• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah let's choose unpopular characters for standalone DLC that's a good idea. :troll:

Seriously though, obscure/unpopular characters can work for the roster where you're going to get the whole thing as a package, but for content that is sold on its own individual merit, they're going to go with stuff they know will sell, which will exclude unpopular stuff.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wouldn't go that far.

It is best to remember that people who are voting on this isn't just the smash community. We have multiple people from multiple fandoms, (even outside of nintendo), voting on this. Voting on whatever character they want. Non nintendo fans could be voting for nintendo characters for all we know. People could also be rigging this by using multiple devices.

While I see characters like King K. Rool having a high amount of votes regardless, we don't really know who else could be a runner up for that due to multiple variables of the situation.
This is something I'm definitely keeping in mind. That being said, random casual voters aren't going to rally behind the sorts of characters people here are arguing "Nintendo might add and justify with the poll," like the Chorus Kids. They're also apt to forget about the poll after a few months, leaving the stronger say with the online fans obsessed/dedicated enough to keep voting.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Yeah let's choose unpopular characters for standalone DLC that's a good idea. :troll:

Seriously though, obscure/unpopular characters can work for the roster where you're going to get the whole thing as a package, but for content that is sold on its own individual merit, they're going to go with stuff they know will sell, which will exclude unpopular stuff.
Maybe initially. But if the character turns out to be unique/fun/enjoyable/whatever, then maybe they would be able to sell well, even if they stand alone.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
OK, quick topic, if Nintendo told Sakurai that he had to add a joke character as DLC and came to you for a suggestion, which character would you tell him?
I'd ask him for Shrek, mostly because I love the Shrek Takes Over pun.
People might just see me quoting this and say "aldelaro, we know it';s Mr L, you're boring", BUT NO!

I think Francis is the best!

:)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe initially. But if the character turns out to be unique/fun/enjoyable/whatever, then maybe they would be able to sell well, even if they stand alone.
Besides, I'd imagine characters like Spyro and Amaterasu would get soundtracks and stages to go along with them, so they wouldn't be stand alone exactly. (The other side of this is that they would take more work so this makes them less likely but I won't speak of that.)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You guys are going to buy all character DLC anyway regardless of how much you argue anyway. :smirk:

They could do DLC character bundles if that's ever a problem like with the costumes, plus it would be a good value.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
DLC doesn't gradually sell better over time, it goes the other way.

And every character they release is going to sell pretty well simply due to the virtue of them being a Smash character, but as far as the poll goes obv they're going to choose ones that will be predicted to sell better than others, it just makes sense financially, and Nintendo is a business first and foremost.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You guys are going to buy all character DLC anyway regardless of how much you argue anyway. :smirk:

They could do DLC character bundles if that's ever a problem like with the costumes, plus it would be a good value.
I'll probably buy King K. Rool even though he is meh. I'd also buy Amaterasu cause she is awesome! Who is with me! (Everyone leaves the room.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah they could, but there is no benefit to releasing an unpopular character when they could release a popular character as far as sales go.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Because obviously I was being literal when saying no one.
And I'm saying it's gonna be a big sell no matter who the character is. You have no idea about how much people eat DLC up, especially with how cheap Nintendo is selling their characters.

Not denying popularity helps, but the DLC is gonna be a huge profit regardless. I think it matters more when it comes to the development of the character.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There's a few benefits, that include bigger character exposure, free advertisement for the franchise, and a fanbase for people to draw fanart and videos for.
Who says there's no benefit at all?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
*Waits patiently for someone to mention the Rhythm Heaven 3DS game*

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
And I'm saying it's gonna be a big sell no matter who the character is. You have no idea about how much people eat DLC up, especially with how cheap Nintendo is selling their characters.

Not denying popularity helps, but the DLC is gonna be a huge profit regardless. I think it matters more when it comes to the development of the character.
If you're going to look at it that way they might as well just add palette swap clones then, super easy for them to make and a lot of people will buy, hooray. People just ate the Street Fighter X Tekken DLC right the **** up didn't they?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
There's a few benefits, that include bigger character exposure, free advertisement for the franchise, and a fanbase for people to draw fanart and videos for.
I think it's more like there's no reason to. These characters are ones you'd want to put in the main games, not because they won't sell, but because if you wanted a character to get exposure to begin with you'd be working on them from the very beginning. Being stand alone DLC seems kinda...pointless to me.

I'm pretty sure the ballot is because they DON'T have any more characters that they want to use for promotions or representation or whatever so they'll just go with whoever are the most popular to please more people. The only exception is a Rhythm Heaven character who was being worked on, but if the issue with the character was resolved they'd be DLC nonetheless.
*Waits patiently for someone to mention the Rhythm Heaven 3DS game*
If it's Rhythm Heaven I'm your guy.
If you're going to look at it that way they might as well just add palette swap clones then, super easy for them to make and a lot of people will buy, hooray. People just ate the Street Fighter X Tekken DLC right the **** up didn't they?
...What. That's not even comparable?????

Do you even know WHY people hated SFxT's DLC???????

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nintendo will produce a good amount of DLC in the future. As per Nintendo's standards, it will also be quality DLC.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It was a bit of a rude joke still.
Rude to who? Unpopular characters? I just don't see the point in making a ballot to vote for your favorite characters then make some of the characters unpopular ones, especially when there is not going to be that many. It displeases many fans and nets Nintendo less money.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Those benefits exist for all DLC, not just unpopular characters.

Yes, unpopular characters would make a bigger jump from their current standing, but every character is going to make a jump. Who do you think is going to turn a bigger profit? And which do you think Nintendo cares more about, an unpopular character who is selling well simply because they exist as a character, or a popular character more people know/want and therefore will be more likely to purchase?

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think it's more like there's no reason to. These characters are ones you'd want to put in the main games, not because they won't sell, but because if you wanted a character to get exposure to begin with you'd be working on them from the very beginning. Being stand alone DLC seems kinda...pointless to me.

I'm pretty sure the ballot is because they DON'T have any more characters that they want to use for promotions or representation or whatever so they'll just go with whoever are the most popular to please more people. The only exception is a Rhythm Heaven character who was being worked on, but if the issue with the character was resolved they'd be DLC nonetheless.

If it's Rhythm Heaven I'm your guy.

...What. That's not even comparable?????

Do you even know WHY people hated SFxT's DLC???????
You said people eat up DLC, you didn't people eat up DLC when it's not on disc. How do you think people would react to on disc DLC for Smash?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You said people eat up DLC, you didn't people eat up DLC when it's not on disc. How do you think people would react to on disc DLC for Smash?
But they're no on-disc so...what are you trying to prove?

Also the SFxT DLC fiasco was WAY more than just from being on-disc. That was hardly the biggest issue. On-disc DLC sells a LOT (why else would they do it lol?) despite the backlash it gets from a minority, and the SFxT DLC was Capcom being anti-consumer beyond belief and they were not even trying to hide it. That was a completely stupid business move all together.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I didn't mean that the DLC sales would continue to increase indefinitely. I meant that it would go from low sales to high sales and then eventually back to low sales.
That would also be insanely weird.

It makes sense regardless of the character for it to spike and go down.

A spike somewhere in the middle is nigh impossible with a game as big as Smash.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
That would also be insanely weird.

It makes sense regardless of the character for it to spike and go down.

A spike somewhere in the middle is nigh impossible with a game as big as Smash.
I never said that it would spike up in the middle. I was just saying that DLC sales might start off a little lower than usual for a not-so-popular character. But if that character turns out to be good quality and fun to play with, sales will spike up and follow more closely the sales pattern of a popular character DLC. And then like all good things, sales will decline and eventually come to an end.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I never said that it would spike up in the middle. I was just saying that DLC sales might start off a little lower than usual for a not-so-popular character. But if that character turns out to be good quality and fun to play with, sales will spike up and follow more closely the sales pattern of a popular character DLC. And then like all good things, sales will decline and eventually come to an end.

That is spiking in the middle though...

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

That is spiking in the middle though...
Not really. People would learn pretty quickly if a DLC character is really good, even if it is unpopular. I imagine that the spike would occur earlier than the middle of its duration. The spike would be later than the spike for a popular character DLC for sure, but still pretty early. And regardless of popularity, most of the time, sales will be declining.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not really. People would learn pretty quickly if a DLC character is really good, even if it is unpopular. I imagine that the spike would occur earlier than the middle of its duration. The spike would be later than the spike for a popular character DLC for sure, but still pretty early. And regardless of popularity, most of the time, sales will be declining.
That's still not how it works though hun. All the people who are going to buy it either because they want the specific character or simply because it's a new Smash character are going to buy it when it comes out, or shortly afterwards. The leftovers, the people who don't own the character and didn't care enough to initially buy it but somehow still find out it's one of good quality/fun to play (through online play?) are going to be slim in number, very very slim. It's not going to be our demographic, we're mostly the type who will buy any and all characters right when they release.

There's no way any character, popular or not, will be able to outmatch the sales they make in their launch window. That's just not how the DLC market works for blockbuster titles, even should they eventually bundle or discount the character.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
That's still not how it works though hun. All the people who are going to buy it either because they want the specific character or simply because it's a new Smash character are going to buy it when it comes out, or shortly afterwards. The leftovers, the people who don't own the character and didn't care enough to initially buy it but somehow still find out it's one of good quality/fun to play (through online play?) are going to be slim in number, very very slim. It's not going to be our demographic, we're mostly the type who will buy any and all characters right when they release.

There's no way any character, popular or not, will be able to outmatch the sales they make in their launch window. That's just not how the DLC market works for blockbuster titles, even should they eventually bundle or discount the character.
Ugh, fine mom. :p I concede. What you said makes sense.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I think that Nintendo is gonna reuse existing assets from past games (veterans) to save time/money and they probably would put extra work into creating at least one or two newcomers... so I think the DLC characters are gonna be Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, solo Ice Climber, Dixie Kong, and Inkling.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
That's still not how it works though hun.
You just said hun. You're my favorite person this week thus far.
Personally, I think that Nintendo is gonna reuse existing assets from past games (veterans) to save time/money and they probably would put extra work into creating at least one or two newcomers... so I think the DLC characters are gonna be Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, solo Ice Climber, Dixie Kong, and Inkling.
And YOU! You did NOT just say Dixie would be in over K. Rool. Have you any clue what kind of krazy talk you're speaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom