• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Top 5 Nintendo DLC choices:
1: Princess Daisy
2: King K. Rool
3: Fiora
4: Medusa
5: Cia/Lana

Top 5 Third Party Choices:
1: Rayman
2: Snake
3: Shantae
4: Banjo Kazooie
5. Black Mage

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again the third-party don't have to be of the same calibur as the four we have. Sakurai isn't concerned about the third-party franchise's future either. Considering the fact the ballot is open to any videogame character, I think Sakurai is willing and open to go for third-parties that aren't as iconic or remembered, but made an impact in some form and level.
I think you're looking too deeply into the bolded. Just because any video game characters suggestions can be made doesn't mean that they'll all be taken seriously. He's not going to significantly lower his standard just to get third-party characters which is basically what he would have to do to get well... 99.99% of all third-party characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I honestly do not care who gets added to sm4sh I just want my old main ICs back, they are one of the top 10 requested characters, no way Sakurai is gonna ignore them :4kirby:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The Icies aren't coming back unless Sakurai finds a way to make them work for everyone; so it's still almost impossible at this point because more people have the original 3DS/2DS over the New 3DS.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think you're looking too deeply into the bolded. Just because any video game characters suggestions can be made doesn't mean that they'll all be taken seriously. He's not going to significantly lower his standard just to get third-party characters which is basically what he would have to do to get well... 99.99% of all third-party characters.
I'm aware of that, and know not all will be given a look, I've stated it before:
The only characters that probably going to get excluded or not taken seriously from the ballot are the ones that aren't videogame characters, obscure and unpopular third-party characters, minor Nintendo characters like Gangrel or the Piantas, and videogame characters that have not been on a Nintendo console.
Every other character is fair game.

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Top 5 DLC choices:
1. Wolf
2. Isaac
3. King K. Rool
4. No Daisy!
5. No other Veteran!

Top 5 Third Party choices:
1. I
2. Do
3. Not
4. Care
5. !

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Top 5 DLC choices:
1. K. Rool
2. Wolf
3. Dixie
4. Isaac
5. Rayman

HM: King Boo, Groose, King Hippo

Non-Snake/Rayman third parties don't merit our attention.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
There are some third-parties that are certainly worth taking a look at as long as people take off the popular character bias in their heads. Again with the ballot, anyone (that doesn't break the guidelines I mentioned earlier) is a possibility now, we can't dismiss it so easily.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here's my top five:

1. Wolf Link & Midna
2. Wolf Link & Midna
3. Wolf Link & Midna
4. Wolf Link & Midna
5. Wolf Link & Midna

*cough* :)

If none of my top five get in though, I also strongly support Captain Toad and Inkling.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai said:
But I think I can say generally that there won't be a trend of adding a lot of third-party characters. You can sort of think of Mega Man as being the special case.
Sakurai said:
First off, I think about which third-party characters would make suitable guests for the game before beginning any negotiations. It goes without saying that Mega Man is a guest who could fit Smash Bros. with his range of moves and attacks, but PAC-MAN as a guest fighter needed some careful consideration.
If the single biggest icon in gaming needed "careful consideration," what does that say about a one-off character who no one cares about outside of the West whose votes are split between a million other indie characters just like him?

If "people" had "popular character" bias, they would be deeming the likes of Shovel Knight and Banjo shoo-ins. This is why the ballot is a suggestion box, not a poll...so they wouldn't be committed to such abstract suggestions if they were to somehow win.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
There are some third-parties that are certainly worth taking a look at as long as people take off the popular character bias in their heads. Again with the ballot, anyone (that doesn't break the guidelines I mentioned earlier) is a possibility now, we can't dismiss it so easily.
Point is it was so before the ballot too.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There really aren't 5 third party choices that I feel should warrant our attention.

Anyway, why not? We're doing top 5 lists?

Top 5 Nintendo DLC (No Veteran characters)
Isaac
K. Rool
Dixie
Inkling
Captain Toad

Top 5 Third Party DLC
Snake
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Rayman
Slime

I support all vets but only feel like Wolf NEEDS to get in. I would love Roy or trainers remaining Pokemon, though.

Also, Shatnae > other indies although I don't think any have a real shot. Also, Classic Ganon is the best remaining Zelda rep.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The popular character bias is sensible. Firstly because the game creator explicitly said so, and secondly because DLC is much more of a popularity contest than the main game. You can afford to throw in niche characters into the main game because you know people will still buy it regardless of their inclusion. *insert unpopular niche SSB4 character* didn't stop people buying the game when they knew it had heavy hitters like Mega Man and Pac Man in it.

With DLC, the money is being shelled out on the contents of the DLC alone. Any character really needs to be popular to be worthwhile standalone DLC. A 3rd party character needs to be more popular because Nintendo will most likely be paying some kind of dividend to the respective 3rd party characters.

I'm not getting into whether any of the 3rd party characters are sufficiently popular to be financially viable - no one here knows what deals Nintendo makes and there's no way of making an informed decision from that. But I would definitely assume that when you have two characters, one 1st and one 3rd party, who are equally popular, equally viable for the game, and roughly the same amount of work to make, that it makes very little sense to choose the 3rd party character who is more hassle to get rights for and who will earn you less money. I do not expect much more than 2 or 3 DLC newcomers, and I expect that there will be sufficiently many popular Nintendo characters up there for the DLC to be chosen from.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm really hoping to see some DLC costumes for characters. I would really enjoy seeing something like a Ms. Pac-Man costume for Pac-Man or a Dry Bowser costume for Bowser. I don't really support them as separate characters, but I'd love to see them as costumes.

Anyway, my top five DLC Wishlist:
  1. Paper Mario
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Squirtle
  4. Ivysaur
  5. Dixie Kong
Not particularly likely in my eyes, but I feel Dixie or K. Rool have the best shot.

Wishlist excluding ridley

1. Viridi
2. Wonder red
3. Dixie jokg
-large gap-
4. Captain or regular toad
5. Reworked pokemon trainer. Or at least ivysaur

3rd party
1. Viewtiful joe
2. Rayman
3 banjo
4 snake
5 uhhhh i guess crash bandicoot

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
To be more clear, anyone who isn't a popularly requested but worth looking into is hardly given a chance, and people should more open to some ideas. There may be some dumb suggestions that make very little sense out there, but there are some out there that actually would be good additions and have enough qualifications to get in and would make people buy the DLC specifically for that character.

Let's be honest, you guys don't pay attention to any other character unless Sakurai or someone like Artsy Omni makes them popular. Now all of a sudden, Rayman merits attention now since he has gained popularity since the leak. It's not a mindset I would stick too.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Top 5:
1. Banjo
2. Isaac
3. Inkling
4. Shantae
5. Krystal

Would've split it into two lists if I had enough to fill either, but this is all I want.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be more clear, anyone who isn't a popularly requested but worth looking into is hardly given a chance, and people should more open to some ideas. There may be some dumb suggestions that make very little sense out there, but there are some out there that actually would be good additions and have enough qualifications to get in and would make people buy the DLC specifically for that character.

Let's be honest, you guys don't pay attention to any other character unless Sakurai or someone like Artsy Omni makes them popular. Suddenly, Rayman merits attention now since he has gained popularity since the leak.
Even Rayman has more going for him in video gaming legacy terms than Shovel Knight or an indie character. That's apples and oranges.

Snake and Rayman are far bigger names in video games than any indie character. It's much less of a stretch to add these two after adding the three we have than a character more people would say, "Huh? Who's that?" to. 3rd parties should get gamers (and casual gamers) excited. Snake did that for Brawl (and would surely do it again) and Rayman would likely garner similar attention. Shovel Knight? Really?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Top 5 DLC choices:
1. K. Rool
2. Wolf
3. Dixie
4. Isaac
5. Rayman

HM: King Boo, Groose, Brash the Bear, King Hippo

Non-Snake/Rayman third parties don't merit our attention.
Fixed that for you. Your HM was a bit empty without that Rarebare in the list.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Even Rayman has more going for him in video gaming legacy terms than Shovel Knight or an indie character. That's apples and oranges.

Snake and Rayman are far bigger names in video games than any indie character. It's much less of a stretch to add these two after adding the three we have than a character more people would say, "Huh? Who's that?" to. 3rd parties should get gamers (and casual gamers) excited. Snake did that for Brawl (and would surely do it again) and Rayman would likely garner similar attention. Shovel Knight? Really?
You nailed it.

3rd parties have to be big names and where people can say "This character will be co-starring in one of the most successful crossover series" with excitement.

Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man all being in Smash 4 was a huge mark on gaming history.

The only characters they can put and make people go "Who?" are those by Nintendo, because this is about Nintendo's franchises first and foremost, ranging from the popular ones like Mario and Pokémon to the niche ones like Fire Emblem or EarthBound, from old ones like Game & Watch and Duck Hunt to newer ones like Wii Fit or Xenoblade.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not bothering with third-parties, there aren't any I really want (there are some I wouldn't mind seeing, but none with realistic chances and honestly I don't necessarily feel like they should be in Smash).

Top 5 (Nintendo) DLC Characters:
King K. Rool
Isaac
Lip
Dixie Kong
Sami

Don't care about Inklings. Expect them in next Smash, but not as DLC for this one.

K. Rool is obvious, main DKC baddy, hilarious mannerisms and personality, excellent potential.

Isaac I will agree doesn't have much of a personality. But he's the main character you think of from the Golden Sun franchise; the original main protagonist. He's got all the moveset potential in the world, far more than any other character, and Golden Sun is such an amazing franchise it simply deserves to get in.

Lip because I love Panel de Pon. I know she's unrealistic and obscure but I don't care, I love Panel de Pon and want it to get more attention.

Dixie Kong is also obvious.

Sami because Advance Wars. I think Sami is a lot more interesting than Andy and she's just as important as he is (granted, so is Max), and I simply think Sami is a much better character.

EDIT:
The only third-party I'd like to see get in is Bomberman. The only third-party I can see getting in is... well, that's really hard. I think Snake is unrealistic at this point, and since Ubisoft is also asking people to vote for Rayman, I'd say that Nintendo probably denied Rayman getting into Smash as well (this has been a rumor popping up), so a second denial is just as likely as the first for both Rayman and Snake.

Maybe Professor Layton I guess. He's not a big well-known name, but the franchise has been Nintendo exclusive for a LONG time.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Top 5:
1. Chorus Men
2. Bandana Dee
3. Dark Samus
4. Paper Mario
5. Captain Toad

Honorable Mention: Isaac

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Top 5 for both.

1. Simon Belmont
2. Wolf
3. Snake
4. K Rool (need more fat guys)
5. Dixie

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
If the single biggest icon in gaming needed "careful consideration," what does that say about a one-off character who no one cares about outside of the West whose votes are split between a million other indie characters just like him?
Because Pacman's iconic design is an 8-bit mouth, Sakurai is talking about making a proper moveset for Pacman, you are misinterpreting that quote :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Top 5:
~ Wolf
~ Isaac
~ K. Rool
~ Dixie Kong
~ Bandana Dee

Honourable Mentions to Lip, Captain Toad, Roy, Paper Mario and Ivysaur.

:231:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Pretty much every character will get a "Who?" reaction from someone, and eventually everyone would warm up to their inclusion. Shovel Knight would gain as much attention as Rayman and Snake, a relatively large amount of attention from newer and casual gamers due to his recent popularity with his franchise and the high amount of requests he's getting in the ballot.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Pretty much every character will get a "Who?" reaction from someone, and eventually everyone would warm up to their inclusion. Shovel Knight would gain as much attention as Rayman and Snake, a relatively large amount of attention from newer and casual gamers due to his recent popularity with his franchise and the high amount of requests he's getting in the ballot.
Goku's also getting a lot of votes in the ballot, and he's not going to be in it. Votes =/= Elligibility. Plus, we don't know if Shovel Knight will just be a one-off fad title or if it actually will become a big franchise. DLC should be of characters we know will sell well before indie characters.

So basically, here's the list of potential DLC fighters for a Smash game (both veteran and newcomer);
  • King K.Rool
  • Wolf
  • Squirtle
  • Ivysaur
  • Solid Snake
  • Issac
  • Pichu
  • Roy (the swordsman, not the Koopaling)
  • Ridley
  • Inkling
  • Rayman
  • Ice Climbers (if they don't rejoin the default roster)
Series that aren't going to last shouldn't be in Smash, because this is a collection of all-star characters*. Promoting is fine; gotta get stuff off the ground to see if it'll last or not. But putting third-party characters that may end up being horrifically obscure sooner rather than later is just taking time that could be used for other, more iconic fighters.

*Veteran one-offs like Ice Climbers and R.O.B are exempt from this because they are either series staples or are important to Nintendo's history.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Let's be honest, you guys don't pay attention to any other character unless Sakurai or someone like Artsy Omni makes them popular.
I see where you're coming from with certain characters (Chorus Kids being my example) but lets be real - this is nowhere near true. From my experience King K Rool and Isaac are amongst the two most popular and most requested here, and to the best of my knowledge neither Sakurai nor Omni have had anything to do with it. Ridley is a similar case, just with a bit less support lately due to being in the game.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
The first-party character I want the most is Takamaru. And, no, nobody ever said you can't vote for characters who are in the game in some form. If the first announced characters were Isaac and Andy instead of Mewtwo and Lucas, everybody would be like "u cant vot for lucas n mew2 cuz dey r trophyz."

The third-party character I and want the most is Banjo. And I highly doubt that Rayman would get that much attention if he wasn't a trophy in the game. He's not on the same level as PAC-MAN, MegaMan and Sonic. Heck, he's not on the same level as Bomberman.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The first-party character I want the most is Takamaru. And, no, nobody ever said you can't vote for characters who are in the game in some form. If the first announced characters were Isaac and Andy instead of Mewtwo and Lucas, everybody would be like "u cant vot for lucas n mew2 cuz dey r trophyz."

The third-party character I and want the most is Banjo. And I highly doubt that Rayman would get that much attention if he wasn't a trophy in the game. He's not on the same level as PAC-MAN, MegaMan and Sonic. Heck, he's not on the same level as Bomberman.
The Japanese poll says if a character who's not able to be DLC gets enough votes they'll be taken in consideration next time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom