• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
NO.

NO MORE RIDLEY TALK. :p

That's a good question...
King K. Rool
Krystal
Captain Toad (Just throwing that one there for now)
Impa
Those are just ones from the top of my head.
The Metroid comments above remind me - Sylux
I think characters that already have an existing franchise in Smash are more likely. How about everyone else?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think characters that already have an existing franchise in Smash are more likely. How about everyone else?
I don't think any series will get more than one character via DLC, and 3rd Party DLC isn't going to happen. So when we look at the series on the roster as is for possible/likely expansions to resident series...

:4mario:: Captain Toad is the big fore-runner.
:4link:: "Wizpig" Ganon or Impa.
:4kirby:: Bandana Dee
:4pikachu:: :4mewtwo:
:4dk:: King K. Rool or Dixie
:4samus:: With Ridley and Dark Samus locked by being NPC's, there's very little hope. Sylux/Rundas being stragglers on this.
:4fox:::wolf: far more likely than Krystal
:4yoshi:: No major choices
:4falcon:: Let's focus on a game first.
:4ness:::4lucas:
:4marth:: If ANYONE is going to be Fire Emblem DLC, really the only "major, reocurring" character would be Anna who has made an appearance in 12 of the 13 games.
:4wario2:: With Waluigi and Ashley locked by being NPC's, there's very little hope. Captain Syrup is basically the only straggler.
:4pit:: ...MOVING ON.
:4olimar:: No expansion really possible for fighters.
:4villager:: With Tom Nook and Isabelle locked by being NPC's, there's practically no hope.
:4wiifit:: ...No.
:4littlemac:: No expansion really possible for fighters.
:4mii:: Mii class? Fairly unlikely but a Mii Mage is in moderate discussion.
:4shulk:: I don't see another Xenoblade Chronicles character coming, and even an X character if nobody's particularly spectacular.
:4gaw::popo::icsmelee::4rob::4duckhunt: Retroes are more likely to get by blind dart throwing on a spreadsheet of names than legitimately assessing. Only "big" names that weren't turned into Assist Trophies are Mach Rider, Donbe & Hikari (may have Icies issues), and Captain Rainbow if you count him for his game being all about retroes.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, it's trivia time:

Do you know what company published the first third party game on Nintendo hardware?

Hudson Soft with Binary Land!

#VoteBomber
Not true actually. That would go to Nuts & Milk, released on July 28th, 1984:

Still by Hudson Soft thought which goes to show Hudson had been with Nintendo since the beginning.
That's not going to happen, because Sakurai can only do a relatively small amount of characters for DLC anyway.
So you might as well take the opportunity to give other third parties a chance.
Even adding one indie character would be adding characters willy-nilly to be honest, given how many steps down they are in comparison to the third-parties we do have. If we're going to continue to add third-party characters, it should only be either Snake, Bomberman, or Slime. Simon maybe but I don't feel he should get in before the three I mentioned. Anyone else is a no-go to me.
NO.

NO MORE RIDLEY TALK. :p

To be fair, stages should be all but guaranteed to happen and it's not like getting a character from a new franchise is unlikely either. I also think Inklings are the newcomers with the best chance of inclusion, new series or not. Chorus Men as well if they can find a way to get them and Ice Climbers to work.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't think any series will get more than one character via DLC, and 3rd Party DLC isn't going to happen. So when we look at the series on the roster as is for possible/likely expansions to resident series...

:4mario:: Captain Toad is the big fore-runner.
:4link:: "Wizpig" Ganon or Impa.
:4kirby:: Bandana Dee
:4pikachu:: :4mewtwo:
:4dk:: King K. Rool or Dixie
:4samus:: With Ridley and Dark Samus locked by being NPC's, there's very little hope. Sylux/Rundas being stragglers on this.
:4fox:::wolf: far more likely than Krystal
:4yoshi:: No major choices
:4falcon:: Let's focus on a game first.
:4marth:: If ANYONE is going to be Fire Emblem DLC, really the only "major, reocurring" character would be Anna who has made an appearance in 12 of the 13 games.
:4wario2:: With Waluigi and Ashley locked by being NPC's, there's very little hope. Captain Syrup is basically the only straggler.
:4pit:: ...MOVING ON.
:4olimar:: No expansion really possible for fighters.
:4villager:: With Tom Nook and Isabelle locked by being NPC's, there's practically no hope.
:4wiifit:: ...No.
:4littlemac:: No expansion really possible for fighters.
:4mii:: Mii class? Fairly unlikely but a Mii Mage is in moderate discussion.
:4shulk:: I don't see another Xenoblade Chronicles character coming, and even an X character if nobody's particularly spectacular.
:4gaw::popo::icsmelee::4rob::4duckhunt: Retroes are more likely to get by blind dart throwing on a spreadsheet of names than legitimately assessing. Only "big" names that weren't turned into Assist Trophies are Mach Rider, Donbe & Hikari (may have Icies issues), and Captain Rainbow if you count him for his game being all about retroes.
Im going to show my prespective of this.

For one reason yes i do believe only one rep per franchise.

(Reminder its just my opinion)

:4mario::its either captain toad or daisy
:4link:: impa has the highest atvantage but not to likely though
:4kirby::only one more possible and thats bandana dee
:4pikachu:::4mewtwo:
:4fox:::wolf: (i think its cake walk to say wolf is being delveloped as well as lucas now wolf while lucas is being developed.)
:4pit:: only viridi is possible but thats low do to the reset bomb stage. (But however a remind of :4tlink: on spirit train :4dk: on the 75m stage and :4duckhunt: on the duck hunt stage)
:4wario2::nope
:4falcon::black shadow or bust
:4dk::king k rool or dixie but the king has a huge atvantage due to the ballot and more request
:4marth:::roypm: or bust
:4samus::ridley and dark samus are stuck as NPC evn from the ballot get over it, its either rundas or sylux
Yes you too anothny
:4yoshi::next
:4sonic::4pacman::4megaman::banjo and kazooie or bust
:4littlemac::thats either doc louis or king hippo and i don't think either are happening.
:4mii::only other classic all i got is wizard, but it ain't happening.
:4villager::next
:4olimar::alph already from 3 in no more alts for olimar
:4shulk::nope
:4gaw::4duckhunt::popo::4rob:: these are single/retro reps so mach rider or captain rainbow or bust.

This is just my version of this.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Even adding one indie character would be adding characters willy-nilly to be honest, given how many steps down they are in comparison to the third-parties we do have.
They don't have to be iconic third-parties to get in, as long as they come from a popular franchise and have games on a Nintendo platform, they are as much of a qualifiable addition as Rayman, Bomberman, and other popular third-parties that are suggested here.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
I'm very fortunate that most of the characters I wanted for Smash 4 are already in such as Pac-man, Palutena and Mewtwo. Trying to come up with a top 5 wish list of DLC characters is actually a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. The current characters I'm thinking of are

Masked Man: We just got Lucas which is awesome but I've always wanted the Masked Man to be playable ever since I played Mother 3 six years ago. He has a lot of moveset potential with his arm cannon, sword, and PSI powers and could play like a mix of Metaknight, Mega Man and Lucas. Sadly I doubt he'll make it as we already have Lucas as DLC and he has a masked man alt colour.

Hades: Besides Palutena, Hades is my favourite character from Kid Icarus: Uprising. He has a trollish personality, a great voice and an intimidating presence. Unfortunately Kid Icarus already has two new reps in Smash 4 and I doubt Sakurai would want to put a third in despite working on the series previously.

K.Rool: I've only played a little bit of DK64 and I've never played the DKC games but K.Rool definitely deserves to be in from what I've seen. The Donkey Kong series has been neglected in Smash 4 and it really deserves another character. Unlike Dixie, K.Rool has a unique appearance and adds another villain to the roster which currently only has Bowser and Ganondorf as true villains.

Mona: I think Wario deserves a second rep and it was tough for me to pick between Mona and Captain Syrup but in the end I went with Mona. While it would be nice for the Wario Land series to get more love, I'd rather see what moveset Sakurai and his team could create for Mona. If they could somehow implement the microgame aspect of Warioware into Mona's moveset then she could end up being a very fun and unique character.

Rayman: I was very hyped when the Rayman CSS leak blew up a few months ago and it was disappointing to eventually see it deconfirmed. I never really thought about Rayman being playable before despite playing most of the games in his series and it really opened my eyes seeing all the support he was getting both here on Smashboards and elsewhere. I now think he would fit in perfectly with the rest of the roster and the other third party characters but we just need Ubisoft and Nintendo to put the past behind them.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Consider, if you will, Shantae not as a third-party character, but as a Nintendo character not actually owned by Nintendo.

Hey, if Banjo fans can do it, why can't supporters of the Half-Genie Hero~? ;P

D

Deleted member

They don't have to be iconic third-parties to get in, as long as they come from a popular franchise and have games on a Nintendo platform, they are as much of a qualifiable addition as Rayman, Bomberman, and other popular third-parties that are suggested here.
Wouldn't Sakurai's hesitant to add more third-parties indicate he realizes that third-parties are a special deal that shouldn't be overused and that the quality of the choice is incredibly important? He has stressed this point multiple times from pre-Brawl to today and there's no reason to believe that this has changed.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wouldn't Sakurai's hesitant to add more third-parties indicate he realizes that third-parties are a special deal that shouldn't be overused and that the quality of the choice is incredibly important? He has stressed this point multiple times from pre-Brawl to today and there's no reason to believe that this has changed.
I agree.

He may have changed his mind on many things since Brawl, but I don't think he's changed his mind in regards to third-party characters.

(Off-topic: Don't you happen to be SSBFan?)

In regards to characters per series:
Mario - I feel that Captain Toad could be a sound choice. He's had a starring role and could have a unique moveset. I don't know how is his support in the ballot, though.
DK - King K. Rool or Dixie Kong. Or maybe both. I feel that both have good chances thanks to their popularity. Dixie has the advantage of being previously planned for Brawl, while K. Rool could be seen as more unique and seems to be more popular.
The Legend of Zelda - With many choices being Assist Trophies, I can only see Impa as a feasible choice. But I don't think she has good chances.
Metroid - No real major characters besides Samus or Ridley... And Ridley is out of question.
Yoshi's Island - With Yoshi being more associated with Mario this time and the lack of any major characters in his own games, I feel the sub-series will remain with him as its only characters. And no, Kamek doesn't count, as he's just a regular ol' Magikoopa in Japanese versions, the whole Kamek/Magikoopa thing being the result of a mistranslation.
Kirby - Perhaps, Waddle Dee, but I don't think he has a following big enough.
Star Fox - Wolf has veteran status and popularity. In a similar boat as Lucas and Mewtwo were, he seems very likely. I don't think we'll be seeing any other characters from the series, though.
Pokémon - I don't know if, after Greninja and Mewtwo's return, Sakurai would consider adding another Pokémon character.
EarthBound - Lucas is back and I think that's it for the series in regards to characters.
F-Zero - Hasn't had a game for over 10 years... Not happening.
Fire Emblem - Roy has some popularity in Japan. I believe he has chances, even though people underestimate them.
Kid Icarus - Unless there is a massively requested character in the ballot, I don't believe the series will get any newcomer. The series was already lucky to have a whole bunch easily ported stuff from Kid Icarus: Uprising mainly on the 3DS version thanks to Sakurai directing both games.
Wario - I don't see a Wario series newcomer happening. In a somewhat similar situation as Yoshi.
Pikmin - The best I could see would be more alts for Olimar besides Alph.
Retro - Ice Climbers are the only choice and that is if they can find a way to make them work on both versions of the game.
Third-parties - Unless there's some sort of huge demand, I don't see any 3rd party happening. Snake does have veteran status helping him... Just a little bit.

Lastly, I don't believe any of the series introduced in Smash 4 to be getting a second character.

Blackmamba618

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! So I've been following the development of this game since the first trailer and I'm finally getting my Wii U and the game this week :)!! I'm curious about how you all chose your mains? Did you just pick your favorite character or did you play around with the cast till you found who your best with? My brawl mains were Diddy and Olimar, but I don't want to main Diddy cause I know he's the top character and I want to do something different. Here's my plan once I get the game: unlock all the characters, play 1 FG match with every character, anyone I lose with is eliminated from main consideration, keep going till the last character standing is my main! What do y'all think? So excited to get this game and hopefully I'll see you guys on the battlefield :)

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Series-specific character predictions?

:4mario: - Captain Toad. Toad's a staple of the series, and his Captain guise just sets him apart from the rabble. With a successful spin-off title under his belt and plenty of support from the creator and fans, he seems like he'd be a good choice.

:4yoshi: - Birdo. Yeah no.

:4wario2: - With Ashley out of the picture, Mona or Captain Syrup seem like the only reliable choices remaining. Shame neither of them are realistic.

:4dk: - K. Rool or Dixie. Preferably both, but either would be a blessing.

:4link: - Impa. As much as I'd love to see Tingle, he's been disconfirmed for a long time; not to mention the fact that he's staggeringly unpopular outside of Japan.

:4pikachu: - Pichu? There are a lot I'd like to see, but I can't imagine we'll get anymore, especially with Mewtwo coming in a couple of days' time.

:4kirby: - Bandana Dee: the Captain Toad of the Kirby mythos.

:4samus: - Ridley or Dark Samus are by far the most logical choices, and with them gone, it's a veeeery narrow runner-up sprint between Sylux and Rundas. I don't see either happening. Anthony or Adam would just be adding fuel to an already raging fire.

:4pit: - Highly, highly doubtful. If anybody was going to appear, it'd be Viridi, but it ain't gonna happen.

:4fox: - Wolf. This should go without saying, methinks.

:4falcon: - Moving very swiftly on~

:4ness: - Lucas is already a thing. We're good here.

:4littlemac: - No realistic choices.

:4marth: - Roy could be in with a shot, Tiki or Anna seem to be the most likely newcomers, possibly Kamui if FE14 is a success. That said, I don't think the latter is gonna happen.

:4wiifit: - Ahahahaha...yeah, nope.

:4olimar: - Again, no realistic choices.

:4shulk: - Very unlikely. I'd kill to see Metal Face, but even if he wasn't a stage hazard, no way is it gonna happen.

Retro - Takamaru's out and Ice Climbers seem unlikely, so...Mach Rider? Lip?

Third-party - Snake, maaaaybe Rayman at an absolute stretch.

Other - Isaac and Chorus Kids seem the most likely, Wonder Red would be a dream come true, anybody else is up in the air.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
He's likely not going to overuse them anyway like I said before. Some of the indie and 3rd party characters are quality choices when it comes to their potential moveset, some stand out like Snake and even moreso.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hey guys! So I've been following the development of this game since the first trailer and I'm finally getting my Wii U and the game this week :)!! I'm curious about how you all chose your mains? Did you just pick your favorite character or did you play around with the cast till you found who your best with? My brawl mains were Diddy and Olimar, but I don't want to main Diddy cause I know he's the top character and I want to do something different. Here's my plan once I get the game: unlock all the characters, play 1 FG match with every character, anyone I lose with is eliminated from main consideration, keep going till the last character standing is my main! What do y'all think? So excited to get this game and hopefully I'll see you guys on the battlefield :)
Kid Icarus: Uprising is my all-time favourite game, and Pit and Palutena are my two favourite Nintendo characters. It was meant to be.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
He's likely not going to overuse them anyway like I said before. Some of the indie and 3rd party characters are quality choices when it comes to their potential moveset, some stand out like Snake and even moreso.
3rd parties need more than just potential moveset. They need to be characters with impact in the gaming industry throughout several generations.

Sonic, Snake, Mega Man and Pac-Man fit that. Some random indie characters that happen to be new and popular things and have their companies pushing their inclusion don't fit that.

Sakurai is very strict in his criteria for 3rd party characters.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well I don't think it would have to be several generations, but playing along this, some have made some level of impact within gaming. Quote being the most critically acclaimed indie game of all time, Agnes having a game that revolutionized the genre of RPG with the Brave Default mechanic, Layton being the first and successful new puzzle series Level-5 has created, Shantae having a cult classic game in addition to her large successful kickstarted that led to the continuation of her franchise, Shovel Knight being a critically acclaimed game across all of the platforms it released on. They aren't just random characters people suggest to Sakurai.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well I don't think it would have to be several generations, but playing along this, some have made some level of impact within gaming. Quote being the most critically acclaimed indie game of all time, Agnes having a game that revolutionized the genre of RPG with the Brave Default mechanic, Layton being the first and successful new puzzle series Level-5 has created, Shantae having a cult classic game in addition to her large successful kickstarted that led to the continuation of her franchise, Shovel Knight being a critically acclaimed game across all of the platforms it released on. They aren't just random characters people suggest to Sakurai.
Honestly, I feel like Quote is the only one of the 5 listed that can be disputed on their merits as a character and the game/series they represent because indie games were very often overseen when it came to any potential or merit until Cave Story made a massive mark on how people viewed the sub-culture of indie games.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, I feel like Shantae and Layton are nearly second-party IPs at this stage.

As much as I'd be hype for them to appear in Smash, though, I don't think I'd want Nintendo to buy the rights to them. They're doing just fine (or have done, in Layton's case) with their respective creators.

And anyway Bozon and Hino were supporting their characters in Smash before it was cool.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Consider, if you will, Shantae not as a third-party character, but as a Nintendo character not actually owned by Nintendo.

Hey, if Banjo fans can do it, why can't supporters of the Half-Genie Hero~? ;P
Can I do that for Professor Layton too? Pretty please.........? Embarrass

I think some third parties who have contributed a lot for Nintendo should at least get trophies though.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
What's with everyone here thinking that Viridi is the only viable Kid Icarus choice left?

I'd personally take Medusa or Hades over her in a heart beat.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
What's with everyone here thinking that Viridi is the only viable Kid Icarus choice left?

THANK YOU.

Personally, Medusa is the only real choice for KI DLC. Hades can keep his memes, Medusa has class.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
THANK YOU.

Personally, Medusa is the only real choice for KI DLC. Hades can keep his memes, Medusa has class.
I prefer Medusa, but I think Hades would be a fun addition as well.

D

Deleted member

I agree.

He may have changed his mind on many things since Brawl, but I don't think he's changed his mind in regards to third-party characters.

(Off-topic: Don't you happen to be SSBFan?)

In regards to characters per series:
Mario - I feel that Captain Toad could be a sound choice. He's had a starring role and could have a unique moveset. I don't know how is his support in the ballot, though.
DK - King K. Rool or Dixie Kong. Or maybe both. I feel that both have good chances thanks to their popularity. Dixie has the advantage of being previously planned for Brawl, while K. Rool could be seen as more unique and seems to be more popular.
The Legend of Zelda - With many choices being Assist Trophies, I can only see Impa as a feasible choice. But I don't think she has good chances.
Metroid - No real major characters besides Samus or Ridley... And Ridley is out of question.
Yoshi's Island - With Yoshi being more associated with Mario this time and the lack of any major characters in his own games, I feel the sub-series will remain with him as its only characters. And no, Kamek doesn't count, as he's just a regular ol' Magikoopa in Japanese versions, the whole Kamek/Magikoopa thing being the result of a mistranslation.
Kirby - Perhaps, Waddle Dee, but I don't think he has a following big enough.
Star Fox - Wolf has veteran status and popularity. In a similar boat as Lucas and Mewtwo were, he seems very likely. I don't think we'll be seeing any other characters from the series, though.
Pokémon - I don't know if, after Greninja and Mewtwo's return, Sakurai would consider adding another Pokémon character.
EarthBound - Lucas is back and I think that's it for the series in regards to characters.
F-Zero - Hasn't had a game for over 10 years... Not happening.
Fire Emblem - Roy has some popularity in Japan. I believe he has chances, even though people underestimate them.
Kid Icarus - Unless there is a massively requested character in the ballot, I don't believe the series will get any newcomer. The series was already lucky to have a whole bunch easily ported stuff from Kid Icarus: Uprising mainly on the 3DS version thanks to Sakurai directing both games.
Wario - I don't see a Wario series newcomer happening. In a somewhat similar situation as Yoshi.
Pikmin - The best I could see would be more alts for Olimar besides Alph.
Retro - Ice Climbers are the only choice and that is if they can find a way to make them work on both versions of the game.
Third-parties - Unless there's some sort of huge demand, I don't see any 3rd party happening. Snake does have veteran status helping him... Just a little bit.

Lastly, I don't believe any of the series introduced in Smash 4 to be getting a second character.
Yeah I'm SSBFan. I changed my name because my premium is fixing to expire and because I find Ness saying "FUZZY PICKLES!" in the game with his peace signto be both cute and hilarious.
The thing here is that all third-party characters already in have had made a significant impact on gaming over several generations; same can't be said for the likes of Agnes, Quote, Shantae, and Shovel Knight. We have no idea if any of these franchises will even be relevant ten years from now let alone have any reasons to believe they will come close to the third-parties that already made it in. The only one in your list that could arguably be a good choice is Professor Layton but even then there's the issue of diminishing returns on third-parties (which would apply to everyone except Snake to be honest) and he needs to continue to be relevant if he is going to hope to get into a Smash game.

Last edited by a moderator:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Actually...why IS Viridi seen as more likely than Medusa or Hades anyway?

Personally I'd go Medusa, myself. I'm an old school fan of KI before it became everyone's favourite. Love her redesign though.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Actually...why IS Viridi seen as more likely than Medusa or Hades anyway?

Personally I'd go Medusa, myself. I'm an old school fan of KI before it became everyone's favourite. Love her redesign though.
Because Japan and their loli waifu bull****, that's why.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think Viridi has a chance.

She's part of a stage and I don't think she can really be replaced, since she plays an active role on that stage.

People use Toon Link and Alfonzo or Duck Hunt and 75 m as ways to justify replacing stage characters or multiples of the same character... It doesn't work like that.

Toon Link just happens to be a small cameo and Alfonzo can play the same train-driving role just fine.

Are there any other characters that can summon Reset Bombs from the sky? Nope, no one else can fill that role.

Even Ridley could have Mecha-Ridley as a replacement for his boss role, even though that hardly has a chance to happen.

As for Duck Hunt and 75 m, those are meant to be exact reproductions of the games they're based on, starting from the 8-bit graphics to be completely faithful reproductions of those original games. Those stages even have a freaking score in them. They're designed to evoke the feeling of the characters being literally inside another game.

Exceptions don't make rules.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah I'm SSBFan. I changed my name because my premium is fixing to expire and because I find Ness saying "FUZZY PICKLES!" in the game with his peace signto be both cute and hilarious.The thing here is that all third-party characters already in have had made a significant impact on gaming over several generations; same can't be said for the likes of Agnes, Quote, Shantae, and Shovel Knight. We have no idea if any of these franchises will even be relevant ten years from now let alone have any reasons to believe they will come close to the third-parties that already made it in. The only one in your list that could arguably be a good choice is Professor Layton but even then there's the issue of diminishing returns on third-parties (which would apply to everyone except Snake to be honest) and he needs to continue to be relevant if he is going to hope to get into a Smash game.
Actually, in regards to Shantae, her first game came out in 2002, so...if you asked if she would be relevant in ten years in 2002, the answer would have been "yes".

Most of the ballot-related polls say that Captain Toad is getting a lot of support actually.
As is the Inkling. Rarely does the general consensus line up with my desires so perfectly.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
In terms of Metroid characters, it's Ridley or bust. One-offs like Rundas and Anthony, or side villains like Dark Samus shouldn't be prioritized over the main characters of the franchise; this is an star-studded slam fest, after all.
Ridley is also the Metroid antagonist that everybody knows outside of Mother Brain, so he definitely fits the "all-star" bill more than, say, Rundas does. He's Samus' archnemesis, as well. More people know Ridley than know Rundas, so Ridley is a logical choice over Rundas.

As for his boss status....Ridley gets cloned about as often as Mario saves Peach. I think Smash can make another Ridley clone. :p Besides, it's non-canon anyways, so if anything this should make Ridley an ideal canidate for a newcomer; he's prominent in his home series, he's popular and he has moveset potential. Any other potential Metroid characters fill only one or two of them (Anthony is somewhat prominent, while Rundas has moveset potential and is popular), while only Ridley fills all three. Putting Rundas or Dark Samus or Anthony in would be like putting Dark Pit in; it's only because they're popular right now, not because they have become a staple Nintendo character like Ridley has.

If Ridley is "too big", than Olimar, Kirby, King Dedede and Meta Knight should all be "too small"; excluding one character for arbitrary reasons while letting others with the same problem go just because they aren't "too big" is a pathetic reason to exclude one of Nintendo's most well-known villains from a spot on the roster. :/

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I hope i won't get yelled st this for saying that, but I think for the mario characters, I see more either captain toad or Paper Mario and if I had to consider everything and set priority between both, I would say Paper Mario.

I could explain more if you want, but I see they both will rep something unreped, they both would contribute to add diversity and they both are important enough for consideration.

The reason I put slightly more importance on Paper Mario is because he had a well developped series behind. Even if you discard SS (which I don't know why you should), Nintendo already acknowledge the first 3 games already.

Also, if I go further, than it's purely personal like artstyle and stuff, but I'm honestly surprised to not see Paper Mario much mentioned. With the current roster, it seems to just be a great compromise between playstyle potential and importance just as is captain toad, but I often feels he's more ignored, don;t get me wrong, both character are quite popular....it just makes me -> :(

Actually, I thought this since more than a year, but I just feel more comfortable to say it now because...I seem to have a way better experience of this thread now.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Can I do that for Professor Layton too? Pretty please.........? Embarrass

I think some third parties who have contributed a lot for Nintendo should at least get trophies though.
Be my guest~ ;3

I actually wrote that message with Layton in mind as well, ahaha~

She's not, but she's probably the most viable, at least going by Uprising. She's one of the few characters in the Kid Icarus mythos to have a major role in the story (if Uprising's ending and Palutena's Guidance are anything to go by), and pretty much the only one not already in the roster to have a mainline role in the story (Magnus and Phosphora are recurrent characters, but their influence is only felt in a small handful of chapters, compared to Viridi becoming a mainstay ally after the Forces of Nature arc).

In this game? Nah, man. Even @oni333, the owner of the Viridi thread and our resident nature buff, acknowledges that her chances in Smash 4 are basically nil.

But for future games? Yeah, it's pretty big.

I'm not saying Medusa or Hades don't stand a chance (and for all we know, they could return in the next Kid Icarus game), but Viridi is pretty much the fourth main character (after Pit, Palutena and Pittoo) at this stage. You could even argue that Medusa has more of a chance due to being one of a tiny selection of characters to have been around since the beginning, not to mention relatively impressive fan support, and even Hades could get in on charm alone. It's the fact that she's an important character in Uprising and, has a very, very high chance of appearing in future games, that puts her - at least in my own opinion - just a smidge beyond Medusa and Hades.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Be my guest~ ;3

I actually wrote that message with Layton in mind as well, ahaha~

She's not, but she's probably the most viable, at least going by Uprising. She's one of the few characters in the Kid Icarus mythos to have a major role in the story (if Uprising's ending and Palutena's Guidance are anything to go by), and pretty much the only one not already in the roster to have a mainline role in the story (Magnus and Phosphora are recurrent characters, but their influence is only felt in a small handful of chapters, compared to Viridi becoming a mainstay ally after the Forces of Nature arc).

In this game? Nah, man. Even @oni333, the owner of the Viridi thread and our resident nature buff, acknowledges that her chances in Smash 4 are basically nil.

But for future games? Yeah, it's pretty big.

I'm not saying Medusa or Hades don't stand a chance (and for all we know, they could return in the next Kid Icarus game), but Viridi is pretty much the fourth main character (after Pit, Palutena and Pittoo) at this stage. You could even argue that Medusa has more of a chance due to being one of a tiny selection of characters to have been around since the beginning, not to mention relatively impressive fan support, and even Hades could get in on charm alone. It's the fact that she's an important character in Uprising and, has a very, very high chance of appearing in future games, that puts her - at least in my own opinion - just a smidge beyond Medusa and Hades.
Playable female villain would be nice is all. (#TeamMedusa.)

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Playable female villain would be nice is all. (#TeamMedusa.)
inb4 captain syrup supporters claim seniority

I was just about to type that and then realised Medusa still wins on that front. Ha!

No offense to Captain Syrup supporters, I'm just yankin' yer chain~ :3

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Kid Icarus is kind of like Fire Emblem. It's very character driven, has a lot of different, but memorable characters.

They're both small series, I agree, but they have so many memorable characters, even minor ones, I don't mind them getting some special treatment.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Personal bias to see more KI stuff aside, I think the series has maxed out in content.

I'd like to see Ice Climbers return, but that's a near impossibility with the 3DS' hardware issues.

Rhythm Heaven would be my only choice for a nonrepresentative Smash series. As for currently represented, K. Room fits my bill.

And before any of the above: Professor Layton. :upsidedown:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Personal bias to see more KI stuff aside, I think the series has maxed out in content.
I agree with this. As someone who wanted to see KIU get a lot of exposure in Smash 4, I feel like it did more harm than good and made a lot of people retroactively dislike it, especially on /v/. :I

If Ridley is "too big", than Olimar, Kirby, King Dedede and Meta Knight should all be "too small"; excluding one character for arbitrary reasons while letting others with the same problem go just because they aren't "too big" is a pathetic reason to exclude one of Nintendo's most well-known villains from a spot on the roster. :/

Ridley is a lot more comparable to say, Emperor Bulblax, than he is to Olimar or Kirby, honestly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom