• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Even if some characters are high among requests they may never release the results, and in doing that they could put in Dixie or another character and just say they were just as highly requested and wed never know if that was true or not. Options will be weighed for sure, but as far as this goes i dont think they will just give us everything we want even with huge fan demand.

Last edited:
Cause you can't come back to something you haven't been to. :p
King K. Rool does look likely. I wonder... If you guys had to pick someone who has almost zero chance in smash, who would it be?
Hmmm viridi or ridley. The question i have asked myself for months.

On the one hand i like viridi more. On the other ridley is far less selfish and certainly a bigger all star .
i guess if i was sakurai and would have to pick the dragon. But i would buy viridii given the choice of one or the other

And you know what i meant about lucas dammit

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Even if some characters are high among requests they may never release the results, and in doing that they could put in Dixie or another character and just say they were just as highly requested and wed never know if that was true or not. Options will be weighed for sure, but as far as this goes i dont think they will just give us everything we want even with huge fan demand.
Me: But...But...Amaterasu
Everyone Else On This Thread: Shut up about your Amaterasu! Nobody cares!
I would say King K. Rool, Captain Toad, Midna, Inkling, Dixie Kong, or Wolf.
There's no way to know whether or not someone has "zero chance".
Characters like Amaterasu sadly have almost zero chance.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
EXCUSE ME? DID YOU JUST IMPLY MOTHER 3 IN AMERICA BEING ANNOUNCED IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN?

I WILL CUT YOU. I WILL CUT YOU NINE TIMES.
When it comes to Nintendo of America, I never count on them doing anything that's clearly a good idea. Saves me a lot of headache.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Me: But...But...Amaterasu
Everyone Else On This Thread: Shut up about your Amaterasu! Nobody cares!

Characters like Amaterasu sadly have almost zero chance.
Same thing with me, only with Spyro instead.
This purple dragon definitely has a chance of getting in, but it's small. Like really small.
And yet, here I am making stuff like this:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think Lucas and Wolf were both planned for the main game at some point.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Cause you can't come back to something you haven't been to. :p
King K. Rool does look likely. I wonder... If you guys had to pick someone who has almost zero chance in smash, who would it be?
Someone who has like zero chance, well I'd pick the grunt from Battalion Wars, I love that series and it gets nothing in smash. I would literally scream out in joy to see the grunt make it in as a character, but its highly unlikely. However I still did vote for him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It would be quite color-blind, not to mention patronizing, if Nintendo threw in a character who got a negligible vote count and used the poll as justification. If that's all they wanted, why pour the effort into a poll in over a dozen countries, then lead us on as though they'd have any effect?

In any case, fans create their own polls on a near-daily basis, so it's easy to fact-check whether a DLC newcomer is a believable "ballot choice."

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It would be quite color-blind, not to mention patronizing, if Nintendo threw in a character who got a negligible vote count and used the poll as justification. If that's all they wanted, why pour the effort into a poll in over a dozen countries, then lead us on as though they'd have any effect?

In any case, fans create their own polls on a near-daily basis, so it's easy to fact-check whether a DLC newcomer is a believable "ballot choice."
Not unless that's the only character we got from the poll. (Though I probably wouldn't care if it was Amaterasu.)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Really, with all the Capcom characters we want for Smash, Capcom should just make their own crossover fighter...pretty sure there's never going to be another Marvel vs. Capcom anyway.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
OK, quick topic, if Nintendo told Sakurai that he had to add a joke character as DLC and came to you for a suggestion, which character would you tell him?
I'd ask him for Shrek, mostly because I love the Shrek Takes Over pun.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's one thing to not originally have a Nintendo character on the shortlist, but it's quite another to not add them to the list of possible candidates upon seeing their massive popularity quantified via the ballot, which is why it exists in the first place, to provide Nintendo with information regarding the desires of the fanbase.

Nintendo's goal first and foremost with this DLC is to have it sell as well as they can. If they're going to omit highly popular, perfectly feasible characters who have a clear potential market evinced through the results of the poll, they're being nothing short of counterproductive. Recency and promotion has it's place, but characters who will sell, regardless of if they're not "current" do as well when it comes to buying characters on an individual basis and not as a package deal.

When you buy the initial game you don't have a choice as to which characters come with it, so they can stick as many partially promotion-related, partially recency-related additions as they want, but when you're doing nothing except for selling a character based on who that character is, you want to go for what you know will sell. At that point it matters a lot less when your last title is as long as you'd turn a respectable profit, which obviously the most requested characters would.
This.

I'd argue that such arbitrary things as "relevancy" matter less now than ever before. When it comes to DLC, the most logical choices for characters are those that are guaranteed to sell well. In other words, the characters with the most demand. Such things could, to some degree, be ignored when compiling the roster for the main game, as the entire package could easily entice consumers to buy the game as long as the product as a whole satisfied them. With DLC, each component must be evaluated individually, and if content in question doesn't interest the consumer, they have no reason to buy it. That's why the smartest choice for such characters are the ones that are heavily demanded; regardless of factors like "relevancy" and "promotion," if it's clear that a character will sell, and the character itself makes sense, they have little reason not to consider said character for DLC.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yeah but Sakurai is probably lying considering it's highly likely Snake was never involved in Smash 4's development.

They hadn't been cut yet at that point.
My point was whenever that interview was taken, it is clear that its point is outdated /now/ by Icies alone. To what extent, in regards to Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, and any other possible character, nobody truly knows but we can make assumptions up and down this forum.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This.

I'd argue that such arbitrary things as "relevancy" matter less now than ever before. When it comes to DLC, the most logical choices for characters are those that are guaranteed to sell well. In other words, the characters with the most demand. Such things could, to some degree, be ignored when compiling the roster for the main game, as the entire package could easily entice consumers to buy the game as long as the product as a whole satisfied them. With DLC, each component must be evaluated individually, and if content in question doesn't interest the consumer, they have no reason to buy it. That's why the smartest choice for such characters are the ones that are heavily demanded; regardless of factors like "relevancy" and "promotion," if it's clear that a character will sell, and the character itself makes sense, they have little reason not to consider said character for DLC.
So that means we must band together to help those poor unfortunate souls that got few votes!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My point was whenever that interview was taken, it is clear that its point is outdated /now/ by Icies alone. To what extent, in regards to Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, and any other possible character, nobody truly knows but we can make assumptions up and down this forum.
But that wasn't Kalimdori's point. He was just agreeing with my assertion that Lucas and Wolf were probably planned at one time because of what Sakurai said about the lack of cuts at whatever point in development that statement was made.

I don't think anybody would disagree that now the statement is outdated, I was talking about whether it was true in the first place.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But that wasn't Kalimdori's point. He was just agreeing with my assertion that Lucas and Wolf were probably planned at one time because of what Sakurai said about the lack of cuts at whatever point in development that statement was made.

I don't think anybody would disagree that now the statement is outdated, I was talking about whether it was true in the first place.
We could still get some choices that aren't the most popular, don't deny that possibility.
Not all of the most popular will make it as DLC.
So this means.....
Squirtle and Ivysaur were intended for smash. But that all changed when the fire nation attacked. But DLC can make the two rise from the ashes!

Burruni

Smash Hero

I concede. Sorry, I just got a LITTLE heated due to interpretating messages differently, as if taunting any Ice Climbers lovers with a point of "Wolf and Lucas couldn't have been cut content because there /wasn't/ any."

It being fairly late, college, and the fact that I haven't gotten a night's sleep without jumping awake in a cold sweat from a nightmare in probably 2 weeks now doesn't help to that irritability.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We could still get some choices that aren't the most popular, don't deny that possibility.
Don't expect that possibility to be likelier than it is either. It's one thing if we get a character who isn't topping the charts but might be on the shortlist like Dixie or a RH character, or one who might gain a lot of popularity later in the year like Krystal, it's another if we get one of the ones you like to prattle on about.

Not all of the most popular will make it as DLC.
Don't think anybody said all of them would, a lot of them aren't even Nintendo characters, but some of them definitely will.

I concede. Sorry, I just got a LITTLE heated due to interpretating messages differently, as if taunting any Ice Climbers lovers with a point of "Wolf and Lucas couldn't have been cut content because there /wasn't/ any."

It being fairly late, college, and the fact that I haven't gotten a night's sleep without jumping awake in a cold sweat from a nightmare in probably 2 weeks now doesn't help to that irritability.
No worries! Though I very much doubt that was the spirit in which the post was made.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I wouldn't go that far.

It is best to remember that people who are voting on this isn't just the smash community. We have multiple people from multiple fandoms, (even outside of nintendo), voting on this. Voting on whatever character they want. Non nintendo fans could be voting for nintendo characters for all we know. People could also be rigging this by using multiple devices.

While I see characters like King K. Rool having a high amount of votes regardless, we don't really know who else could be a runner up for that due to multiple variables of the situation.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Maybe Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS could go the path of League of Legends and have new characters every now and then until it stops being profitable. I mean, some people will always hate DLC content no matter the circumstances. But I never minded DLC because either I buy it or I dont. And my favorite thing in videogames is character variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom