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

One step closer to Poison representation in Smash... Even if it's just a trophy... My precious...
It'll probably just be the original 7 guys from SFII vanilla, MAYBE Cammy & the villains.

I'm pretty hype at the thought of Ryu in Smash. I wanted him in, but I figured they'd save a big character like this for Smash 5. I don't see anything wrong with 3rd party companies getting more than 1 rep if the company has a big history with Nintendo, which Capcom certainly does. Now multiple characters from one 3rd party series might be going a bit too far.

I wonder how much DLC we'll actually be getting, if we're getting this much pre-ballot then Nintendo might pick a decent amount of the fan choices.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm noww that I think about it we're probably getting a lot of dlc... I didn't see Capcom getting another rep tbh l, even though don't care for em its just more confirmation for new reps

hehe:awesome::troll:
BDee.gif
drawingpad8cf1c064-81dc-41fe-8c11-30b4a8abc5f4.jpg
vote_for_the_Dee.gif

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Still don't get the Snake hate. Or dislike. Whatever you want to call it.

He's a legendary gaming character. He's a Smash veteran. He's unique. He's goofy. What more do you want?

Also, this pretty much confirms what I've been saying about 3rd Parties. They have to be high profile video game characters to get into Smash. If Ryu gets in, that's FIVE 3RD PARTY CHARACTERS THAT HAVE PROVEN THIS.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
And in my opinion, Ryu's greatest strength is exactly why he should not be in. Ryu's move set has basically become the main staple of every fighting game in existence. Like I said before, we already have Mario, Luigi, and Doc who are based on his move set already. What new things can he bring to the table? Making an interesting new move set for him is going to be like squeezing blood from a dry stone.
They could make it so that he has combo inputs or an EX meter.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I think this is the first canonically Japanese character in Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom