• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Tails is less promising of a character than Bayonetta, sure he has his gadgets and the ability, but I don't think that's enough for Sakurai to add a 2nd character from that franchise. Shadow is among the most interesting out of all Sonic characters, but he's already an AT.

I feel like the top candidates left for a 2nd SEGA character is just Bayonetta.
Are there any other SEGA IPs that have been close to Nintendo as of recent?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Anyone who thinks the 2nd Sonic character should be anyone other than Eggman is obviously wrong. :estatic:

:231:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Anyone who thinks the 2nd Sonic character should be anyone other than Eggman is obviously wrong. :estatic:

:231:
I second this. Bowser Jr. proves mech fighters can happen. Dr. Eggman could be super awesome.
He could even summon badniks or Metal Sonic for some of his moves. :)

EDIT: And if would be Mike Pollock's Eggman too, my goodness.

Last edited:
Tails is less promising of a character than Bayonetta, sure he has his gadgets and the ability, but I don't think that's enough for Sakurai to add a 2nd character from that franchise. Shadow is among the most interesting out of all Sonic characters, but he's already an AT.

I feel like the top candidates left for a 2nd SEGA character is just Bayonetta.
Are there any other SEGA IPs that have been close to Nintendo as of recent?
shadow is more interesting than tails?

assuming we arent counting The guns then that makes very little sense to me.

Tails is 100 times more important to gaming than bayonetta.

seriously sakurai wants to keep characters with how they are shown in game. why is bayoneta an exception?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Forget Ryu from Street Fighter.

Who's up for Ryu Hayabusa?

(After Isaac of course ;))

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Quite the exciting day for us Smasher's, eh? Finally got Mewtwo, and some exciting stuff to speculate about!

Mewtwo is awesome, he might just become a contender for my main.

Ryu and Roy...Honestly, Ryu fits the bill of a 3rd Party with a legacy to me. He's one of the most iconic fighting game characters ever created. As long as he has a neat moveset (assuming this whole thing is real and not a repeat of the Chunky Kong thing) I'd totally be ok with it. The only reason I didn't think he'd ever be in Smash is because of what Sakurai said before. We shall see.

Roy...I don't really understand I guess. I do, but I don't. If they changed him a wee bit (which I kinda doubt) then I'm all for it. If he's the exact same as he was in Melee, and he's the "last" DLC character, then I'll be rather upset. I'm all for bringing veterans back if it's a good enough deal, but Roy will have to do some convincing for me.

Also, I'm fairly convinced we're going to see more DLC than we thought, mainly because this "leak" makes it seem as if all 4 of these characters were planned (if this leak is real, I can see these two getting revealed at E3). I could definitely see getting a set of 2 Season passes.

It would actually brighten my day to see a 3rd Party character get in as DLC. It'll stop the whole, "3rd Parties won't be DLC!" stuff that I see once in awhile.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I looked through the games files and found information on Cloud, I don't know who that is, but here's a sound file of his victory theme I found proving it https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=1i8w2k426#/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk you should totally believe me.
Why are people believing this "leak" to be 100% true?
Because two TOTALLY different, TOTALLY valid people/groups have said its true. The first was was already valid, and the second is a legit source that hacks game data to look for out of date information.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Quite the exciting day for us Smasher's, eh? Finally got Mewtwo, and some exciting stuff to speculate about!

Mewtwo is awesome, he might just become a contender for my main.

Ryu and Roy...Honestly, Ryu fits the bill of a 3rd Party with a legacy to me. He's one of the most iconic fighting game characters ever created. As long as he has a neat moveset (assuming this whole thing is real and not a repeat of the Chunky Kong thing) I'd totally be ok with it. The only reason I didn't think he'd ever be in Smash is because of what Sakurai said before. We shall see.

Roy...I don't really understand I guess. I do, but I don't. If they changed him a wee bit (which I kinda doubt) then I'm all for it. If he's the exact same as he was in Melee, and he's the "last" DLC character, then I'll be rather upset. I'm all for bringing veterans back if it's a good enough deal, but Roy will have to do some convincing for me.

Also, I'm fairly convinced we're going to see more DLC than we thought, mainly because this "leak" makes it seem as if all 4 of these characters were planned (if this leak is real, I can see these two getting revealed at E3). I could definitely see getting a set of 2 Season passes.

It would actually brighten my day to see a 3rd Party character get in as DLC. It'll stop the whole, "3rd Parties won't be DLC!" stuff that I see once in awhile.
The other thing about this, though, is that it also furthers the notion that third-party characters must be very iconic gaming characters to be able to get in. That's also a key thing here.

seriously sakurai wants to keep characters with how they are shown in game. why is bayoneta an exception?
Personally, I think Shadow is more interesting than Tails. Shadow doesn't need "zomg guns" to be interesting; take a look at Sonic Battle. Tails isn't bad in Sonic Battle either, though.

But personally I'm thinking maybe an Atlus character would be better at this point, especially with SMT X Fire Emblem still a thing. (Before I thought of Atlus the only thing I could think of from SEGA was a second Sonic character.)

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
To be honest, if we were getting a 2nd rep from Capcom, I would love it to be a Monster Hunter.

As in a single hunter with a variety of moves, depending on different weapons and maybe Palico summons. Final Smash, summon some gigantic and iconic monster and Kaboom! Or just make it Rath-of-Meow ;)

Plus Monster Hunter has been really close with Nintendo lately. I know it is not quite iconic though >.<

I also agree though that we might be getting more DLC characters than we thought, and this definitely raises the chances for many characters!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
>prospect of Ryu DLC

I mean... there are worse characters out there... but there are a lot of better ones too.

Especially if Nintendo isn't even going to be getting SFV. I mean it's a Sony exclusive for gosh sakes.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Im a fan of Ryu for sure, and definitely excited if he is coming. Hes been one of the characters ive rooted for, but just assumed it was a pipe dream. This definitely lends credence to the fact that our third party ballot choices have a chance, and thats excellent.

Ryu also squashes one of the anti snake arguments that many came with. The notion that snake cant return because he would be advertising for MGS5 on other systems. When here we have ryu, whos in an almost identical situation, last game was a 3DS port, and his newest game SFV is a PS4 and PC exclusive. So now we can leave that in the dust

Another source for Ryu and Roy being in the 3ds
https://twitter.com/crediar/status/588452304539418624
This guy is the guy who made the decryption tool that I used for the Wii U version. Like Random Talking Bush, he's incredibly trustworthy. He's also the guy that found Tingle and got the Hyrule Warriors update early.

The files are only present in the 3ds version.

They 100% exist.
push Dustin says it is real

it must be true

Ryu and my boy hype train coming through

^Ryu is a gaming icon. shhhh only hadoukens now

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Because she can be toned down, and still have an arsenal of moveset potential that would easily make up a fun character.

The only real time erotic behavior would actually be shown is her taunts and victory themes, but that can easily be toned down to the level of Palutena's pole-dancing.

Because she can be toned down, and still have an arsenal of moveset potential that would easily make up a fun character.

The only real time erotic behavior would actually be shown is her taunts and victory themes, but that can easily be toned down to the level of Palutena's pole-dancing.
you complain about Ridley being untrue to character but Bayonetta can magically be sacled toned down. sure

like really man? come on.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This sort of begs the question as to when they'll actually show up if they have files in the game and Wolf doesn't.

Since I still can't imagine he won't be out in time for SF Wii U.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Im a fan of Ryu for sure, and definitely excited if he is coming. Hes been one of the characters ive rooted for, but just assumed it was a pipe dream. This definitely lends credence to the fact that our third party ballot choices have a chance, and thats excellent.

Ryu also squashes one of the anti snake arguments that many came with. The notion that snake cant return because he would be advertising for MGS5 on other systems. When here we have ryu, whos in an almost identical situation, last game was a 3DS port, and his newest game SFV is a PS4 and PC exclusive. So now we can leave that in the dust
The thing is, what is Capcom offering Nintendo in return for this inclusion IF it happens (still skeptical)?

Not like Nintendo is going to create DLC to advertise Street Fighter out the goodness of their hearts while sharing part of the profit with Capcom at the same time.

Unless Sakurai found a friend in some higher up at Capcom who is responsible for Street Fighter.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I fully trust crediar. In addition: crediar also uploaded the music folder, which I have now. They are the same songs that were posted by the reddit source.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The difference Ridley fits more as a boss and Bayonetta fits more as a character.
It wouldn't look as awkward to see Bayonetta playable than Ridley being a character.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In response to the above:

OPINIONS OPINIONS OPINIONS OPINIONS

Incidentally, I resent the implication that Palutena's "pole-dancing" is a salacious or crude gesture.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The thing is, what is Capcom offering Nintendo in return for this inclusion IF it happens (still skeptical)?

Not like Nintendo is going to create DLC to advertise Street Fighter out the goodness of their hearts while sharing part of the profit with Capcom at the same time..
Thats the thing though, those against snake always threw out the notion that konami or metal gear owed dues for snake to return. Well now with this it just shows that they dont expect anything in return, they are getting a great character in smash bros. There is no eye for an eye mentality, smash bros only benefits from these inclusions.

Last edited:
The difference Ridley fits more as a boss and Bayonetta fits more as a character.
It wouldn't look as awkward to see Bayonetta playable than Ridley being a character.
this is something you said that i would have responded to because it makes sense but you didn't reply

It can, but then it wouldn't stay true to the character, which is something Sakurai talked about before.
You are outright saying that bayonetta can be less true to character. seriously man

Also how is game balance not true to character? No one in this game is true to character from a balance standpoint lol. This is how fighting games work.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So, Ryu is pretty much confirmed.
Can't say I'm too thrilled but whatever.
At least it shows third party DLC is possible.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Thats the thing though, those against snake always threw out the notion that konami or metal gear owed dues for snake to return. Well now with this it just shows that they dont expect anything in return, they are getting a great character in smash bros. There is no eye for an eye mentality, smash bros only benefits from these inclusions.
I am not so sure.

Snake was a request from Kojima to Sakurai hence got added to Brawl.

Ryu is definitely iconic, can't disagree with that but so far he has no foreseeable future with Nintendo.

The other 3rd parties that are in the game do:

1) Sonic, still getting games, some exclusive to Nintendo.
2) Pac-Man, same as above
3) Megaman, not getting any new games (so far) but almost every game has been on Nintendo. Can't see it leaving Nintendo.

Snake's not getting games, was removed.

Ryu, is not getting games (SFV exclusive to PS4 and PC) but is apparently being added to Smash. Hence I was wondering why. Maybe there is another deal in the works.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Guys. We now know that third parties can have multiple reps.

#VoteSnake&BomberMan

(Also Simon Belmont if you're feeling up to it.)

#TeamKonami

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As far as I'm concerned, there HAS to be another deal in the works that got Ryu into Smash. There's no benefit to Nintendo for this. Either Nintendo commissioned Capcom to make a game, such as a Nintendo vs. Capcom, or maybe Nintendo bought an IP from Capcom. Until we know what Nintendo got out of this, my stance on Snake stands.

Guys. We now know that third parties can have multiple reps.

#VoteSnake&BomberMan

(Also Simon Belmont if you're feeling up to it.)

#TeamKonami
This is true, but I still question one company getting TWO characters through DLC. Also, I still have my doubts about Snake until we know what Nintendo gets out of the Ryu deal, because I doubt they'd add Ryu for nothing.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Or maybe full use of the Mega Man IP didn't come with strings as unattached as we thought.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
As far as I'm concerned, there HAS to be another deal in the works that got Ryu into Smash. There's no benefit to Nintendo for this. Either Nintendo commissioned Capcom to make a game, such as a Nintendo vs. Capcom, or maybe Nintendo bought an IP from Capcom. Until we know what Nintendo got out of this, my stance on Snake stands.
Im praying for a Nintendo vs. Capcom Verses game. 3v3 Marvel Style hopefully.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Or maybe full use of the Mega Man IP didn't come with strings as unattached as we thought.
I highly doubt Nintendo would've agreed to add Mega Man into Smash if they were forced to add Ryu later as well. Of course, they have added a lot of Mega Man content lately, what with both Smash and Mario Kart costumes (I would've brushed it off if it was just Mario Kart because Sonic and Pac-Man both got Mario Kart costumes as well, but we admittedly have TWO Mega Man Smash costumes).

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I honestly dont know why everyone is in the mindset that a character has to coincide with another deal or separate game. Maybe they just wanted the benefit of making smash bros one hell of an all star game? As far as ive always seen it, nintendo never expected returns in terms of third party titles coming their way, and nor should they since thats the nature of third party.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom