• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Actually he was saying that Dedede is too small.

Since, y'know, he's canonically about a foot tall.
My point is, in the context of Kirby's gameplay, Dedede is only a bit taller than Kirby. And in Smash Bros, despite being 'sized up', Dedede is still a bit taller than Kirby.

Likewise, even though Olimar was scaled up, his world and enemies were scaled with him. Bulborbs still tower over him and the other fighters just as they would in the Pikmin series. What I'm trying to say here is that, in their games, Samus and Olimar are basically the normal sized playable characters, as they are in Smash. And in their games, Bulborbs and Ridley are much larger than they are, being bosses/giant enemies, and this also applies to Smash.

Last edited:
Hi we're talking Viridi it's my time.

KI isnt getting a newcomer for smash 4. everyone knows this. Im sure the backlash was felt with "KI bias" even in Japan. ( I have nothing to back this)

thus any and all KI chances are reliant on smash 5. Now if there is no Uprising 2 we arent getting a newcomer in the first place. at best a luigified dark Pit.

now IF (big if, sakurai doesnt want to do a sequel and I dont see anyone picking it up) there is an uprising 2 we know Viridi is coming back without a doubt. Hades maybe but it seems like Hades doesnt even have anything left to be revived. Personally I think it would be boring for him to be the big bad again but not up to me. Medusa would probably either have a minor role again or outright not show up being revived AGAIN would be a bit annoying. and that's thanatos's thing.

So it would come down to
1. magnus becoming important (I doubt this and would probably be the equivalent of chrom. very bland sword user)
2. Viridi :colorful:
3. whoever the big villain of the game is (would be a one-off unless it's like . . Orcos. possible but I think Viridi muight take it)
4. Thanatos (hamazing, recurring, weird. this is a joke btw)

also I feel like Viridi on reset bomb is more like in between duck hunt and toon link but I guess duck hunt falls under the 8 bit category that "DK" (cranky) does, meaning she would be the most involved playable character in a stage.

Medusa is barely seen in 1 and Uprising. she talks in 4 chapters total

Even @ A Distant Demon A Distant Demon , the owner of the Viridi thread and our resident nature buff,.
im taking this as a compliment :p
does this mean im the Diddy kong to Impa but Viridi yet?

Oh boy ridley talk.
inb4 that pic of ROB is linked

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My point is, in the context of Kirby's gameplay, Dedede is only a bit taller than Kirby. And in Smash Bros, despite being 'sized up', Dedede is still a bit taller than Kirby.

Likewise, even though Olimar was scaled up, his world and enemies were scaled with him. Bulborbs still tower over him and the other fighters just as they would in the Pikmin series. What I'm trying to say here is that, in their games, Samus and Olimar are basically the normal sized playable characters, as they are in Smash. And in their games, Bulborbs and Ridley are much larger than they are, being bosses/giant enemies, and this also applies to Smash.
Oh, I know, and I'm not disputing that.

I'm just pointing out Dastardly's original intention is all.

On that note, @ Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash , why isn't your name "Dastardley"? Surely that joke is shrieking at you to be made?

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Ridley's size isn't the main issue that's preventing his inclusion, it's more to do with his gangly proportions that make him look weird when shrunk. He has a tail that's longer than his body, huge wings and very thin arms and neck. Even some of the good Ridley mods I've seen have had a few issues with his tail and wings.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I just thought of another potential reason of why Ridley couldn't be in while you guys were talking about Ridley, it's something so obvious, yet I never thought about it before:

he already breaks the 4th rule of Sakurai's main criteria:
- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
- The character must be unique
- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
- They must contribute to the game balance.
Considering accurate character portrayal in addition, Ridley would have been a large pain to balance with match-ups and his stats. The amount of work Sakurai would have to do would be extensively, extensively large, it would potentially end up taking so much development time.

The thing here is that all third-party characters already in have had made a significant impact on gaming over several generations; same can't be said for the likes of Agnes, Quote, Shantae, and Shovel Knight. We have no idea if any of these franchises will even be relevant ten years from now let alone have any reasons to believe they will come close to the third-parties that already made it in. The only one in your list that could arguably be a good choice is Professor Layton but even then there's the issue of diminishing returns on third-parties (which would apply to everyone except Snake to be honest) and he needs to continue to be relevant if he is going to hope to get into a Smash game.
Again the third-party don't have to be of the same calibur as the four we have. Sakurai isn't concerned about the third-party franchise's future either. Considering the fact the ballot is open to any videogame character, I think Sakurai is willing and open to go for third-parties that aren't as iconic or remembered, but made an impact in some form and level.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Wii Fit Trainer deserves a spot more than a lot of other characters that are in the game. Like Game & Watch, ROB, and Duck Hunt, she is a hardware representative (balance board) that represents a very important chapter in Nintendo's history. She debuted in 2007 and had appeared in three games before Smash 4 launched, so you can't even say that she it too recent or has not been in enough games. The Wii Fit franchise sold 55 million units, making it a top 5 Smash series in terms of sales, and single handily started the video game fitness craze. Nintendo was it it's most profitable EVER when those games were at their peak, yet she is somehow not deserving of a spot? Why, because "real gamers" (whatever that means) don't like the franchise? Get out of here with your bias.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/07/bomberman-makes-return-multiplayer-title-smartphone/

Not entirely true. (Still sad, though.)
WHY KONAMI! WHY!?!?!?

Anyway, I hope I don't get hammed on for saying this but I really think Kid Icarus should not get a new rep. They have more characters then they do have games right now. And if I could choose one it wouldn't be Viridi. I don't know why but Viridi and Shantae..... I just hate them so much.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
does this mean im the Diddy kong to Impa but Viridi yet?
Yes.

You're that by virtue of being the only Viridi supporter I know. :3

Anyway, I hope I don't get hammed on for saying this but I really think Kid Icarus should not get a new rep. They have more characters then they do have games right now. And if I cold choose one it wouldn't be Viridi. I don't know why but Viridi and Shantae..... I just hate them so much.
They have exactly as many characters.

That's if you count Dark Pit as a distinct character rather than an ascended alt, of course.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
On that note, @ Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash , why isn't your name "Dastardley"? Surely that joke is shrieking at you to be made?
Because it's a combination of Dirk Dastardly (darn censors. :p), Snidley Whiplash and Ridley. It's also a pun since Ridley and Snidley end the same way. :p

Besides, it gave me an excuse to make an avatar with Ridley in a Snidley Whiplash getup. I couldn't not take that opportunity. :p

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Because it's a combination of **** Dastardly, Snidley Whiplash and Ridley. It's also a pun since Ridley and Snidley end the same way. :p

Besides, it gave me an excuse to make an avatar with Ridley in a Snidley Whiplash getup. I couldn't not take that opportunity. :p
But

Dastardley

With an E

Like Ridley

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well Dark Pit does have his own slot on the roster so I count him as another character.
Fine by me.

Still doesn't change the fact that the number of characters does not exceed the number of games.

That doesn't roll as well off the tongue, though. I wanted it to be easy to type, not overloaded with pun. ;p
Fair enough.

Whatever floats.

Last edited:
Yes.

You're that by virtue of being the only Viridi supporter I know. :3

there are 27 of us :(

Again the third-party don't have to be of the same calibur as the four we have. Sakurai isn't concerned about the third-party franchise's future either. Considering the fact the ballot is open to any videogame character, I think Sakurai is willing and open to go for third-parties that aren't as iconic or remembered, but made an impact in some form and level.
just beacuse they are taking ANY vote doesnt mean he will consider ANY character

it's been said before. This isnt a highest vote wins. it's a suggestion. He wont take the suggestion of Shovel knight.

Ok I just found out now that there was a gameboy Kid Icarus game. I can't believe I never knew that that game existed. I must have not been very popular.
dat formatting

of myths and monsters, to my knowledge, was never released in Japan until it was on the Virtual console. I want to say 2013 but that is a total guess lol

I dont think it was very popular in the US either. It did give us Orcos though. aka literally Satan

Wow i just realized I forgot to finish oMaM. I should do that.

EDIT ok this is in reply to the post above but you cant quote only a quote. TIL

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
dat formatting

of myths and monsters, to my knowledge, was never released in Japan until it was on the Virtual console. I want to say 2013 but that is a total guess lol

I dont think it was very popular in the US either. It did give us Orcos though. aka literally Satan

Wow i just realized I forgot to finish oMaM. I should do that.

EDIT ok this is in reply to the post above but you cant quote only a quote. TIL
I fixed it now

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

there are 27 of us :(
I know, but you're the Viridiest of the Viridi supporters. :3

just beacuse they are taking ANY vote doesnt mean he will consider ANY character.
Yyyyep.

it's been said before. This isnt a highest vote wins. it's a suggestion.
THANK YOU!

He wont take the suggestion of Shovel knight.

That gif suddenly applies now. ;w;

To be fair, does anybody but the hardcore really know about Myths and Monsters? :p
Yes, people do know about it. Very few people, but even non-KI fans are at least aware of its existence.

To be fair, it was never released in Japan at first, and doesn't have any of the regular characters except Pit and Palutena. Aside from borrowing thematic elements from Pit's design in this game for his Brawl / Uprising design, no mention of it or any of the events in it are made in Uprising.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
just beacuse they are taking ANY vote doesnt mean he will consider ANY character

it's been said before. This isnt a highest vote wins. it's a suggestion. He wont take the suggestion of Shovel knight.
The only characters that probably going to get excluded are the ones that aren't videogame characters, obscure third-party characters, and videogame characters that have not been on a Nintendo console. The others are pretty much fair game as long as their series is popular.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So I was thinking about how Ridley could work, and I came up with something to let him be both DLC and a stage boss.

Remember how Nintendo Land is a thing?

We could have Nintendo Land's Ridley replace normal Ridley in the Pyrosphere if Ridley is in play, much like how Alfonzo replaces Toon Link. Obviously it'd need some minor tweaks, but it's a good solution to the problem as long as the two have the same bones.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I was thinking about how Ridley could work, and I came up with something to let him be both DLC and a stage boss.

We could have Nintendo Land's Ridley replace normal Ridley in the Pyrosphere if Ridley is in play, much like how Alfonzo replaces Toon Link. Obviously it'd need some minor tweaks, but it's a good solution to the problem as long as the two have the same bones.
That would look very silly in the context of the stage.

Just have Meta-Ridley (canon? Nahhhh~) or a revived Mecha-Ridley take his place.

I know, but you're the Viridiest of the Viridi supporters. :3
< 3

doesn't have any of the regular characters except Pit and Palutena.
are you saying eggplant wizard isnt a top tier KI character?

this is mostly a joke but Im pretty sure before Uprising he was one of the more well known parts of the franchise

Aside from borrowing thematic elements from Pit's design in this game for his Brawl / Uprising design, no mention of it or any of the events in it are made in Uprising.
I havent actually gotten that far but Ive been told the silver armor, a sacred treasure that replaces the mirror shield (i think) is the design used for the three sacred treasure is Uprising. havent done the research personally. based on that image above im pretty sure they might be full of hot air.

The only characters that probably going to get excluded are the ones that aren't videogame characters, obscure third-party characters, and videogame characters that have not been on a Nintendo console. The others are pretty much fair game as long as their series is popular.
so popularity is all that matters? what was it that neon said. you dont take popularity into account :rolleyes:

so 3rd party characters can get in on the merit of popularity alone> sorry but that just doesnt sound right

that's a lot of straws to grasp there mate. While i will take any Ridley because I love metroid blast and toy ridley has my favorite ridley theme, it is plain illogical (and still quite large)

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
are you saying eggplant wizard isnt a top tier KI character?

this is mostly a joke but Im pretty sure before Uprising he was one of the more well known parts of the franchise

I havent actually gotten that far but Ive been told the silver armor, a sacred treasure that replaces the mirror shield (i think) is the design used for the three sacred treasure is Uprising. havent done the research personally. based on that image above im pretty sure they might be full of hot air.
Oh shoot yeah you're right.

Well, Sakurai did his homework, then. Good job, my friend~

The actual plot is never referenced, though.

It's like that weird office party nobody wants to bring up.

Popularity for the franchise, not the character requests.
nothing in my argument changes. you are saying that popularity is the only factor for 3rd parties essentially.

also looking at it. the design for the three sacred treasure barely changes between the first 2 if at all. Even if Uprising used the same design it probably would just be off the original. (the helmet is vastly different in Uprising though)

yeah oMaM is totally nonexistent unless there are enemies used in Uprising.

Thjis is why you do your research before you spout someone else's theory.
What characters do you think are the most likely to get in my top 5 guesses are:

1. Wolf
2. K.Rool
3.Inkling
4.Captain Toad
5.Bandanna Dee
1. Wolf
2. either dixie or K rool. leaning on Dixie
3. Captain Toad
4. Isaac
5. Inkling

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
What characters do you think are the most likely to get in my top 5 guesses are:

1. Wolf
2. K.Rool
3.Inkling
4.Captain Toad
5.Bandanna Dee
Not going to lie, if that was what we ended up getting I'd be thrilled. I'm one of the few that would prefer Dixie to K. Rool, but close enough.

However, I'm not an optimist for myself so I could see this happening;
  1. Wolf
  2. K. Rool
  3. Inkling
  4. Isaac
  5. Some third party character(most likely Rayman?)
Of course I'm basing this off of nothing but...

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
also looking at it. the design for the three sacred treasure barely changes between the first 2 if at all. Even if Uprising used the same design it probably would just be off the original. (the helmet is vastly different in Uprising though)

yeah oMaM is totally nonexistent unless there are enemies used in Uprising.
Pit's Brawl / Uprising design draws inspiration from Of Myths and Monsters Pit, at least.

That's something. :3

Not going to lie, if that was what we ended up getting I'd be thrilled. I'm one of the few that would prefer Dixie to K. Rool, but close enough.

1. Wolf
  2. K. Rool
  3. Inkling
  4. Isaac
Im surprised to see neither DK character on any list at this point

Pit's Brawl / Uprising design draws inspiration from Of Myths and Monsters Pit, at least.

That's something. :3
TIL. neat.
I dint know something about Kid Icarus I must be purged
WHOA WHOA WHOA
i think you're forgetting someone
I never noticed she has one different colored snake to be like a hair streak. neat

also see my post at the top of the page.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Realistically my top 5 would be the following:

1) Wolf - Very popular, can be more easily implemented thanks to Brawl. I expect to see him around E3.

2) King K Rool
3) Isaac

These two are the most popular realistic choices doing well in the ballot by any metric we have to measure that with.

4) Inkling - It would be great promotion and a good kickstart to the franchise. I wouldn't say I care for the character to be in but their game looks fun enough and it seems both fans and Nintendo seem eager to push it.

5) Dixie Kong

Potential alternative DK newcomer implemented due to ease. I hope this doesn't happen but I maintain a healthy dose of pessimism.

I don't expect any Mario newcomers, 3rd parties in any form, or Bandana Dee. I do expect the Dee to appear at some point in Smash, but not as a playable character.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

1. Wolf
  2. K. Rool
  3. Inkling
  4. Isaac
My top 5 wanted characters are in my signature and 3 of them are part of my prediction. Vaati is awesome but somewhat irrelevant nowadays. Bomberman would be so awesome but I think Rayman and Snake will get more votes.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
nothing in my argument changes. you are saying that popularity is the only factor for 3rd parties essentially.
It's not the only one, in addition to the popularity of the franchise, there's relevance, closeness to Nintendo, some sort of level of impact to videogames, moveset potential and how well they fit into Smash Bros. (Something Sakurai has stated to be the first step to picking third party characters.)

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I never noticed she has one different colored snake to be like a hair streak. neat

also see my post at the top of the page.
Medusa prioritizes over all those losers because sideboob

I just thought of another potential reason of why Ridley couldn't be in while you guys were talking about Ridley, it's something so obvious, yet I never thought about it before:

he already breaks the 4th rule of Sakurai's main criteria:
- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
- The character must be unique
- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
- They must contribute to the game balance.
Considering accurate character portrayal in addition, Ridley would have been a large pain to balance with match-ups and his stats. The amount of work Sakurai would have to do would be extensively, extensively large, it would potentially end up taking so much development time.

ok I JUST noticed you edited this post.

you do realize game balance doesnt work like that right?

you can just buff and nerf stats to one's liking until everything is fine. With Ridley's various incarnations showing off Agiility OR strength he could easily be more of a brawler or more of a speedy flighty fighter like meta knight easily.

"game balance" is 100% not the issue because that isnt how balance works. It's not like Sentinel wasnt nerfed regardless of his size.
Medusa prioritizes over all those losers because sideboob
are you implying that Viridi or Hades shopuld have a sideboob? I dont think anyone wants to see that

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
When you make talk about Ridley and People bring up Olimar they're all like "Oh, well he's NEVER compared to anyone else besides those in his own game so he's FINE to be scaled up"

But I'm like

????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom