• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I think I recall I said most likely list, but I think the only thing I did was a sort of a joke saying the number 2 is everything else.....

That's actually not as simple, but here's what would be my true list:

1: Paper Mario....yeah ok we get it.

2: KKR (it used to be Ridley, but time have chnaged as I just am fine with the hazard honestly).

3: Actual pokemon trainer (ok, this is an idea that I got a very long time ago, but basically, take the trainer part of the pokemon trainer. I just think there's a bit of an unreped stuff there that the ssbb one just didn't do and for weird reasons, I would just love the idea. I actually even suggested that as a sort of an hazard which made me realise any form is just awesome).

4: Isaac (ok here the gap is huge because I actually own golden sun, but have yet to play it. The real reason he's there is because I felt he would be a
addition from what I got on its support thread. Although, from the third one, it's me being neutral, it's just that honestly, I'm neutral on everyone except Paper Mario and extreme cases when the character should just not be in the game)

5: inklings (here, I can understand why people would think they'll feel weird, but honestly, I feel it's a good addition if effort is put into....but such effort should be kinda worth it. I however think they're just very unlikely).

But if you really wanted the tl;dr:

1: Paper Mario
2: everything else

I won't freak out if it's not Paper Mario, but if it was on that list, let's say I will at least care a bit.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I won't deny that Shovel Knight is a popular indie character, but the thing is even with that in mind, he's not that strong a third party character. As @Scoliosis Jones said, a Third Party character has to iconic enough to really bring in people into the game, and Shovel Knight is not quite there yet. He's still a growing franchise (barely at that with only one game), hasn't been released at all in Japan, and doesn't carry the same clout as characters like Sonic, Pac-Man, or Mega Man did. He's not a character that I feel is strong enough yet to be the choice for a Third Party as DLC, especially considering that options like Snake (who still can return) exist that do carry the traits that Sakurai looks for.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Originally I thought Shovel Knight might have a shot but really, not being released in Japan is a MAJOR nail in the coffin.

Sakurai may have been listening more to the west when he added Little Mac but I really really really don't think he'd even consider adding a character that Japan wouldn't even recognize.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah I don't see Shovel Knight happening. The complete lack of a Japanese presence is going to kill his chances. Not that they were really great beforehand, popular as he might be.

If we get any indie, and I don't think we will, but if we do, I'd guess it'd be Shantae. Yeah Quote is a Japanese character and probably has more Japanese popularity because of it, but he's still only had one game even if it was ported a few times. Shantae is having her fourth game on Nintendo systems, three of which were exclusive, she's had a history with Nintendo that dates back to the GBC, WayForward has always closely supported Nintendo, she has a Japanese presence even if it's small, and she's the second most popular indie request, and one of the more popular requests in general.

If we were to limit who the most "deserving" character is to only indies, it'd be Shantae.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I don't really see any indie characters making the roster anytime soon.

That's just me.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wonder if there's anything Nintendo would really gain from an "indie" rep.
If Shantae were to actually get in for example, she would basically be the "poster child" for indies working for Nintendo. She would be held in a higher regard than other indie characters...and I don't know if Nintendo would want that in regards to indies.
Then again, they did include Commander Video as a trophy.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Cave Story is one of the most critically praised indie games of all time though, it pretty much revolutionized the potential of indie games. I think that would be enough to trump over the fact that he has only one title.

RobinOnDrugs

Do you, by chance, have something else to talk about? :p
I just don't see many indies making it into Smash for the same reason as Shovel Knight; They may not be very big in Japan. Really the only character in this group likely to appear is Shantae, as she's appeared in a few games prior to her "indie" status.

As for something else to talk about:

How long do you all think Nintendo will continue to support Sm4sh through DLC? I can see them releasing DLC all the way until the end of next year or until early 2017.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My assumption is approximately a year from now we'll be seeing our final DLC character. But who knows? Maybe they'll spread it out longer.

You know, on the off chance Banjo-Kazooie does become DLC...Solid Snake actually has absolutely no excuse to not be in the game.
Personally I'd argue that Banjo and Kazooie deserve it more since they were in two very popular Nintendo 64 titles and are more Nintendo associated than MS (they've only got one game with MS). Naturally, though, they're now owned by a non-Nintendo first-party developer, and the odds are incredibly slim it'll happen. Not to mention the fact that the licensing will be atrocious.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Here's another question I based on a thread on /r/smashbros.

Who here is going to stay up/wake up around Mewtwo's speculated release time (provided that you registered both versions of course)? Assuming the codes start coming out at midnight, I definitely won't be able to stay up since I'm going to be busy tomorrow.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just don't see many indies making it into Smash for the same reason as Shovel Knight; They may not be very big in Japan. Really the only character in this group likely to appear is Shantae, as she's appeared in a few games prior to her "indie" status.

As for something else to talk about:

How long do you all think Nintendo will continue to support Sm4sh through DLC? I can see them releasing DLC all the way until the end of next year or until early 2017.
I actually speculated of them doing a long term support with dlc....and I was right!

Because now, I TRULY think they'll go that way. Which is
because it means it gives more time for stuff like IS doing a Paper Mario game :)

And it also gives time to other series. idk, if we get a mind blown at E3, at least there will be time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Cave Story is one of the most critically praised indie games of all time though, it pretty much revolutionized the potential of indie games. I think that would be enough to trump over the fact that he has only one title.
It's a cult favourite to be sure, but if Shantae is more popular, which she is, then having that cult status isn't going to account for much. Shantae is a cult favourite too, but she's also shown up time and time again, mostly on Nintendo. I imagine that'd be a bigger incentive for Nintendo to include her, the most that's likely to come out of Cave Story is yet another port, and with that kind of thing there's definitely a feeling of diminishing return.

Even if i didnt have school i wouldnt bother staying up to wait. Codes will probably sent out late anyway

Also im with most of you. I dont see an indie happening but shantae is probably the best choice

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just a little something to put things into perspective for some of you.

Sales for Top Selling Nintendo Franchises
Mario Bros: 509,000,000
Pokemon: 270,000,000
Wii Series (Fit, Sports, etc.): 200,000,000
Legend of Zelda: 74,000,000
Donkey Kong: 57,000,000

Sales for Third Parties in Smash
Sonic the Hedgehog: 150,000,000
Pacman: 43,000,0000
Metal Gear Solid: 40,000,000
Mega Man: 30,000,000

Sales for Third Party Hopefuls
Final Fantasy: 110,000,000
Dragon's Quest: 64,000,000
Crash Bandicoot: 50,000,000
Rayman: 25,000,000
Castlevania: 20,000,000
Bomberman: 15,000,000

Sales for Shovel Knight

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I guess you have a point there N3ON. :S

@ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D
It wouldn't mean Shovel Knight is completely out of the running though. He's still a decent choice to use as DLC even if he's not at the calibur other third-parties are currently at.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ugh, why are Shovel Knight and Bayonetta so high?
They're apparently quite palatable as far as flavours of the month go.

I guess you have a point there N3ON. :S
Maybe I do, maybe I don't, at the end of the day I'd be fairly surprised getting any indies. And I'd prefer Shantae, but Shovel Knight and Quote are pretty alright characters as well.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
They're apparently quite palatable as far as flavours of the month go.

Maybe I do, maybe I don't, at the end of the day I'd be fairly surprised getting any indies. And I'd prefer Shantae, but Shovel Knight and Quote are pretty alright characters as well.
what I'm really wondering is why captain toad so low?

I recall that he would be way higher usually....

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Just a little something to put things into perspective for some of you.

Sales for Shovel Knight
Just to add onto this...hope you don't mind. ;)

Metroid: 17,440,000

Sales for Shovel Knight

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Even on the version that was riddled with botted votes, he wasn't one of the characters subject to tampered inflation.

That's just where he stands with the people who voted on that poll.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, I'm so confused if this is trustable.

There;s part that feels realistic...some really doesn't.

Why wolf is so low? why bk is so high? why captain toad feels too low? why dixie is so low?

I mean, I personally am so unsure. I'm telling you that it's the first time I see Paper Mario at 7th....

I mean, do you trust this?

Just to add onto this...hope you don't mind. ;)
I dont evem have to read this post to guess you added metroid.

. . . .eeyup

Reddit randomly hates certain things. Them being of a less casual audience makes me think a dislike for toad, captain or otherwise, would not get a lot of votes when he is a casual character.
That and the reddit is dumb.

"Do you trust this?" not 100% but yeah it looks like what they would say.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
You know, on the off chance Banjo-Kazooie does become DLC...Solid Snake actually has absolutely no excuse to not be in the game.
Banjo Kazooie are Nintendo characters that have been held hostage by microsoft, Snake was a PS1 icon that oddly got in Brawl. BK is a more worthy candidate. Although now that Snake has been playable I think he should 100% return, I also think he has a better chance of getting in smash 4 than BK.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I dont evem have to read this post to guess you added metroid.

. . . .eeyup

Reddit randomly hates certain things. Them being of a less casual audience makes me think a dislike for toad, captain or otherwise, would not get a lot of votes when he is a casual character.
That and the reddit is dumb.

"Do you trust this?" not 100% but yeah it looks like what they would say.
well, there;s honestly choices that makes me think it's not much dumb...but some are indeed at very unusual positions.

yeah, I'm not ready to use this as evidence, but it does mean one thing....

I should SERIOUSLY consider supporting Paper Mario on reddit....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom