• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy ridley talk.
inb4 that pic of ROB is linked
called it.

counterargument: SSE giant ROB exists. gets rekt by falcon and pikmin

jeez im arguing agianst ridley as much as for nowadays

EDIT why did this go to the next page. now no one knows im referencing the post before and I look crazy ;_;

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
are you implying that Viridi or Hades shopuld have a sideboob? I dont think anyone wants to see that
Well Hades looked weird but he did kinda have the whole visible chest going on
Virdi is fine with that whole 12 year old look she has

called it.

counterargument: SSE giant ROB exists. gets rekt by falcon and pikmin

jeez im arguing agianst ridley as much as for nowadays

that R.O.B wasn't NEARLY as big as the R.O.B in Pikmin

Last edited:
Well Hades looked weird but he did kinda have the whole visible chest going on
Virdi is fine with that whole 12 year old look she has

I can't find a pic of it but that R.O.B wasn't NEARLY as big as the R.O.B in Pikmin
it's more the implication that the ROBs can vary in size and arent ALL set to be 1 size. This it is possible that a bigger ROB exists.

of course that one i based on a toy ROB as pikmin is based on a world with dead/gone humans but smash canon is fun.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
When you make talk about Ridley and People bring up Olimar they're all like "Oh, well he's NEVER compared to anyone else besides those in his own game so he's FINE to be scaled up"

But I'm like

????

That's obviously the friend of the Giant R.O.B. from the SSE, not the playable R.O.B. :troll:

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
it's more the implication that the ROBs can vary in size and arent ALL set to be 1 size. This it is possible that a bigger ROB exists.

of course that one i based on a toy ROB as pikmin is based on a world with dead/gone humans but smash canon is fun.
Screenshot (51).png

*Sad Trumpet Noise*

Last edited:

Banjo and Me

Smash Rookie
All things are my opinion obviously
Top 5 Most Likely Nintendo Characters

Wolf
King K Rool
Dixie Kong
Krystal
Impa

I think it is too early to say that Inkling and Wonder Red are locks for DLC fighters but could see some kind of assist trophy made for them. Shulk aside, I just don't see Sakurai flooding the roster with new game franchises.

Top 5 Personally Most Wanted Nintendo Characters
Ridley (not happening)
Isaac
Dixie Kong
Krystal
Ice Climbers (probably back in Smash 5)

Top 5 Personally Believed Most Deserving 3rd Party characters
Banjo-Kazooie (My most wanted character but probably won't happen)
Simon Belmont (Snake is more likely for Konami rep however)
Bomberman
Black Mage
Rayman

These 3rd party characters are the only ones I believe have even close to the level of icon status that Sakurai is looking for. I personally believe that Snake is the most likely to happen if any, but think that Simon, Bomberman, Black Mage, and Rayman would all be excellent assist trophy DLC. Banjo by far feels like he is most deserving but I just can't see it happening, as happy as I would be if it did.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

We haven't had a Zelda newcomer yet...

Let's seriously discuss Impa.

So I ask everyone!

1. What kind of playstyle do you think she would have?
2. What kind of specials?
3. Do you think she's important enough to be included? Why/Why not?
4. Do you feel she's likely? Why/Why not?
5. Do you feel she would be seen as a positive inclusion?
6. Would @Diddy Kong marry her render?
7. What form of Impa do you think is most likely?
8. If not Impa, then who?

So...

So I ask everyone!

1. another ninja but much more brutal. more power less speed then greninja/shiek think shen from LOL. still a ninja but not exactly the perfect example

2.ninja-y ones? apparently she can use magic

3. no. 2 worthwhile appearances and the rest are basically an easter egg like secret to everyone but a character

4. no. likely not seen as unique enough like chrom

5. yes because "muh reps" and looking cool

6. arent they engaged already?

7. skyward sword. HW is non-canon and while OoT is technically more recent we already have shiek

8. Ganon or Tingle. 1 is outright deconfirmed the other might as well be.
or midna

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
What characters do you think are the most likely to get in my top 5 guesses are:

1. Wolf
2. K.Rool
3.Inkling
4.Captain Toad
5.Bandanna Dee
Same for first 2.

3: Paper Mario OR captain toad (roughly, I would say the former a bit more likely, but because I see the chances quite close each other and you have to add the bias factor, I will say even).
4: issac (idk, I just feels he could be a great addition enough even if I feel the repping is a bit deep, plus, he did got quite more than average on brawl).
5: ....euh....well....hum.....ok, inkling.

I just feel there's a so big gap between 4 and 5 that I have a hard tiime to choose the 5, I don't even think inkling is that likely.

But it's essentially this. They also go by importance meaning I would see the first before second etc....

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
So...

Let's seriously discuss GANON, THE MORE DOMINANT VILLAIN OF THE SERIES

So I ask everyone!

1. What kind of playstyle do you think he would have?
3. Do you think he's important enough to be included? Why/Why not?
4. Do you feel he's likely? Why/Why not?
5. Do you feel he would be seen as a positive inclusion?
6. Would I main this as hard as ThunderCougarFalcondorf?
With some liberties with the Wizpig.

1) A beyond-sluggish heavy weight that relies most of all on spacing with his trident and the magical arsenal he totes.
2) B would be the traditional Dead Man's Volley. Side B would be his traditional fire bats, which would likely have a minor homing ability akin to :4samus:'s missles. Up B would be the traditional Blink/Warp that is part of his bread and butter. While this is shared by :4mewtwo::4zelda::4palutena:, it isn't as saturated as say... :4marth::4myfriends::4lucina::4shulk::4palutena::4littlemac: :4miigun::4miisword:a counter. Down B? ...All I really have in mind is a projectile reflector with his cape.
3) Yes. He's the very foundation of the series as the villian, has at least double-to-triple the installments AS the Final Boss in comparison to :4ganondorf:. We have two versions of Zelda :sheilda:, two current versions of Link, :4link::4tlink:. This would have a proper equality to the trio based on the Tri-Force and would bring the weapon-and-magic combination people have repeatedly asked for with Ganondorf himself.
4) Less likely than he should be. People have more fawned over the very recent popularity of Impa than the long-established Villain whose most recent appearance was Link Between Worlds and Hyrule Warriors as part of Ganondorf's specials.
5) He'd be disliked by the Impa supporters that go so hard on her inclusion but overall would become a big newcomer. A heavyweight with a kind of moveset that has demand.
6) Nope, because I'm historically pretty bad with projectile-centric characters.

Isn't Ganon the reincarnated form of Ganondorf. I was always confused by that.
You have :4ganondorf:. A Gerudo king raised by two witches and seeks to conquer hyrule and set his people free from the isolationist desert life they have. He attempts this by stealing the Tri-Force, a relic of ultimate potential crafted by the goddesses that created Hyrule. It shatters at his touch and seperates, Power to :4ganondorf:. Wisdom to :4zelda:. Courage to :4link:. When killed, the boiling rage of his soul corrupted absolutely by absolute power of his third of the Triforce gives him the new body of Ganon. That's more or less the situation.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
So basically that means he is ganondorf. Why do people want him in then?
Because while being the same character in soul, their bodies and powers are not close to shared. It's even less connected than considering Mario in a traditional platformer to Paper Mario. :4zelda: is :4sheik: and :4samus: is :4zss: but they share little to nothing in terms of playstyles or movesets. And frankly, Ganon is a more long-term established and more frequently used Final Boss for the series and is more daunting as a whole.

Edit: Also the entire fact that there's enough of Smash fans that are salty about :4ganondorf:'s moveset would have the actual tactics seen in his fights both as Ganondorf and Ganon in his other forme.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
With some liberties with the Wizpig.

1) A beyond-sluggish heavy weight that relies most of all on spacing with his trident and the magical arsenal he totes.
2) B would be the traditional Dead Man's Volley. Side B would be his traditional fire bats, which would likely have a minor homing ability akin to :4samus:'s missles. Up B would be the traditional Blink/Warp that is part of his bread and butter. While this is shared by :4mewtwo::4zelda::4palutena:, it isn't as saturated as say... :4marth::4myfriends::4lucina::4shulk::4palutena::4littlemac: :4miigun::4miisword:a counter. Down B? ...All I really have in mind is a projectile reflector with his cape.
3) Yes. He's the very foundation of the series as the villian, has at least double-to-triple the installments AS the Final Boss in comparison to :4ganondorf:. We have two versions of Zelda :sheilda:, two current versions of Link, :4link::4tlink:. This would have a proper equality to the trio based on the Tri-Force and would bring the weapon-and-magic combination people have repeatedly asked for with Ganondorf himself.
4) Less likely than he should be. People have more fawned over the very recent popularity of Impa than the long-established Villain whose most recent appearance was Link Between Worlds and Hyrule Warriors as part of Ganondorf's specials.
5) He'd be disliked by the Impa supporters that go so hard on her inclusion but overall would become a big newcomer. A heavyweight with a kind of moveset that has demand.
6) Nope, because I'm historically pretty bad with projectile-centric characters.

You have :4ganondorf:. A Gerudo king raised by two witches and seeks to conquer hyrule and set his people free from the isolationist desert life they have. He attempts this by stealing the Tri-Force, a relic of ultimate potential crafted by the goddesses that created Hyrule. It shatters at his touch and seperates, Power to :4ganondorf:. Wisdom to :4zelda:. Courage to :4link:. When killed, the boiling rage of his soul corrupted absolutely by absolute power of his third of the Triforce gives him the new body of Ganon. That's more or less the situation.
Well for one thing, we have two Zeldas, two Links, and two Pits Marios. Secondly, he'd probably play totally differently, and maybe, just maybe, accurately represent the character.
Ok Now I get it.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Ok another question: What what would your ideal character trailer be? I made one for Wolf:

Fox and Falco are on the great fox back to back on the Orbital gate assault stage. Bowser and Ganondorf run at them and Fox and Falco knock 'em of the stage with ease. The duo taunts when suddenly a smart bomb comes from the sky hitting them and ko'ing them. Wolf then jumps down and taunts. The splash art then appears that says "Wolf takes aim". Que move showcase and there ya go.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
So...

So I ask everyone!

1. More of a slower ninja like style.

2. All I can think of is a shield that absorbs an attack before breaking.
(Based off what she did against Ghirahim in Skyward Sword.)

3. Not quite. She hasn't played a big part in that many 3D Zelda games, and she's otherwise depicted as an older woman. If she plays a larger roll in Zelda Wii U, maybe showing off some combat skill, I can then see her as important enough to be included in Smash 5.

4. I don't think she's all that likely to be honest. I remember Smash character speculation before Hyrule Warriors, and her popularity went up immensely after that game released.

5. It depends. If her Hyrule Warriors motif somehow made it in, which I strongly believe won't happen, she would probably be seen as a positive inclusion. If not, there will most likely be quite a few disappointed Impa fans who only jumped on the bandwagon after Hyrule Warriors dropped.

6. I don't feel comfortable answering that question...

7. I feel her Skyward Sword appearance is most likely.

8. Either Tetra or Toon Zelda both have as much a chance as Impa does to be honest. They were planned to be in Brawl, and there's no reason to think that Sakurai definitely wouldn't choose one of them over Impa to be DLC for the Zelda franchise.
(That's of course assuming Sakurai would even want to add a Zelda character. He might feel that the franchise is already perfectly represented enough as it is.)

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Top 5 1st Party List
1: Ridley
2: King K.Rool
3: Isaac/Matthew
4: Savvy Stylist
5: Ray Mk3

Top 5 3rd Party List
1: Bayonetta
2: Professor Layton
3: Simon Belmont(Mirror of Fate Design)
4: Shovel Knight
5: Cooking Mama

Ok another question: What what would your ideal character trailer be? I made one for Wolf:

Fox and Falco are on the great fox back to back on the Orbital gate assault stage. Bowser and Ganondorf run at them and Fox and Falco knock 'em of the stage with ease. The duo taunts when suddenly a smart bomb comes from the sky hitting them and ko'ing them. Wolf then jumps down and taunts. The splash art then appears that says "Wolf takes aim". Que move showcase and there ya go.
Lucas wanders alone on the Pyrosphere then it shows the scene from a down-ward angle, a roar is heard and Lucas falls back scared as "Ridley, Is Back Again"

It's basically Ridley attacking a small blonde child because reference

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
So...

So I ask everyone!

1. A cross between Zelda and Sheik. Not quite as fast, but more defensive as well.
2. I don't think they'd use Hyrule Warriors, so I'd assume they'd take stuff from Skyward Sword, and make up what they can't convert. No idea what those would actually be.
3. Honestly? No. She's a recurring character, but isn't very memorable or prevalent in most games she appears in.
4. Nope. I doubt she's a popular pick
5. I think any Zelda newcomer would be positively received at this point. But as DLC... I'm pretty sure there are other characters that people would prefer.
6. Yes. Multiple times, if possible.
7. Skyward Sword Impa.
8. Ganon

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So...

So I ask everyone!

1: I think Impa would be a bit on the slow side, mainly because she's carrying one of two of her weapons, the Naginata and the Giant's Blade, however, she makes up for her slow movement speed with the greatest range of the Zelda cast. (Maybe nerf the size of the weapons for balance)

2: Let's see.
Neutral :GCB:: Impa's Strong Attack from Hyrule Warriors - Impa charges the Giant's Blade, with a bit of Super Armour in the first frames and quickly rushes forwards and slashes with the sword. While charging, you can alter how she swings the sword, for example, pressing :GCU: while charging will make Impa slash upwards at the cost of damage and :GCD: for a sweeping attack that can make the opponent trip over.
Side :GCB:: Flaming Naginata Toss - Impa throws her Naginata like a projectile, and it explodes into a a wall of fire like Robin's Arcfire. One difference is that the Naginata deals a bit of damage before it explodes.
Up :GCB:: ...Not entirely sure at the moment.
Down :GCB:: Shadow Spike - (Made that one up since she's the Sage of Shadows in OoT) Impa jabs her spear into the ground, and it travels as a shadow that can be moved along the ground. When the button is released, the spear will poke out of the ground immediately.

3: I think Impa's inclusion would benefit the series by showing that there's more than just the Triforce bearers that are vital to the series, but their allies as well, and Impa is a well-trusted ally for Zelda and Link throughout the series' history.

4: Perhaps what's hurting Impa's chances is that before Hyrule Warriors, not many people would have considered her because her combative role in the series is miniscule. True she does fight as shown in Skyward Sword, but she becomes more fleshed out with HW. Perhaps if she appears again in Zelda Wii U and plays a greater role and even a playable character, then Impa could be used as a promotional character for the game.

5: I'm sure people who enjoyed her inclusion in HW would love to see her in Smash Bros, yet on the other hand, people who may not explore the greater character depth within the Zelda series may find her a bit out of place from a glance.

7: Perhaps a blend of her Skyward Sword/Hyrule Warriors designs would work well.

8: Ghirahim.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So...

So I ask everyone!

fast and zoney

not ones from hyrule warriors

yes because do your zelda research

for a zelda character yeah in general ehh

unless she's a sheik clone

if she's not white

skyward sword or zelda wii u

impa

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Another trailer I created:

Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man are fighting on Battlefield in the Wii U version. They are trading blows when they all happen to land under the middle platform and proceed to charge up their side smash attacks. As they are bout to launch their smash attacks a bomb flies from the sky and hits all of them knocking them away. Bomberman then drops down and his splash art appears saying "Bomberman blows 'em away". Que move set and that's a wrap.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Impa seems really boring, considering the whole 'ninja warrior' is already well done by Sheik.

Let's put it this way: I'd take Tingle over Impa.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
My top 5 most wanted Newcomers,
1. Ray Mk. III/Ray 01
2. Inklings
3. K. Rool
4. Dixie Kong
5. Chibi Robo

I also want Wolf AND Krystal, but the latter is much more than likely not happening thanks to the former. (Which is not really a big deal)

As far as third parties go,
1. No

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Impa seems really boring, considering the whole 'ninja warrior' is already well done by Sheik.

Let's put it this way: I'd take Tingle over Impa.
That's a complaint heard fairly often before a character gets in, and pretty rarely after they get in, assuming they aren't simply a clone.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
3rd parties need more than just potential moveset. They need to be characters with impact in the gaming industry throughout several generations.

Sonic, Snake, Mega Man and Pac-Man fit that. Some random indie characters that happen to be new and popular things and have their companies pushing their inclusion don't fit that.

Sakurai is very strict in his criteria for 3rd party characters.
Simon Belmont?:awesome:...I wish...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I have no hesitation, but @Relax Alax once made a trailer idea for Paper Mario....warning for supporters, this is just huge hype inducing:
[collapse=STYLISH! trailer here :)]
Link appears walking into a dungeon. It is a dark underground area with ruins all about. Jail cells with bars can be seen, and darkness plagues the background. Somewhat resembling a sewer.

Link heads in deeper. Water droplets fall from overhanging pipes. As he heads in deeper he notices a weird star door in front of him. Curious he steps on through it. He enters out of the door on top of some sort of tower! Confused, he's looking around for answers and is a bit reluctant. However, he sees a giant wooden chest further out on the tower. Delighted, he rubs his hands together and he waltz over to the chest. He goes forward to opening it. As it opens, the traditional music plays:

BUT on the last note, the music gets interrupted and cuts like a record. It appears to be a map rolled up.

As this happens, the map rustles and Link steps back drawing his sword and this song plays as the paper unravels. It stands before Link

PAPER MARIO SLIPS IN!

(Still in CG, but moved to Paper Marios stage, Flipside Tower, ala the Little Mac trailer) Link standa looking confused. He eventually snaps out of it and goes forward to attack him. Paper Mario transforms paper thin to dodge Link with ease. He then gently floats to the ground. Link is slashing everywhere to no avail. Paper Mario transforms into the cylindrical paper roll behind Link, and moves forward to make Link trip and fall to the floor.

Link tries to sit up, shaking his head. He looks left and right for Paper Mario but is greeted by a beep.

Beep (He's frantically looking)
Beep (He turns around . Paper Mario is holding a hammer over him)
.... BEEP (Paper Mario brings down the hammer and Link is launched in the air for a star KO)

The trailer begins with this music , but a more fast paced fighting theme.

He's shown flying in on his paper airplane to Battlefield. He goes into a idle animation where it appears he's choosing what to do like in his games. The first scene shows him attacking several characters with his Hammer attack. His dash is his spinning run from the first Paper Mario. A few funny situations show his special move where he goes completely thin and can move around nearly invisibly. A scene occurs where Bowser is in the middle of the real Mario and Paper Mario. He looks at PM, then at Mario, then at Paper Mario, who then retracts into his flat form. This causes Bowser to Smash Attack Mario and send him flying off. A few scenes show him roll dodging with his paper roll, him running unsuccessfully as Kirby is trying to suck him up and him laying completely flat on the ground after being hit . He then shows his final smash where he summons show stopper and tears through the screen with the Crystal Stars and KO's his opponents.

The trailer ends with Mario running to save Peach and randomly getting hit by a bomb. Paper Mario unravels out of his flat form beside Peach as she taunts.

The usual Logo comes up with release date and all that jazz.

At the very end it shows Luigi on a stage with PM appearing. Luigi looks at him and he looks at Luigi. Luigi dash attacks away in fear and PM looks at the screen gesturing "I dunno ...."

Ahhh if only if only.
[/collapse]

I can't not feel hype every time I read this.....

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
My top wanted characters are:
1) Spyro the Dragon (Surprising, I know)
2) Everyone else
If Spyro joined, I'd be really happy. If some non-Spyro pleb other character got in, I'd be fine with that too. No matter who it is, I'd still buy the DLC, try out that character, and either use him/her/it if I like the character's playstyle, or ignore him/her/it and only use the character as a punching bag to the learn the matchup.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My top wanted characters are:
1) Spyro the Dragon (Surprising, I know)
2) Everyone else
If Spyro joined, I'd be really happy. If some non-Spyro pleb other character got in, I'd be fine with that too. No matter who it is, I'd still buy the DLC, try out that character, and either use him/her/it if I like the character's playstyle, or ignore him/her/it and only use the character as a punching bag to the learn the matchup.
This is realatively so much the same for me.....

1: Paper Mario
2: Everything else.

Which is why I took the time to type a long vote :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom