• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Goku's also getting a lot of votes in the ballot, and he's not going to be in it. Votes =/= Elligibility. Plus, we don't know if Shovel Knight will just be a one-off fad title or if it actually will become a big franchise. DLC should be of characters we know will sell well before indie characters.
Goku isn't a video game character, so he's obviously not eligible for the ballot. Shovel Knight is eligible, and right now he's doing pretty successful so far, he's currently getting a large free DLC pack coming with the positive reception Shovel Knight has gotten as a title.

I see where you're coming from with certain characters (Chorus Kids being my example) but lets be real - this is nowhere near true. From my experience King K Rool and Isaac are amongst the two most popular and most requested here, and to the best of my knowledge neither Sakurai nor Omni have had anything to do with it. Ridley is a similar case, just with a bit less support lately due to being in the game.
I'm referring to the unpopular characters (The ones that don't get as much attention), not the popular characters.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
You know, I'm not normally one for posts like this, but my ire's always been raised a little when people suggest other Metroid characters get in as fighters before Ridley does (looking at you, Anthony >_>).

The thing about Ridley is that he's just about the only Metroid character that matters, at this point. I mean, let's look at Ridley's contributions to the franchise and his other qualities;
  • The main antagonist of the franchise (since he's appeared in more games than Mother Brain has)
  • Samus' arch-nemesis and the one character with deep personal ties to her (you know, parent murdering and all. :p)
  • A highly-popular main character within his home franchise
  • A very well-known Nintendo villain, right up with K.Rool, Ganondorf and Bowser.
  • He's really just about the only "all-star" left oustide of K.Rool who hasn't been playable in any Smash game (and these are supposed to be "star-studded slam fests" that bring together Nintendo's biggest characters), despite appearing in all of them in some form.
  • He is one of the most developed characters in the series besides Samus herself and Mother Brain.
  • He's a goddamn space dragon cyborg zombie terrorist pirate. What part of that wouldn't be amazing to play as? :p
  • He's also the smallest of the main antagonists of Samus' franchise (only twice Samus' height at most).
And let's look at the things that would potentially hold him back;
  • He's pretty wide with his wings spread (which could be fixed by, well, tucking his wings in when they're not actually in use)
  • He's already been an established NPC in Smash (which also didn't stop Little Mac from going that leap, so...yeah).
  • He would look out of place (which is easily remedied by, well, making him the largest fighter in the game. :p)
  • He would require a decent amount of work to ensure accuracy due to his pretty complex design and violent behaviour.
  • Sakurai seems to have a hard time making a playable Ridley that is satisfactory to him. This is, admittedly, the biggest roadblock in his path.
Meanwhile, Dark Samus is only in two games of the franchise, and Anthony, as well as Sylux and the other Hunters have been in only one. Ridley is really the only constant character of the franchise that has a chance of being playable (Mother Brain is already an Assist Trophy and Kraid is, unlike Ridley, well-known for being titanic in comparison to Samus). Ridley is really the most notable canidate for a new Metroid character.

Basically, if we don't get Ridley as our first new Metroid character, we really shouldn't get one at all. I'd rather an all-star over one-shot rookies in hockey, and the same applies for Smash fighters, especially for franchises that really need more exposure on the roster than they have.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Goku isn't a video game character, so he's obviously not eligible for the ballot. Shovel Knight is eligible, and right now he's doing pretty successful so far, he's currently getting a large free DLC pack coming with the positive reception Shovel Knight has gotten as a title.
- Western indie developer
- No Japanese release
- Nintendo is ridiculously ethnocentric

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Doing Top Characters?... Well, it's the perfect way to me sneak in the conversation. =P

1 - King K. Rool

2 - Krystal*
3 - Rayman*
4 - Wonder Red*
5 - Inkling*

*- These characters are whose I sympathize by their campaigns.. .. or maybe by one of the aspects that they can bring with them, being representation from newer games, old games, being a representative from a specific franchise... being female, gimmick, etc... I'm not really fan of the characters themselves. (even though I love Rayman to death! XD).

and I REALLY dream about Banjo & Kazooie duo.. but honestly don't see that happening;

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
At least Goku has a Japanese release. Shovel Knight getting in would alienate half of the Smash fanbase.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
At least Goku has a Japanese release.
As long as the video game character rule exists, Shovel Knight is pretty has a slightly bigger shot than Goku himself.

Shovel Knight getting in would alienate half of the Smash fanbase.
It would alienate the fan base for a while, then everyone will eventually warm up to the inclusion.
:4drmario::4darkpit::4mii::4pacman:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As long as the video game character rule exists, Shovel Knight is pretty has a slightly bigger shot than Goku himself.

It would alienate the fan base for a while, then everyone will eventually warm up to the inclusion.
:4drmario::4darkpit::4mii::4pacman:
How do those 4 alienate people?

Pac-Man is internationally recognized, as are the Mii's. Pac Man finishes the epic 3rd party trio, and Miis are the customizable character that allows you to add basically anybody.

Not really sure what your point on the Doc and Dark Pit are. They're a bonus. Either they're clones, or not in at all. It's not like they got in over anybody else.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How do those 4 alienate people?

Pac-Man is internationally recognized, as are the Mii's. Pac Man finishes the epic 3rd party trio, and Miis are the customizable character that allows you to add basically anybody.
Pretty much.

Pac-Man and Miis are very recognizable and iconic at this point.

Not really sure what your point on the Doc and Dark Pit are. They're a bonus. Either they're clones, or not in at all. It's not like they got in over anybody else.
Considering the sheer irrational hate for clones, I'd guess people do feel "alienated"...

So, he kinda has a point in that regard.

At least Goku has a Japanese release. Shovel Knight getting in would alienate half of the Smash fanbase.
I admit I would like to see how would the Japanese react to Shovel Knight if he was included. :chuckle:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Those are characters who have been disliked by the majority of the Smash fan base before they were revealed as characters pre-Smash 4 speculation, when their reveal came, people will throwing dissy comments on them for a while and eventually warmed up to their inclusion. The situation would probably be very similar with Shovel Knight if he was added, everyone will go mad about him, then will warm up to his inclusion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Those are characters who have been disliked by the majority of the Smash fan base before they were revealed as characters pre-Smash 4 speculation, when their reveal came, people will throwing dissy comments on them for a while and eventually warmed up to their inclusion. The situation would probably be very similar with Shovel Knight if he was added, everyone will go mad about him, then will warm up to his inclusion.
That's not what I meant by "alienating half of the Smash fanbase".
I meant that there is no way for Japanese players to even know who Shovel Knight because he has no game in that region..on top of being a one-game indie character.
Even Goku, who I am not trying to defend by the way, has more merit in that regard, being in tons of games released worldwide and being recognized all over the world.

That's how insignificant Shovel Knight is.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I will warm up to any character eventually!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So we're doing top 10? Okay...

- WOLF
- ROY
- Ice Climbers
- Dixie
- K Rool
- Isaac
- Ray MK
- Inkling
- Banjo
- Crash Bandicoot

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
There is an interesting third party party character who I would really love to see in smash 4 as DLC. He wouldn't make any sense but if you know who he is you're awesome. The third party character is Pax from Mushroom Men:The Spore Wars.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I should point out that of all of the indie characters being thrown around here, Shantae is the only one that originated on a Nintendo console, and has gone on to have multiple games on Nintendo hardware. She might not be available in Japan, but she still has a fanbase there, to the point that Pokémon's art director tweeted him playing Risky's Revenge.

Thrown in Shantae's uniqueness compared to the rest of the smash cast, and if Sakurai ever consider putting in a indie charater, chances are Shantae will stand out to him like a sore thumb.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Top 5 DLC choices:
1. K. Rool
2. Wolf
3. Dixie
4. Isaac
5. Rayman

HM: King Boo, Groose, King Hippo

Non-Snake/Rayman third parties don't merit our attention.
Ok seriously people Bomberman is a very iconic character who has appeared on multiple consoles. He fits the high standards for third party characters.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Top 10:
1.Medusa
2.King K Rool
3.Bayonetta
4.Impa
5.Ice Climbers
6. Wolf
7. Rayman
8.Inkling
9.Dixie Kong
10.Vince

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Top 10 time

1. Claus
2. Hades
3. Mona
4. K.Rool
5. Rayman
6. Impa
7. Bomberman
8. Inkling
9. Shantae
10. Wolf

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Shovel Knight may not be as significant as the moneymaker that is Dragonball, but he certainly is more significant then the majority of Nintendo's obscure retro franchises combined. He'd probably sell well in the West and Europe, though probably not as much in Japan if he was added. (Though arguably any DLC character added will sell anyway regardless)

Troykv

Smash Master
Shovel Knight may not be as significant as the moneymaker that is Dragonball, but he certainly is more significant then the majority of Nintendo's obscure retro franchises combined. He'd probably sell well in the West and Europe, though probably not as much in Japan if he was added. (Though arguably any DLC character added will sell anyway regardless)
The character must be able to sell on their own and not just "because yes".

And since this is a Japanese game, if the character is from game/saga that has not arrived in Japan is automatically a NOPE.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
The character must be able to sell on their own and not just "because yes".

And since this is a Japanese game, if the character is from game/saga that has not arrived in Japan is automatically a NOPE.
As long as the character is well designed, fun to play, and looks appealing, I'd argue that any character would sell well on their own.

And unless Sakurai has said something on the matter, "Not having released in Japan" is an entirely made up rule.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
There is an interesting third party party character who I would really love to see in smash 4 as DLC. He wouldn't make any sense but if you know who he is you're awesome. The third party character is Pax from Mushroom Men:The Spore Wars.
I heard of that game, I meant to pick it up once but then completely forgot about it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Top 5 DLC choices? I thought we were doing the top 5 we thought were most likely.

If it's choices:
  1. Captain Toad. Obvious.
  2. Dixie Kong. Only female character I wanted this time. One of the few major ones who missed out.
  3. Impa. Preferably Hyrule Warriors version.
  4. Bandana Dee. Battle Butler Buddy/Promoted Generic Species in hats buddies.
  5. Inkling.
Honourable mentions: Isaac, Chibi-Robo and Wonder Red as characters I wouldn't mind seeing.

Top 5 3rd parties?
  1. Rayman
  2. Bomberman
  3. Banjo-Kazooie
and then it ends because...
  • I do like Bayonetta, but I'm not convinced she's right for Smash.
    Shovel Knight support seems kind of pointless since it's not even released in Japan.
  • Shantae could be fun, but she's not really even on the same level as the three I listed, let alone the perfect third party trifacta we actually got.
  • Snake...had Snake not got into Brawl I wouldn't even have considered him, but I'd still prefer Bomberman to him at the end of the day...
  • Geno meanwhile is such a crushing complete and utter nobody in the grand scheme of things for both Nintendo and Square, I just can't see him being added as the much anticipated third party character. Hell, unlike the other third party suggestions he's not even the main character of his own game.

these indie arguments are getting ridiculous at this point. Shovel knight's notoriety was just compared to rayman's and snake's.

Shovel knight wasnt released in Japan, isnt absurdley popular, and is multiplat
like what?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I just heard this mentioned but do you think they'll add dlc assist trophies for Nintendo characters who performed well in the ballot, but not well enough to become playable?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
By December 4, 2014, it had sold more than 300,000 copies across all platforms
According to Wikipedia.
It's decent amount of sales, enough to be qualifiable.
Shovel Knight has been appearing in tons of gaming websites since its release.
He's quickly becoming one of the most iconic indies ever now.

I just heard this mentioned but do you think they'll add dlc assist trophies for Nintendo characters who performed well in the ballot, but not well enough to become playable?
I think it's pretty likely to happen.

Last edited:
personally I would rather they didnt. I guess it would help for next game but since I dont play with items on seeing Wonder Red as an assist trophy would kill me :(
According to Wikipedia.
It's decent amount of sales, enough to be qualifiable.
Shovel Knight has been appearing in tons of gaming websites since its release.
He's quickly becoming one of the most iconic indies ever now.
that's barely more than W101 lol.

i dont see anyone beating commander video/quote/ a team meat character getting beat by him.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's a lot more than W101.

And Shovel Knight is almost definitely the most requested indie character. If you go look somewhere outside of Smashboards it becomes pretty evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom