• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Some 3rd parties do have a level of star power, it’s just not comparable to larger icons like Pac-Man and Sonic. At the least, the 3rd party franchise should be a decently popular one like Bravely Default and Shovel Knight to be qualifiable, as Sakurai is likely not going to aim for obscure third-parties like Toejam and Earl, Goemon, and Marina Lightyears.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
What are your standards?

And since when Wolf is an "All Star"?
If you don't think wolf is an all star to the star fox series idk what to tell you, there is no helping you.

Here's my standards, characters who are important to Nintendo and their series, history peices and popular characters (I'm not talking fads either).

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
If you don't think wolf is an all star to the star fox series idk what to tell you, there is no helping you.

Here's my standards, characters who are important to Nintendo and their series, history peices and popular characters.
Nah, I was only joking xDD

Now if seriously ... Do you think that a character that is in this Smash does not meet your standards (leaving aside and Lucina Dark Pit)?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I know there have been issues with Snake returning because his games have left Nintendo consoles. I think a character who meets the popularity standards that Konami does own is Bomberman. I know it might be more of a stretch than Snake but it could work. do you guys think he fits the standards? Leave a comment in the spaces down below XD.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Nah, I was only joking xDD

Now if seriously ... Do you think that a character that is in this Smash does not meet your standards (leaving aside and Lucina Dark Pit)?
Rosalina, pichu, ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucina, dark pit, Roy, doc, ice climbers, jiggily puff, Greninja, Wii fit trainer, zero suit Samus, Lucas, toon link, snake and shulk (he got in too early).

(FYI I don't want these unique characters to be cut since they already have fans now but I would have never put them in the first place.)

Villager also is annoying since he's an avatar and not really a character (shoulda been Tom) but Ac deserved a rep so I guess its ok, and I guess he/she is technically the protagonist.

I also think robin was lame add on but I suppose Awakening saving the FE series from extinction was enough reason for him to be important to FE.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know there have been issues with Snake returning because his games have left Nintendo consoles. I think a character who meets the popularity standards that Konami does own is Bomberman. I know it might be more of a stretch than Snake but it could work. do you guys think he fits the standards? Leave a comment in the spaces down below XD.
I think if Snake had never been in Smash almost everyone would agree that Bomberman is the better choice, but as it stands now Snake is going to largely monopolize all the votes for Konami characters.

And to be fair to him, that one 3ds game he had still supported Nintendo about as frequently as the series does anyway, though if Konami burned Nintendo on a port of a bigger, console MGS game, I can understand why they might not be too open to him showing up again.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I think if Snake had never been in Smash almost everyone would agree that Bomberman is the better choice, but as it stands now Snake is going to largely monopolize all the votes for Konami characters.

And to be fair to him, that one 3ds game he had still supported Nintendo about as frequently as the series does anyway, though if Konami burned Nintendo on a port of a bigger, console MGS game, I can understand why they might not be too open to him showing up again.
Don't we have enough third party characters with "Man" in the second half of their name?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
All things equal, Bomberman > Snake. Snake's veteran status gives him priority, though, and Bomberman is more of a Hudsonsoft representative anyway. Snake (or Simon Belmont) make more sense to represent Konami itself.

Still -

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Rosalina, pichu, ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucina, dark pit, Roy, doc, ice climbers, jiggily puff, Greninja, Wii fit trainer, zero suit Samus, Lucas, toon link, snake and shulk (he got in too early).

(FYI I don't want these unique characters to be cut since they already have fans now but I would have never put them in the first place.)

Villager also is annoying since he's an avatar and not really a character (shoulda been Tom) but Ac deserved a rep.

I also think robin was lame add on but I suppose Awakening saving the FE series from extinction was enough reason for him to be important to FE.
I could dissect this, but I'll refrain, lest I unwittingly start a verbal debate.

So I'll just say that I respect your opinion, but I also think you're staggeringly biased.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I could dissect this, but I'll refrain, lest I unwittingly start a verbal debate.

So I'll just say that I respect your opinion, but I also think you're staggeringly biased.
Idk Ive thought about each character added and whether they have earned their spot in smash because im obsessive like that. I even admit Robin is justified even though I personally think he is lame. Its not like it matters though, characters who arent important enough make it into smash every single game.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Idk Ive thought about each character added and whether they have earned their spot in smash because im obsessive like that. I even admit Robin is justified even though I personally think he is lame. Its not like it matters though, characters who arent important enough make it into smash every single game.
See, that's not what I take issue with.

What makes me roll my eyes is when words like "earned", "justified", "important" and, heavens help us all, "deserve". They are opinions - mark you, OPINIONS - not infallible moral paradigms, yet they are all too often treated as sacred dogma.

Fortunately, I believe that sacred cows are meant to be slaughtered~ ;3

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
does the paper mario use the mario icon? could have sworn it did.

and captain toad is pretty firmly mario. same world same graphics appeared in mario games. (with the exception of TT)
it uses the same icons, but that just doesn't matter because own series or now, it's still is a subset of the mario series that he's reflecting.

That's like toon link, he's the toon subset of the zelda series.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
See, that's not what I take issue with.

What makes me roll my eyes is when words like "earned", "justified", "important" and, heavens help us all, "deserve". They are opinions - mark you, OPINIONS - not infallible moral paradigms, yet they are all too often treated as sacred dogma.

Fortunately, I believe that sacred cows are meant to be slaughtered~ ;3
I mean what I think isnt fact it just can be backed up by solid reasoning to explain why a character is super important to a series, important to represent history, or just a plain long lasting popular character.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean what I think isnt fact it just can be backed up by solid reasoning to back up why a character is super important to a series, important to represent history, or just a plain long lasting popular character.
But... Jigglypuff was a reoccurring character in the Anime. (This was back when the anime was relevant for character selection.)

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I mean what I think isnt fact it just can be backed up by solid reasoning to explain why a character is super important to a series, important to represent history, or just a plain long lasting popular character.
Right, of course.

Which I can and will happily counter with "solid reasoning" of its own.

Let's not get into this.

It doesn't solve anything, and it just serves to aggravate the other nice people in the thread, okay? :3

yani

Smash Lord
Oh man what is going on Smashboards!

I think Wolf is essentially a lock for DLC, and I think we'll definitely get a DK newcomer. I really hope Phil Spencer could work his magic and get Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. It would be great if they could work out a deal where the Banjo games could release on Virtual Console.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Thankfully, certain people here aren't in charge of picking characters for the Smash roster...

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Are you trying to offend some people?
Depends if you let yourself be offended by some stranger's words on an Internet forum... ;)

I like that Smash pulls out some unexpected or obscure characters. Otherwise, it would be boring and predictable.

Most crossover titles do this sort of stunt. It's a way of getting otherwise unknown or niche works to be known by a larger audience.

Think that characters like Captain Falcon would be as well-known if it weren't for their roles in Smash? What about the Fire Emblem or EarthBound series?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sakurai said back in pre-Melee that he would be adding a mix of popular and unpopular newcomers when he was deciding the roster. And it has been a tradition since and likely won't change for the next game. (excluding DLC)

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Some 3rd parties do have a level of star power, it’s just not comparable to larger icons like Pac-Man and Sonic. At the least, the 3rd party franchise should be a decently popular one like Bravely Default and Shovel Knight to be qualifiable, as Sakurai is likely not going to aim for obscure third-parties like Toejam and Earl, Goemon, and Marina Lightyears.
For 3rd parties, it's all about secondary 'all star' power now. The big 4 legends are all here.
I would say secondary ones are like Snake, Rayman ect.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

The other problem is Bomberman hasn't had a game in years and Konami seems to want nothing to do with the franchise.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
The other problem is Bomberman hasn't had a game in years and Konami seems to want nothing to do with the franchise.
I don't think this is as much of a problem. Mega Man hasn't been relevant for years and he was chosen over far more profitable Capcom series and Pac-Man got a more classic design as opposed to the Ghostly Adventures design I'm sure Namco would be more than happy to promote. I think Nintendo has quite a bit of influence over who shows up in these situations.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh man what is going on Smashboards!

I think Wolf is essentially a lock for DLC, and I think we'll definitely get a DK newcomer. I really hope Phil Spencer could work his magic and get Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. It would be great if they could work out a deal where the Banjo games could release on Virtual Console.
Hey it's yani! Hi yani!

:4megaman:

If Nintendo were to approach Konami about including Bomberman I don't think lack of a recent presence is going to weigh heavier than what they'd get out of it. You need a pretty damn good reason to turn down a Smash request I'd imagine, and I don't see that being one. Because it's not like the invitations are for "the character we want or the next best thing" it's likely "this character or nothing".

Then add Maxwell
He's WB owned.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I don't think being an "all-star"/having a legacy would matter much for first party characters. For third parties though, they have to have been a part of something big. But how much is enough to qualify? The biggest stars got in for obvious reasons, but we don't have anything to set the bar for anyone else.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Although it's super unlikely, Maxwell the Scribblenaut would be the best thing ever. The possibilities for his moveset are unlimited since he can summon literally everything. He also has been mainly Nintendo exclusive except for his last game that was also on steam.
I think the fact that he has unlimited potential, is in fact his problem, you can't narrow this stuff down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom